Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14816539 times)

K0ELB and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73425 on: October 28, 2020, 05:00:46 pm »
RaspberryPi!   

mnem
nice pants.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73426 on: October 28, 2020, 05:21:17 pm »
Love those colors...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73427 on: October 28, 2020, 05:27:56 pm »
...I was expecting my parts today from DigiKey, being as it was sent Express yesterday; one of the benefits of paying the moosefucker tax is you get premium shipping built-in, so I NEEDED those heat-sinks ASAP! ;)

It was horrible to have to order that coax crimping kit just to get same-day-shipping on all of it, but I took one for the team.  >:D   Total cost: US$33, including PayPal's little markup on the exchange rate. 8)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

And it would have been here yesterday at 11:18AM if I hadn't transposed the first two numbers of my address when updating my account.  :palm:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73428 on: October 28, 2020, 05:41:02 pm »
Meanwhile I have had a strange eBay result, I was looking to order a 15V battery for an analogue multimeter and I clicked on the BIN button for a battery from a seller called "jlsbatteries" based in Shropshire, and got this message on screen.

Strange because I have never dealt with this seller before :palm: I can only assume that it must be one of these Chinese companies that uses a load of aliases in the UK to sell on eBay from UK warehouses and is most likely linked directly to that seller that I had the issue with over that ultrasonic cleaner and that they did not like having to pay for the return of their mis-sold item.

On the other hand I ordered some 1% resistors from another seller called "msgraphics", yesterday and today the seller popped them personally through my front door with a nice note. :-+

Edit. I decided to see if my son could order the battery me, so I popped into his room, and he logged and tried to buy it and bingo, it's on its way to me. So question for you IT and coding freaks, would my son have a different IP address to me or are all computers etc, after the main router seen as one address?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:48:50 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73429 on: October 28, 2020, 05:42:34 pm »
...I was expecting my parts today from DigiKey, being as it was sent Express yesterday; one of the benefits of paying the moosefucker tax is you get premium shipping built-in, so I NEEDED those heat-sinks ASAP! ;)

It was horrible to have to order that coax crimping kit just to get same-day-shipping on all of it, but I took one for the team.  >:D   Total cost: US$33, including PayPal's little markup on the exchange rate. 8)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

And it would have been here yesterday at 11:18AM if I hadn't transposed the first two numbers of my address when updating my account.  :palm:

mnem

You Dumb ass  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73430 on: October 28, 2020, 05:49:03 pm »
thank you sir; may I have another!    >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:56:39 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #73431 on: October 28, 2020, 06:00:13 pm »
Meanwhile I have had a strange eBay result, I was looking to order a 15V battery for an analogue multimeter and I clicked on the BIN button for a battery from a seller called "jlsbatteries" based in Shropshire, and got this message on screen.

Strange because I have never dealt with this seller before :palm: I can only assume that it must be one of these Chinese companies that uses a load of aliases in the UK to sell on eBay from UK warehouses and is most likely linked directly to that seller that I had the issue with over that ultrasonic cleaner and that they did not like having to pay for the return of their mis-sold item.

On the other hand I ordered some 1% resistors from another seller called "msgraphics", yesterday and today the seller popped them personally through my front door with a nice note. :-+

Edit. I decided to see if my son could order the battery me, so I popped into his room, and he logged and tried to buy it and bingo, it's on its way to me. So question for you IT and coding freaks, would my son have a different IP address to me or are all computers etc, after the main router seen as one address?

The seller would have blocked your ebay account from buying form them.

I can't see any way they could know your IP, ebay might know it but they aren't going to be allowed to forward that info.

If you want to test the theory, just try to buy from them by connecting to your ebay account through a VPN, I expect the same result; he no like you...   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73432 on: October 28, 2020, 06:19:54 pm »
I've had a seller block me because I (nicely) pointed out to them that an item they were listing as used and working was obviously  :-BROKE and a missing vital bits just from the photo. Their loss because I would have bought other kit from them. It is linked to your username not IP etc. On he other hand ebay's anti schill bidding is linked to IP addresses at least.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73433 on: October 28, 2020, 06:20:41 pm »

The other plausible explanation is that you have an ebay username that is 'one typo' away from someone else's and that this vendor has tried to bar that person, had to type the username in (as opposed to just clicking a button or such similar) and typed yours instead.

I suspect that your putative explanation is more likely to be right, except that it requires someone to be together enough to manage a whole bunch of accounts in a coordinated fashion which requires a level of efficiency that I've never seen in a business bigger than 3 people.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73434 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:09 pm »
   Currently abusing myself with Frustion360; working on a insert to organize all my favorite drivers in this little SS box. In theory they should all go; in practice...
We will pray for you.....   Nah.  Who am I kidding....    Somebody please thrown him a rope - I think in 3 or 4 days.

Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28mm layer height. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless at 0.06mm. :-DD

Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

mnem

Seriously? You're making a holder where the handle is downwards??

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73435 on: October 28, 2020, 06:26:59 pm »
   Currently abusing myself with Frustion360; working on a insert to organize all my favorite drivers in this little SS box. In theory they should all go; in practice...
We will pray for you.....   Nah.  Who am I kidding....    Somebody please thrown him a rope - I think in 3 or 4 days.

Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28mm layer height. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless at 0.06mm. :-DD

Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

mnem

McBryce.
Uses less material that way, so I guess that is the reason why and also because it allows him to be able to see the blade to aid quicker selection?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #73436 on: October 28, 2020, 06:27:07 pm »

McBryce.

It would certainly make for an unfortunate accidental cushion
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73437 on: October 28, 2020, 06:27:42 pm »
On Raspberry Pi's I've been working on one to act as a front panel for one of my GPSDO's. It will have a 5" touch screen and run Lady Heather on raspian. The GPSDO is a Trimble Thunderbolt. Just need to get the RS232 link up and running. It's just getting time to work on it and I've not used Linux a lot.
For this application a Pi is ideal, cheap and low power. I've various industrial PC cards that would fit but they use a lot more power.   

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #73438 on: October 28, 2020, 06:31:25 pm »

IP address is not likely the determining issue here, but simply user id. You must keep in mind that in parts of the world, entire villages can be hid behind one IP address, and the "unique" part of an IP address is a very diluted illusion.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73439 on: October 28, 2020, 06:33:24 pm »

McBryce.
Uses less material that way, so I guess that is the reason why and also because it allows him to be able to see the blade to aid quicker selection?
Yup. The business end is the end I care about; much quicker to find the one I want than poking and turning and trying to read numbers inscribed in a dozen different locations on a tool. And before you say that's silly; I have enough turnover in my tools (because I'm not afraid to abuse... err, push one to its limits ;)) that memorizing them is not feasible, and the "favorite tools" selection varies on a nearly weekly basis on my bench.
Also, I have a a terrible memory... that's why I buy/make organizers.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:27:01 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73440 on: October 28, 2020, 07:23:19 pm »
Received today some tools from Wiha.

A side cutter, because the one I have already suffered a little bit from *cough* abusing *cough*.

Ahem. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW?
Signed: Der Ohrenbevollmächtigte der Werkmittel-Missbrauchskommision

*mumbling*

Not sure. Just found a dent in the blades the other day. Must have cut something not suitable which I wasn't aware of...

*protect his ears with his hands*

Not pulling ears, please!
Not until proven. Was that a Wiha too?

On a unrelated note, the Texscan Attenuator is in and a cursory test says it is fine. Will take it to the VNA tomorrow and try out all stages. That will be a bit tedious, so I will probably not try all combinations.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73441 on: October 28, 2020, 07:26:24 pm »
On Raspberry Pi's I've been working on one to act as a front panel for one of my GPSDO's. It will have a 5" touch screen and run Lady Heather on raspian. The GPSDO is a Trimble Thunderbolt. Just need to get the RS232 link up and running. It's just getting time to work on it and I've not used Linux a lot.For this application a Pi is ideal, cheap and low power. I've various industrial PC cards that would fit but they use a lot more power.

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=the-thunderbolt-monitor-kit#new

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=thunderbolt-monitor-android-app

Anything here of use to you...?

mnem

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #73442 on: October 28, 2020, 07:48:06 pm »
Wow... was offline for a bit...busy at the office and night in the DC......needed to catch up 10 pages... @med is rebuilding his lab, but not blue... was i out that long.. :-DD

was a nice day out with the wife and dog... some rain.. but we got a nice present from nature..

arriving home the mailman with my new score.....yeah!
last week i wanted to sell my HP 3478A... now i have 2  ......... for sale...:-DD
also scored a nice PSU ... but omg its huge.   video ccoming

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Zucca, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #73443 on: October 28, 2020, 08:06:38 pm »
Restoring an older triple output PSU Mashtech YH3003D-3 ,
found it on the local ebay , a lot bigger then i though.. bit very nice after the cleanup.

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, BILLPOD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73444 on: October 28, 2020, 08:56:25 pm »
good news. my esteemed colleague (the one who worked at Bell Labs) got a contract extension and will continue to work for me.
 :clap:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73445 on: October 28, 2020, 08:58:22 pm »
Good to hear. My contractors are fucking of on Friday.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73446 on: October 28, 2020, 09:13:04 pm »
Restoring an older triple output PSU Mashtech YH3003D-3 ,
found it on the local ebay , a lot bigger then i though.. bit very nice after the cleanup.

*mugs tony for his PSU*

mnem
Let that be a lesson tooya!!!
:-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73447 on: October 28, 2020, 09:29:44 pm »
Oh the classic Mastech tap switching nukatron power supply. Make sure you use a crowbar with it for anything you care about.

The tap switch relay controls the total PD of the pass transistor (Ic*(Vc-Ve)) by switching the input voltage to a lower tap when the output voltage is low. Alas it usually ends up with sticky or knackered relays that fail unsafe to the higher voltage. This causes the pass transistor to exceed its SOA and blow C-E short resulting in lots of glorious volts flying into your DUT.

Annoyingly though when they're not failing like this they're actually fairly good.

I have fixed a few of these over the years since the design landed in the late 1990s and it's always a duff relay and pass transistor and someone crying.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:31:25 pm by bd139 »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73448 on: October 28, 2020, 09:32:06 pm »

McBryce.
Yup. The business end is the end I care about; much quicker to find the one I want than poking and turning and trying to read numbers inscribed in a dozen different locations on a tool. And before you say that's silly; I have enough turnover in my tools (because I'm not afraid to abuse... err, push one to its limits ;)) that memorizing them is not feasible, and the "favorite tools" selection varies on a nearly weekly basis on my bench.
Also, I have a a terrible memory... that's why I buy/make organizers.  :-DD

mnem

Maybe I just don't swap my screwdrivers as often as you guys, but I can recognise the type and size of my screwdrivers from their handles.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73449 on: October 28, 2020, 10:06:33 pm »
something TEA related. My 2002A now reports increased bandwidth (200 MHz). Plus a couple of options it did not have before. Still need to do some tinkering. LAN card is sitting here ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf