Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555491 times)

djadeski, Vince, duckduck and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73075 on: October 24, 2020, 05:02:57 am »
An Australian truck encounter
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #73076 on: October 24, 2020, 05:39:29 am »
Just for shits & giggles...  >:D

mnem
*snerK*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73077 on: October 24, 2020, 08:02:18 am »
BravoV.......the package from me to you is FINALLY out for delivery.  :-+

Don't know if I'll be on Discord today. The lady is here and not sure what she has planned. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73078 on: October 24, 2020, 09:03:32 am »
RIP  :-DD

I’m fixing a stupid mistake I made today. When I set up the 6205b to be unswitched because of that duff switch I removed the current meter switch from circuit when I should have shorted it. Thus it doesn’t actually measure current on the left channel. Going to fix it today.

I am considering stealing the switch out of the 6206b to fix the 6205b because the latter is more flexible. But at the same time I’ve got 7 independent outputs on 5 power supplies now so do I need to futz with anything  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73079 on: October 24, 2020, 09:52:05 am »
Well shit today is sucking. Found a couple of 27c16 EPROMs in a box and dug my willem programmer out and realised it’s the parallel port variety. I don’t actually have any parallel ports these days  :palm:

Arduino hack job coming up. All I need to do is fill one eprom up with a test program.

Going to use my PCB UV box to erase the things  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #73080 on: October 24, 2020, 09:55:37 am »

Don't know if I'll be on Discord today. The lady is here and not sure what she has planned.

Its here, screws and knobs from far-far away land. Thank you med !!!  :clap: :-+
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:57:51 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73081 on: October 24, 2020, 10:06:27 am »
Well shit today is sucking. Found a couple of 27c16 EPROMs in a box and dug my willem programmer out and realised it’s the parallel port variety. I don’t actually have any parallel ports these days  :palm:

Arduino hack job coming up. All I need to do is fill one eprom up with a test program.

Which reminds me that I've got a Eprom UV eraser but have never had a programmer  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73082 on: October 24, 2020, 10:08:35 am »
Well it turns out the tube is gone in my UV box as well so I'm screwed on both fronts.

I'm just going to order some AT28C16 EEPROMs instead. Much easier!  :-DD

Edit: well apparently you can only get 8k minimum size now with AT28C64 from RS. That and a couple of decent ZIF sockets is less than a new tube and a new EPROM programmer and les hassle.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 10:19:19 am by bd139 »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73083 on: October 24, 2020, 10:41:40 am »

You don't have at least a old laptop with real serial and parallel ports, USB and a floppy running XP and bootable to DOS? That's pretty much essential for a lot of 90's TE.  I keep a couple and a SFF desktop with, IDE, SATA and Floppy interfaces. That was essential for setting up a new HDD (actually a SSD in my case) for my R& S CRTU-RU / CMU200. The software install only works if the drive boots from  DOS 6.22. The auto partitioning won't work with freeDos, XP etc, it looks for 6.22.
Interesting work issue where IT say "must use supported OS fully patched and up to date" when to update firmware on in use hardware you need a XP machine with real hardware UART RS232 port (not USB). Have to keep a couple of 20 year old Sony VAIOs out of IT's clutches  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73084 on: October 24, 2020, 10:50:44 am »
With all the retro computing stuff going on lately, it got me thinking about my old Psion PDA's, Revo Plus brought new many years ago and 2nd hand 5MX. Managed to find the Revo but the 5M so far anyway. The Revo has built-in rechargeable batteries that were as you would expect dead as nails after these years have gone by. At first glance there is no way to gain access to the insides of this thing to get at the batteries and I suddenly realised that they had us over a bloody barrel back then because the only way to replace the AAA batteries was to return the things to Psion and get ripped off.

I say ripped off because I decided to check online to see if they are still repairable and it seems you can still buy these dammed things online, slightly reworked to allow FB, Twitter etc to work on them, starting from £125 and going upto about £500 depending on the number services you wish to use on them  :wtf: The repair charge / replace batteries charge is £75 plus carriage :wtf:  They fuck off at that, so I looked around for ideas and discovered a site which describes the process to replace them yourself for a fraction of the price, but man are they fecking fiddly and with a high risk of breaking them completely  :palm: Anyway I decided I was going in regardless and succeeded in extracting the batteries OK, but now I'm wondering if I can rebuild it again once new batteries arrive.

https://www.r3uk.com/index.php/tech-tips/34-disassembly-guides/3-psion-revodiamond-mako-disassembly-and-battery-replacement
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73085 on: October 24, 2020, 10:53:51 am »

You don't have at least a old laptop with real serial and parallel ports, USB and a floppy running XP and bootable to DOS? That's pretty much essential for a lot of 90's TE.  I keep a couple and a SFF desktop with, IDE, SATA and Floppy interfaces. That was essential for setting up a new HDD (actually a SSD in my case) for my R& S CRTU-RU / CMU200. The software install only works if the drive boots from  DOS 6.22. The auto partitioning won't work with freeDos, XP etc, it looks for 6.22.
Interesting work issue where IT say "must use supported OS fully patched and up to date" when to update firmware on in use hardware you need a XP machine with real hardware UART RS232 port (not USB). Have to keep a couple of 20 year old Sony VAIOs out of IT's clutches  >:D

Nope nothing. Oldest machine I've got is a Lenovo T440.

I'm working around the issue. I'm going to use AT28C64's in this as they are trivially adaptable to the circuit on these z80 boards with some hackery and I can program them with 5V levels only. That means I can use an arduino and some 74hc595's to drive the thing, both of which i have on hand. Writing the code now. Already written most of the C program to convert z80asm binary output to commands for the arduino end to handle...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73086 on: October 24, 2020, 10:55:27 am »
With all the retro computing stuff going on lately, it got me thinking about my old Psion PDA's, Revo Plus brought new many years ago and 2nd hand 5MX. Managed to find the Revo but the 5M so far anyway. The Revo has built-in rechargeable batteries that were as you would expect dead as nails after these years have gone by. At first glance there is no way to gain access to the insides of this thing to get at the batteries and I suddenly realised that they had us over a bloody barrel back then because the only way to replace the AAA batteries was to return the things to Psion and get ripped off.

I say ripped off because I decided to check online to see if they are still repairable and it seems you can still buy these dammed things online, slightly reworked to allow FB, Twitter etc to work on them, starting from £125 and going upto about £500 depending on the number services you wish to use on them  :wtf: The repair charge / replace batteries charge is £75 plus carriage :wtf:  They fuck off at that, so I looked around for ideas and discovered a site which describes the process to replace them yourself for a fraction of the price, but man are they fecking fiddly and with a high risk of breaking them completely  :palm: Anyway I decided I was going in regardless and succeeded in extracting the batteries OK, but now I'm wondering if I can rebuild it again once new batteries arrive.

https://www.r3uk.com/index.php/tech-tips/34-disassembly-guides/3-psion-revodiamond-mako-disassembly-and-battery-replacement

That's a bugger. Let us know how it goes  :-+

I actually used an Acorn branded Psion 3 for a number of years: http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org.uk/Computers/PocketBook.html

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73087 on: October 24, 2020, 11:06:29 am »

I keep one of these on hand for old hardware. It will work with most devices: https://www.ebay.de/itm/USB-to-DB-25-Pin-DB25-Female-Parallel-Port-Cable-Adapter-D-Sub-for-Printer-Black/224041554545

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73088 on: October 24, 2020, 11:26:14 am »

That's a bugger. Let us know how it goes  :-+

I actually used an Acorn branded Psion 3 for a number of years: http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org.uk/Computers/PocketBook.html
There were a few other that also rebranded various Psion products I seem to remember.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-NK188-U-1x-Panasonic-Eneloop-AAA-R3-battery-with-tags-1-Piece-U-Soldering/283448227288
What kind of stupid postal charges is this? Well they are not going to be getting an order from me, they can fuck off now  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73089 on: October 24, 2020, 12:04:54 pm »
Why are you trying to buy tagged cells from Holland?
As you the silly postage, it's Fedaxe, what do you expect a reasonable price? They are always three times to cost of others, hence why I never receive anything sent by them.
Edit: listing also has economy post at around $6.

David
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:07:00 pm by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73090 on: October 24, 2020, 12:31:06 pm »
As you the silly postage, it's Fedaxe, what do you expect a reasonable price? They are always three times to cost of others, hence why I never receive anything sent by them.

David
The economy rate takes over 2 weeks to arrive, and also, I was looking to order from Holland because these are only batteries that have the configuration of having long tags on the same side that seem to be available on eBay. Yes I'm aware that Fedex do know how to charge, but then Mouser also use Fedex for their deliveries and I recently had a lot of capacitors and other parts arrive from the USA, in under 48 hours via Fedex for just £12.

I think that makes the £21.85 for a single AAA battery seem like a rip off personally, even for a quick delivery.
Who let Murphy in?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73091 on: October 24, 2020, 12:34:04 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-NK188-U-1x-Panasonic-Eneloop-AAA-R3-battery-with-tags-1-Piece-U-Soldering/283448227288
What kind of stupid postal charges is this? Well they are not going to be getting an order from me, they can fuck off now  :scared:

Doesn't post to Netherlands
Item location:
Eindhoven, Netherlands

:o
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73092 on: October 24, 2020, 01:06:22 pm »

David
The economy rate takes over 2 weeks to arrive, and also, I was looking to order from Holland because these are only batteries that have the configuration of having long tags on the same side that seem to be available on eBay. Yes I'm aware that Fedex do know how to charge, but then Mouser also use Fedex for their deliveries and I recently had a lot of capacitors and other parts arrive from the USA, in under 48 hours via Fedex for just £12.

I think that makes the £21.85 for a single AAA battery seem like a rip off personally, even for a quick delivery.

That is the exception, big business like Mouser will get bulk discounts from Fedaxe, stuff sent internationally on ebay from small sellers won't.
Last time I bought rechargeable batteries on ePay I got fakes, never again.
Can you not buy ordinary tagged cells from a proper supplier & fold the tags the other way if needed?

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73093 on: October 24, 2020, 01:30:15 pm »

David

That is the exception, big business like Mouser will get bulk discounts from Fedaxe, stuff sent internationally on ebay from small sellers won't.
Last time I bought rechargeable batteries on ePay I got fakes, never again.
Can you not buy ordinary tagged cells from a proper supplier & fold the tags the other way if needed?

David
Not easily, space in the Revo is extremely tight and everything needs to be just right for a satisfactory outcome otherwise I can see the Revo being destroyed in the effort.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73094 on: October 24, 2020, 01:58:19 pm »

Its here, screws and knobs from far-far away land. Thank you med !!!  :clap: :-+

Good deal! You're welcome.  :-+

It took almost a month. I sent it on October 2nd. (But it did spend quite of bit of time at JFK customs)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73095 on: October 24, 2020, 02:06:27 pm »

Item location:
Eindhoven, Netherlands

Looks like the seller messed up on the exclusions:

" Item location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Postage to: Worldwide
Excludes: Alaska/Hawaii, US Protectorates, APO/FPO, Middle East, South East Asia, South America, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Turkey, Yemen, Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Republic of the, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mayotte, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe"

McBryce.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73096 on: October 24, 2020, 02:19:55 pm »
Well, I decided to do like everybody and bought a NanoVNA  ;D

(SNIP)   

Conclusion, it's working relatively well on the nF range. And it's really interesting to see the capacitance changing over frequency. When you reach 1uF the frequency is too high and the result are not super accurate. I also tried in the pF range but I think my calibration setup is failing me and it was not super conclusive.

Looks exactly like the kit I ordered from Bang-em-good. Even down to the crooked N-connectors...  :o

I went with bg because they offered a fair price, and I had some affiliate points to burn; brought total cost of that and the Tiny SA down to (goes and looks) US$128. Oh yay! They're showing shipped!  :-+ I might actually see them by Christmas!  :-DD

Hope mine resolves as nicely as yours! 

mnem
:clap:

It's a really nice piece of kit for the price. Also, if you want improved accuracy, someone actually measured the SAA-2N calibration standards and he is providing the settings for NanoVNA-Saver and the files for Vna-QT (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/4-inch-display-saa-2n-nanovna-v2-3ghz-with-n-type/msg3284146/#msg3284146).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, URI

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73097 on: October 24, 2020, 02:40:20 pm »

Item location:
Eindhoven, Netherlands

Looks like the seller messed up on the exclusions:

" Item location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Postage to: Worldwide
Excludes: Alaska/Hawaii, US Protectorates, APO/FPO, Middle East, South East Asia, South America, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Turkey, Yemen, Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Republic of the, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mayotte, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe"

McBryce.

Hey Canada is not in the exclusion, I can order one  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73098 on: October 24, 2020, 02:41:49 pm »
That must be where the three sold items went to! :D

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73099 on: October 24, 2020, 04:01:26 pm »

That's really a pity. In the last sessions on discord (audio) there were "only" the usual suspects, ch_scr, Saskia, Specmaster, AVGresponding, Neomys Sapiens and me, interrupted only by a few show-ups of some others. Where are you guys? Do you really want the Germans to take over?  ;-)   ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:03:27 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf