Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549425 times)

TERRA Operative, SashPlane, Gertjan, Wolfgang, MVSantos and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76525 on: December 02, 2020, 05:30:40 pm »
Mnem, we are completely surrounded by Brits on the rag today. All we can do is grin and bear it.  :P :-DD

you got that right.

an update just killed windows live mail on swmbos computer.

apparently microsoft dropped support for that application in 2016.

she is a brit, so i tried an approach learned from an old britcom i have been watching.

said.... "oh dear, so sad, never mind".

do you think the UK will take her back? 

Yes, after she kills you.  :o :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76526 on: December 02, 2020, 05:38:39 pm »
I just got a message from the guy in Portugal who bought the Marconi 2022E from me on eBay (The one I stole saved BD139 from BD139). Apparently it work for 3 day's and then broke  :palm:
Sounds like a OM345 gone. I gave him some advce, no not put it back on eBay, on repair.

Hahaha I'm kind of glad I skipped that now  :-DD

Mnem, we are completely surrounded by Brits on the rag today. All we can do is grin and bear it.  :P :-DD

Hey it's our hobby whining and moaning :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76527 on: December 02, 2020, 05:40:56 pm »
fair enough.

she is pretty good with an S&W 686.  (the one the gun smith honed the trigger and put the light spring in). 

it will be a clean hit.   can't ask for more than that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:51:07 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76528 on: December 02, 2020, 05:48:18 pm »
Yes... this the evolution of a living language. Just as momentarily used to mean for a moment; it is now in the process of evolving to mean in a moment. And countless other similar examples. :-//

mnem
Adapt or die.

It means neither, it's an adverb meaning "related to a moment" so it modifies the verb it is with. The verb tells you what tense you're in and whether something has happened momentarily, is happening momentarily, or is going to happen momentarily, or momentarily will be going to happen.

The "I shall be with you momentarily" pattern is just mis-usage for "Momentarily I shall be with you" or better still "Momentarily I am going to be with you". The word order matters - there is a difference in meaning between the two. The loss of subtlety from, and intelligence in the speakers of, the English language means that all this is becoming lost. There was a time where once one would have expected an educated person to appreciate and comprehend the difference between the two constructions. I blame all the people who talk like Yoda.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76529 on: December 02, 2020, 05:54:04 pm »

No, that's the other hobby. This is mocking the afflicted making fun of foreigners.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #76530 on: December 02, 2020, 05:59:58 pm »
I just got a message from the guy in Portugal who bought the Marconi 2022E from me on eBay (The one I stole saved BD139 from BD139). Apparently it work for 3 day's and then broke  :palm:
Sounds like a OM345 gone. I gave him some advce, no not put it back on eBay, on repair.

This could be an easy fix... usualy its the resitor inside the module.
even no need to take it out...

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:05:14 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #76531 on: December 02, 2020, 06:04:05 pm »
We all have seen one of them somewhere i am sure...
These have been super popular 80' and some are still in use.

@Saskia how is yours doing? ever have had time to play with it ?
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, syau

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76532 on: December 02, 2020, 06:44:40 pm »

For you or me mybe, first he has to identfy which one has gone. The external 4k7 is ok for those OM345s in the frequency generaton area but in the level critical bits you are beter off removing the coating over th capactor and soldering a 3k9 SMD across it.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #76533 on: December 02, 2020, 07:43:25 pm »
 8) 8)

Cool my channel showes up in a promo of LBRY / Odysee ...  at  1:17
https://odysee.com/@lbry:3f/odysee:7

:))

The following users thanked this post: bd139, FransW

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76534 on: December 02, 2020, 07:57:04 pm »

This is how bad it was after cleaning, I think if I had a go at trying to paint that it would end up an absolute dog's dinner. It would also be very difficult trying to find out where they need to connect under the photo-resistive material.

I think the seal has helped trap if any moisture that got underneath, picture below is of one the 5245L 5243L boards.

I opened up one of the six identical boards from the 5248M, which seems to have no corrosion.  :-//
The decoder plate is the same as used in the faulty board, I've moved it to the high speed board. Sphere have some of the lower speed boards of this type and I've ordered some.

For completeness here is one of the display decoder plates from the standard 5243L, note the difference in layout of the traces & photo-resistor material.

David

I believe the picture you describe as being from the 5243 is actually a cropped version of the 5245 board picture.

Post-editing mixup?

Your right there is a error, that SRBP PCB & the cropped decoder plate belongs to the HP 5243L (A18), they do however share the same decoder plate (1990-0009) & PCB layout (REV A 5243A-65A) and looking at the manuals the differences are the 5245L (A18) board uses silicon transistors with a change of some resistor values because of this, the 5243L (A18) uses germanium.

First time I've seen something other than a blank space & N.S.R. for the photoconductor.

A18 from HP 5243L top, 5245L bottom,

David
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:08:23 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76535 on: December 02, 2020, 08:08:32 pm »

Well I was right about how easy it would be for the new owner, he just sent this through ebay messages
"I’m trying to locate this OM345 using the manual. Do you know on which board it is?"  |O |O
For those who don't know there are lots of OM345s in the 2022
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:38:36 pm by Robert763 »

Offline opabob

• Contributor
« Reply #76536 on: December 02, 2020, 08:16:00 pm »
OK, first I DO NOT HAVE TEAS!  I can quit anytime I want to!  I just need to get a few more pieces...

Besides, compared to some people here, I'm almost a virgin.

Scope, meter, RF mV meter, VTVM, frequency counter, 2 sig gens, RF power meter, and spectrum analyzer.

And as I near retirement, I'm thinking about maybe getting into refurbing vintage audio equipment, so I might need more gear.

Why did the Diode kiss the Capacitor.
He just couldn't Resistor

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #76537 on: December 02, 2020, 08:19:22 pm »
OK, first I DO NOT HAVE TEAS!  I can quit anytime I want to!  I just need to get a few more pieces...

Scope, meter, RF mV meter, VTVM, frequency counter, 2 sig gens, RF power meter, and spectrum analyzer.

And as I near retirement, I'm thinking about maybe getting into refurbing vintage audio equipment, so I might need more gear.

Welcome to this little hellhole.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #76538 on: December 02, 2020, 08:31:13 pm »

Welcome to this little hellhole.  :)

Welcome opabob.. yes thats how it starts  :-DD :-DD

Offline opabob

• Contributor
« Reply #76539 on: December 02, 2020, 10:04:26 pm »
Thanks guys.

I found this site and signed up because I had a question about my newly acquired Tek 2712, but ended up answering my own question, I think.

I don't do FB or anything but there is this sportsman's website I do get on.  This looks fun AND informative.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #76540 on: December 02, 2020, 10:19:36 pm »
We all have seen one of them somewhere i am sure...
These have been super popular 80' and some are still in use.

@Saskia how is yours doing? ever have had time to play with it ?

Still have them and they still work, but the are rarely used nowadays.  But somehow they are indistructible and super easy to repair.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76541 on: December 02, 2020, 10:45:33 pm »
Thanks guys.

I found this site and signed up because I had a question about my newly acquired Tek 2712, but ended up answering my own question, I think.

I don't do FB or anything but there is this sportsman's website I do get on.  This looks fun AND informative.

Welcome (to the rathole).

Other ratholes are several groups that used to be on yahoo! but are now on groups.io. Prominent ones include "TekScopes" and "HP Agilent Keysight equipment".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76542 on: December 02, 2020, 10:50:53 pm »

Hahaha I'm kind of glad I skipped that now  :-DD

Yep! Ask any Aussie to tell you the joke about Pommy migrants on an airliner! ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76543 on: December 02, 2020, 11:32:23 pm »

Scope, meter, RF mV s,, VTVM, frequency counter, 2 sig gens, RF power meter, and spectrum analyzer.

I too once had a modest collection of TE. But then I found this site and specifically this thread which fed my addiction and to which I have no regrets. And after I retired nearly 2 years ago it's totally out of control.  ;D So hang around, don't be afraid to ask questions, and hopefully the same thing happens to you.  :-+ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, FransW, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #76544 on: December 02, 2020, 11:43:57 pm »

Your virginity is well and truly gone now.

Before I joined the EEVblog, I had one oscilloscope - now I have seven.  I had a couple of el cheapo irons and one cheap soldering station - now I have 3 soldering stations (one with hot air) and a desoldering station.  I had no HP test gear - now I have 8 pieces - most of which work.  Meters....? - I'm not sure how many I have now, but I have a BM235 and a HP 3478A that wouldn't have even been on my radar outside of this place.  Power supplies ... (I'll get back to you).

... and I'm one of the lesser bower birds here!

The following users thanked this post: jxjbsd

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76545 on: December 02, 2020, 11:48:15 pm »
Ok, I'm about to indulge in the British hobby of whinging....
Amazon are not making me happy at the moment, maybe I might get some better news soon. After my Son's car get damaged outside his front door, he has invested in a doorbell camera that also senses movement (adjustable for the sensitivity to avoid false alarms etc) and this records video footage of anyone lurking in the vicinity of his front door / car. So I thought about getting one as well, so I ordered one from Amazon and it arrived today, and so I have not yet got round to installing it.

Tonight I was looking at it on the Amazon website, only to discover it is now some 30% lower price than I paid 3 days ago  :wtf: I'm not happy.

I have sent the seller a message informing them that if they can't refund me the £20, I'll return the one I got today and reorder at the current price  :rant:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #76546 on: December 02, 2020, 11:48:37 pm »
Perhaps we now "tow toe the line" .....
A picture is worth a thousand three words

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #76547 on: December 02, 2020, 11:49:52 pm »
Yeah ... we inherited a bit of that.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76548 on: December 02, 2020, 11:51:53 pm »
Amazon are not making me happy at the moment, maybe I might get some better news soon. After my Son's car get damaged outside his front door, he has invested in a doorbell camera that also senses movement (adjustable for the sensitivity to avoid false alarms etc) and this records video footage of anyone lurking in the vicinity of his front door / car. So I thought about getting one as well, so I ordered one from Amazon and it arrived today, and so I have not yet got round to installing it.

Tonight I was looking at it on the Amazon website, only to discover it is now some 30% lower price than I paid 3 days ago  :wtf: I'm not happy.

I have sent the seller a message informing them that if they can't refund me the £20, I'll return the one I got today and reorder at the current price  :rant:

Would you like some cheese to go along with that whining?  :P :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76549 on: December 02, 2020, 11:54:10 pm »
Have you got some Stilton then  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf