Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14892196 times)

Vince and 133 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70925 on: October 01, 2020, 10:53:49 am »
This is a nice one, too! NAWTS.

Metrix  IX 3131 dual display LCR meter

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/metrix-ix-3131-dual-display-lcr-meter/1482580929-168-8784

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #70926 on: October 01, 2020, 10:59:55 am »

Possible meanings of "LORD"
  • LORD   Legend of the Red Dragon (BBS role playing game)
  • LORD   Loyal Organisation for Rural Development (India)
  • LORD   List Of Required Documents
  • LORD   Late-Onset Retinal Degeneration
  • LORD   Locally-Optimum Rank Detector
  • LORD   Livre des Origines du Rat Domestique
  • LORD   Loyal Order of the Ruptured Duck
  • LORD   Lunar Orbital Radio Detector

Source: The Internet

Maybe I'm late to the party, but surely, if all you're using daily is Chinese script, LORD and LOAD, especially if in some plotter-derived font, are pretty hard to distinguish. Actually, you probably can be a native Latin script reader, as long as you're RF unaware.

/Hits himself, carefully, with Occams razor
Occam's razor?  Then it's obvious...

Autocorrect.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70927 on: October 01, 2020, 11:51:46 am »
Ok Amazon, whats going on here? Amazon website says dashcam arriving tomorrow by 9PM, Alexa states it should be arriving today  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70928 on: October 01, 2020, 12:15:03 pm »
Ok Amazon, whats going on here? Amazon website says dashcam arriving tomorrow by 9PM, Alexa states it should be arriving today  :-//

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventual_consistency

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70929 on: October 01, 2020, 12:16:55 pm »

Alexa is a red head. Can't trust her.  :-DD

Is it coming Amazon direct or RM/UPS/Hermes? If coming via other than Amazon direct plug the tracking number into their site for the truth (maybe).  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70930 on: October 01, 2020, 12:37:54 pm »

Ah yes, modern computer systems design, because getting the answer right the first time is too hard. I love the fact that the associated acronym is BASE and that it isn't an attempt at self mockery - it's like all those people that actually join the Groucho Club.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #70931 on: October 01, 2020, 12:39:38 pm »
oh, you just found an eddie in the space time continuum. Maybe a gravitational shockwave has disturbed the entropy and triggered a subspace quantum singularity.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70932 on: October 01, 2020, 12:42:32 pm »

Alexa is a red head. Can't trust her.  :-DD

Is it coming Amazon direct or RM/UPS/Hermes? If coming via other than Amazon direct plug the tracking number into their site for the truth (maybe).  >:D
My Alexa is a black head  :-DD, are you talking factually or metaphorically?

This is from a seller on Amazon but it is listed as being prime, which is meant to be next day service if in stock, which it was and records show it being picked up yesterday at 3.01pm and I'm only 46 miles FFS  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70933 on: October 01, 2020, 12:55:36 pm »
Update on the replacement wiper blades, all fitted but the instructions supplied are very basic and cryptic, lists and shows 12 different wiper arms, and comes with 1 adaptor already fitted to the blade but does not make this fact very clear, and 4 other adaptors. But after a bit of head scratching I solved the riddle and are fitted now. Good results. As my son works at Home Bargains, I've asked him to get me another set of blades as spares, why not at £3.98 less his staff discount, makes perfect sense to me as I bet next time I need blades they will be much more expensive  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70934 on: October 01, 2020, 01:14:04 pm »

Ah yes, modern computer systems design, because getting the answer right the first time is too hard. I love the fact that the associated acronym is BASE and that it isn't an attempt at self mockery - it's like all those people that actually join the Groucho Club.

There's a lot of idiotic crap in computer "science" these days. Eventual consistency is fair if applied correctly. I've never seen it applied correctly or even applied somewhere it should have been.

A fine example is Hashicorp Consul which is a fully distributed service registry which uses PAXOS type consensus algorithms to determine system state. It regularly becomes possible for the consensus to be disagreed upon and an argument breaks out between the individual compute nodes. Then they have a little election to see who's got the largest dick. This inevitably ends up in a dick slapping competition that lasts a few hundred milliseconds. The winner is awarded the crown of master dick slapper and everyone else has to get in line. This takes another couple of hundred milliseconds, that is unless there is some disagreement over the quorum, or someone didn't get the message of who was now master dick slapper. Occasionally there are two master dick slappers left after this with loser dick slappers subordinate. At some point they become aware that there are two factions, a large war breaks out and results eventually in everyone submitting to the master dick slapper who is recrowned, sometimes after killing both master dick slappers and electing a new one. None of this even approaches the set of problems that occur when the nodes need upgrading and the protocol used is about as frozen as satan's testicles.

During this entire algorithmic dance, no system state requests are served, the real objective of the entire fucking system, resulting in complete outage.

And the stupid thing? This system is 100% consistent stable state during runtime so it doesn't need a service discovery layer. But someone went to a conference, saw something shiny and proceeded to worship it.

Rant of the day over.

Fixed Ubuntu. Turns out applying the updates made it work. I don't like gnome as supplied though so I'm trying Pop_OS! (stupid name but apparently its good).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:17:29 pm by bd139 »

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #70935 on: October 01, 2020, 01:22:03 pm »

There's a lot of idiotic crap in computer "science" these days. Eventual consistency is fair if applied correctly. I've never seen it applied correctly or even applied somewhere it should have been.

A fine example is Hashicorp Consul which is a fully distributed service registry which uses PAXOS type consensus algorithms to determine system state. It regularly becomes possible for the consensus to be disagreed upon and an argument breaks out between the individual compute nodes. Then they have a little election to see who's got the largest dick. This inevitably ends up in a dick slapping competition that lasts a few hundred milliseconds. The winner is awarded the crown of master dick slapper and everyone else has to get in line. This takes another couple of hundred milliseconds, that is unless there is some disagreement over the quorum, or someone didn't get the message of who was now master dick slapper. Occasionally there are two master dick slappers left after this with loser dick slappers subordinate. At some point they become aware that there are two factions, a large war breaks out and results eventually in everyone submitting to the master dick slapper who is recrowned, sometimes after killing both master dick slappers and electing a new one. None of this even approaches the set of problems that occur when the nodes need upgrading and the protocol used is about as frozen as satan's testicles.

During this entire algorithmic dance, no system state requests are served, the real objective of the entire fucking system, resulting in complete outage.

And the stupid thing? This system is 100% consistent stable state during runtime so it doesn't need a service discovery layer. But someone went to a conference, saw something shiny and proceeded to worship it.

Rant of the day over.

Fixed Ubuntu. Turns out applying the updates made it work. I don't like gnome as supplied though so I'm trying Pop_OS! (stupid name but apparently its good).

never have an even number of dickslappers in these elections...
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #70936 on: October 01, 2020, 01:23:32 pm »
Guess have most of it covered..

and yes TNC are also coming ;)   :palm:
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70937 on: October 01, 2020, 01:24:20 pm »

Yes, alas there is an odd number and somehow it managed to fail to get a consensus occasionally  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70938 on: October 01, 2020, 01:33:09 pm »

Until you need two of the same.  :)

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #70939 on: October 01, 2020, 01:37:10 pm »

Until you need two of the same.  :)

small stuff always comes in pairs here  :-DD
it just feels better..

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #70940 on: October 01, 2020, 01:38:45 pm »

Yes, alas there is an odd number and somehow it managed to fail to get a consensus occasionally  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

At work, we've done something similar, and thoroughly; so much that we rent another 2 cabinets at a separate site in addition to main and backup site, so we can have a system that won't be biased in its quorum selection process by proximity. 3 sites that serve one database, and are connected in a triangle. The insane amount of overlay networks the apps people have concocted on top of our overlay nets does complicate the failure modes, though..

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70941 on: October 01, 2020, 01:39:20 pm »

Rant of the day over.

I do despair that, even after years of doing it and failing, the computer 'industry' just can't rid itself of the love of the 'new shiny' and 'flavour of the month' cult following. I've lost count of the number of 'cloud of microservices' things that I've seen designed that could have been done better, faster and more reliably with simple 1970s style architectures. And by gluing together all the 'new shiny'  and 'flavour of the month' people who can't even spell Byzantine Complexity, let alone understand what it is, nevertheless manage to create it. You can re-create this argument for every decade I've worked in the industry starting around 1985 when I first noticed the phenomenon for myself. Actually, scratch decade as the fashion cycle times seem to be getting shorter; pretty soon the fashion will have moved on before you've even had time to build a system, and fail, before the new fashion is de rigueur*.

*One real advance in the modern world, I can now use all those little French phrases that we've adopted into English and not look a twat for getting the accents or the spelling wrong by simple dint of slapping it into a browser search box and hitting return. Not all technological 'advance' is actually regression.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70942 on: October 01, 2020, 01:42:23 pm »

Rant of the day over.

The problem is mostly the P2P approach of the system and not the Eventual Consistency part. P2P structures (in humains and machines) are not super responsive. That's why multiplayer games mostly use a client/server approach since response time is key. And at the same time the distributed simulation (the game) is eventually consistent.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70943 on: October 01, 2020, 02:07:19 pm »

Rant of the day over.

I do despair that, even after years of doing it and failing, the computer 'industry' just can't rid itself of the love of the 'new shiny' and 'flavour of the month' cult following. I've lost count of the number of 'cloud of microservices' things that I've seen designed that could have been done better, faster and more reliably with simple 1970s style architectures. And by gluing together all the 'new shiny'  and 'flavour of the month' people who can't even spell Byzantine Complexity, let alone understand what it is, nevertheless manage to create it. You can re-create this argument for every decade I've worked in the industry starting around 1985 when I first noticed the phenomenon for myself. Actually, scratch decade as the fashion cycle times seem to be getting shorter; pretty soon the fashion will have moved on before you've even had time to build a system, and fail, before the new fashion is de rigueur*.

*One real advance in the modern world, I can now use all those little French phrases that we've adopted into English and not look a twat for getting the accents or the spelling wrong by simple dint of slapping it into a browser search box and hitting return. Not all technological 'advance' is actually regression.

I really don't get the microservices approach. They chop everything up, put the tiniest feature they can find in its own service. Then, end up in a clusterfuck of interdependency. Also, a nightmare to update. Version control is probably not done correctly so they loose track of which version of service A works with that version of service B. To solve that they decided to be backward compatible and completely underestimate the challenge. The whole thing become instable full of bugs and impossible to manage.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70944 on: October 01, 2020, 02:09:00 pm »

Rant of the day over.

I’m currently wiring 20 years of fads into kubernetes at the moment so nailed it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70945 on: October 01, 2020, 02:11:44 pm »
I really don't get the microservices approach. They chop everything up, put the tiniest feature they can find in its own service. Then, end up in a clusterfuck of interdependency. Also, a nightmare to update. Version control is probably not done correctly so they loose track of which version of service A works with that version of service B. To solve that they decided to be backward compatible and completely underestimate the challenge. The whole thing become instable full of bugs and impossible to manage.

I understand the idea. And it’s a bad one. Add containers and it gets worse as we lose any hope of capturing any system state evaporates at the first problem. It creates soft dependencies at runtime instead of compile time, increases latency, makes collaborator tracing difficult, makes debugging difficult, makes versioning and contracts difficult, makes training and operations difficult.

What’s the point? Unless you’re stupid scale it’s a stupid idea. I watched someone build a microservice that was called six times and decommissioned.

A big chunk of my job is letting people know we don’t have google scale problems. If we write out shit properly it’d probably run on a single mid range DL380...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:14:19 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #70946 on: October 01, 2020, 02:14:45 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/Micsig-DP10013-Differential-Attenuation-Tektronix/dp/B074K4XPW3/

Hey guys... just tripped over this while looking for some 10x probes for my 54645A. Seems entirely too good a deal at ~USD$165-168, given the 3.5ns rise time and 1.3KV rating. I have much higher priorities ATM so not really looking at them, but was just curious if these were like known to be crap, or really that good a deal?

mnem
 :-//
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:50:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70947 on: October 01, 2020, 02:15:01 pm »

I understand the idea. And it’s a bad one. Add containers and it gets worse as we lose any hope of capturing any system state evaporates at the first problem. It creates soft dependencies at runtime instead of compile time, increases latency, makes collaborator tracing difficult, makes debugging difficult, makes versioning and contracts difficult, makes training and operations difficult.

What’s the point? Unless you’re stupid scale it’s a stupid idea. I watched someone build a microservice that was called six times and decommissioned

Even if you want to scale. It's crazy how the whole thing become inefficient. But anyway, Amazon, Google and MS are not going to complain. They are renting hardware  ;D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70948 on: October 01, 2020, 02:16:48 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/Micsig-DP10013-Differential-Attenuation-Tektronix/dp/B074K4XPW3/

Hey guys... just tripped over this while looking for some 10x probes for my 54645A. Seems entirely too good a deal at ~USD$165-168, given the 3.5ns rise time and 1.3KV rating. I have much higher priorities ATM so not really looking at them, but was just curious if these were like known to be crap, or really that good a deal?

mnem

No they are supposed to be OK. Micsig in general is good.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #70949 on: October 01, 2020, 02:20:50 pm »

mnem

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001228383330.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf