Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14790401 times)

ArtFromNY, Vince and 97 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73450 on: October 28, 2020, 10:14:16 pm »
Also have an MSO probe. Let's see ... (week end work ...)

This to be working alleviates the need for yet another scope. Seems that the 2002A was a good idea after all (for 475 Pesos ...)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73451 on: October 28, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »
Received today some tools from Wiha.

A side cutter, because the one I have already suffered a little bit from *cough* abusing *cough*.

Ahem. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW?
Signed: Der Ohrenbevollmächtigte der Werkmittel-Missbrauchskommision

*mumbling*

Not sure. Just found a dent in the blades the other day. Must have cut something not suitable which I wasn't aware of...

*protect his ears with his hands*

Not pulling ears, please!
Not until proven. Was that a Wiha too?

Yes, same model: Wiha Z 40 0 03. The old one has a length of 143mm the new one of 128mm

Looks like, Wiha messed up a bit the sizes on their website:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #73452 on: October 28, 2020, 11:25:24 pm »
Meanwhile I have had a strange eBay result, I was looking to order a 15V battery for an analogue multimeter and I clicked on the BIN button for a battery from a seller called "jlsbatteries" based in Shropshire, and got this message on screen.

Strange because I have never dealt with this seller before :palm: I can only assume that it must be one of these Chinese companies that uses a load of aliases in the UK to sell on eBay from UK warehouses and is most likely linked directly to that seller that I had the issue with over that ultrasonic cleaner and that they did not like having to pay for the return of their mis-sold item.

On the other hand I ordered some 1% resistors from another seller called "msgraphics", yesterday and today the seller popped them personally through my front door with a nice note. :-+

Edit. I decided to see if my son could order the battery me, so I popped into his room, and he logged and tried to buy it and bingo, it's on its way to me. So question for you IT and coding freaks, would my son have a different IP address to me or are all computers etc, after the main router seen as one address?

The seller would have blocked your ebay account from buying form them.

I can't see any way they could know your IP, ebay might know it but they aren't going to be allowed to forward that info.

If you want to test the theory, just try to buy from them by connecting to your ebay account through a VPN, I expect the same result; he no like you...   :-DD

It's a LOT simpler than you think.

Just change your username - it's fairly simple.  Just go into your Account details/personal information and do an edit on your username.  If nobody else has the one you want to change it to, then you can have it.

This will then bypass the "Blocked Bidders List" that a Seller can set up - because that list only uses the username - not the actual account - to stop you.  Experienced Sellers know about this - and aren't happy, but that's how it rolls.

Brilliant, eh?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #73453 on: October 28, 2020, 11:27:22 pm »

Seriously? You're making a holder where the handle is downwards??

McBryce.

It would certainly make for an unfortunate accidental cushion

Let's hope Uncle Bumblebutt doesn't discover this the hard way.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73454 on: October 28, 2020, 11:44:31 pm »

McBryce.

It would certainly make for an unfortunate accidental cushion

Let's hope Uncle Bumblebutt doesn't discover this the hard way.

... or anybody else in the house.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73455 on: October 28, 2020, 11:51:32 pm »
Ah yes the “paper spike” approach. Hmm.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73456 on: October 29, 2020, 12:15:40 am »
Meanwhile I have had a strange eBay result, I was looking to order a 15V battery for an analogue multimeter and I clicked on the BIN button for a battery from a seller called "jlsbatteries" based in Shropshire, and got this message on screen.

Strange because I have never dealt with this seller before :palm: I can only assume that it must be one of these Chinese companies that uses a load of aliases in the UK to sell on eBay from UK warehouses and is most likely linked directly to that seller that I had the issue with over that ultrasonic cleaner and that they did not like having to pay for the return of their mis-sold item.

On the other hand I ordered some 1% resistors from another seller called "msgraphics", yesterday and today the seller popped them personally through my front door with a nice note. :-+

Edit. I decided to see if my son could order the battery me, so I popped into his room, and he logged and tried to buy it and bingo, it's on its way to me. So question for you IT and coding freaks, would my son have a different IP address to me or are all computers etc, after the main router seen as one address?

I can't see any way they could know your IP, ebay might know it but they aren't going to be allowed to forward that info.

If you want to test the theory, just try to buy from them by connecting to your ebay account through a VPN, I expect the same result; he no like you...   :-DD

Just change your username - it's fairly simple.  Just go into your Account details/personal information and do an edit on your username.  If nobody else has the one you want to change it to, then you can have it.

This will then bypass the "Blocked Bidders List" that a Seller can set up - because that list only uses the username - not the actual account - to stop you.  Experienced Sellers know about this - and aren't happy, but that's how it rolls.

Brilliant, eh?
Nope, I changed my username and guess what, nothing changed except my username, I tried to purchase another battery and had the same result, so clearly not just the username.

Edit: I have just flushed out my cache and also rebooted the computer and tried again to buy another battery and the result is still the same, so there is clearly another mechanism in play other than the username.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:24:15 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #73457 on: October 29, 2020, 12:27:29 am »
Seriously? You're making a holder where the handle is downwards??   McBryce.
Uses less material that way, so I guess that is the reason why and also because it allows him to be able to see the blade to aid quicker selection?
Yup. The business end is the end I care about; much quicker to find the one I want than poking and turning and trying to read numbers inscribed in a dozen different locations on a tool. And before you say that's silly; I have enough turnover in my tools (because I'm not afraid to abuse... err, push one to its limits ;)) that memorizing them is not feasible, and the "favorite tools" selection varies on a nearly weekly basis on my bench.   Also, I have a a terrible memory... that's why I buy/make organizers.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
Maybe I just don't swap my screwdrivers as often as you guys, but I can recognise the type and size of my screwdrivers from their handles.   McBryce.
  I own far too many for that. Easily hundreds between a dozen toolboxes; more than 50 just in the one desk drawer those came out of.

Every person works different; the smarter ones tend to be very "different". ;) As a result, every engineer/tech/mechanic's preferred workflow will differ; just like my discussion with Spec over how I set up my scope trolley to protect the scope.  >:D

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:29:03 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73458 on: October 29, 2020, 12:30:58 am »
Seriously? You're making a holder where the handle is downwards??   McBryce.
Uses less material that way, so I guess that is the reason why and also because it allows him to be able to see the blade to aid quicker selection?
Yup. The business end is the end I care about; much quicker to find the one I want than poking and turning and trying to read numbers inscribed in a dozen different locations on a tool. And before you say that's silly; I have enough turnover in my tools (because I'm not afraid to abuse... err, push one to its limits ;)) that memorizing them is not feasible, and the "favorite tools" selection varies on a nearly weekly basis on my bench.   Also, I have a a terrible memory... that's why I buy/make organizers.  :-DD

mnem
Maybe I just don't swap my screwdrivers as often as you guys, but I can recognise the type and size of my screwdrivers from their handles.   McBryce.
  I own far too many for that. Easily hundreds between a dozen toolboxes; more than 50 just in the one desk drawer those came out of.

Every person works different; the smarter ones tend to be very "different". ;) As a result, every engineer/tech/mechanic's preferred workflow will differ; just like my discussion with Spec over how I set up my scope trolley to protect the scope.  >:D

mnem
Except of course it failed to protect your scope  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73459 on: October 29, 2020, 12:31:52 am »

Strange because I have never dealt with this seller before :palm:

I can only assume that it must be one of these Chinese companies that uses a load of aliases in the UK to sell on eBay from UK warehouses and is most likely linked directly to that seller that I had the issue with over that ultrasonic cleaner and that they did not like having to pay for the return of their mis-sold item.

The seller would have blocked your ebay account from buying form them.   I can't see any way they could know your IP, ebay might know it but they aren't going to be allowed to forward that info.   If you want to test the theory, just try to buy from them by connecting to your ebay account through a VPN, I expect the same result; he no like you...   :-DD   

It's a LOT simpler than you think.   Just change your username - it's fairly simple.  Just go into your Account details/personal information and do an edit on your username.  If nobody else has the one you want to change it to, then you can have it.   This will then bypass the "Blocked Bidders List" that a Seller can set up - because that list only uses the username - not the actual account - to stop you.  Experienced Sellers know about this - and aren't happy, but that's how it rolls.

Brilliant, eh?
Nope, I changed my username and guess what, nothing changed except my username, I tried to purchase another battery and had the same result, so clearly not just the username.

Edit: I have just flushed out my cache and also rebooted the computer and tried again to buy another battery and the result is still the same, so there is clearly another mechanism in play other than the username.

You're still using the same account, tied to the same eMail address so you keep your feedback. eBay is a bunch of fuckwits, but they at least know enough to adapt that much. Your feedback profile is what they're blocking.

mnem
*punt*
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:33:52 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73460 on: October 29, 2020, 12:35:52 am »

Brilliant, eh?

You're probably still using the same account, tied to the same eMail address so you keep your feedback. eBay is a bunch of fuckwits, but they at least know enough to adapt that much.

mnem
*punt*
Correct, I'm still using the same email address and retained my feedback and user rating, it would be complete folly to give up your feedback and overall rating when have over 1,000 feedbacks and all 100% ratings wouldn't it :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73461 on: October 29, 2020, 12:35:56 am »
You're still using the same account, tied to the same eMail address so you keep your feedback. eBay is a bunch of fuckwits, but they at least know enough to adapt that much. Your feedback profile is what they're blocking.

Or a unique user-ID which is not visible to the public.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:38:08 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73462 on: October 29, 2020, 12:40:45 am »
...Every person works different; the smarter ones tend to be very "different". ;) As a result, every engineer/tech/mechanic's preferred workflow will differ; just like my discussion with Spec over how I set up my scope trolley to protect the scope.  >:D

mnem
Except of course it failed to protect your scope  :-DD

It failed to protect it against a new and emergent threat: My ass:-DD

It did not fail to protect it from the type of damage anticipated against decades of my own toolhound abuses. ;)

mnem
"May the arse be with you."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73463 on: October 29, 2020, 12:42:49 am »
Or a unique user-ID which is not visible to the public.

To fleaBay, it's all the same account. :-//

mnem
*listening to the song of the nulls*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73464 on: October 29, 2020, 01:25:36 am »
Urrgh. Spent all day trying to find the parts for my 4070A from a CA warehouse... ANY CA warehouse... eventually gave up and paid the moosefucker tax; ordered it from DigiKey.  :palm:
Yeah Digikey is your best bet. 8$ for shipping is quite reasonable. Mouser shipping fee is a bit more expensive. Arrow was great when they offered free shipping on everything. But it's now something like 50$US on small orders  :(
Whoa...that's insane. I rather like Mouser, actually, because they are right next door to me in the tinker dwagon's favorite state.  :-DD Shipping is cheap and fast, even with ground options. But paradoxically, I've found that sometimes UPS second day air is actually cheaper than ground with Mouser. I'll take it.

Hey... DigiKey EARNED their CAD$55 this time.

I got to the FEDEX depot this afternoon at 17:00 (they are open til 21:00); after waiting outdoors for 10 minutes (only 3 inside at a time: COVID), I get in there and the associate informs me that he couldn't release the parcel to me, because DigiKey has "restrictions on their account to prevent address correction or parcel redirection without direct authorization from DigiKey", so there was no way I could fix it, even though it was an obvious typo in the street number.  |O It certainly would have been nice if the tracking result had sad "Delivery exception, contact shipper" rather than telling me it was available for pickup any time 'til 21:00.  :palm:

Of course, I mumbled and grumbled my way back to the car... then I thought back to the days when I was ordering palletloads of shit from them on company accounts and it really did make sense; they have single line items the size of a breadbox that literally cost a cool half mil. Imagine the shitstorm if one of those wound up redirected...

So I decided hang it all and called DigiKey. I spoke with 2 different APs; the one who took the call, and then someone higher up.  They both stayed on the line with me... sending eMails with complete billing and authorization from the DigiKey domain and letterhead to release my parcel, until finally we met the FEDEX agent's requirements so he could cover his ass.

That's one AP and one manager on the phone until the problem was resolved to my satisfaction. On my way out to the car, I noted the time involved and the name in the eMail.

"Catherine, is that you I'm talking with?"

"Yes, I'm here."

"You guys both stayed on the line with me for over half an hour, until my problem was fixed. I can't believe you went through all that hassle for my little order. You are magical; thank you so much."

"Oh, it doesn't matter, sir... Whether it's a dollar or ten thousand; that's what customer service is about."

"Yes, I agree... and it's nice to see it in action; something all too rare in today's age of voice-menu loops and dumb blank looks so loud you can hear them over the phone."

*soft chuckle from the other end*

"You rock; thanks for being the exception, and have a great evening."

"You too sir."

*click*

Now THAT's what I'm talking aboot.  :-+

mnem
*toddles off to nuke a arb*

« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 01:29:30 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, cyclin_al, syau, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus, dl6lr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73465 on: October 29, 2020, 01:42:39 am »
Good to hear. My contractors are fucking off on Friday.

Are they fucking off on or off the clock...?  :-DD

mnem
"...and don't go in the cubicle with the tissues and hand lotion. Just DON'T."

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #73466 on: October 29, 2020, 03:08:12 am »

McBryce.
Yup. The business end is the end I care about; much quicker to find the one I want than poking and turning and trying to read numbers inscribed in a dozen different locations on a tool. And before you say that's silly; I have enough turnover in my tools (because I'm not afraid to abuse... err, push one to its limits ;)) that memorizing them is not feasible, and the "favorite tools" selection varies on a nearly weekly basis on my bench.
Also, I have a a terrible memory... that's why I buy/make organizers.  :-DD

mnem

Speaking of the business ends of drivers, got any advice on finding reasonable screwdrivers with triangular bits, sometimes referred to as TA?  (think of three sides, rather than the four sides of a Robertson head.  This is not the same as a tri-wing, which is similar to a Philips head.)  You can see the bit shape in this picture, although these bits do not match my criteria below.

I am encountering more and more items that use this type of screws to hold together plastic cases.
Checking out the usual sources (easily available to me and what I think of as usual...), and not finding anything suitable.
What I need is a driver with a shaft length of at least 45 mm.  Often times, these screws are deeply recessed in the plastic case.
To fit into the recess, the shaft diameter needs to be about 4 mm.  The standard bits that fit into the 1/4" hex shaped adapters are much to big to be useful in these cases.
Bit sizes I am looking for are the smaller ones: 1.4mm, 1.8mm, 2.0mm, 2.3mm, 2.7mm, 3.0mm.  There are larger sizes, but I am not sure I would need those.

Any thoughts on where to find these?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73467 on: October 29, 2020, 04:20:36 am »
https://www.banggood.com/PENGGONG-Triangle-Magnetic-Screwdriver-Set-Home-Repair-Tool-Kit-Hand-Tool-1_82_02_33_0mm-p-1390779.html

https://www.banggood.com/Broppe-4pcs-50mm-1_8-2_7-14-Inch-Hex-Shank-Magnetic-Triangle-Screwdriver-Bits-p-1142058.html

https://www.banggood.com/search/broppe.html

Here's some at a reasonable price off bang-em-good. The PENGGONG sound like what you're asking for, if not all the sizes. I have zero first-hand experience with their quality, but the handles look pretty cheap. Still so inexpensive it's hard not to suggest them, tho; if you get one job done with them they've paid for themselves. :-//

I can speak to the BROPPE brand personally; much better quality than the price. Full stop; no qualifiers. I have several sets of their driver bits; I especially like the 150mm (120mm shank) #1 & #2 Philips with various size shanks so they self-align in the screw hole. Good quality tool steel, sometimes a hair overpolished and rounded corners, but every bit serviceable. For the price and the functionality, really hard to beat. And the magnetizing holds up very well on magnetized sets.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #73468 on: October 29, 2020, 06:23:56 am »

Brilliant, eh?

If that's the case, then things have changed ... and I stand corrected.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #73469 on: October 29, 2020, 07:46:15 am »
Oh the classic M-------- tap switching...

TEA Rule N# 14: Never write, say or even think the name or anything related to that company...

Everyone who broke this rule will be reported to the TEA moderator Cerebus
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 07:50:06 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73470 on: October 29, 2020, 08:13:48 am »
On Raspberry Pi's I've been working on one to act as a front panel for one of my GPSDO's. It will have a 5" touch screen and run Lady Heather on raspian. The GPSDO is a Trimble Thunderbolt. Just need to get the RS232 link up and running. It's just getting time to work on it and I've not used Linux a lot.For this application a Pi is ideal, cheap and low power. I've various industrial PC cards that would fit but they use a lot more power.

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=the-thunderbolt-monitor-kit#new

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=thunderbolt-monitor-android-app

Anything here of use to you...?

mnem

Didiers stuff is very good but I want the additional functionality of Lady Heather.  previously had a basic monitor a bit like Didier's but using a pic.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #73471 on: October 29, 2020, 08:26:07 am »
Back from Dave's lab clean out.  Picked up a few bits - and bought myself something ... that I really didn't need - but, hey, that's what you do, isn't it?   :-//

Some stuff:

Some scrap:

Some stationery:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^  These boxes are the ones Dave uses for the BM235 and carry the "No BullS**t Packaging" graphic I did for him.  Until today, I never had a physical example of one of my creations being used commercially - which is why I grabbed them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:21:54 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, syau, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73472 on: October 29, 2020, 08:41:09 am »
TEA Rule N# 14: Never write, say or even think the name or anything related to that company...

I have an IR thermometer from the unspoken company. It drains the 9V battery within a week being unused. So I have to put  one in (and remove it afterwards) every time I want to use it...  :palm:

Regards, Bernd

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #73473 on: October 29, 2020, 09:13:03 am »
Bernd, don't worry Harry Potter will help us.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73474 on: October 29, 2020, 09:18:49 am »
I am encountering more and more items that use this type of screws to hold together plastic cases.
Checking out the usual sources (easily available to me and what I think of as usual...), and not finding anything suitable.
What I need is a driver with a shaft length of at least 45 mm.  Often times, these screws are deeply recessed in the plastic case.

My experience is that there is always a flathead that fits nicely.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf