Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14558581 times)

K0ELB, Vince, Jambalaya, cncjerry and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72900 on: October 22, 2020, 01:30:52 pm »
Well alls well that ends well. Bought a 3478A for a decent price, supposedly working, get it and the 3V/30V DC ranges are not working. Look at schematic, figure its either U102 hybrid input chip or K102 reed relay (hoping not the U102). Set range manually to 30V, shunt K102, bingo getting correct reading. Let seller know its faulty, get US$50 further discount. Found replacement relay and all is good. So good that it doesnt need a cal, still in spec, how good is that!

Still needs a nice cleanup, also diffused some RIFA bombs, now its a great deal...    :D

So what was your net cost...?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72901 on: October 22, 2020, 01:56:55 pm »
   Oh, BTW...  Happy Halloween all you freaks!   

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #72902 on: October 22, 2020, 01:59:40 pm »
I think i sell my 3478A .. if someone in interested... a TEA from europe becouse of the shipping...
i am not using it, now i have the keithley's
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72903 on: October 22, 2020, 02:06:37 pm »
Blasphemer!!!  :-DD

mnem

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72904 on: October 22, 2020, 02:23:00 pm »
Anyway I bought a TI-85

When I see my old horse TI-68, I struggle not to cry:

with that device I was surfing with complex numbers, doing impendence parallel calculation with the "i" notation for the immaginary part. All the other students were mostly one step behind me.
That device server me well and never got a "blue screen". How much stable were those machines compared with today raspdevil?

If only I knew about RPN, it was 1999-2005.

During my time being an EE student I had both calculators, the TI-85 and the HP 48SX (a friend of mine and me upgraded it to 128kByte RAM) but I preferred using the HP 48SX over the TI-85. I'm still having both calculators but the TI is suffering of a dark LCD when switched on. Adjusting the contrast doesn't help.
Dark LCD screens are normally a sign of having been left in full sun which cooks the display, not sure if there is a cure for that other than replacing it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72905 on: October 22, 2020, 02:26:15 pm »
Well alls well that ends well. Bought a 3478A for a decent price, supposedly working, get it and the 3V/30V DC ranges are not working. Look at schematic, figure its either U102 hybrid input chip or K102 reed relay (hoping not the U102). Set range manually to 30V, shunt K102, bingo getting correct reading. Let seller know its faulty, get US$50 further discount. Found replacement relay and all is good. So good that it doesnt need a cal, still in spec, how good is that!

Still needs a nice cleanup, also diffused some RIFA bombs, now its a great deal...    :D

Good result, those are very nice meters if you can live the voltage limitations.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72906 on: October 22, 2020, 02:32:20 pm »

*intensifies search for a 3478 that does not cost twice the price again for shipping*

Interested in some gambling?   ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233672580533
Well the display looks about for that meter with no leads plugged in, due to its very high input impedance. The feet issue can be resolved by the removal of the remaining feet and stick on some rubber ones.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72907 on: October 22, 2020, 02:42:16 pm »

mnem
The advantage of 2nd floor apartment with locked common area: no trick or treaters which means no candy to buy and no temptation to eat it.  :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72908 on: October 22, 2020, 02:52:59 pm »
Where's the fun in that...? No tormenting the little freaks during their  Parade of Greed Day  activities...  >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 02:59:00 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72909 on: October 22, 2020, 02:54:29 pm »
All righty then... Today was a crappy day for the ol' TinkerDwagon; I've murdered my 54645A. Well, my clumsy fat ass did, anyways...  ::)   ...I had pulled out the cart it was sitting on to get a tool that fell off my bench behind it and just backed right into it, knocking it off onto the floor...

mnem

Well isn't that a pain in the scaly dwagon @ss.  When I made my scrap wood scope cart, I had a flexible rubber band with hooks on it similar to a bungee cord.  Had 2 scopes stacked for fun and they wouldn't move for anything.  Glad I found that in the garage whilst prowling for the scrap wood.

Yeah, I have nobody to blame but myself for that one.

If I'd stopped to flip the bail up so it rests on all 4 rubber feet, never woulda happened. Sitting flat the thing is like it's glued to the top of my cart, which is actually a Ikea Alex rolly drawer unit. Yeah, I know... not the BEST choice but in my defense, it works well with my usual workflow as all the leads & accessories are in the drawers right there.

So now, a change in SOP... I leave it lying flat UNLESS I'm using it. When I'm done using it, I lay it flat again, no exceptions. I got used to leaving a probe coiled up in the space under the bail; now I'm paying the price for my laziness.

mnem
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 02:57:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #72910 on: October 22, 2020, 03:13:17 pm »

So what was your net cost...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

US$95 inc postage to Australia

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72911 on: October 22, 2020, 03:17:11 pm »
All righty then... Today was a crappy day for the ol' TinkerDwagon; I've murdered my 54645A. Well, my clumsy fat ass did, anyways...  ::)   ...I had pulled out the cart it was sitting on to get a tool that fell off my bench behind it and just backed right into it, knocking it off onto the floor...

mnem

Well isn't that a pain in the scaly dwagon @ss.  When I made my scrap wood scope cart, I had a flexible rubber band with hooks on it similar to a bungee cord.  Had 2 scopes stacked for fun and they wouldn't move for anything.  Glad I found that in the garage whilst prowling for the scrap wood.

If I'd stopped to flip the bail up so it rests on all 4 rubber feet, never woulda happened. Sitting flat the thing is like it's glued to the top of my cart, which is actually a Ikea Alex rolly drawer unit. Yeah, I know... not the BEST choice but in my defense, it works well with my usual workflow as all the leads & accessories are in the drawers right there.

So now, a change in SOP... I leave it lying flat UNLESS I'm using it. When I'm done using it, I lay it flat again, no exceptions. I got used to leaving a probe coiled up in the space under the bail; now I'm paying the price for my laziness.

mnem

Why not change the SOP a final time and flip the bail/handle up to the next position which is about 60o and leave it there all the time?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72912 on: October 22, 2020, 03:25:39 pm »
From the what the fuck upcycling department. Possibly one of the stupidest tables ever.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72913 on: October 22, 2020, 03:29:58 pm »
From the what the fuck upcycling department. Possibly one of the stupidest tables ever.
I think that has just proved that Apple have totally lost the plot now. :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72914 on: October 22, 2020, 03:58:39 pm »

mnem

I'm trying to work where and when Mnem thinks he's living to have All Hallows Eve 9 days early. It can't anywhere that hasn't adopted the Gregorian calendar because the smallest shift, for the earliest adopters, was 10 days. By the time Saudia Arabia decided to finally move into the 16th Century, in 2016, the shift was 13 days. If we assume that he's on Planet Earth* then, using the Proleptic Gregorian Calendar, he must be in a year \$Y\$ such that \$ Y < 1582 \$ and \$9 = \big \lfloor \frac{Y}{100} \big \rfloor - \big \lfloor {Y\over400} \big \rfloor - 2\$. Solving this is left as an exercise for the student.

So, what planet (and time period) is Mnem on/in? Answers on a Postcard please...

BTW, it's a blue moon on the 31st (October, 2020, Gregorian Calendar),

*Yes, I know this is, from observation, an unwarranted assumption, but so are spherical cows.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, shakalnokturn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72915 on: October 22, 2020, 03:59:36 pm »

mnem

mnem

Why not change the SOP a final time and flip the bail/handle up to the next position which is about 60o and leave it there all the time?

Because it keeps me from stacking shit up right on the knobs and screen and doing ding/nick damage. Same reason I always put my 2465 up on a shelf. Seriously... I'm worse than Jim Williams for piling shit up anywhere there's a square cm of horizontal space... my gear would ALL look like that war-zone shit from Israel on fleaBay.   

mnem
Fuck... I hope that Bondene gets here soon. I'm running out of  :palm: imgs.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:19:36 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72916 on: October 22, 2020, 04:13:42 pm »

mnem

I'm trying to work where and when Mnem thinks he's living to have All Hallows Eve 9 days early. It can't anywhere that hasn't adopted the Gregorian calendar because the smallest shift, for the earliest adopters, was 10 days. By the time Saudia Arabia decided to finally move into the 16th Century, in 2016, the shift was 13 days. If we assume that he's on Planet Earth* then, using the Proleptic Gregorian Calendar, he must be in a year \$Y\$ such that \$ Y < 1582 \$ and \$9 = \big \lfloor \frac{Y}{100} \big \rfloor - \big \lfloor {Y\over400} \big \rfloor - 2\$. Solving this is left as an exercise for the student.

So, what planet (and time period) is Mnem on/in? Answers on a Postcard please...

BTW, it's a blue moon on the 31st (October, 2020, Gregorian Calendar),   *Yes, I know this is, from observation, an unwarranted assumption, but so are spherical cows.

I'm a parent of two Parade of Greed Day  aged children, and I actually go out of the house on occasion. It's all they're talking aboot and in case you didn't notice, Halloween is what all the merchants are flogging right now... even as they're putting out their $$$-Mas decorations the next aisle over.  :o

It doesn't have to be Halloween DAY to wish your friends a Happy Halloween... smeesh.   ::)

Also, that gif still makes me snerk every time I see it. So expect a few more servings before  Halloween Season  is over.  >:D

mnem
*hemorrhaging money right now*
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:18:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72917 on: October 22, 2020, 04:31:14 pm »

I think that has just proved that Apple have totally lost the plot now. :-DD :-DD :-DD

What else is that damned thing good for anymore...?

Also, why is it apple's fault some Etsy fucktard put legs on a 20-year-old Mac and some HRdroid or his BoardMemberdroid brother thought it looked hip and bought it...?

Better that than Edison bulbs hot-snotted onto a AVO.

mnem
 ???

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72918 on: October 22, 2020, 04:32:49 pm »

mnem

mnem

Because it keeps me from stacking shit up right on the knobs and screen and doing ding/nick damage. Same reason I always put my 2465 up on a shelf. Seriously... I'm worse than Jim Williams for piling shit up anywhere there's a square cm of horizontal space... my gear would ALL look like that war-zone shit from Israel on fleaBay.   

mnem

What shit do you stack on top of it when the bail is down to tilt it up? It was because you left it in this position that your bumblebutt managed to knock it off, so what other sit fell off with it then  :-//
If you're in the habit of stacking other stuff on it, in that position, while using it surely that stuff is a precarious position. With the scope flat on its 4 feet, it is more secure and then you can tilt the bail upwards at an angle, still access the scopes controls and if you have to stack other items on top of it, just make sure that they aren't boat anchors and then you have plenty of room without ding/nick damage, even have room for the dragons scaly hands to control the knobs, smeesh  :-DD :-DD

PS I have the bail on my PM3390B in the same 60 degree upward tilt.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:34:51 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72919 on: October 22, 2020, 04:33:18 pm »

mnem

Looking at that photo I can't help think the next things you'll be glueing together will be a Fluke 189 and HP glass thermo-mug.
Luckily the colours are right for the season, with the right solvents and glues you could recycle the remains into glass toothed pumpkin.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72920 on: October 22, 2020, 04:39:00 pm »

What else is that damned thing good for anymore...?

Also, why is it apple's fault some Etsy fucktard put legs on a 20-year-old Mac and some HRdroid or his BoardMemberdroid brother thought it looked hip and bought it...?

Better that than Edison bulbs hot-snotted onto a AVO.

mnem
 ???
Oh I see now what it is, I thought it was Apples latest $$$ machine for Xmas  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72921 on: October 22, 2020, 04:44:13 pm »

...Because it keeps me from stacking shit up right on the knobs and screen and doing ding/nick damage. Same reason I always put my 2465 up on a shelf. Seriously... I'm worse than Jim Williams for piling shit up anywhere there's a square cm of horizontal space... my gear would ALL look like that war-zone shit from Israel on fleaBay.   

mnem

What shit do you stack on top of it when the bail is down to tilt it up? It was because you left it in this position that your bumblebutt managed to knock it off, so what other sit fell off with it then  :-//
If you're in the habit of stacking other stuff on it, in that position, while using it surely that stuff is a precarious position. With the scope flat on its 4 feet, it is more secure and then you can tilt the bail upwards at an angle, still access the scopes controls and if you have to stack other items on top of it, just make sure that they aren't boat anchors and then you have plenty of room without ding/nick damage, even have room for the dragons scaly hands to control the knobs, smeesh  :-DD :-DD

Dude... did you not even read the post you're replying to...? I said I'd put stuff right up against the screen and knobs... IN FRONT of the thing. The rest of this... is what I JUST SAID in my preceding post.

mnem
 :wtf:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72922 on: October 22, 2020, 04:50:56 pm »

...Because it keeps me from stacking shit up right on the knobs and screen and doing ding/nick damage. Same reason I always put my 2465 up on a shelf. Seriously... I'm worse than Jim Williams for piling shit up anywhere there's a square cm of horizontal space... my gear would ALL look like that war-zone shit from Israel on fleaBay.   

mnem

Dude... did you not even read the post you're replying to...? I said I'd put stuff right up against the screen and knobs... IN FRONT of the thing. The rest of this... is what I JUST SAID in my preceding post.

mnem
 :wtf:
Dude to you too, its simples, stack it up on top then and not in front, after all with the thing laying flat, stuff is not likely to slide/roll off is it? ::)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:55:53 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72923 on: October 22, 2020, 04:53:38 pm »
Where's the fun in that...? No tormenting the little freaks during their  Parade of Greed Day  activities...  >:D

mnem

I've made it quite clear numerous times that I hate people. Especially other people's disease ridden rug rats.  >:D ;D 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72924 on: October 22, 2020, 04:55:02 pm »

mnem

Looking at that photo I can't help think the next things you'll be glueing together will be a Fluke 189 and HP glass thermo-mug.
Luckily the colours are right for the season, with the right solvents and glues you could recycle the remains into glass toothed pumpkin.

Sortof... the bail is doing its job right there in that very pic. If it weren't there playing Bouncer I'd already have that meter, that mug, my drill-driver, a pile of assorted capacitors, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, etc... stacked right up against the screen and nekkid chassis of my 54645.

mnem
Know thyself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf