Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406763 times)

Peter_O, EggertEnjoyer123 and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76050 on: November 25, 2020, 09:54:17 am »
got a new phone today and was busy transferring the config from my old one when the Pixel XL battery decided it had had it and called it seppuku time. Tried to configure the new phone (pixel 2 xl) when vodafone decided to kill my fritzbox (ppoe timeout, power cycle did not revive it. Reset to factory defaults did ...
cost me 2 hours of my life.
Not happy.

You seem to be almost permanently "Not Happy" these days, life sucks sometimes, but overall it balances things out, think positive thoughts, thats my motto.

Having a pint with some friends helps too!  :D

Not during lockdown ...

to paraphrase ...
Yes. Yes. Saskia is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs.
Very sad life, probably have ... very sad death.
But... at least there is Symmetry.

Do what I would do......if I drank.   ;D

(And to some extent in the past I was that beast of burden to other people's needs. No more)

Edit...and this is meant to cheer you up.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #76051 on: November 25, 2020, 10:23:00 am »
Saskia, if you need cheering up you can always look at your Belgian neighbours clusterfuck that is their Corona managment.

Schadenfreude ftw.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #76052 on: November 25, 2020, 11:02:59 am »
got a new phone today and was busy transferring the config from my old one when the Pixel XL battery decided it had had it and called it seppuku time. Tried to configure the new phone (pixel 2 xl) when vodafone decided to kill my fritzbox (ppoe timeout, power cycle did not revive it. Reset to factory defaults did ...
Not happy.

You and me both. This weekend I was wiring in some more circuits in the machine room, feeding the water cooling fans, solenoids and pumps more permanently, and also adding a branch to my 1:1 mains isolation transformer. I managed to discover that

• My UPS batteries need swapping. They die if the double-PSU computers, routers and switches lose their bypass feed (All dual-PSU machines have one PSU on UPS and one direct) and the UPS can't keep up. It also does not help that I've got too many machines running since I'm trying to migrate to a 10G switch and also remove the old router by configuring the new switch to route as well, together with a very drawn-out process to replace my colo machine with a new one.
  • The damn RCCB test switch has a hair trigger! Second outage was killing all power by accidentally pushing the test button while working in the live fuse box.

The first outage did not reboot the present router, but I believe that the fiber CPE glitched enough to wedge the DHCP assignments and I had no outside IP address for some time. And consequently no tunnels (through which I get my real addresses routed) could go up.

The second outage unglitched it all, so it can best be described as mixed blessing. Then perhaps from all mangling with on/off switching et c, the solenoid valve in the water cooler stuck closed, so no circulation was possible. This might have damaged the circulation pump. I'll find out in spring. For now, I'm draining the system, which I'd planned to do anyway, to fit an expansion vessel and replace the pure water with water/alcohol mix to stop freezing if I have a circulation stopping outage. Also, when I've drained that, I can and should drain the pool to winter levels to prevent valves and filter from freezing, which can be expensive.

I don't know what the electrical regs are in Sweden, but if they permit, it may be worth investigating changing to an RCBO setup, where your main isolation switch is just that, and each circuit is protected by an individual MCB and RCD combined into one device (RCBO).

Assuming your house wiring isn't in MICC (   ::)  ) it should greatly reduce the chance of nuisance and accidental tripping...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #76053 on: November 25, 2020, 11:28:44 am »
ah don't worry...

I could play "the kids are alright", but life just sucks sometimes. The important thing is that you stand up after falling down. The rest does not matter.

"Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease"

Lots of truth in that.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76054 on: November 25, 2020, 12:32:06 pm »
Not happy.

You seem to be almost permanently "Not Happy" these days, life sucks sometimes, but overall it balances things out, think positive thoughts, thats my motto.

Don't worry Spec, we Germans complain even when everything is ok.
If everything is really fine we answer the question "How are you?" (Na, wie geht's?) by stating that there's nothing to complain about (Ich kann nicht klagen.).
Being able to complain about something is actually a state of well being for a native German.   ;D
Don't worry too much.   ;)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #76055 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:05 pm »
Me, meeting a colleague from the UK at the coffee machine:

"Morning, how's life?"

"Could be worse."

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #76056 on: November 25, 2020, 12:47:37 pm »
Me, meeting a colleague from the UK at the coffee machine:

"Morning, how's life?"

"Could be worse."

:-DD
Reminds me of the very old Kiwi joke about why doesn't the noise stop after the jet engines are turned off after a British Airways flight arrives in Auckland with a load of new English immigrants.

So if the engines had stopped whining, what still was ?  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76057 on: November 25, 2020, 12:55:48 pm »
Dropping SWMBO off at work this morning, I spotted this Ford in front, so I downloaded the footage from the dashcam to share it with you even though most of you are fuelled by coffee, I still figured that this was worthy of posting  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76058 on: November 25, 2020, 01:11:38 pm »
You probably should have obscured his number plate to avoid hassle. Data protection act and all that.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76059 on: November 25, 2020, 01:19:29 pm »
Hmm, just posted a reply to the thread, but it has gone nuts? Strange... Now the upload fails security checks...

This cutie just arrived:

Warming up, waiting to be switched on later.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:32:56 pm by dl6lr »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, factory, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76060 on: November 25, 2020, 01:29:36 pm »
If it said "teabaggers" it would have a whole different meaning.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76061 on: November 25, 2020, 01:30:33 pm »
You probably should have obscured his number plate to avoid hassle. Data protection act and all that.

McBryce.

Only really a concern for corporate entities making collections of data, not for individuals doing one off things. The corporate enthusiasm for obscuring faces and number-plates in individual bits of footage, like news reports, is really a bit of over zealousness on behalf of bored corporate lawyers. I mean, you walk down the street every day and can read every number-plate on every vehicle and the world doesn't come to an end. Big databases like street view - now that's a completely different matter. This one off photo doesn't bother me, and there's people in government who would, I'm sure, describe me as a pain in the arse privacy activist.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76062 on: November 25, 2020, 01:36:57 pm »
If it said "teabaggers" it would have a whole different meaning.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The similarity is, I'm sure, not accidental. Thinking along those lines, if the Lady Cop has become enamoured with British TV, perhaps she'd like another staple of the British Psyche, the "Carry On" film. Not sure which to suggest as the 'gateway drug': Carry On Up The Khyber, Carry On Screaming or Carry On Camping.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76063 on: November 25, 2020, 01:42:21 pm »

McBryce.

Only really a concern for corporate entities making collections of data, not for individuals doing one off things. The corporate enthusiasm for obscuring faces and number-plates in individual bits of footage, like news reports, is really a bit of over zealousness on behalf of bored corporate lawyers. I mean, you walk down the street every day and can read every number-plate on every vehicle and the world doesn't come to an end. Big databases like street view - now that's a completely different matter. This one off photo doesn't bother me, and there's people in government who would, I'm sure, describe me as a pain in the arse privacy activist.

Yes, but the time, place and number plate are visible. If the owner got into a divorce situation because of this information or fired because he was supposedly somewhere else, then they may come after the person who made the information public without permission.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76064 on: November 25, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »

The similarity is, I'm sure, not accidental. Thinking along those lines, if the Lady Cop has become enamoured with British TV, perhaps she'd like another staple of the British Psyche, the "Carry On" film. Not sure which to suggest as the 'gateway drug': Carry On Up The Khyber, Carry On Screaming or Carry On Camping.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"

Anything to get her off "East Enders". She's hooked on that one now and has to stay up to date.  :palm:

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76065 on: November 25, 2020, 01:48:30 pm »
Hmm, just posted a reply to the thread, but it has gone nuts? Strange... Now the upload fails security checks...

This cutie just arrived:

Warming up, waiting to be switched on later.

I had that problem a week or two ago, never found out the cause, but it was only one picture out of eight that failed "security checks", I deleted that picture and created a new edit from the original picture, which uploaded fine (exactly the same, just rotated once & size reduced).

Is that the 428B from the UK? If it was check the mains voltage setting before powering up, as I remember it was set to 110V in the auction pictures.

David

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76066 on: November 25, 2020, 02:04:14 pm »

I had that problem a week or two ago, never found out the cause, but it was only one picture out of eight that failed "security checks", I deleted that picture and created a new edit from the original picture, which uploaded fine (exactly the same, just rotated once & size reduced).

Is that the 428B from the UK? If it was check the mains voltage setting before powering up, as I remember it was set to 110V in the auction pictures.

Yes, thats the one. A friend collected it and packaged and sent it to me. Voltage selection is checked every time I acquirer sth. Switched to 230V and powered it up. Seems to work although not tested yet. Pots and knobs had to be moved to get out the scratchy behaviour. It is very clean inside, the cabinet has to be washed and cleaned to remove adhesive stains.

1117850-0

1117854-1

1117862-2

And look at the value of that TE:

1117858-3

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:08:18 pm by dl6lr »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #76067 on: November 25, 2020, 02:06:36 pm »
Does the name Far Manager tell you anything?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76068 on: November 25, 2020, 02:10:16 pm »
I haven't got any NOS HP transistors, only used spares.
The TVT book I have gives BC160, 2N2905 or 2SA537 as equivalent types for the 2N1132, I have some new of the first two. And BFY46, BFY68, BSY54 or BSY71 as equivalent types for the 2N1711, haven't got any of those.

Interesting that NTE can replace both the 2N1132 and 2N1711 with one type, which can't be right as one is NPN & the other PNP.

David

A lot of such FUBARs since NTE took over the ECG catalog; I'd guess transcription errors by wage-slave data-entry types with absolutely zero knowledge of transistor parameters vs the way ECG documented MCPs in the catalog.  :-//

mnem

Hold your horses and blaming "the man" again. Perhaps little old peon me made a mistake. Let me go check again. Geez....everything is a fucking conspiracy with you.  :palm:

Holy shit, can you believe it. It was ME who fucked up. So sorry to blow your conspiracy theory all to hell.  ::)

2N1132   PNP  NTE129
2N1711   NPN  NTE128

Both are available via Amazon USA.

How to sub transistors like a pro:

2N1132   -> fuck it BD139 BD140 will do

2N1711  -> fuck it BD139 will do.

8)

Fixed that for you.  ;D

Bugger it. Thought I had put bd140 down for first one. I looked at it and though 2n2905A first but then decided bd140 and wrote bd139. Apparently, I suck!  :palm:

Apparently I made a mistake too when I said I hadn't got any 2N1711, just went to look at the NOS spares for another TR and noticed I have some 2N1711 in one of the drawers, but failed to spot them in the spreadsheet.

Anyway still having more problems with the 5248M, this time the A26 5MHz to 10MHz multiplier & 1MHz divider board, not getting the 1MHz out. Think these may sort the problem out with the 1820-0082 IC, but not sure if that's enough to sub for the IC.  :-// :-DD

David
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:12:27 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76069 on: November 25, 2020, 02:19:39 pm »
That's annoying. Decided to look to see if it was possible and of course...

Any idea what its not HP name is?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76070 on: November 25, 2020, 02:26:22 pm »

Yes, thats the one. A friend collected it and packaged and sent it to me. Voltage selection is checked every time I acquirer sth. Switched to 230V and powered it up. Seems to work although not tested yet. Pots and knobs had to be moved to get out the scratchy behaviour. It is very clean inside, the cabinet has to be washed and cleaned to remove adhesive stains.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

And look at the value of that TE:

(Attachment Link)

Looks quite a late production one with the circuit board (instead of point to point wiring) & grey case, any dates codes on the components?
The $2000+ price tag  may hint to the date it was made & sold too.
Edit: the 428B was $2175 in the 1986 catalog, prices are missing from the 83 to 85 catalogs, disappears from 1987 catalog onwards.

David
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:39:02 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76071 on: November 25, 2020, 02:29:31 pm »

Sadly not, don't spend too much time searching as I couldn't find much either, possible it was used in the 1607A if that ex-mil manual on the web doesn't have a typo.

David

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76072 on: November 25, 2020, 02:30:32 pm »

McBryce.

Yes, but the time, place and number plate are visible. If the owner got into a divorce situation because of this information or fired because he was supposedly somewhere else, then they may come after the person who made the information public without permission.

McBryce.

No, no liability attaches. It is quite lawful to take a picture of anybody or anything, anywhere and at any time in Britain if you are taking it from public land or land you have lawful access to and publish it how you will. The one exception is if you see a notice saying "This is a restricted place within the meaning of the Official Secrets Act. etc. etc.". If it had a caption saying "This cheating bastard is on his way to his lover" you'd be on different grounds, but it doesn't, and anyway that would be defamation.

There are zillions of news photos of major events that clearly show time and place and document the presence of dozens, perhaps hundreds of identifiable individuals. Are you really trying to say that the law or liability avoidance requires every news photographer and picture editor to blur the faces of everybody except the public figures in case one of them is where they shouldn't be?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76073 on: November 25, 2020, 02:32:08 pm »

Sadly not, don't spend too much time searching as I couldn't find much either, possible it was used in the 1607A if that ex-mil manual on the web doesn't have a typo.

David

The dreaded unobtanium.  ::)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76074 on: November 25, 2020, 02:34:51 pm »
There's no such thing as unobtainium. It'll be some old logic family probably if it's a divider module which can be replaced with a modern family once you understand the electrical interface and function, which is usually reasonably well described or reasonably ok to reverse engineer.

This is a fine example: https://www.curiousmarc.com/instruments/hp-8082a-pulse-generator

edit: linking topics ... curious marc 428A here: https://www.curiousmarc.com/modern/nad-c356-amp-repair (near end)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:42:10 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf