Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563947 times)

Pilatus and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70750 on: September 29, 2020, 07:06:28 pm »
Remove the antivirus software and try again  :-DD

(Seriously)
Nope, nothing doing, its a risk to far that one.

My point is that if you remove it, windows defender will do its thing and that’s a perfectly good AV system that doesn’t go fucking mental every two minutes.
The AV that I'm using is about the most respected of the lot and in my experience, it seldom gives an alert, but when it does I think its best to respect it. It seems to be the one that proffesionals turn to do when shit happens, its Malwarebytes and can even remove rootkills.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #70751 on: September 29, 2020, 07:07:36 pm »
My point is that if you remove it, windows defender will do its thing and that’s a perfectly good AV system that doesn’t go fucking mental every two minutes.
i use ESET...one of the best...low impact on speed... multilayer security... just have a look...

I limit myself to protection in the web browser, at least on OS X. µMatrix is very good at stopping malevolent shites.
The children of course have Windows Defender.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70752 on: September 29, 2020, 07:13:09 pm »
Okaaaayyy...  :o

In all honesty, I think maybe I'd prefer if it were that nukular flashlight Fry & Bender were faffing about with...  ???

mnem
"Owww! My Sperm!!!"
Oh come on dude... they are in the milliwatt range at most.

Microwave sensors, product of the devil. They were often used in schools and because the things can sense you through walls, it would mean that lights in adjacent classrooms etc would often be ON even when there was nobody in the rooms. Much rather have the passive Infra-red sensors but of course they did not have the range of the microwave ones, thus slaves would be required to provide adequate coverage in classrooms and classrooms etc.

Actually, it was Specmaster's point above I was talking aboot. In the long run, I think that nukular flashlight would cause less misery...  :palm:

mnem
 :popcorn:
I agree, when you think that young children are exposed to that kind of radiation for all the time they are at school, it might well in the milliwatt power area, but added to the natural levels of radiation and for the amount of exposure that is a step too far in my view.

It's non-ionising radiation so no cumulative effect. No other effects at the levels involved.

BTW Nuclear torches (flashlights) actually exist:
https://www.survivalgear.nl/us/betalight-betalight-torch.html
They loose half their brightness in 12.5 years. Availabilty and licence requirements vary by country. I have a couple of betalights. One allows me to find the light switch amongst all the TE in the loft space.

It's no

Betalights are also used in some train pressure gauges & speedometers for background illumination, tricky little buggers to remove & replace when they've been stuck down with silicone sealant. I think we stopped repairing them due to the cost of disposing of the waste.

David

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70753 on: September 29, 2020, 07:23:50 pm »
Anyone interested in a Philips PM6630 counter with 800MHz pre-scaler? my offer was to low.
eBay auction: #174455244655

The same seller has been listing some interesting TE recently, including a Gertsch RT-18 Ratio Tran, HP 410B & 3440A voltmeters and a Fluke 883AB Differential voltmeter.

David

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70754 on: September 29, 2020, 07:26:46 pm »
Remove the antivirus software and try again  :-DD

(Seriously)

i use ESET...one of the best...low impact on speed... multilayer security... just have a look...
I use Malwarebytes, it has almost zero impact on the speed of my PC and is constantly scanning in the background and will often pop a report in the bottom right of the screen giving the results of its back scans. Take a look at this, I used to have the free one but it was only basic and then I upgraded to the premium single user with a voucher after I had an email from a scammer who claimed they had details of my passwords etc and demanded payment in bitcoins or else. Probably got my details from one of the hacks on various companies systems. Passwords have been changed as a precaution though. Malwarebytes also includes anti ransomware as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70755 on: September 29, 2020, 07:30:57 pm »
Eastenders is for masochists. Carry On films on the other hand, are hilarious, if you like fairly basic slapstick/toilet humour.

Prefer Bottom for such things

Damn you, that's reminded me of dark chocolate Hobnobs, something which are apparently still made, just not stocked by any of the local shops or supermarkets here.  >:(

David

seriously?  i have gotten dark chocolate hobnobs at the supermarket in gettysburg.  no really.......how can that be?

Yes seriously I can't find them anywhere locally, although given the fact you have them over in the US maybe I should try Crewe International Supermarket instead.  :-DD

Not that they do me any good, same with coconut based biscuits & cakes, I like them but they don't like me, lots of gut pain if I have any more than one or two a week.  :(

David

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #70756 on: September 29, 2020, 07:34:54 pm »
*sigh* shitty day at work, absofuckinglutely horrible.

But. What can you do ...

lugged my loot from the week end upstairs.
There's a lot of stuff that calls for my immersement, such as many coils, caps, mosfets, -...

Seems that the previous owner was designing SMPS ...

I'll try to make a couple of photos later on.
Picked up an intel CPU to bring the Fujitsu workstation board (C246 for 1151-H4) back to life. The board was from my recent Reichelt loot. And, it works.

Next tasks: clean a Streacom FC8 EVO aluminum case that showed up at my door to make it presentable again (new heatpipes are on order, and I hate gorillas ...)
recover a WD Book live mininas
Pack a box to ship out a Metra Hit 28S to a forum member.
*sigh*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70757 on: September 29, 2020, 07:35:21 pm »
The AV that I'm using is about the most respected of the lot and in my experience, it seldom gives an alert, but when it does I think its best to respect it. It seems to be the one that proffesionals turn to do when shit happens, its Malwarebytes and can even remove rootkills.

One doesn't remove malware. One DBANs the machine and restores it from the last known good backup. If you have to break out Malwarebytes for anything you already fucked up.

Windows Defender is rather good these days. It has somewhat grown in scope to Microsoft ATP now. I suggest people look further into it. It's not just AV. They run a massive global threat intelligence operation. They have 10x better visibility of zero days coming in and the infrastructure and resources to ship protection to people. They also have a pretty large sandbox, honeypot and dataset to play with (Azure / O365)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:37:15 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70758 on: September 29, 2020, 07:42:36 pm »
Bah!

Damn -hp- and their undocumented revisions!

All the 6206B manuals I can find have a SPST mains switch. The specimen in front of me clearly has a DPST one, and some smaller changes in the mains wiring.  Thus, documented:

It's not undocumented, you just haven't got the right version of the manual* for your later PSU, I've had to change quite a few toggle switches in boat-anchor grade HP stuff, they often fail open circuit.

*I have the same problem, the manual I possess is never the right version for whatever revision of TE I'm working on, followed by lots of head-scratching trying to work out all the design changes due to obsolete Ge components or elf"n"safety non-improvements.  :phew:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70759 on: September 29, 2020, 07:45:53 pm »

One doesn't remove malware. One DBANs the machine and restores it from the last known good backup. If you have to break out Malwarebytes for anything you already fucked up.

Windows Defender is rather good these days. It has somewhat grown in scope to Microsoft ATP now. I suggest people look further into it. It's not just AV. They run a massive global threat intelligence operation. They have 10x better visibility of zero days coming in and the infrastructure and resources to ship protection to people. They also have a pretty large sandbox, honeypot and dataset to play with (Azure / O365)

Thats just it, I was using Windows Defender, and I was getting sluggish performance at times, things would take ages to load. Since I installed Malwarebytes and scanned, found a keylogger and a few trojans, I have had no further problems.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70760 on: September 29, 2020, 07:48:56 pm »
My latest acquisition   >:D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avo-Megger-Insulation-Tester-/184457241904

Time to teach some apprentices some respect for electricity!   :-DD

I believe that I have previously regaled you all with tales of my Physics teacher who used to use the whole class, holding hands, as a transmission line,  with one end at the Wimshurst's machine and the other at Tony Hannigan, holding a well earthed radiator pipe.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70761 on: September 29, 2020, 07:54:42 pm »

Thats just it, I was using Windows Defender, and I was getting sluggish performance at times, things would take ages to load. Since I installed Malwarebytes and scanned, found a keylogger and a few trojans, I have had no further problems.
...................................................................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that's where the Ceefour comes to play ...

In such cases I bruteerase the hard drive. If need be with a belt grinder.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70762 on: September 29, 2020, 08:01:20 pm »
Exactly. MB doesn't have a great hit rate. You don't build a dam by starting with a sieve and plugging all the holes you can find until the water stops.

what the hell have you been installing? ?!?!?  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70763 on: September 29, 2020, 08:01:42 pm »
They loose half their brightness in 12.5 years. Availabilty and licence requirements vary by country. I have a couple of betalights. One allows me to find the light switch amongst all the TE in the loft space.

At university the original build of the Student's Union/Refectory building used big betalights for all the emergency exit signs in the building. The Student Union had the official university builders in to remodel the big room used as a venue and in the process those builders skipped all the betalights, cracking some in the process. I bubbled them up to the university's radiological protection officer. Aside from all the trivial sources you'll find in any University we had a sodding huge 60Co source buried 20 feet below and behind the science block, so his job was more than a 'tick box' effort. He was a decent sensible bloke who was quite reasonable to deal with, but (rightly) completely intolerant of people who were stupid with regard to flaunting the rules. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall while he tore them a new one.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #70764 on: September 29, 2020, 08:07:09 pm »
Strange folks you are. I never have problems with malware on Windows. Might have something to do with my PC is running on Debian  >:D
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70765 on: September 29, 2020, 08:12:17 pm »
I think FreeBSD would be a better choice, tbh. Back in those days my PC was running IRIX 6.5 ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70766 on: September 29, 2020, 08:17:47 pm »
Exactly. MB doesn't have a great hit rate. You don't build a dam by starting with a sieve and plugging all the holes you can find until the water stops.

what the hell have you been installing? ?!?!?  :-DD
Well, decent AV is meant to scan what you download before you install and then keep on monitoring, otherwise, whats the point  :-// :-DD

Bye the way, that 34401A is now down to £320, just saying.....
Who let Murphy in?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #70767 on: September 29, 2020, 08:18:33 pm »
Nice. I remember SINIX on some university computers ...
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70768 on: September 29, 2020, 08:19:00 pm »
I found the time to finish the re-cap.

Plugged it in, hit power. Came up with a nice trace. Everything at least seems to work so far except the scale illumination bulbs are burnt out. I have not made any adjustments yet. Going to let it cook for a while. Tomorrow I'll do the final set up.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, syau, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70769 on: September 29, 2020, 08:21:21 pm »
I wonder just how many of the newer scopes would do that when they reach the same age, probably zero  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70771 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:34 pm »
Well, decent AV is meant to scan what you download before you install and then keep on monitoring, otherwise, whats the point  :-// :-DD

Bye the way, that 34401A is now down to £320, just saying.....

AV is like a bouncer at a club. He eyes you up before you go in looking for obvious signatures of trouble and checking you against a list of known bad guys. However there are a lot of fresh fucktards out there and ones wearing fake glasses and moustaches who get flagged in and piss in a sink or glass someone. At that point it's too late. Better to have a guest list and only invite folk with credentials to your party.

Yes I'm still thinking about it. It's that or a nice Dawes Karakum touring bike which is the dilemma :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70772 on: September 29, 2020, 08:25:40 pm »
I found the time to finish the re-cap.

Plugged it in, hit power. Came up with a nice trace. Everything at least seems to work so far except the scale illumination bulbs are burnt out. I have not made any adjustments yet. Going to let it cook for a while. Tomorrow I'll do the final set up.

Excellent work as always. Enjoying watching this come together  :-+

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70773 on: September 29, 2020, 08:27:31 pm »
I wonder just how many of the newer scopes would do that when they reach the same age, probably zero  :-DD

Yes indeed. I've decided I'm going to keep the SDS1202X-E until it snuffs it. I reckon ~5 years and it'll brick itself irrecoverably somehow. That gives me a year to get it sorted for free from Telonic  :-DD (joy to CRA 2015)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70774 on: September 29, 2020, 08:37:29 pm »

At university the original build of the Student's Union/Refectory building used big betalights for all the emergency exit signs in the building. The Student Union had the official university builders in to remodel the big room used as a venue and in the process those builders skipped all the betalights, cracking some in the process. I bubbled them up to the university's radiological protection officer. Aside from all the trivial sources you'll find in any University we had a sodding huge 60Co source buried 20 feet below and behind the science block, so his job was more than a 'tick box' effort. He was a decent sensible bloke who was quite reasonable to deal with, but (rightly) completely intolerant of people who were stupid with regard to flaunting the rules. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall while he tore them a new one.

Indeed, I was throwing someing in a WEEE skip a few years ago and saw a radar T/R tube in there. It was a tritium doped type. I dug it out and gave it and advice to the skip "owner". The problem was not the amount of radioactive materal but the fact it had a warning trefoil on it. scrappies have had it hammered into them to call the authorities if the fnd anything with a trefoil. This was becuse of a couple of incidents wth larger sources. A multi-million dollar clean-up of a foundery grabs more attention than somone getting radiation burns. The T/R tubes declared initial activity was 1Bq below the quantity were it could be disposed in land-fill. There is a requirement tha the radiation warnings are removed and you have to make sure it's landfill not incineration and there is a limit to how many per cubic mer of waste. The responsible person decided not to belive me or my reference to the current disposal route, they paid  consultant to dispose of it. I'm 100% certain they scraped the markins off and put it in a skip going to land fill.
Not an option for Beta lights, theay thousands of time higher activity than the landfill limit. Either storag for 125 years or tritium recovery for them.
To keep on topic, some test equipment and a fair few radio bits use betalights.  To be honest a bit of tritium gas from a broken betalight would not bother me too much (ventillate room and drink lots of beer (it increases water exchange in body reducing the biological hlf life of any tritium that bound to water.)
The Nickel 63 foils used in some lab instruments and chemical / explosives detectors are a bigger risk. They corrode shedding particles, and the low energy beta is hard to detect but can cause a lot of biological damage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf