Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821187 times)

marcumr, RolandK and 212 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70050 on: September 21, 2020, 05:48:26 pm »
Holy crap, it's 1 C outside.  :o Very unusual to be that cold this early. Been so cool over the past week that the landlord turned the furnace on so us tenants could have heat. He isn't required by law to provide heat until October 15.

It is always a sad day when you have to give up and fire up the heating for the first time, after the summer.  Very early this year.  Hopefully the warmth will launch a counter-attack.

I still have the A/C unit installed in the window. For sure if I take it out now the temp will go back up to 30 C. But it will come out for the season the first week in October.
High today here in the valley of the sun Scottsdale AZ.

104°
Hi
RealFeel® 107°
RealFeel Shade™ 102°
9/21
An a.m. shower or two; partly sunny, hot; caution advised if outside for extended periods of time

Bill

There's such a thing as too much of a good thing!  :D

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70051 on: September 21, 2020, 05:57:00 pm »
Holy crap, it's 1 C outside.  :o Very unusual to be that cold this early. Been so cool over the past week that the landlord turned the furnace on so us tenants could have heat. He isn't required by law to provide heat until October 15.

It is always a sad day when you have to give up and fire up the heating for the first time, after the summer.  Very early this year.  Hopefully the warmth will launch a counter-attack.

Chimneys get swept on Friday. Huge stack of split & well-seasoned logs in the woodsheds. At this time of year, I quite look forward to the First Fire!

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70052 on: September 21, 2020, 05:57:33 pm »
Something on topic for once...

Blatantly honest review starts with it's rather noisy but at least there's somewhere to put your cup and at least I have matching underwear now.

Review continues with praise about the user interface and features so far.

What's that skippy? It's a root shell.

It has vi on it. I like it.

Yo bossman 60 megs sa sa?

Edit: credit to tv84 and some encouragement from another thread member  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:40:10 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, Kosmic, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70053 on: September 21, 2020, 06:38:30 pm »
PuTTY makes everything your bitch.  >:D

mnem
Please make me a sandwich. sudo make me a sandwich.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70054 on: September 21, 2020, 06:51:15 pm »
PuTTY? Who needs PuTTY?
On my computers I'm having a bash.  8)   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #70055 on: September 21, 2020, 07:02:13 pm »
I'd be ripping those mutant ears off it right away...

I did tear down the HP 66311B on Sunday and took many pics, I just haven't had time to format and upload them to my filehosting site, and write the post, yet.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #70056 on: September 21, 2020, 07:16:43 pm »

Those ears allow you to stand it on either end while making connections without it toppling over. Should other gears from the same brand be stacked they all interlock to each other.

bd, enjoy the thing  ;) just sold my 6022X as a customer badly needed one and I only had that demo unit so now the 5 week wait for another to arrive.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70057 on: September 21, 2020, 07:29:47 pm »

Those ears allow you to stand it on either end while making connections without it toppling over. Should other gears from the same brand be stacked they all interlock to each other.

bd, enjoy the thing  ;) just sold my 6022X as a customer badly needed one and I only had that demo unit so now the 5 week wait for another to arrive.

Yes they're staying on.

Enjoying already. Just found it does DSB modulation as well. Winner!  :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70058 on: September 21, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »

Yes they're staying on.

:)
They can do Valentine hearts too should the fairer sex cross your path anytime soon.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/a-valentine_s-day-activity-for-your-scope-and-function-generator/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #70059 on: September 21, 2020, 07:39:11 pm »
Super flexible 6 port programmable PLL BG7TBL. 100KHz-200MHz

Now i can connect my non-10MHz lab.ref devices to my lab.ref.
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70060 on: September 21, 2020, 07:41:06 pm »

Yes they're staying on.

:)
They can do Valentine hearts too should the fairer sex cross your path anytime soon.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/a-valentine_s-day-activity-for-your-scope-and-function-generator/

Too much hassle  :-DD. My SDG1032X agrees.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #70061 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:15 pm »
just returned from a looting shopping trip ...

Saw a Canon 100-400 L IS USM II for a reasonable amount of money, and yes, I drove 500 km for it.

Greetings to Ferenginar.

You sure you didn't make a quick trip here? I just heard a police call for a larceny of a cross bow from a residence.  :P :-DD

who says I have a crossbow ? hmm, ummm ...
nah, I didn't. I have an alibi.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70062 on: September 21, 2020, 08:15:16 pm »

Blatantly honest review starts with it's rather noisy but at least there's somewhere to put your cup and at least I have matching underwear now.

Thats all very nice but its got a FAN!, once declared as your arch enemy  :wtf:.

1st order of the day I see was to nicely hack it become 60MHz, and I think I agree with AVG here, I'd be removing those mutant ears and sticking some stick on feet to provide airflow under it :palm:

Does it have modulation built in as well?, Make a reasonable AM RF generator if it has.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #70063 on: September 21, 2020, 08:19:58 pm »
Playing with the Keithley 238:

What's missing on the photo?
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70064 on: September 21, 2020, 08:20:45 pm »

Thats all very nice but its got a FAN!, once declared as your arch enemy  :wtf:.

1st order of the day I see was to nicely hack it become 60MHz, and I think I agree with AVG here, I'd be removing those mutant ears and sticking some stick on feet to provide airflow under it :palm:

Does it have modulation built in as well?, Make a reasonable AM RF generator if it has.
Only crossflow fan ventilation with closed tops and bottoms which at least prohibit grud falling onto the PCB like what buggered my TDS2012B.
Of course it has inbuilt modulation:
Multiple modulation types: AM, DSB-AM, FM, PM, FSK, ASK, PSK and PWM. The modulation source can be configured as “Internal” or “External”.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70065 on: September 21, 2020, 08:21:32 pm »

Yeah has AM FSK ASK DSB FM.

They do a 120MHz model under the 2000 series which would hit FM broadcast as well. BUT if I wanted an RF generator I think I'd still hit a Marconi 2019 or 2022 or something.

The fan is irritating I will add. It's not the fan but the stupidly designed grille on the side.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70066 on: September 21, 2020, 08:34:08 pm »

Yes they're staying on.

I cut those idiotic ears off my SDM 3055.  :--

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70067 on: September 21, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »
...The fan is irritating I will add. It's not the fan but the stupidly designed grille on the side.

Noctua love you long time.  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70068 on: September 21, 2020, 08:41:49 pm »

That looks mutilated  :-DD

...The fan is irritating I will add. It's not the fan but the stupidly designed grille on the side.

Noctua love you long time.  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:

Be Quiet shit goes around here. Cheaper!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70069 on: September 21, 2020, 08:44:01 pm »

That looks mutilated  :-DD

Maybe so but better than those fucking rhino horns.  :o ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70070 on: September 21, 2020, 08:49:57 pm »
Here's what it looks like if you remove those idiotic baby buggy bumpers. But the front feet are integrated into the bumper.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70071 on: September 21, 2020, 08:58:22 pm »
Think I just found the king of all turds  :palm:      Sorry for the crap picture. I can’t find a better one of it.

Yes please. With a side of     .  >:D

Unfortunately saw that P of S on ePay a while ago, not sure why anyone would want that in their living room as a lamp.  :palm:

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
Re: SMtechno SPT-5010A
« Reply #70072 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:46 pm »
Just got a private message recently thru Whatsapp from my local industrial complex recyler/salvager company, as I'm their regular addict buying customer.  :palm:

Them : Dude, got a new toy here, from our latest recyling from a factory, for you since you're regular, its cheeeepp  >:D
Me : Huh ? Whats that ?
Them : You do like zapping stuffs with high voltage right ? (last time they gave me a NOS 15KV neon sign transformer, as a gift (free) as part of the deal I made)
Me : Hmm .. well .. sort of and depends, but again whats that ?
Them : Its made in Korea, its quite heavy too, about 9kg (20lbs), and you do like heavy electronic stuffs right ?
Me : ... (Oh no, damn it  :'( ... they know my weak heart on these kinda things) ..
Them : It does output 0-5kV, and inside it has a big transformer "AND" a variac, want it ?
Me : ... (reading the words big transformer "AND" variac inside really ignited my interest) ...

... and later on ... after many chats exchanges, photos and bargaining ... for about $27 ... here I am with this thing.  ::)

As usual, don't need it, but at least I've done my obligatory TEA ritual properly, that hopefully made TEA's GOD happy, and getting closer to the promised TEA heaven gate, am I ?  :scared:  :palm:

Tear down photos coming next.

Here we go, tear down of the SMtechno SPT-5010A attached below.

All the manual and even the brochure are in Korean, none in English, had to use Google Translate.  ::)

It has three transformers, the autotransformer (variac), smaller one in the middle for the auxiliary power for the control circuitry and finally the huge one for final step-up.

Any one have any idea what kind of HV plug type needed for the big white HV terminal ? Is that proprietary ?

Basically inside still looks very new and dust free, as it has no vent holes at all.

Sometimes they are custom made for the unit, we have an older Megger AC/DC unit at work which is completely useless because they didn't salvage the test leads with it when a department closed (now has disposable cardboard quality houses being built on it)  :palm:, the tests leads are now obsolete.

But that one looks to use a long insulated 4mm type, whether you can find a suitable generic HV test lead I don't know.

The Clare unit I acquired recently is a special with a factory fitted safe-block for the output (so you can just stuff the leads of the device under test in "bigclive" style).  >:D
I'll try & add some pictures (when I get time) now I've been over to the strange unit to grab a picture of the unit, already took some of the inside a while ago.

The electronics lab at work had a Clare flash test unit with a large cabinet area with clear interlocked doors and smaller area with another interlocked clear panel, for putting the devices under test, the unit was 2.5kV AC version with ordinary 4mm sockets for use with any test leads and had a 60sec timer.

David

Any one have any idea what kind of HV plug type needed for the big white HV terminal ? Is that proprietary ?

The leads for your tester are probably these, hopefully you will be able to find something to fit.

David

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70073 on: September 21, 2020, 10:21:09 pm »
Well fuck it. My 90 year old neighbour has decided to turn the TV up to 11 this evening to the point I can’t actually hear my own one or my own thoughts.

Audio revenge is being sought on YouTube at the moment. Going to stick the BT speaker I have up the fucking chimney. It sounds like ass but it’s louder than a loud thing from planet deaf so it’ll either flush a couple of dead pigeons into her fire place or knock her ornaments off the fire.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #70074 on: September 21, 2020, 10:31:14 pm »
In such cases And when I still had my Quadral Titan MK 3 in active config, I only turned on the bass amp 2*200W) and set the subharmonic synthesizer to double bass and blend out everything above 50 Hz, and put on a nice 26 Hz sawtooth at full amp output before leaving the house. Infrasonic terror is nasty, but efficient.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf