Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821751 times)

McBryce and 223 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76600 on: December 03, 2020, 03:25:33 pm »
And to open up another can of worms. Yesterday I was watching Carlson's latest video. He happened to mention that he only deals in "uF" and "pF", not in "nF". I don't know what prompted him to make that point but I happen to agree with him. But don't yell at me. He's Canadian.  :-DD

On Digi-key you can get uF and pF but not nF caps. It has 10000pF and then the next value is 0.011µF, not 10 or 11 nF

Mouser for the most part is the same.

Reichelt still knows what nF means: https://www.reichelt.de/vielschicht-kerko-10nf-50v-125-c-kem-x7r0603-10n-p206995.html

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #76601 on: December 03, 2020, 03:26:10 pm »
And to open up another can of worms. Yesterday I was watching Carlson's latest video. He happened to mention that he only deals in "uF" and "pF", not in "nF". I don't know what prompted him to make that point but I happen to agree with him. But don't yell at me. He's Canadian.  :-DD

On Digi-key you can get uF and pF but not nF caps. It has 10000pF and then the next value is 0.011µF, not 10 or 11 nF

I also move we also move back to calling “GHz” the “kmc”, or “kilo-megacycle” as the 519 manual does.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76602 on: December 03, 2020, 03:30:20 pm »

I also move we also move back to calling “GHz” the “kmc”, or “kilo-megacycle” as the 519 manual does.  :-DD

Hell, let's go full retro. "CPS".    Cycles per second.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, 0culus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #76603 on: December 03, 2020, 03:40:44 pm »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76604 on: December 03, 2020, 03:46:42 pm »
Well... they can 'ardly 'elp it; you know they're all on the same cycle...  >:D

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76605 on: December 03, 2020, 03:51:46 pm »
I learned that Megacycles are big British bikes and microfarads are small German bikes  :-//
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, capt bullshot, Mr. Scram, mansaxel, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #76606 on: December 03, 2020, 04:26:01 pm »
 :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #76607 on: December 03, 2020, 04:26:28 pm »
My best cheese-related holidays were years ago in Grisons, where in Thalkirch (Versam valley) I bought Emmentaler that had ripened years in a cave in the mountain, made from milk produced atop that same mountain. Another occasion was a trip to the Netherlands to Utrecht and Gouda where I bought some very old Gouda ("Brokkelkaas" quality), after recording Boudewijn Zwart at Sint Jans, playing Bach on the historic Hemony carillon (*). Other than that, visiting Mums relatives around Antwerp always is an opportunity to scan the local markets for special cheese - the saturday morning outdoor market in Lier being especially mouthwatering. Combining the cheese with some beer like "Kasteel donker" or "Delirium Tremens" and fresh bread is a very nice experience...

Greetings,

Rainer

(*) If you dont know what i am talking about:

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76608 on: December 03, 2020, 04:32:24 pm »
And to open up another can of worms. Yesterday I was watching Carlson's latest video. He happen to mention that he only deals in "uF" and "pF", not in "nF". I don't know what prompted him to make that point but I happen to agree with him. But don't yell at me. He's Canadian.  :-DD

I saw that last night and was wondering the same thing.  I didn't see or hear anything in the video that provided any context for what prompted that.  The other thing that stuck out was the absolutely mind Agilent U1252A multimeter that I don't think I've seen in any of his other videos.  I wonder if he bought an NOS/refurb one as well.

Hell, let's go full retro. "CPS".    Cycles per second.  :-DD

I fully endorse this plan.

Offline opabob

• Contributor
« Reply #76609 on: December 03, 2020, 04:38:19 pm »
I learned that Megacycles are big British bikes and microfarads are small German bikes  :-//
Didn't Micro Farad take Milli Amp for a ride on his MegaCycle over across the Wheatstone Bridge? ?
Why did the Diode kiss the Capacitor.
He just couldn't Resistor

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76610 on: December 03, 2020, 04:41:04 pm »

Gouda, Edam, Beemster, Leerdammer .. if you don't know these, you know nothing about cheese

nr. 6 in the world leader list:
https://www.farandwide.com/s/countries-produce-best-cheese-world-2dd14ff1cf3144c8

A list that has the USA at No. 1. So that's the Nederlands at No. 6 in export volume - that says nothing about the quality, attested to by the US of A being No. 1 with hot melt woodworking glue being exported as "cheese".

As it is, you bastards keep the good stuff for yourselves and export the rubbish. A good mature Gouda will stand up to any other hard cheese in the world for quality, flavour etc. etc. The stuff you export over here  as "Gouda" to be sold in British supermarkets is suitable only as a substitute for rather low quality rubber; if I used some in a mousetrap I'd get prosecuted under the animal cruelty regulations.  :)

Oh yeah, and Leerdammer® in the same list as Edam and Gouda? Leerdammer® was invented in 1977 and is pure factory cheese, made exclusively by Groupe Bel. It's not cheese, it's a marketing tactic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76611 on: December 03, 2020, 04:45:44 pm »
Didn't Micro Farad take Milli Amp for a ride on his MegaCycle over across the Wheatstone Bridge? ?

:-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #76612 on: December 03, 2020, 04:55:21 pm »
Tonyyyyy

Zucca i am trying to save many for a Sigland SA  :palm: ....
wich again failed this month  :-DD :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76613 on: December 03, 2020, 04:58:03 pm »

Maybe there's hope for me, but I doubt it.  I really just cannot abide most "non-cow" cheeses or "ripe" cheeses; with few exceptions, they make me *blerk!* involuntarily. :-//

I presume the "most" is because you realise that that Romano you mentioned earlier is, in full, Pecorino Romano, and a straight translation of that would be "[pertaining to] Roman Sheep" - 'pecorino' being a direct equivalent to the rarely used 'ovine'? Best eaten with a nice ripe pear, or in the English style with a slice of fruit cake.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76614 on: December 03, 2020, 05:07:16 pm »
   ON THE BENCH TODAY: 20 DOLLAH E-SCOOTER!   Picked this up at the Thrift last week; object is to turn this pile of junk into a working scooter...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF ANGRY PIXIES IN THE MORNING!

After doing a little prelim testing, I discovered that this speed controller is A) rated for a pretty hefty 35A and B) has motor braking, which remote locating the FET would disable.  That, combined with the fact that 1) I'm already considering modding this 300W powertrain onto a bicycle and 2) the necessary 12/4 power cord could be had for a trifling $7, I decided to build it the quick & cheap way, even if all I got out of it was some real-world load testing.

Yeah, it's totally Doc Brown lookin'. But it works, and the combination of two 35C 4S/6AH LiPos and that 300W motor produces some pretty spunky torque; enough to peel tire on the living room floor.  :o

So next will be some empirical testing; getting it all set up with a power analyzer so I can see how much current it draws and how many mAH for a typical trip around the block. If it makes it around the block carrying my fat ass around without letting the magic smoke out.  :-DD

Now all I need to do is wait for a few days nice weather and cleared-up local roads.  :-+

mnem

"In my defense; I WAS left unsupervised."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:21:01 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76615 on: December 03, 2020, 05:20:25 pm »

Maybe there's hope for me, but I doubt it.  I really just cannot abide most "non-cow" cheeses or "ripe" cheeses; with few exceptions, they make me *blerk!* involuntarily. :-//

I presume the "most" is because you realise that that Romano you mentioned earlier is, in full, Pecorino Romano, and a straight translation of that would be "[pertaining to] Roman Sheep" - 'pecorino' being a direct equivalent to the rarely used 'ovine'? Best eaten with a nice ripe pear, or in the English style with a slice of fruit cake.

Yeah, I knew that. As are most of the cheeses in any decent lasagna; which, as y'all know, is the world's most nearly perfect food.   ;)

mnem
Garfield ate my lasagna, but I ate it anyways.  >:D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:28:41 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76616 on: December 03, 2020, 05:27:28 pm »
Tonyyyyy

Zucca i am trying to save many for a Sigland SA  :palm: ....   wich again failed this month  :-DD :-DD

Hmmm... I found his open-source prescaler project pretty interesting; bare PCB only 10€: https://www.circuitvalley.com/2018/08/agilent-53132a-53131a-diy-open-source-3ghz-channel-option-030-board-hp.html

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:31:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
N connector protector
« Reply #76617 on: December 03, 2020, 05:29:54 pm »
Bought little buggers that matter, bunch of N connector protectors.  :P

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76618 on: December 03, 2020, 05:39:45 pm »

mnem
 :-+

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, tonyalbus

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #76619 on: December 03, 2020, 05:46:28 pm »
Yeah, always worry, especially smaller N connector stuffs like attenuators, that usually tucked/stacked in cramped space among other metallic objects like various plug type converters and etc, and rubbing/scratching/bumping metal to metal with others will ruin the delicate and fine N threads.  :-\

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #76620 on: December 03, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »
Rules of thumb for cheese:
  • hard cheese: English
  • soft cheese: French, or a decent ripe Gorgonzola or Stilton
  • a few other speciality cheeses when bored or seeking adventure
  • avoid others, except for sustenance purposes

You can still get less good cheeses in the above, of course. Too many supermarket hard cheeses are rubbery rather than crumbly, and after you've had a decent truckle cheddar you'll only put them in a mousetrap (but peanut butter is more effective there!)

or some fine Dutch cheese :)

If you think it's Gouda 'nuff...   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:01:30 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76621 on: December 03, 2020, 06:10:38 pm »
I'm all outta soggy ol' boots. Can someone from t'other side of the pond handle this one... pleeeeze....?

mnem

:P

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76622 on: December 03, 2020, 06:24:07 pm »
This might just about be worth £200 to buy.

I think you'd have to find a parallel universe to make it worth £200 a month to rent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-54645D-2-Channel-100Mhz-Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscope/164553009610
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76623 on: December 03, 2020, 06:25:27 pm »
I'm all outta soggy ol' boots. Can someone from t'other side of the pond handle this one... pleeeeze....?

mnem

:P

How did you run out? Making soggy ol' boots is the main industrial output of Canadia isn't it?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #76624 on: December 03, 2020, 07:09:59 pm »
OK, first I DO NOT HAVE TEAS!  I can quit anytime I want to!  I just need to get a few more pieces...

Besides, compared to some people here, I'm almost a virgin.

Your virginity is well and truly gone now.

Before I joined the EEVblog, I had one oscilloscope - now I have seven.  I had a couple of el cheapo irons and one cheap soldering station - now I have 3 soldering stations (one with hot air) and a desoldering station.  I had no HP test gear - now I have 8 pieces - most of which work.  Meters....? - I'm not sure how many I have now, but I have a BM235 and a HP 3478A that wouldn't have even been on my radar outside of this place.  Power supplies ... (I'll get back to you).

... and I'm one of the lesser bower birds here!

Pfffffttt!
I first came in here looking to find a home for two sad and neglected (by me) Space Age Tek scopes. I DID find homes for them... but not before tripling my meter count and acquiring 3 more soldering stations and a dozen more PSUs... even moving to the cold as 'ell of Canada hasn't made me mend my wicked, wicked ways... :o

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Whatever!   >:D  mnem has only used the Great White North to acquire additional gear to get frustrated trying to repair play with in his dragon-style.  In addition to his dozen PSUs, he has been foisting PSUs on the rest of us as well.

Welcome opabob!  You already have more gear that I do.  Look out!  If I can find some good deals, I will try to surpass you  :popcorn:  Enjoy!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf