Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14931141 times)

lowimpedance and 221 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73325 on: October 27, 2020, 02:47:34 pm »
@tggzzz That is a thing of beauty, nice one.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #73326 on: October 27, 2020, 02:48:12 pm »
And now for something completely different:

More SMT desolder practicing. I want to scavenge the DDR chips from that module to upgrade some of these poor TL-WR841 to 64MB (16 MB Flash and OpenWrt already installed).

This this, it's rather been a walk in the park, it's working and the resistor didn't let the smoke out. It's a high overload type used for electrical braking in servo drives.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73327 on: October 27, 2020, 02:59:48 pm »
This this, it's rather been a walk in the park, it's working and the resistor didn't let the smoke out. It's a high overload type used for electrical braking in servo drives.

I do see an error however.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73328 on: October 27, 2020, 03:07:20 pm »

I do see an error however.

That's okay, this is the normal state of a TI calculator.     ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73329 on: October 27, 2020, 03:14:55 pm »
So my Delta Elecronics 300V PSU arrived today. Very well made custom packing all recycled materials cut to size.
It attracted my attention bcaus the styling is very similar to a small LM317 based 15W supply I made about 30 years ago, even down to the Sifam meter.
However something "felt" loose, so I took the cover off and sure enough the transformer screws are loose. But  :wtf: ther are burn marks, lifted componets and looks like missing components! (see photos) This was listed as teste  :bullshit:
But I'm a nice person so rather than going  in :box: and  :rant: I sent a nice message (not  "not as described" because this autometically opens a case with ebay). I got a nice reply saying they did test it (the seller looks like a house clearance / pawn shop type) " to my best ability, using Ac/Dc mechanical or digital meters ." yeh, right. He did offer a refund though. Anyway got the manual from the maker https://www.delta-elektronika.nl/en/support/discontinued-products.html
I'd buy their kit again, just because they suppport it, had a recent case on he day job were a maker still has a bit of kit on their website, but not even a spec sheet for it never mind a manual, no kit in stock either.

So this little PSU has an SCR pre-regulator and the blown / missing components seem to be releted to that. So What the hell, I plugged it in and it works  :wtf: :wtf: :-//  Outpu there, varies with control andd matches a DMM on the output. 
OK thinking about it the SCR left in circuit is probably shorted so no pre-regulation but the linr regulator is working. Obviously pas transistor will get very hot if unit is loaded at low voltage.
Looks like the seller did do basic checks. I've asked for a £20 partial refund and will be placing an order on Farnell. The SCRs are HS64s, long unobtanium but should be easy to subsitute, sensitive gate 600V 4A.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73330 on: October 27, 2020, 03:19:48 pm »

Yeah I've got the high voltage generation sorted. That's not an issue. I'm using a flyback converter for that with a voltage comparator to set the max voltage. The problem I have is sweeping the voltage up and down at around 50Hz across the full compliance range. I think I have a solution. The phase shift is coming from the excessive miller capacitance of the pass transistor.

Anyway today's task is writing a Gopher client in Go. Why? Why the fuck not. Mostly working already!

I was thinking more of using the royer as a controlled voltage source rather than as a supply for a regulator. 

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #73331 on: October 27, 2020, 03:24:02 pm »
Nice tidy example tggzzz !  :-+

Brings a tear to the eye of a previous D83 owner.

I've added another couple of goodies: manuals (now scanned and uploaded to ko4bb) and extender card

I've got a DM63 as well, in the storage cupboard. It certainly is heavy. Last time I turned it on, it worked in variable persistence mode OK but true storage was long gone. I wonder if it still works?

I doubt that fault is in the tube, but would suspect the surrounding components. I've uploaded the manual to ko4bb, so it may well be possible to resurrect it

Mine works in both modes. It retains the trace across powerdown, abeit with some "beam scribble" when the PSU collapses.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73332 on: October 27, 2020, 03:31:03 pm »
since Christmas is approaching, here's something to get you into the mood.

https://youtu.be/dIeuBPDUzB0

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73333 on: October 27, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »
So I was going to pull out the Type 310A and work it some more but decided instead to tear down bench 1 and finish the painting. Here it is with the upper shelving pulled down. Took me all morning to complete it. I still have to pull out the bench itself so I can clean behind it, put up the edging tape, and then the actual painting. That will be tomorrow. Stay tuned.

The curtains are BROWN.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73334 on: October 27, 2020, 03:56:27 pm »

Then hang the new brown curtains and get rid of the pink ones in the picture! :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73335 on: October 27, 2020, 04:08:35 pm »

May I suggest something? Pickup a "Pappendeckel" (cardboard lid) and write on it (probably in Tek-blue or so):

"BROWN curtains
 ------------------>"

and place it next to them.
I'm sure, this will convince everybody here.   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73336 on: October 27, 2020, 04:17:10 pm »
Should I send you a box of dye ? Otoh Dupont is not too far from you, it should be no problem to obtain the roper chemical for morphing your curtains ...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73337 on: October 27, 2020, 05:06:40 pm »
Or in quaint British.......a trolley.  :P :-DD

A trolley carries Tea, or cakes, or similar comestibles. A cart has a horse in front of it. A barrow is the human powered equivalent of a cart, so I think that's a barrow; which would make you a Barrow boy.

"Luverly scopes, get yours 'ere!"
" 'Ere missus, wouldn't yer old man love to sit down to a nice dual channel plug in tonight? Cheap at 'alf the price! All guaranteed nicely matured! Not a duff cap amongst them! "
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73338 on: October 27, 2020, 05:21:36 pm »
So I was going to pull out the Type 310A and work it some more but decided instead to tear down bench 1 and finish the painting. Here it is with the upper shelving pulled down. Took me all morning to complete it. I still have to pull out the bench itself so I can clean behind it, put up the edging tape, and then the actual painting. That will be tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73339 on: October 27, 2020, 05:32:12 pm »
A trolley carries Tea, or cakes, or similar comestibles. A cart has a horse in front of it. A barrow is the human powered equivalent of a cart, so I think that's a barrow; which would make you a Barrow boy.

So what does that make this?

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73340 on: October 27, 2020, 05:36:28 pm »
Should I send you a box of dye ? Otoh Dupont is not too far from you, it should be no problem to obtain the roper chemical for morphing your curtains ...

Send him some 18% white.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73341 on: October 27, 2020, 05:48:00 pm »

" 'Ere missus, wouldn't yer old man love to sit down to a nice dual channel plug in tonight? Cheap at 'alf the price! All guaranteed nicely matured! Not a duff cap amongst them! "

Au contraire. I've heard many of your fellow countryman refer to a scope cart as a "trolley". You also call grocery shopping carts a "trolley".

"Scope barrow" just doesn't work.  :-DD 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73342 on: October 27, 2020, 05:52:48 pm »

Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out.  :P :P ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73343 on: October 27, 2020, 05:53:47 pm »

A stereo photo of you delivering milk when you were a lad? A bit before you got the original prehistoric Rocky Horror T-shirt?  >:D

"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog"

Edited to add: And I'm sure that everybody here would agree that "Who's a good boy?" could be answered by "Tggzzz is. Yes he is".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:58:33 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73344 on: October 27, 2020, 05:55:07 pm »

Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out.  :P :P ;D

What can I say, I'm a traditionalist!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73345 on: October 27, 2020, 06:01:19 pm »

A stereo photo of you delivering milk when you were a lad? A bit before you got the original prehistoric Rocky Horror T-shirt?  >:D

"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog"

Edited to add: And I'm sure that everybody here would agree that "Who's a good boy?" could be answered by "Tggzzz is. Yes he is".

Drat. Secret's out.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73346 on: October 27, 2020, 06:07:10 pm »
Drat. Secret's out.

Ah, so you're trying to drum up work!  >:D

DRATS I'VE BEEN DISCOVERED!  :scared:

Check the time stamps. Looks like today is my day for outing people. (It's OK med, I'm not going to tell them about the New York hanky curtain colour code.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:09:51 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel, sandalcandal

Offline sandalcandal

• Supporter
  • MOAR POWA!
« Reply #73347 on: October 27, 2020, 06:28:01 pm »
Check the time stamps. Looks like today is my day for outing people. (It's OK med, I'm not going to tell them about the New York hanky curtain colour code.)

Just don't derail too many threads while you're at it champ :P
Disclosure: Involved in electric vehicle and energy storage system technologies

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73348 on: October 27, 2020, 06:37:07 pm »

A dog pulling a cart. It even says it in the file name: dogpullingcart.png

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73349 on: October 27, 2020, 06:40:42 pm »

No he hasn't that is the part he is painting tomorrow, he said so in his post :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf