Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562127 times)

Wolfgang, Mortymore, Peter_O, cncjerry and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #7675 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:53 pm »
Let us know how the PCB jig is. I could really do with one of them for board assembly.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7676 on: February 18, 2018, 12:39:36 pm »
Will do, I know that its not that big so wont hold many boards from equipment under repair, but for those that would fit, it should make life a bit easier I thought so that holding a part while either desoldering or soldering would be far easier if you didn't have to juggle with the board as well  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #7677 on: February 18, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »
I checked Amazon again and these DPS5015 units are still being listed at £3.99 - 9 in stock (well, there were until I bought 5 of them, now there's only 4 :) )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07433NF8F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Thanks for the heads up, just made a purchase, nothing overboard though,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072MCXR7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5MPKH1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these at the same time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRAEY6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D7LJ31/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's just you tea-timers getting this; I can SEE all the same deals, but I can't touch them... big red letters saying " This item does not ship to the United States. "  |O

Same search on the US site shows nothing even vaguely resembling such deals from either brand.  :-\

Y'all need to git 'em while they last... lucky gits. ;)

mnem
moo...?

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #7678 on: February 18, 2018, 04:50:42 pm »
Let us know how the PCB jig is. I could really do with one of them for board assembly.

Get Panavise; it's really not that expensive for the time & assache it saves you. Start with the 350 kit; it has the big tray base and the big PCB vise for around US$95, with spots to add a soldering iron holder and such. Add the 303 & 304 4" vise heads at around US$30 ea to complete the set. I have several in different configurations; and while they are expensive, you only suffer the pain once as they are a lifetime tool that is designed with some knowledge of how real folks use such things to make your life easier and to keep doing so as long as you don't just beat them to death.

In 30 years, I've never regretted the money spent on Panavise. It is one of few brands I can say that of; right up there with Fluke, Wiha, Klein, Excelite, Greenlee & Tek.

[EDIT]

If you're doing assembly work, you may want to look into the 324 instead; it has all the soldering stuff included, and a bigger PCB bracket with quick-release. Similar price to the 350; US$95 MSRP, approx $80-90 street price. It's not as versatile as the 350, but it is better suited to repetitive rework and production work scenarios.

[EDIT]

mnem
*Sickern'ell*
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:38:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7679 on: February 18, 2018, 04:56:28 pm »
I checked Amazon again and these DPS5015 units are still being listed at £3.99 - 9 in stock (well, there were until I bought 5 of them, now there's only 4 :) )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07433NF8F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072MCXR7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5MPKH1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRAEY6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071D7LJ31/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's just you tea-timers getting this; I can SEE all the same deals, but I can't touch them... big red letters saying " This item does not ship to the United States. "  |O

Same search on the US site shows nothing even vaguely resembling such deals from either brand.  :-\

Y'all need to git 'em while they last... lucky gits. ;)

mnem
moo...?

Well that really makes a change, its usually us Brits who get the bum deals with almost everything normally so very expensive when compared to what you pay over in the states. I wanted to buy a particular push switch from your Radioshack or Tandy whatever their called, and I was told that they cannot sell to me in the UK.  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7680 on: February 18, 2018, 07:05:11 pm »
Used a couple more of those resistors to do something useful. One AD8307 log power sensor. Got 10 of them for £3 from China instead of the usual £12 each (!) from RS. Got a Pomona BNC box in a lot from eBay a few years ago so decided to do it. AD8307's seem to be good. Nice linear response. Deadbug SMD, not so good but it works fine :D

This is a fuck load cheaper than buying an HP power meter with a working sensor!

And some test gear pr0n to go with it. Currently under test. Trying to work out how I'm going to get power into that Pomona box. Got no feed through capacitors left and it's a bit late to start drilling holes in it. Might just pop a small hole in the box lid and run a couple of wires out. Not exactly RF proof but it'll have to do.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:16:58 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7681 on: February 18, 2018, 07:32:34 pm »
Looking good  :-+ With the power, couldn't it be fed via 2 core screened and let let the screen provide the RF screening?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7682 on: February 18, 2018, 08:48:36 pm »
It could indeed. I worked out a lazy hack though. I ordered some feed through capacitors from eBay so will deal with it later, but for now I have fed the +V in through one of the screw holes on the BNC. It'll do the job nicely to be honest. It's done for now :)

I have plugged into into the GDM-8341 and programmed it (joy to programmable DMMs) to do a Y=MX+C transformation. I've written the M and C values on the box unceremoniously with marker. If you stick it in "math" mode and plug them in it will read dBm from -90dBm to +13dBm directly off the meter screen with no calibration curve or lookup chart required.

Edit: add picture of final device:

Building your own test gear is as fun as buying it and fixing it :D

BOM cost on this was about £7 thanks to eBay mixed lot of junk, China, Tayda and quality stock control at RS.

If I was to do this with parts bought new from RS I'd be down £60 or so (mostly being mugged for the Pomona box and the AD8307).

If I was to buy an HP with working power sensor I'd be down £200 :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:56:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7683 on: February 18, 2018, 08:56:05 pm »

And some test gear pr0n to go with it. Currently under test. Trying to work out how I'm going to get power into that Pomona box. Got no feed through capacitors left and it's a bit late to start drilling holes in it. Might just pop a small hole in the box lid and run a couple of wires out. Not exactly RF proof but it'll have to do.

Would 2pcs. SCI 9050-100-008 help? If so, send PM.

Circuit Type LB
Lead End Style TURRET
Body Diameter (in) 0.41
Thread Size ????
Thread Length (in) 0.187
Working Voltage 70
Current (A) 15
Capacitance (pF) 750000
DC Resistance (Ohms, Max) 0.005
IL @ 30KHz (dB) 9
IL @ 150KHz (dB) 20
IL @ 300KHz (dB) 29
IL @ 1MHz (dB) 39
IL @ 10MHz (dB) 52
IL @ 100MHz (dB) 70
IL @ 1GHz (dB) 70
Oper. Temp MIN (C) -55
Oper. Temp MAX (C) 125

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7684 on: February 18, 2018, 08:58:00 pm »
Doh too late. I just ordered a bag of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173159687936

Thanks for the offer anyway.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7685 on: February 18, 2018, 09:18:41 pm »
Used a couple more of those resistors to do something useful. One AD8307 log power sensor. Got 10 of them for £3 from China instead of the usual £12 each (!) from RS. Got a Pomona BNC box in a lot from eBay a few years ago so decided to do it. AD8307's seem to be good. Nice linear response. Deadbug SMD, not so good but it works fine :D

This is a fuck load cheaper than buying an HP power meter with a working sensor!

I thought you ditched that Rigol AWG.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7686 on: February 18, 2018, 09:21:27 pm »
Doh too late. I just ordered a bag of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173159687936

I was about to post that I had some of these too you could have had but on further inspection the ones I have are diodes! They look similar to the ones you ordered but have a black plastic cap on one end and are crimped a little too on the same end. I got them in a mixed bag of parts I got when I first started electronics. Most of it is junk but it was good finding out what everything was and how it worked.

:)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7687 on: February 18, 2018, 09:36:34 pm »
I thought you ditched that Rigol AWG.

I ditched the Rigol scope. I just bought the replacement for the Rigol AWG today and will shift that when it arrives. Then buy an RF signal generator (with a calibrated attenuator).

I was about to post that I had some of these too you could have had but on further inspection the ones I have are diodes! They look similar to the ones you ordered but have a black plastic cap on one end and are crimped a little too on the same end. I got them in a mixed bag of parts I got when I first started electronics. Most of it is junk but it was good finding out what everything was and how it worked.

:)

I do that all the time. I keep getting zeners and 1n4148's chucked in the sweepings tray. Solder one in and hmm, not powering up. Oh now wait that's because it's a 9v zener  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:38:51 pm by bd139 »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7688 on: February 18, 2018, 11:34:15 pm »

Well, the ones I was referring to are threaded. Would have given them away as I have about 40.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7689 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:16 pm »

Well, the ones I was referring to are threaded. Would have given them away as I have about 40.
Stick a message in the Buy/Sell/Wanted section, someone might have a need for them?
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7690 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:30 pm »
Is there a thread for random scrapping type teardowns of gear test or otherwise?

Reason the R&S Teletext decoder arriving will be full of interesting goodies I suspect but I am going to part it out as bits.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7691 on: February 18, 2018, 11:55:48 pm »

Well that really makes a change, its usually us Brits who get the bum deals with almost everything normally so very expensive when compared to what you pay over in the states. I wanted to buy a particular push switch from your Radioshack or Tandy whatever their called, and I was told that they cannot sell to me in the UK.  |O

Yeah, it's quite the reversal of fortune on these power supplies. Congrats, mates! :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7692 on: February 18, 2018, 11:58:44 pm »
Is there a thread for random scrapping type teardowns of gear test or otherwise?

Reason the R&S Teletext decoder arriving will be full of interesting goodies I suspect but I am going to part it out as bits.

If you're parting it out, there's the Buy/Sell/Wanted forum. Of course, you can post here if you want to give first dibs to fellow TEA sufferers. I don't think anyone would mind. It wouldn't be the first time we've taken a tangent or three. ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7693 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:54 am »
The 1740 wasn't going to be a keeper. I don't like the flood gun illumination on them. Tek got that a bit better.

Found a picture of the guts of the Farnell E30. The whole thing breaks in two if you pull it. So you've got the high voltage and filter sections on the rear as well as the pass transistor and the front is the regulator and low voltage stuff. Quite neat for working on it.

That Fluke was knackered when I got it. Took me a few days to get it working properly again. It was used in a kitchen as a thermometer so was chock full of shit, most of which had migrated to the high impedance parts and knocked it all off. Also the display had gone.
I'm not a great lover of the flood gun for illuminating the screen either, it takes a while to get going but then I don't tend to use it that often anyway so its not a real problem for me. Those Farnell E30's all the ones I have seen of those have all been extremely grotty and went something like £60, way over priced in my opinion given the state of them, some even had broken meters on them as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7694 on: February 19, 2018, 12:04:11 am »
'Parting out' doesn't mean 'throwing out', 'donating' or 'selling'  :-DD

I was thinking some stuff just becomes obsolete rather than usable like a GSM testing station collection  ::) I guess I am still interested to see what is inside this sort of gear but I am not up for producing youtube retro teardown videos either.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7695 on: February 19, 2018, 12:16:58 am »
Ah, so just good old tearing things apart to see what's inside and reuse? Sounds good to me. I bought some obsolete gear last year just for their nice enclosures.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7696 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:51 am »
I love tearing stuff down and finding out what's inside!  :)

I have the old tv still beside my bench just for that purpose...the Mrs isn't too impressed but what does she know right?  :box:
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7697 on: February 19, 2018, 12:22:44 am »
I do that as well, you can learn from that and also salvage so many useful parts for the future. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7698 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:34 am »
Yep. The R&S came with a 4U Road Case as well and it is a modular plugin type case with a HUGE dot display.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7699 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:32 am »
I was delving into the NEETS navy course from the fine selection of reading material in this fine forum. It mentions their standard impedance bridge, the ESI 250DE, and it just so happens that I'd already put a bid on this puppy as being the most reasonable solution to obtaining an LCR meter for cheap. I love old stuff, and am a little.... special so you probably have to be me for this to seem reasonable. Also, I hadn't found the brilliant thread here about the LCR meter saga. That looks like it will end up being a truly worthwhile project for me to have a stab at.

I'm a superstitious soul, it appears, and haven't even looked for the schematics and manuals yet, otherwise I'm sure to lose the auction, but be aware: If you have them already, please find them for I will be asking! Please also don't tell me, tho, due to the aforementioned jinxing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf