Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563451 times)

Robert763 and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70475 on: September 26, 2020, 06:51:59 pm »
Already at the whiskey mule & asian rice crackers, might get on the Discord as well  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70476 on: September 26, 2020, 07:04:44 pm »

Mmmmokayyy... I'm off to get mugged at ESI; pray for me.  :scared:

I will be taking the boi for immoral support.  >:D

mnem
 :bullshit:

So how did it go?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #70477 on: September 26, 2020, 07:16:26 pm »
For the motorcyclist enthusiasts here: have you ever spotted a Wankel motorbike?

For example this one:

Wikipedia about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_W-2000

A neighbour's daughter's boyfriend had one of these. I remember being suitably impressed, though any machinery impressed me at that age (short pants, late 1970s maybe very early 1980s).

Heads up for the UK lads here, I just got back from some last minute shopping and Tesco's have introduced queueing again and are limiting the number of customers in their stores at any one time FFS! Apparently it's because of panic buyers and Covid-19. The meat section was almost bare and I'm talking about a large store here. No chicken breasts, a few chickens and drumsticks or thighs was all the chicken they had as well, shit paper was also stripped bare  :palm:

Must be some southern perversion, no problems up here.

OK, UK guys. She signed up "Britbox" this morning and is binge watching "East Enders". For those who don't know it's a British Soap Opera.

Any chance I'm gonna see any of you guys in this?  :P :-DD

"Get ahht ov my pub!"

Eastenders is for masochists. Carry On films on the other hand, are hilarious, if you like fairly basic slapstick/toilet humour.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70478 on: September 26, 2020, 07:22:35 pm »
Eastenders is for masochists. Carry On films on the other hand, are hilarious, if you like fairly basic slapstick/toilet humour.

Prefer Bottom for such things

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70479 on: September 26, 2020, 07:36:15 pm »
Carry on is for double (single?) entendres (along with Frankie "Titter-ye-not" Howerd), Bottom is for pure genius slapstick violence. Deadpool can make me belly laugh, Bottom can make me struggle for breath.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70480 on: September 26, 2020, 07:49:45 pm »

[...]  Incidentally the 6205B is probably my favourite power supply ever now.  [...]

This family of power supplies have to rank among the best stuff ever made.   Good noise levels, accurate, stable, reliable...  everything you'd expect, until you see how a lot of modern stuff doesn't deliver on the basics.

Exactly that. They are the pinnacle of power supply engineering. Perfectly balanced in all aspects. And unlike later HP models, no fan and no annoying as shit humming transformer!

The later TTi PL series (PL3xx) are very close and have some of the more modern metering and setting convenience but the form factor is a pain in the ass on the bench. I like my stackables too  :-DD

Another old picture. HP power supplies debugging an HP power supply :D

Added Pomona and Fluke for perfect bliss.

Incidentally I found out that Simon Spiers owns the Fluke 87 now. Celebrity  :-DD
Good old Simon, actually I believe that he is a fellow member of this forum but I don't think of this thread.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:01:30 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70481 on: September 26, 2020, 08:00:39 pm »
For the motorcyclist enthusiasts here: have you ever spotted a Wankel motorbike?

For example this one:

A neighbour's daughter's boyfriend had one of these. I remember being suitably impressed, though any machinery impressed me at that age (short pants, late 1970s maybe very early 1980s).

Heads up for the UK lads here, I just got back from some last minute shopping and Tesco's have introduced queueing again and are limiting the number of customers in their stores at any one time FFS! Apparently it's because of panic buyers and Covid-19. The meat section was almost bare and I'm talking about a large store here. No chicken breasts, a few chickens and drumsticks or thighs was all the chicken they had as well, shit paper was also stripped bare  :palm:

Must be some southern perversion, no problems up here.

OK, UK guys. She signed up "Britbox" this morning and is binge watching "East Enders". For those who don't know it's a British Soap Opera.

Any chance I'm gonna see any of you guys in this?  :P :-DD

"Get ahht ov my pub!"

Carry on is for double (single?) entendres (along with Frankie "Titter-ye-not" Howerd), Bottom is for pure genius slapstick violence. Deadpool can make me belly laugh, Bottom can make me struggle for breath.
Actually I like all of them, they can all make me ache from laughing so much, so can Mrs Browns Boys. My family on the other hand cannot see anything funny in any of them and think I'm nuts for laughing at them  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70482 on: September 26, 2020, 09:05:25 pm »
The transformer is at the right end of the case, indeed.
This nice little lab supply is not made for bench use only. For use in test systems, typically mounted in racks, the transformer at the front is nearest to the mechanical mounting point of the unit -minimizing the length of the lever.

That is undoubtedly similar to the argument Ferry Porsche made when he designed the 911.
Nevertheless I maintain it's at the wrong end! I have a few rack mount units, and this and the K2000 are the only ones with this mutant form.
I might add, that due to the ruggedness of the construction, you might reasonably say that the rack mounts on to the TE, and not the other way around...   ;D

You can add the HP 34401A to the list of TE with the transformer at the front, the power switch is at the back though with a long plastic actuator to the front panel.

David

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70483 on: September 26, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »

Damn you, that's reminded me of dark chocolate Hobnobs, something which are apparently still made, just not stocked by any of the local shops or supermarkets here.  >:(

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70484 on: September 26, 2020, 09:21:44 pm »
   Mmmmokayyy... I'm off to get mugged at ESI; pray for me.  :scared:   I will be taking the boi for immoral support.  >:D

mnem
 :bullshit:
So how did it go?

Here's a few highlights... sorry for the crappy phone pix; I really was not prepared for the spelunking expedition this turned out to be. ;)

This place is huge, stacked floor to ceiling with just the sort of stuff we all look for and love. The guy who runs it is reasonable, and he knows what the stuff is worth. But I, unfortunately, did not have enough discretionary funds for the stuff I wanted. There were a few items; a PSU especially that still niggles at me, but I just don't have the budget to spend that much on a fixer-upper right now. :-\

In all honesty, I really shouldn't have gone today so soon after my fall; my back and knee were just killing me by the time I got halfway through the place and it was all I could do to stand while we discussed prices. However, I'm sure I'll be back after I flip a few unneeded stuffs.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:30:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster, bd139, factory

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70485 on: September 26, 2020, 09:34:36 pm »
Ok, pics.

337: Front.

338: Ex-power-switch.

342: Flapper. Can't call it a fin, being that loose.

Case opened. I've never done this before, so thumbs held.

Ouch another delivery victim, was the power switch broken before you bought it? I hope you can fix it, I've had to glue some HP meter frames back together before.

I prefer the earlier looking ones myself, so far I have a late 60's Harrison/HP 6205B & an early 60's HP 721A (Made in Germany) for low voltage and a late 60's HP 711A & Harrison 6209A (age not checked) for higher voltage (also a delivery victim due to of lack of packing).

I would like one of the small earlier Harrison power supplies, they look a bit like the later plastic HP ones but in a metal case, anyone bought one and can they be converted to 240V mains input?

David

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70486 on: September 26, 2020, 10:01:24 pm »
Some sexy power supplies in that post  :-+

Never seen a small Harrison one before. Any pictures?

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70487 on: September 26, 2020, 10:43:50 pm »
Something from this range, I don't actually know how big they are, all the early Harrison power supplies are in the US of course, hence the question about mains voltage conversion.

edit: the Harrison 865B is described as being less than 8" wide (actually 7 13/16" x 4 1/16" x 8 1/2"), so maybe not that small after all, the HP 721A is smaller, not sure I can find much earlier information (HP took over Harrison in 1961).
https://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1962-07.pdf

David
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:09:43 pm by factory »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #70488 on: September 26, 2020, 11:00:53 pm »
A free tech tip if you're ever working on the carb on one of these small 2-cycle motors: Once you put it all back together (note that the longer adjustment needle is usually the LO side), turn both adjuster screws all the way in until they bottom out, then back the LO one out 1 3/8 turns, and the HI one 1 7/8 turns. Prime, choke, etc per directions (some models have a half-choke position while some will automatically unchoke as soon as you crack the throttle open), then run the thing for a few minutes by feathering the throttle as needed to warm it up. NOW, adjust the HI by holding the trigger at WOT and cranking the HI screw out til the burn starts to clear up, then starts to break up, then crank it in until it starts to break up again. Set the HI screw halfway between the two points.

Now the LO screw: 9 times out of 10, you don't need to adjust this at all from 1 3/8 turns; first set the idle SPEED screw so it keeps running, then crank it out until it starts to buck/labor. Now turn the idle speed in (higher rpm) again until it smooths out, plus half a turn.

At this point, if the engine is warm, you should be able to hit the throttle and it'll ramp up quickly. If it bogs, open the LO screw a hair... like 1/16 turn at a time... until it ramps up like it should. Now a final check of the HI screw at WOT again; it may need 1/16 or so either way to clear up, but usually will be right on here too, and should idle down without dying. If it dies, adjust the idle SPEED up a hair, checking for bogging vs dying as it comes down from WOT.

If your engine doesn't behave like this, almost without a doubt you've missed something while cleaning, or if it is old enough, the primary diaphragm has gotten stiff and a proper rebuild with kit is necessary. But note: both of these machines are 12 years old, came from a snow-belt climate, and were still easily restored with just new fuel lines/filters and a proper cleaning. :-+

Now go burn some 2-cycles!!!

mnem
 :popcorn:

Thanks for this.  I have a Poulan chain saw that I need to get a carb for.  For the price, it is easier to buy a kit with carb, filter and fuel line.  Also have a Craftsman weed wacker that likes to bog.  Hopefully the adjustments will help.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70489 on: September 26, 2020, 11:29:07 pm »
Something from this range, I don't actually know how big they are, all the early Harrison power supplies are in the US of course, hence the question about mains voltage conversion.

edit: the Harrison 865B is described as being less than 8" wide (actually 7 13/16" x 4 1/16" x 8 1/2"), so maybe not that small after all, the HP 721A is smaller, not sure I can find much earlier information (HP took over Harrison in 1961).
https://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1962-07.pdf

David

That's rather nice actually.

On the tiny power supply front, I'm after a Philbrick PR-30. But they are definitely USA only :(

Data: http://philbrickarchive.org/pr30.pdf

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70490 on: September 27, 2020, 12:46:21 am »

Damn you, that's reminded me of dark chocolate Hobnobs, something which are apparently still made, just not stocked by any of the local shops or supermarkets here.  >:(

David

seriously?  i have gotten dark chocolate hobnobs at the supermarket in gettysburg.  no really.......how can that be?

an unrelated question........  were there ever any results in the wd40 white stuff experiment?  have been busy with a 920 Mhz transverter and may have missed it.
free range primate

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70491 on: September 27, 2020, 02:50:02 am »

For example this one:

There were more Wankel bikes than this one. There was also a heavy enduro aimed at the military market under the 'one fuel policy' (F54).

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #70492 on: September 27, 2020, 08:35:26 am »

On the tiny power supply front, I'm after a Philbrick PR-30. But they are definitely USA only :(

That is one seriously cute supply. And very much a product illustrating how much semiconductors have advanced, not only in how few nanometers are needed for things in IC's but also in mundane things like a "simple" supply as this one. 30mA max current! It is almost never under 1A if I was to buy one today, thanks to 7[89]xx jellybeans. Even I can build one!  :-DD (Actually, a perfboard 7[89]15 circuit is one of the first things I did build from scratch, just by squinting at the datasheet (yeah, copycat) and it is powering my kitchen buffer amplifier as I type. )

Edit: For the small sum of ~60 $ plus shipping it can be yours!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:37:19 am by mansaxel »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70493 on: September 27, 2020, 09:36:40 am »
I once drove a Saab 3 cyl two stroke car - The sound was awesome, but it was a smoky experience overall!

Was that the one with the petrol cabin/pre-heater  that could be used with the engine off?

No, that was found in VW products of that era,  the air cooled VW engine had problems keeping the cabin warm in really cold climates - hence, the petrol cabin heater.

Saab and Volvo both had 3rd party ones available as factory or dealer options, afaik. It's a little outside my area of automotive expertise, but I expect someone on the Autoshite forum knows, I could ask.

I never could enjoy Bottom, though I liked Mayall and Edmondson in about everything else they ever did. The thing that makes me near expire laughing are the Peter Sellers Pink Panther films.

I pulled the trigger on that Ender 3 offer last night after Discord...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:43:25 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #70494 on: September 27, 2020, 09:49:20 am »

Saab and Volvo both had 3rd party ones available as factory or dealer options, afaik. It's a little outside my area of automotive expertise, but I expect someone on the Autoshite forum knows, I could ask.

It usually was an after-market add-on, often OEM by Eberspächer, and today is pretty common as a factory option especially in diesel engine vehicles.  IIRC the combustion in them is not as tightly environmentally regulated as for the engine proper, which is somewhat offset by the fact that they will reduce the cold start emissions significantly.  Me, I go for electric pre-heater for the engine. Even if electricity is coal-fired (which hardly ever happens here, except for import power) the emissions per kWh are much less than if sooting locally.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70495 on: September 27, 2020, 10:07:08 am »
Ugh, cheap bloody tubes...

My insectocutor decided to not work yesterday. A quick teardown today revealed one of the heater coils in one of the tubes has gone o/c.
Since it's a cheap design that relies on the series resistance of all 4 heater coils to operate, it's kaput until more tubes arrive.   |O

EDIT: Hah, found buried treasure when I went to put the dead tube in the box I use for recycling them.

A CW tube of the same size (T5, 6W) that I must have thrown for being a stupid size (8W is a more common T5 size for me). I think it must have come out of an old battery camping light, but whatever, it means I have a working 'cutor, if a slightly bright one!   ^-^

EDIT: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-tektronix-2465b-400mhz-for-repairparts-(uk-ox12)/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:54:53 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #70496 on: September 27, 2020, 12:57:04 pm »
6206B saga continues:

The front cleans up nicely.

The selector switch assembly is both filthy and broken. I need to get it out by desoldering, I'm afraid, or it won't fix or clean up.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70497 on: September 27, 2020, 01:35:07 pm »
Eish that's a nasty job. Hope the switch is repairable!

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70498 on: September 27, 2020, 02:21:48 pm »
Got an offer, Tek 465B at $40, cosmetically flawless but complete dead, never opened nor repaired, worth the risk ? :-//

$40? No brainer. Go for it. Both bd and myself can help you fix it if you get stuck.

Edit.....most likely a shorted tant holding down one of the supply voltages.

@Med, bd and other 465B aficionados, the seller is acting up and raises the price.  :(

Currently I'm on business travel and out of town, while the seller is about 30 minutes from my current location, and all communication, bargaining was thru Whatsapp, so I only can touch this thing when the deal is done, and I will visit him and grab it physically and ship it home my self.

As the price change, I ask the seller to open it up at take pictures, under my threat that he must put all screws back, even one missing means no deal.  >:D  >:D  >:D

As the price increased now to 70 bucks, again, its completely dead, is it still worth the risk ?

Photos from seller attached below.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:25:09 pm by BravoV »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70499 on: September 27, 2020, 02:38:17 pm »
Fuck that noizz. Either the price he offered it at or piss off; this isn't 3-card Monty on the street corner FFS. :palm: When you get there, it's gonna be $150.  ::) And then you still have to pay to ship it home.

mnem
*grumpy-dwagon not in the mood to suffer fools*
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:42:04 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, wolfy007

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf