Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14832283 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73025 on: October 23, 2020, 03:59:15 pm »
Looks like a black and white minstrel  :scared:

Just finished putting my daughter’s new PC together. It’s her 17th birthday present. Ryzen 5 3400G/16Gb RAM and MSI B550M board. My that one was a dick. Firstly green garbled junk out due to dodgy HDMI cable. Then wouldn’t detect SSD until I’d done a BIOS update. Then WiFi drop outs until drivers updated. Nice and stable now.  :phew:
Sounds like you just adopted a new child! Tell me a bedtime story, daddy!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73026 on: October 23, 2020, 04:01:16 pm »
Yes, unfortunately Britain's art schools managed to turn out almost a complete two generations of the former as the "YBAs".

Ah yes I got a photo of one of those artists at work at Colchester Zoo about a decade ago:

Ah yes, unless I'm much mistaken that's Mr. Hurst trying to get his head low enough to put his hat on.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #73027 on: October 23, 2020, 04:01:54 pm »
:wtf: there really should be a law against this sort of thing  :o
I'm fairly sure we have crimes against humanity already covered.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #73028 on: October 23, 2020, 04:02:15 pm »
Firstly green garbled junk out due to dodgy HDMI cable.

It's *always* the cable ;-)

Nice bit of kit!

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73029 on: October 23, 2020, 04:10:44 pm »
So, had a return the other day:

1095768-0

I obviously didn't send it like this. The package had some damage but nothing out of the ordinary. The packing could have been better (it can always be better...) but I simply don't see how any of that could lead to this kind of damage. I try to imagine how the box could have dropped and what it would have to hit to end up with damage to the BNC like this and *only* the BNC...

I end up with three options:

- customer had another Racal around that had a bad BNC and he figured that getting a spare one for free for the price of the returns shipping fee wasn't too bad.
- bad luck. actual shipping damage
- minor damage, "enhanced" by the customer to avoid discussions

Anyways, I don't like this day.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #73030 on: October 23, 2020, 04:15:30 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I obviously didn't send it like this. The package had some damage but nothing out of the ordinary. The packing could have been better (it can always be better...) but I simply don't see how any of that could lead to this kind of damage. I try to imagine how the box could have dropped and what it would have to hit to end up with damage to the BNC like this and *only* the BNC...

- customer had another Racal around that had a bad BNC and he figured that getting a spare one for free for the price of the returns shipping fee wasn't too bad.

are you sure the picture is from your device?
it looks dirty... do you sent it like that?   ..could be something..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73031 on: October 23, 2020, 04:18:58 pm »
Yup. Checked. I do a rough cleanup, I don't detail devices.

EDIT: was getting ready to take it apart; but no need for that. It turns out to be some kind of quick-change BNC.

Thickens the plot; eh?  >:(

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:23:08 pm by Ice-Tea »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #73032 on: October 23, 2020, 04:20:59 pm »
It also clearly has marks from unskilled use of pliers/similar to loosen/tighten it.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73033 on: October 23, 2020, 04:21:45 pm »
Here are some photos of the new Avo 8 MK5, still needs more cleaning but it is far better than when I first saw it  :-DD as you see it has suffered some clown doing something inappropriate with it causing flash over burning on one of the switch boards, vaporising that nice fat DC current track and you can see looking at the ends of the track, remnants of the copper track where it meets the solder joints. Good battery compartment, dirt has ingressed into the meter movement so it is sticky at the zero end of the scale. The close of the Cut Out and Rev MC buttons shows the "Boots" that are not really perished but misshapen and rather hard, cutout I think is welded and not sure at this stage about the meter reverse switches condition.

Hopefully if I can get the meter movement cleaned up and resolve the stickiness of the movement, it might well be a candidate for a restoration like the last one I did. I'll find out later as I begin the tear down to the parts level.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:28:11 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73034 on: October 23, 2020, 04:27:07 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Was it returned to you in the same packing as you sent it? If so, did it show any signs of external damage that could have corresponded with the BNC location?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73035 on: October 23, 2020, 04:31:15 pm »
Yup. Checked. I do a rough cleanup, I don't detail devices.

EDIT: was getting ready to take it apart; but no need for that. It turns out to be some kind of quick-change BNC.

Thickens the plot; eh?  >:(

There is your smoking gun for sure, if only you can prove it. Some customers are rogues for sure.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73036 on: October 23, 2020, 04:34:35 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Was it returned to you in the same packing as you sent it? If so, did it show any signs of external damage that could have corresponded with the BNC location?

I asked for pictures of the box:

Again, I suppose I see room for improvement but also again: I don't see how *that* damage could have happened  :o

Then again, I have long learned not to underestimate parcel monkeys.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73037 on: October 23, 2020, 04:38:39 pm »
Do you have pre-shipping photos of the counter? do they show the plier marks on the socket. It does look like a parts swap exercise. Make sure everthing else is working and there.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #73038 on: October 23, 2020, 04:39:35 pm »

Would the ammo and hard hat be of use to you? Yours for "£250.00 From £12 per month for 24 months", apparently.

:palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73039 on: October 23, 2020, 04:42:41 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I asked for pictures of the box:

Again, I suppose I see room for improvement but also again: I don't see how *that* damage could have happened  :o

Then again, I have long learned not to underestimate parcel monkeys.
It looks to be a little light on bubble wrap TBH, there is too much movement in the box for my liking. I always pack anything like with about 50mm or more thickness of protection all round, especially where there are controls or sockets.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73040 on: October 23, 2020, 04:47:21 pm »
Do you have pre-shipping photos of the counter? do they show the plier marks on the socket. It does look like a parts swap exercise. Make sure everthing else is working and there.

Yeah; not of the side where the marks are unfortunately. Not that it matters, I refunded him already, couldn't weasel out of it anyways.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73041 on: October 23, 2020, 04:52:19 pm »
It looks to be a little light on bubble wrap TBH, there is too much movement in the box for my liking. I always pack anything like with about 50mm or more thickness of protection all round, especially where there are controls or sockets.

Some of the bubble wrap was already taken out but in general I agree. Always a bit of a tradeof between a well fitting box and a large box where you loose tons of padding material and you still risk the device shifting around in the box. That said, not my best work so I could see how you can get some damage, just not that damage...

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #73042 on: October 23, 2020, 05:08:35 pm »
Yes, unfortunately Britain's art schools managed to turn out almost a complete two generations of the former as the "YBAs".

Ah yes I got a photo of one of those artists at work at Colchester Zoo about a decade ago:

I admire the YBAs' ability to separate money from fools.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73043 on: October 23, 2020, 05:11:46 pm »
Since I'm spamming up the place anyways..

Whay would you guys consider a fair price for one of these? And I mean *fair*; not the price one of you cheapskates would give for it...

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73044 on: October 23, 2020, 05:33:41 pm »

That’s why I got into software.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73045 on: October 23, 2020, 05:41:54 pm »

Some of the bubble wrap was already taken out but in general I agree. Always a bit of a tradeof between a well fitting box and a large box where you loose tons of padding material and you still risk the device shifting around in the box. That said, not my best work so I could see how you can get some damage, just not that damage...

I wouldn’t rely on bubble wrap for that sort of thing. Needs some polystyrene with cut outs for sticky outy bits then bubble wrap around that. Need to support the main mass of the unit and make sure that any impacts are absorbed by that rather than smaller parts.

230 items sent here. Zero broken.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #73046 on: October 23, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »
Working on a TDS784D. Decently bright display (sucks by modern day standards but for the series and the age not terrible...). All channels work. Off course, SPC doesn't. Not the first time I tangoed with these so I proceed with all haste to excavate the hybrids. Which are, I'm sure, marvels of black magic RF engineering but they also suck donkey balls to work on. Sure enough, one cracks while getting it out. Measuring relays yields at least one dud (4 ohm resistance) and a few doubtfulls.

Now the fun really starts. I have attempted to repair these in the past, with limited success. Long story short: some of the pins are not accesible by soldering iron. Using the hot air gun has, thus far, always resulted in the relay and its neighbours melting before I could make it "stick". The plan was to make an attempt with a hotplate and/or chipquick low temp solder. As I don't have a hotplate (yet): chipquick + hot air it is.

Removing the relay is not the issue (cut the legs). Cleaned the pads of old solder after that. Applied some of the special flux to the pads; applied the solder. Observation: it doens't flow nearly as nice as normal paste. Has a tendency to "tear". Wetted the relay as well for good measure, more flux applied.

First attempt: as the solder offers less visual clues versus normal, I pick up the board and the relay slides off the board. Not yet cured.

Second attempt: better. But the least accesible leg is up in the air.

Pressing the relay down a bit while applying hot air seems to have done the trick:

Pretty it ain't but it'll do...

I once replaced all the relays on these hybrids. Used a homemade hotplate, just a large resistor (similar to this poor one: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3278930/#msg3278930).
Desoldering worked just fine, once the ceramic is hot enough, lift them off. Soldering the new ones was somewhat more problematic, in the end it worked.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73047 on: October 23, 2020, 06:01:40 pm »
Mafiamarket just suckered me out of some hard earned mooolah ...
could not resist a Nintendo Switch, a PF Ummagumma CD, a straycats CD, an SSD and a Canon EF 1.4 Mk 3 Extender.

There goes my lunch money for November ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #73048 on: October 23, 2020, 06:08:47 pm »

My aim was to separate intelligent people from their money, which is probably more difficult and definitely more satisfying.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73049 on: October 23, 2020, 06:13:07 pm »

My aim was to separate intelligent people from their money, which is probably more difficult and definitely more satisfying.

Smaller market though :-DD

Got to be honest here but the intelligent folk I know don’t have a lot of money to spare. They either gave it away, couldn’t be coerced into producing much of it by the usual cogs or are trying to hold onto it so field an upcoming shit storm.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:15:10 pm by bd139 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf