Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14896928 times)

EggertEnjoyer123, SingleBitError, DC1MC and 174 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76650 on: December 03, 2020, 11:02:33 pm »
True, it is not all that fast.  Think of the physics a little bit.  The transmission is true direct drive.  That penny-farthing is even a step more hardcore in the cycling world than even a fixxie (fixed gear).  What happens if you attempt hard braking while travelling at top speed?  :scared: :scared: :scared: :popcorn:

You get to choose from a shortlist of new faces at the reconstructive plastic surgeon's.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #76651 on: December 03, 2020, 11:18:45 pm »

mnem
*still shameless*
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:27:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76652 on: December 04, 2020, 02:37:16 am »
Is that the Queen and Duke doing a pub crawl?  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #76653 on: December 04, 2020, 03:02:47 am »
Tonight I ran through most of the 519 adjustment procedure. I had noted two problems, namely that there were some odd trace artifacts on 2 ns/cm, specifically the trace was "curling up" on itself on the right side of the sweep. Additionally, the time base adjustment was not even close.

The trace artifacts were solved by adjusting V331, the 4CX250F that is used as the Miller runup tube in the 519 design. I found that not only was the control grid voltage off (this was my doing when I was trying to resolve this problem last month), the plate voltage was set 15V high. After re-adjusting for 155V on the plate and -3.2V on the grid, the curling trace problem disappeared.

I ran through the time base adjustments using my Type 184 as well as my 8664A synthesized signal generator (for adjusting the fastest time base settings). This brought everything into spec more or less.

Next problem to figure out is that it appears there is a dc short between the center conductor and the outer conductor of the rate generator output. The rate generator works fine, of course, but this makes it damned hard to inject a dc bias for say, testing diode reverse recovery times (which is one of the suggested applications!)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76654 on: December 04, 2020, 03:26:14 am »

Well hell.  :o   I have AA cells which can't muster that.  :P

iR measures a nice low 15 mΩ (!!!) same as my 850mAH Eneloop AAAs, and these delivered that capacity at a 500mA load.  :-+

These are the cheap ones off Amazon (Qty 8/US$11 PRIME), plus they're LSD: https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Rechargeable-Batteries-ProCyco-Technology/dp/B00HIW3Q0Y/

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76655 on: December 04, 2020, 03:35:20 am »
Umm... oklay... If I eat this, am I still allowed to like Monterey Jack...?

One of my favorite fall treats was always a little Jack and some toasted everything bagels or crusty baguette with too much butter... a byproduct of growing up on local product Merlots and Sauvignon blends.

mnem
Too many free wine tours... *hic*
The 2 year is my favorite on a sesame seed bagel.  I recommend you try it.
We Canadians are pretty open-minded; you are still allowed to like Monterey Jack, but will you once you have tried this?  >:D

Ehhh...  even though there is such a thing as lasagna I still enjoy pizza (crispy thin crust please, but fuck anchovies to hell with a steamroller for all eternity) and spaghetti with-a meat-a ball-a, so I'm pretty sure I won't stop loving that flavor combination, even if only for the memories of my youth. ;)

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a anchovy mallet*
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:38:01 am by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76656 on: December 04, 2020, 04:07:01 am »
Tonight I ran through most of the 519 adjustment procedure. I had noted two problems, namely that there were some odd trace artifacts on 2 ns/cm, specifically the trace was "curling up" on itself on the right side of the sweep. Additionally, the time base adjustment was not even close.

The trace artifacts were solved by adjusting V331, the 4CX250F that is used as the Miller runup tube in the 519 design. I found that not only was the control grid voltage off (this was my doing when I was trying to resolve this problem last month), the plate voltage was set 15V high. After re-adjusting for 155V on the plate and -3.2V on the grid, the curling trace problem disappeared.

I ran through the time base adjustments using my Type 184 as well as my 8664A synthesized signal generator (for adjusting the fastest time base settings). This brought everything into spec more or less.

Next problem to figure out is that it appears there is a dc short between the center conductor and the outer conductor of the rate generator output. The rate generator works fine, of course, but this makes it damned hard to inject a dc bias for say, testing diode reverse recovery times (which is one of the suggested applications!)

Good deal. I wouldn't think that a plate voltage 15V high would have much effect but a maladjusted grid certainly will. Sounds like the tube was being overdriven into distortion.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76657 on: December 04, 2020, 04:11:14 am »

Good deal. I wouldn't think that a plate voltage 15V high would have much effect but a maladjusted grid certainly will. Sounds like the tube was being overdriven into distortion.

I wouldn't have either, but the grid adjustment did not help until I lowered the plate voltage, at which point the problem went away.  :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76658 on: December 04, 2020, 04:15:29 am »
That is surprising but then again transmitter type tubes tend to be real fussy with their voltage parameters.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76659 on: December 04, 2020, 04:21:01 am »

Ehhh...  even though there is such a thing as lasagna I still enjoy pizza (crispy thin crust please, but fuck anchovies to hell with a steamroller for all eternity) and spaghetti with-a meat-a ball-a, so I'm pretty sure I won't stop loving that flavor combination, even if only for the memories of my youth. ;)

mnem

<------------Loves anchovy pizza.  ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76660 on: December 04, 2020, 04:22:44 am »
That is surprising but then again transmitter type tubes tend to be real fussy with their voltage parameters.

Definitely. The manual does say that it needs to be set to exactly 155V on the plate and -3.2V on the grid.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76661 on: December 04, 2020, 04:42:21 am »

mnem

<------------Loves anchovy pizza.  ;D

You can have all of mine, for the rest of this lifetime and the next.  :-DD

mnem
Take anchovies for example... Take them far, far away... I'm begging you, please!!!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76662 on: December 04, 2020, 04:45:14 am »

Definitely. The manual does say that it needs to be set to exactly 155V on the plate and -3.2V on the grid.

FLUKE sez BAMM!!!  And shockingly, now it works. ;)

mnem
 :=\
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:47:19 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76663 on: December 04, 2020, 05:05:19 am »

FLUKE sez BAMM!!!  And shockingly, now it works. ;)

mnem
 :=\

I did my best to avoid the "shockingly" part.  :-DD After that one time I accidentally grounded 125 V dc through my finger working on the Type 184, I decided once was enough and I need to be more careful.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #76664 on: December 04, 2020, 07:45:27 am »
I also move we also move back to calling “GHz” the “kmc”, or “kilo-megacycle” as the 519 manual does.  :-DD

Wouldn't kmc be kilo-millicycles, or just plain Hz?   :P

(Remember, case is especially important when 'M' is the letter involved...)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76665 on: December 04, 2020, 08:09:28 am »
Perhaps we now "tow toe the line" .....
A picture is worth a thousand three words

We are being a bit picky, though.
Perhaps we need to "reign" ourselves  in!
Or will we leave that to HMTQ?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76666 on: December 04, 2020, 08:19:37 am »
I also move we also move back to calling “GHz” the “kmc”, or “kilo-megacycle” as the 519 manual does.  :-DD

Wouldn't kmc be kilo-millicycles, or just plain Hz?   :P

(Remember, case is especially important when 'M' is the letter involved...)

-Pat

Long time no see Pat! When you getting on discord???

To answer your question, that’s a good question. You see “kmc” all lower case a lot in old Tek manuals such as the 519 manual.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #76667 on: December 04, 2020, 08:43:16 am »
Do we have Nixie-fans here?

Dalibor has made an update video about the H-Tube¹ project:

¹Imho the H stands for "Hiroshima"
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76668 on: December 04, 2020, 08:47:36 am »

In Transmitter service, not so much-----regulated power supplies are more the exeption than the rule with
most tube transmitters.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76669 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:03 am »
Heads up for UK folk. It's £1 final value fee weekend!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76670 on: December 04, 2020, 10:38:07 am »
Thanks for the warning, haven't got mine yet  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76671 on: December 04, 2020, 10:40:24 am »

Try the promo link here: https://pages.ebay.co.uk/promos/1000444n/

Edit: watch out for the new gotcha though in the T&Cs. It has to sell in the first listing period for the discount to apply. If it is relisted later automatically, no discount!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76672 on: December 04, 2020, 10:49:41 am »

Try the promo link here: https://pages.ebay.co.uk/promos/1000444n/

Edit: watch out for the new gotcha though in the T&Cs. It has to sell in the first listing period for the discount to apply. If it is relisted later automatically, no discount!

That's not a new T&C.

I hope and presume that delisting an item and  then relisting it again is sufficient to restart that clock. Optionally make a few trivial changes before relisting.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76673 on: December 04, 2020, 10:53:14 am »
I haven't tried it to be honest. Historically that doesn't always work as a relisting is different to a new listing. It's worth checking. You can get a list of auctions which the discount applies to from the sales overview (bottom - check offers) which is worth doing after you list anything anyway.

My cousin tripped over this a while ago. Sold a MacBook Pro for £1200 on a. £1 listing day. It took 44 days to sell and he got a surprise £120 final fee  :-DD

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76674 on: December 04, 2020, 11:59:07 am »
@Tony,

Thanks for the tip on the PM6666 parts mule. I contacted the guy and 3 days later the TE arrived
for the indicated price of 30 euro's. I will post some pictures when I'm done.
BTW, the "mule" wasn't as "muled" as expected. Also the main board is fully functional.
Installed RAM serves the 65, 66 and 69 varieties.
And plenty room for a backlight modification.

The supplier has a nice assortment of used TE. For EU buyers a solution, by avoiding prohibitive US shippng fees:
https://skye-electronics.com/

Thanks,  Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, mansaxel, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf