Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14892894 times)

shakalnokturn, Vince and 168 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73775 on: November 01, 2020, 02:47:52 pm »
They fucking canceled Halloween. The boi dressed up as Ichigo from Bleach; did a damn fine job too. But not even a trunk or treat nor nuthin' fer him ta go to.  :o

mnem
*p00t!*

Did you really think trick or treating was gonna happen?  :-//

Did happen over here. I had around 75 kids coming I think. Distributed all the candies I had anyway.

I had to improvise a setup though. I tie-wrapped my fishing rod case (Big plastic tube) on the handrail to slide the candies to the kids. Also, since I'm a lazy bastard, I extended my rigging bell near the candy slide. So I spent the evening drinking Smithwick's beers and watching a movie. Only had to go outside when a kid was actually there  :-DD

I have no idea what happen here, nor do I care, because I never get any T/T anyway.

Python + camera board + OpenCV + motor control board + 2 gimbal motors + solenoid value + hosepipe = peace at Halloween  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73776 on: November 01, 2020, 02:48:36 pm »
The Type 310A has been powered up for a few hours and no new issues observed. Have other things to do today so I'll look at that trace ripple issue tomorrow. In the meantime I'll let it continue to cook.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73777 on: November 01, 2020, 02:54:53 pm »
That's 9 Meg of leakage at a couple of of volts. At a kV or more the leakage is likely to be much higher. Need a Megger or Genrad Megometer to tell.

Ceramics do fail. Many years ago I repaired boards with hundreds of TTL chips and a 0.1uF ceramic per chip. Used to get those go short and were a bugger to find.

That happened to me when I built my NASCOM-1 kit way back when. I pulled all the chips from their sockets and went hunting using the find-the-lowest-voltage technique - with my AVO 8 (which I still have, though there is a sticky point about 1/3 the way up the scale)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73778 on: November 01, 2020, 03:00:23 pm »
They fucking canceled Halloween. The boi dressed up as Ichigo from Bleach; did a damn fine job too. But not even a trunk or treat nor nuthin' fer him ta go to.  :o

mnem
*p00t!*

Did happen over here. I had around 75 kids coming I think. Distributed all the candies I had anyway.

I had to improvise a setup though. I tie-wrapped my fishing rod case (Big plastic tube) on the handrail to slide the candies to the kids. Also, since I'm a lazy bastard, I extended my rigging bell near the candy slide. So I spent the evening drinking Smithwick's beers and watching a movie. Only had to go outside when a kid was actually there  :-DD

I have no idea what happen here, nor do I care, because I never get any T/T anyway.

Python + camera board + OpenCV + motor control board + 2 gimbal motors + solenoid value + hosepipe = peace at Halloween  >:D
So basically you just soak the poor kids as a trick and no treat. >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73779 on: November 01, 2020, 03:13:07 pm »

mnem
*p00t!*

He needs a flaming bag of dog shit at his front door too.   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73780 on: November 01, 2020, 03:26:48 pm »

mnem
*p00t!*

I would think that's a strong possibility if he does soak them, maybe one of the kids or their parents will leave it there for him   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73781 on: November 01, 2020, 03:30:04 pm »

You think the computer vision guided hosepipe system wouldn't trained for fire as well as small "targets of opportunity". Really, I think you'd at least credit me with that much intelligence.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #73782 on: November 01, 2020, 03:37:12 pm »

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73783 on: November 01, 2020, 03:50:41 pm »

From the WTF WERE THEY THINKING?!? Files...

Android10 has removed the option to set specific notification sounds by application. I just spent 15 minutes going through all my archived SMS messages to set my preferred custom notification tone, one at a time, for all the people I give half a fuck aboot. Ifni save me if I ever get an important SMS from someone I don't already have selected in this manner.

Jeebus.

mnem
Seriously Googs...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 05:03:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73784 on: November 01, 2020, 03:54:39 pm »

Yeah 2kg of sugar free Haribo here and no one knocked  :-DD

Eat some and report back. Then again, we don't want to know.  :o :-DD

You ate some, didn't you.  :o :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73785 on: November 01, 2020, 04:44:15 pm »

mnem
*p00t!*

The advice, like everything else up here, has been all over the map contradictory and inconsistent.  They finally said that trick or treating could be done safely a couple of days ago but by then Halloween had been so thoroughly cancelled it was too late to turn it around.  This after telling everyone to scratch Halloween to save Christmas, and then pretty much the same day they outlined how to manage trick or treating safely, Trudeau started making noises about putting Christmas on the chopping block.

Halloween's normally pretty quiet on my street and this year was almost a writeoff which is a shame given that Halloween landed on a Saturday night with good weather and a full moon plus the time change for a nice long sleep into tomorrow morning.  There might have been 10-12 houses giving out candy in total on the four or five blocks my street spans between the two main streets it crosses and around 12-18 groups of kids.  I've been wanting to get out an old lab coat from work and set up a bunch of Nixie test equipment on my porch to do a Mad Scientist's Lab except the previous Halloweens I've been home for have had wet weather, so scratch that idea.  This year would've been perfect for doing that except for everything else wrong with the pandemic.

What really ticked me off was the nasty piece of work neighbour.  She never gives candy out.  But tonight she went one step further, she spent most of it sitting on her front porch smoking cigarettes watching the whole bust go down as the handful of trick or treaters wandered up and down a street that was mostly dark, confusing all of them by being out on her porch as if she was going to give out candy but not actually giving out candy.  That's just cruel.  On October 31st, she's a witch.  The rest of the year, she's what you get when you change the first letter.  If you aren't going to do Halloween, don't hang out on your front porch, period.

Here's how you can karma the bitch. Get a paper bag. Fill it with dog shit. Place it at her front door. Light it on fire. Ring the doorbell. Run.

Oops...sorry, Canadians are too nice to do that.  :P :-DD

Correct.  For that reason, she'd be wise to remember that I am not completely Canadian.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73786 on: November 01, 2020, 05:58:30 pm »
That's why Surströmming And trebuchets exist.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73787 on: November 01, 2020, 06:38:50 pm »
Sounds like a little boutique shop.

"Darling I'm going to pop into 'Surströmming and Trebuchets ' while I'm in town. Do you want anything?|

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73788 on: November 01, 2020, 06:49:18 pm »
I can't find a translation for this?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73789 on: November 01, 2020, 06:50:26 pm »
It's basically fucking rancid canned fermented herrings.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73790 on: November 01, 2020, 07:42:11 pm »
Oh I see, is it Swedish by any chance? I think they had tins of that on Top Gear recently.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #73791 on: November 01, 2020, 08:20:55 pm »
Oh I see, is it Swedish by any chance? I think they had tins of that on Top Gear recently.

It is.

Northern part of Sweden, Baltic coast around 63° N. The "High Coast" as it is called, because it is an archipelago with steep islands. They couldn't afford salt for their herring, so undersalted, and the result was fermented. It really stinks but the taste is much better than the smell.  The trick to minimise inconvenience is to park your trebuchet, but stay outside, and get a bucket, fill it with drinking water, and open the can under water. This will contain The Spray and allow you to pick the filets out as cleanly as possible.

Traditionally, the fish is served with a thin soft or crispy bread called Tunnbröd (lit. "thin bread", "dünnes Brot") that looks like a large square tortilla but is made from wheat and rye, Swedish peanut fingerling potatoes, and chopped red onion. Vodka or even better, Aquavit, is IMNSHO a required drink, and it is recommended to have beer available too.  Some connoisseurs require milk instead of alcohol. I can't even drink milk to unfermented fish, so I'll stick to the Aquavit.

That is, if I ever try it again. I think that once is enough, and since I remember the smell even now, 30 years later, I see no need to  repeat the test. 

I also got very sick, but I think the vodka can have played a part in that.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #73792 on: November 01, 2020, 08:22:08 pm »
Metal bearings? Psshhh... what a waste of money.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73793 on: November 01, 2020, 08:37:26 pm »
Mmm, all this Swedish food talk got me reaching for a pack of DJUNGELVRÁL
Licorice monkeys coated in acid flux  :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73794 on: November 01, 2020, 08:58:48 pm »
Up until about a year ago I had perhaps one or two vacuum tubes as spare stock. How fortunes have changed. Required to support my addiction to old iron.  ;D

And sorry to disappoint the tube raiders. No spare 6DJ8 Bugle Boys. They are all in play. There are some Made in England National 6DJ8's in that spare stock but I think the audiophools aren't as impressed.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, bd139

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #73795 on: November 01, 2020, 09:30:16 pm »

Trebuchets are better for solving parking problems:

Greetings,

Rainer

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73796 on: November 01, 2020, 09:39:15 pm »

It is.

Northern part of Sweden, Baltic coast around 63° N. The "High Coast" as it is called, because it is an archipelago with steep islands. They couldn't afford salt for their herring, so undersalted, and the result was fermented. It really stinks but the taste is much better than the smell.  The trick to minimise inconvenience is to park your trebuchet, but stay outside, and get a bucket, fill it with drinking water, and open the can under water. This will contain The Spray and allow you to pick the filets out as cleanly as possible.

Traditionally, the fish is served with a thin soft or crispy bread called Tunnbröd (lit. "thin bread", "dünnes Brot") that looks like a large square tortilla but is made from wheat and rye, Swedish peanut fingerling potatoes, and chopped red onion. Vodka or even better, Aquavit, is IMNSHO a required drink, and it is recommended to have beer available too.  Some connoisseurs require milk instead of alcohol. I can't even drink milk to unfermented fish, so I'll stick to the Aquavit.

That is, if I ever try it again. I think that once is enough, and since I remember the smell even now, 30 years later, I see no need to  repeat the test. 

I also got very sick, but I think the vodka can have played a part in that.
Fast forward to 55:00 for the best bit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000n81g/top-gear-series-29-episode-1
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #73797 on: November 01, 2020, 09:44:06 pm »
actually the trebuchet was meant to fling the surströmming can in the direction of said bitchwitch.

Over here we call that biochemical warfare ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #73798 on: November 01, 2020, 10:02:36 pm »
For tins full of surströmming I would prefer an onager:

more portable!

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73799 on: November 01, 2020, 10:31:37 pm »
*blerk*

mnem
and a half.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf