Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563936 times)

Pilatus and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73100 on: October 24, 2020, 04:06:43 pm »
Veee arrr innvadink zehr spaiss !

Victory is life !

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #73101 on: October 24, 2020, 04:10:23 pm »
Well, I decided to do like everybody and bought a NanoVNA  ;D

(SNIP)   

Conclusion, it's working relatively well on the nF range. And it's really interesting to see the capacitance changing over frequency. When you reach 1uF the frequency is too high and the result are not super accurate. I also tried in the pF range but I think my calibration setup is failing me and it was not super conclusive.

Looks exactly like the kit I ordered from Bang-em-good. Even down to the crooked N-connectors...  :o

I went with bg because they offered a fair price, and I had some affiliate points to burn; brought total cost of that and the Tiny SA down to (goes and looks) US$128. Oh yay! They're showing shipped!  :-+ I might actually see them by Christmas!  :-DD

Hope mine resolves as nicely as yours! 

mnem
:clap:

It's a really nice piece of kit for the price. Also, if you want improved accuracy, someone actually measured the SAA-2N calibration standards and he is providing the settings for NanoVNA-Saver and the files for Vna-QT (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/4-inch-display-saa-2n-nanovna-v2-3ghz-with-n-type/msg3284146/#msg3284146).

It seems to me that this won't really help. You need your cal kit characterized, not someone else's. They are unlikely to be exactly the same.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73102 on: October 24, 2020, 04:11:27 pm »
Defence folks are smart, but lack ethics on a level unapproachable by even fintech I found.

I did BBC for a bit (Naturewatch) and angered Bill Oddie once. That was my only claim to fame I think  :-DD

Another fine image from my daughter's school; Umbrella Corporation's evangelical division:

Now Umbrella Corporation were honest employers. No lies about what they were all about. Straight up honest bastards.
We are lacking WHAT? Did not see anything between Ethereum and Ethine. Maybe you made that up?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #73103 on: October 24, 2020, 04:11:50 pm »
Bought a Thandar portable scope... can't claim this one as accidental, as I was in a back-and-forth offers exchange with the seller.

I couldn't resist posting this; it's a picture of...

A 508 BUs!    ;)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73104 on: October 24, 2020, 04:12:09 pm »
puuh. Mafia Market dood it again and separated me from a third of my monthly salary. They offered me a Canon RF 15-35 2.8L with an 800 Pesos discount. I could not resist.

My replacement drive for the dead Toshiba 8 TB NAS drive arrived yesterday. No answer from WD regarding the WD Red Plus, however yesterday it failed self test, so I RMA'd it. It will be the hot spare in my NAS.

Will start building my Raaco Carousel later on, tomorrow will be clean up day.

Did a short let's see if the extender works session today and got some nice sharp fotos at 560mm f/8 of a Jet Skier at full cruising speed.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73105 on: October 24, 2020, 04:15:21 pm »
We are lacking WHAT? Did not see anything between Ethereum and Ethine. Maybe you made that up?

Not at all. I quit the industry just after 9/11 when people were literally celebrating the potential upcoming opportunities to find new ways to kill each other. The amount of people with delusional justifications of what they were producing to write it off in their minds were mind boggling.

Bought a Thandar portable scope... can't claim this one as accidental, as I was in a back-and-forth offers exchange with the seller.

Nice. I had one for a bit. They are great fun  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73106 on: October 24, 2020, 04:17:39 pm »
Yup. Checked. I do a rough cleanup, I don't detail devices.

EDIT: was getting ready to take it apart; but no need for that. It turns out to be some kind of quick-change BNC.

Thickens the plot; eh?  >:(
It is also a fuseholder. The green thing is the fuse.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73107 on: October 24, 2020, 04:20:56 pm »

Not at all. I quit the industry just after 9/11 when people were literally celebrating the potential upcoming opportunities to find new ways to kill each other. The amount of people with delusional justifications of what they were producing to write it off in their minds were mind boggling.

Oh, you are referring to the 'Great Testing Times'. Yes, we did.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73108 on: October 24, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »
BravoV.......the package from me to you is FINALLY out for delivery.  :-+

Don't know if I'll be on Discord today. The lady is here and not sure what she has planned.

That's really a pity. In the last sessions on discord (audio) there were "only" the usual suspects, ch_scr, Saskia, Specmaster, AVGresponding, Neomys Sapiens and me, interrupted only by a few show-ups of some others. Where are you guys? Do you really want the Germans to take over?  ;-)   ;D

Tries to think of a joke about "Germans taking over" that wouldn't be too tasteless, too open to misinterpretation or likely start a fight. Fails. I've already pissed off a Finn today by trying to be helpful by trying to think from his perspective so, na, not going to go there.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #73109 on: October 24, 2020, 04:36:25 pm »
Defence folks are smart, but lack ethics on a level unapproachable by even fintech I found.

I did BBC for a bit (Naturewatch) and angered Bill Oddie once. That was my only claim to fame I think  :-DD

Another fine image from my daughter's school; Umbrella Corporation's evangelical division:

Now Umbrella Corporation were honest employers. No lies about what they were all about. Straight up honest bastards.

I thought that was supposed to be Blackadder...?  :-DD

mnem
Made sense from this side of the pond... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73110 on: October 24, 2020, 04:39:41 pm »

(SNIP)   

Conclusion, it's working relatively well on the nF range. And it's really interesting to see the capacitance changing over frequency. When you reach 1uF the frequency is too high and the result are not super accurate. I also tried in the pF range but I think my calibration setup is failing me and it was not super conclusive.

Looks exactly like the kit I ordered from Bang-em-good. Even down to the crooked N-connectors...  :o

I went with bg because they offered a fair price, and I had some affiliate points to burn; brought total cost of that and the Tiny SA down to (goes and looks) US$128. Oh yay! They're showing shipped!  :-+ I might actually see them by Christmas!  :-DD

mnem

It's a really nice piece of kit for the price. Also, if you want improved accuracy, someone actually measured the SAA-2N calibration standards and he is providing the settings for NanoVNA-Saver and the files for Vna-QT (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/4-inch-display-saa-2n-nanovna-v2-3ghz-with-n-type/msg3284146/#msg3284146).

It seems to me that this won't really help. You need your cal kit characterized, not someone else's. They are unlikely to be exactly the same.

Well, what would be nice is if we could have a statistically significant sample size... to know if the included kit is worth the powder to blow it to hell, and at least enough datapoints to generate a bell curve...  :o

mnem
*punt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73111 on: October 24, 2020, 04:42:58 pm »

Don't know if I'll be on Discord today. The lady is here and not sure what she has planned.

That's really a pity. In the last sessions on discord (audio) there were "only" the usual suspects, ch_scr, Saskia, Specmaster, AVGresponding, Neomys Sapiens and me, interrupted only by a few show-ups of some others. Where are you guys? Do you really want the Germans to take over?  ;-)   ;D

Yes, very much. >:D

mnem
At least the trains will run on time... ;)

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73112 on: October 24, 2020, 04:46:04 pm »

A 508 BUs!    ;)

MOMMMMIIIIEEEE!!!!

mnem
 :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73113 on: October 24, 2020, 04:46:55 pm »

mnem

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Der war gut!

German DB is really far away from being good to be "on-time"    :palm:   :rant:  >:(
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73114 on: October 24, 2020, 04:48:01 pm »

A 508 BUs!    ;)

I like it!   :-DD  :-DD  :-DD
Where can I get one?   :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73115 on: October 24, 2020, 04:50:06 pm »

MOMMMMIIIIEEEE!!!!

mnem

RAV4? Blue? Loves Texas?

Med, is that you?   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73116 on: October 24, 2020, 05:02:43 pm »
German DB is really far away from being good to be "on-time"    :palm:   :rant:  >:(

You haven't "enjoyed" British Rail. German public transport, from the perspective of someone used to British public transport, is very, very good. I've used buses, trams, trains and the U bahn in Frankfurt and Dußeldorf (without a native to hold my hand and guide me though it) and found it a much nicer experience than trying to get around London by public transport (where I'm a native).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73117 on: October 24, 2020, 05:11:44 pm »
London is ok if you know it well. I managed to get from Farringdon to Leyton in 19 minutes every day for a year. That was three separate train journeys (LU to Liverpool Street. Sprint across station. National rail to Stratford. Leg it over platform or under tunnel to central line to Leyton).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:13:26 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73118 on: October 24, 2020, 05:11:55 pm »

(SNIP)   

mnem

Reference plane is more or less the same on all those calibration standards. Better than using the default value that has nothing to do with the cal standards. In the end, it's a VNA at 80$, it will never be really accurate  :)

I'll try to do a comparison.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:32:10 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73119 on: October 24, 2020, 05:14:03 pm »
A heads up for anyone thinking of joining the Metcal Owner's Club: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264909923861?ul_noapp=true.  SP200 supply, handle, no tip, starting price £29.70 in Basingstoke, UK.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73120 on: October 24, 2020, 06:18:30 pm »

mnem
Nope, the Japanese are renowned for their railways running to the second even.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73121 on: October 24, 2020, 06:22:30 pm »

MOMMMMIIIIEEEE!!!!

mnem

RAV4? Blue? Loves Texas?

Med, is that you?   :-DD
I thought med had a Honda CR-V?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73122 on: October 24, 2020, 06:24:46 pm »

You haven't "enjoyed" British Rail. German public transport, from the perspective of someone used to British public transport, is very, very good. I've used buses, trams, trains and the U bahn in Frankfurt and Dußeldorf (without a native to hold my hand and guide me though it) and found it a much nicer experience than trying to get around London by public transport (where I'm a native).
I think it is more of City and East End problem then London as a whole.

EDIT.
Although, the South East could do with better public transport.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:29:12 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73123 on: October 24, 2020, 06:50:15 pm »
German trains and public transport ? Umm, no thanks, the train stations have turned into a no go area starting 2015.
Way too much risk to:
- get stabbed
- get tossed in front of an incoming train
- become a victim of a jihad bombing
- get stranded because the train breaks down
- get stranded because someone commits suicide or is murdered in front of the train
- get stranded because due to the long delay the train will not go to its destination but stop somewhere halfway.
- get stranded because some activist terrorist has sabotaged the tracks

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73124 on: October 24, 2020, 07:03:59 pm »
Thats it, paint a really nice picture of the state of Germany, must give you the job of enticing more tourism I think  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf