Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14408621 times)

Black Phoenix and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76075 on: November 25, 2020, 02:45:35 pm »
Me, meeting a colleague from the UK at the coffee machine:

"Morning, how's life?"

"Could be worse."

:-DD

With Americans I use "Bearing up under the strain, it is a hard life", with a broad grin on my face.

Their faces usually indicate bafflement; it seems anything less than "I'm good" is unacceptable :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #76076 on: November 25, 2020, 02:48:31 pm »
You probably should have obscured his number plate to avoid hassle. Data protection act and all that.

McBryce.

Only really a concern for corporate entities making collections of data, not for individuals doing one off things. The corporate enthusiasm for obscuring faces and number-plates in individual bits of footage, like news reports, is really a bit of over zealousness on behalf of bored corporate lawyers. I mean, you walk down the street every day and can read every number-plate on every vehicle and the world doesn't come to an end. Big databases like street view - now that's a completely different matter. This one off photo doesn't bother me, and there's people in government who would, I'm sure, describe me as a pain in the arse privacy activist.

Yes, but the time, place and number plate are visible. If the owner got into a divorce situation because of this information or fired because he was supposedly somewhere else, then they may come after the person who made the information public without permission.

McBryce.

No, no liability attaches. It is quite lawful to take a picture of anybody or anything, anywhere and at any time in Britain if you are taking it from public land or land you have lawful access to and publish it how you will. The one exception is if you see a notice saying "This is a restricted place within the meaning of the Official Secrets Act. etc. etc.". If it had a caption saying "This cheating bastard is on his way to his lover" you'd be on different grounds, but it doesn't, and anyway that would be defamation.

There are zillions of news photos of major events that clearly show time and place and document the presence of dozens, perhaps hundreds of identifiable individuals. Are you really trying to say that the law or liability avoidance requires every news photographer and picture editor to blur the faces of everybody except the public figures in case one of them is where they shouldn't be?

Here ? Yes.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76077 on: November 25, 2020, 02:53:56 pm »
Looks quite a late production one with the circuit board (instead of point to point wiring) & grey case, any dates codes on the components?
The $2000+ price tag  may hint to the date it was made & sold too.

S/N 0995A16295

The case color may be specific to the Airforce, a matte olive finish. Haven't spotted a datecode yet. The manual dated 1970 covers the printed circuit board for S/N 995 and above.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76078 on: November 25, 2020, 02:58:27 pm »
Looks quite a late production one with the circuit board (instead of point to point wiring) & grey case, any dates codes on the components?
The $2000+ price tag  may hint to the date it was made & sold too.

S/N 0995A16295

The case color may be specific to the Airforce, a matte olive finish. Haven't spotted a datecode yet. The manual dated 1970 covers the printed circuit board for S/N 995 and above.

That 0995A prefix (actually 1969, but the 95???) just tells you the date of the last design change, this looks much later than 1970, I'm thinking mid 1980's.

David

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76079 on: November 25, 2020, 03:04:11 pm »
There's no such thing as unobtainium. It'll be some old logic family probably if it's a divider module which can be replaced with a modern family once you understand the electrical interface and function, which is usually reasonably well described or reasonably ok to reverse engineer.

This is a fine example: https://www.curiousmarc.com/instruments/hp-8082a-pulse-generator

edit: linking topics ... curious marc 428A here: https://www.curiousmarc.com/modern/nad-c356-amp-repair (near end)

I've asked an ePay seller with what looks like a later board (different board number), hopefully they will be able to help with the part number of the plastic later IC.
Unusually the 5248L/M manual sucks as it doesn't have the nice diagrams showing all the IC's used, also not impressed by the lack of test data on the circuit diagrams, looking at the older 5245L manual at least confirms what the 1MHz output signal from this section should be.

David

The following users thanked this post: jonpaul

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76080 on: November 25, 2020, 03:10:19 pm »
Another incorrect model number in an ePay listing, cheap at the moment for anyone nearby (collection only from Essex area), seller has other TE that maybe of interest.
eBay auction: #254789236738

David

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76081 on: November 25, 2020, 03:17:24 pm »
That 0995A prefix (actually 1969, but the 95???) just tells you the date of the last design change, this looks much later than 1970, I'm thinking mid 1980's.

Yes, I have no clue yet. -hp- started at that time with the pcb version of the 428B. I suppose they did not produce the hand wired devices any more from then on.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76082 on: November 25, 2020, 03:27:14 pm »

No that is a standard case colour for later -hp- TE, have a look at the last three pictures from this link on the -hp- 200 series, the last picture has a very late production 200CD dating from between the late 1970's to sometime in 1980's.
https://www.kennethkuhn.com/hpmuseum/dating/vintage_dating.htm

Here is quote from the UK vintage radio forum with the alternate name (D.S. green) for the later -hp- corporate colour scheme for the cases.  :-DD
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1028844&postcount=3

David
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:45:28 pm by factory »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76083 on: November 25, 2020, 03:56:35 pm »

"Morning, how's life?"

"Could be worse."

With Americans I use "Bearing up under the strain, it is a hard life", with a broad grin on my face.

Their faces usually indicate bafflement; it seems anything less than "I'm good" is unacceptable :)

"I'm good" is plenty enough for me. "Shitty" works too but since I'm not really interested I won't ask why.

Best of all is don't talk to me. I don't care.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #76084 on: November 25, 2020, 04:44:08 pm »
got a new phone today and was busy transferring the config from my old one when the Pixel XL battery decided it had had it and called it seppuku time. Tried to configure the new phone (pixel 2 xl) when vodafone decided to kill my fritzbox (ppoe timeout, power cycle did not revive it. Reset to factory defaults did ...
cost me 2 hours of my life.
Not happy.

You seem to be almost permanently "Not Happy" these days, life sucks sometimes, but overall it balances things out, think positive thoughts, thats my motto.

Having a pint with some friends helps too!  :D

Not during lockdown ...

to paraphrase ...
Yes. Yes. Saskia is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs.
Very sad life, probably have ... very sad death.
But... at least there is Symmetry.

Welcome to Zathras Club! ;)

mnem
No...no... not The One...

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76085 on: November 25, 2020, 04:46:21 pm »
[...]

We need a T-shirt printed -  "Extroverts are overrated!"

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76086 on: November 25, 2020, 04:48:53 pm »
Said T-Shirt to be worn inside out.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76087 on: November 25, 2020, 04:53:44 pm »
ah don't worry...   I could play "the kids are alright", but life just sucks sometimes. The important thing is that you stand up after falling down. The rest does not matter.

"Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease" Lots of truth in that.

"Life is hard. Fortunately, it is also short." ~коза́кy proverb.

mnem
"It's not that getting older is such a blast... but it still beats the alternative." (not getting any older) ~mom
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:20:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76088 on: November 25, 2020, 04:59:21 pm »
If it said "teabaggers" it would have a whole different meaning.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The similarity is, I'm sure, not accidental. Thinking along those lines, if the Lady Cop has become enamoured with British TV, perhaps she'd like another staple of the British Psyche, the "Carry On" film. Not sure which to suggest as the 'gateway drug': Carry On Up The Khyber, Carry On Screaming or Carry On Camping.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"

Anything to get her off "East Enders". She's hooked on that one now and has to stay up to date.  :palm:

Could be worse... just Google "Dark Shadows". The '60s goth soap opera, not the 2012 Johnny Depp parody thereof.  :P

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76089 on: November 25, 2020, 05:09:34 pm »

"Morning, how's life?"

"Could be worse."

"Morning, how's life?"

"My back aches, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus."

*responds with a look like a tree full of owls*

"Oh, what... you didn't want a honest answer...?"  >:D

Or...

"Good morning..."

"Howinnahell would you know what kind of morning it is...?"
>:(

mnem
*certifiable Superannuated Old Dragon*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:19:17 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76090 on: November 25, 2020, 05:15:32 pm »
[...]

We need a T-shirt printed -  "Extroverts are overrated!"

mnem

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:17:16 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, Saskia, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #76091 on: November 25, 2020, 05:23:20 pm »
Another incorrect model number in an ePay listing, cheap at the moment for anyone nearby (collection only from Essex area), seller has other TE that maybe of interest.

David

Bah, and I'd rather like those resistance decades. Why is it so hard to post the things?   :rant:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76092 on: November 25, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »

David

Bah, and I'd rather like those resistance decades. Why is it so hard to post the things?   :rant:

Well, the one I've just flogged was a little larger than I expected...

McBryce rubbed salt in the wound with "Surely the 4mm Binding Posts should have given you an idea. That's how I judge the size of unknown equipment."
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76093 on: November 25, 2020, 05:40:17 pm »
I remember that. Was quite funny

Offline BugKiller

« Reply #76094 on: November 25, 2020, 05:46:01 pm »
You probably should have obscured his number plate to avoid hassle. Data protection act and all that.

McBryce.

Only really a concern for corporate entities making collections of data, not for individuals doing one off things. The corporate enthusiasm for obscuring faces and number-plates in individual bits of footage, like news reports, is really a bit of over zealousness on behalf of bored corporate lawyers. I mean, you walk down the street every day and can read every number-plate on every vehicle and the world doesn't come to an end. Big databases like street view - now that's a completely different matter. This one off photo doesn't bother me, and there's people in government who would, I'm sure, describe me as a pain in the arse privacy activist.

Yes, but the time, place and number plate are visible. If the owner got into a divorce situation because of this information or fired because he was supposedly somewhere else, then they may come after the person who made the information public without permission.

McBryce.

No, no liability attaches. It is quite lawful to take a picture of anybody or anything, anywhere and at any time in Britain if you are taking it from public land or land you have lawful access to and publish it how you will. The one exception is if you see a notice saying "This is a restricted place within the meaning of the Official Secrets Act. etc. etc.". If it had a caption saying "This cheating bastard is on his way to his lover" you'd be on different grounds, but it doesn't, and anyway that would be defamation.

There are zillions of news photos of major events that clearly show time and place and document the presence of dozens, perhaps hundreds of identifiable individuals. Are you really trying to say that the law or liability avoidance requires every news photographer and picture editor to blur the faces of everybody except the public figures in case one of them is where they shouldn't be?

Here ? Yes.

In law school we were taught that truth is an absolute defense to defamation, just be sure it is the truth. Not so much the case anymore in a few places, if publication was malicious.

Of course, listening to Bob Dylan we also learned the New Jersey rule: "Everything is legal as long as you don't get caught."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:50:21 pm by BugKiller »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76095 on: November 25, 2020, 06:31:43 pm »
Or the Washington, DC Rule: "Everything is legal; we'll just change the laws to suit the highest bidder. How much have you got...?"

mnem

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #76096 on: November 25, 2020, 06:40:34 pm »

David

Well, the one I've just flogged was a little larger than I expected...

McBryce rubbed salt in the wound with "Surely the 4mm Binding Posts should have given you an idea. That's how I judge the size of unknown equipment."

Well, all of this seller's stuff is collection only.

Obviously RM is impractical, but afaik the likes of Hermes are pretty cheap, and will collect from your door.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #76097 on: November 25, 2020, 06:44:10 pm »

I don't know what the electrical regs are in Sweden, but if they permit, it may be worth investigating changing to an RCBO setup, where your main isolation switch is just that, and each circuit is protected by an individual MCB and RCD combined into one device (RCBO).

Assuming your house wiring isn't in MICC (   ::)  ) it should greatly reduce the chance of nuisance and accidental tripping...

I've tried both, and come to the conclusion that there exists a real risk of nuisance tripping when you have too small protected areas (as in single circuits) earth-fault-wise, especially if you're using grounded signal equipment like scopes and VTVMs. Or reasonably large sound systems.  Therefore the entire panel is protected by a three-phase 40A RCCB. Main fuses are 20A so rating is no problem.

No MICC in sight; I don't think it's even permitted in Sweden. All wiring from this panel (which is a new sub-panel for the garage and workshop) is what's known as EKK (or EU type A05VV-U) in Sweden, or NYM-J in Germany. Approximate UK equivalent would be twin core and earth, but cross section is circular and the PE conductor carries insulation all along, and also is same area as the phase and neutral. It's sortakinda like US Romex, but all conductors are single-strand.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #76098 on: November 25, 2020, 06:50:17 pm »

Yes, thats the one. A friend collected it and packaged and sent it to me. Voltage selection is checked every time I acquirer sth. Switched to 230V and powered it up. Seems to work although not tested yet. Pots and knobs had to be moved to get out the scratchy behaviour. It is very clean inside, the cabinet has to be washed and cleaned to remove adhesive stains.

It looks very much like mine, so am guessing 70s build, based on it being PCB and not hard wired.

Congratulations! Again!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76099 on: November 25, 2020, 07:31:02 pm »
Awww jeez... I forgot to finish the jug of iced-tea last night. It's been steeping for like 18 hours...   :palm:

mnem
*has a sip*
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*
:o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf