Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14911488 times)

TERRA Operative, factory and 230 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #76900 on: December 07, 2020, 01:47:10 am »
How about Jethro, always worth watching in my book.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #76901 on: December 07, 2020, 01:53:06 am »
I'm no fan of Mrs. Browns Boys, but it is anything but British: Irish writer, Irish Director, Irish Producer, Irish cast. Other than the fact that BBC Scotland got involved later there was nothing British about it. Equally so with Father Ted, Irish writer, Irish Director, Irish cast, Irish location.

IT Crowd was also written by an Irish writer, but I would consider it British as (almost) everthing else about it came from Britain.

I've nothing against British stuff or people, but could you please learn that there's a difference between Irish and British. We didn't call Friends a Canadian series.

McBryce.

HEY, I said "British Isles"  >:D

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76902 on: December 07, 2020, 03:01:13 am »
I'm no fan of Mrs. Browns Boys, but it is anything but British: Irish writer, Irish Director, Irish Producer, Irish cast. Other than the fact that BBC Scotland got involved later there was nothing British about it. Equally so with Father Ted, Irish writer, Irish Director, Irish cast, Irish location.

IT Crowd was also written by an Irish writer, but I would consider it British as (almost) everthing else about it came from Britain.

I've nothing against British stuff or people, but could you please learn that there's a difference between Irish and British. We didn't call Friends a Canadian series.

McBryce.

Ouch, be careful. Saying "British Isles" and including all of Ireland isn't going to win you any friends. It's like saying the USA is part of the British Isles. The Republic of Ireland, or "southern" Ireland if you will, is a fully independent and sovereign nation not part of the UK or British Isles. It has been that way since the 1920's when full independence from the UK was granted. Northern Ireland is part of the UK and loyal to the Crown. Now I'm not going to go into the history and politics involved here but let's just say that it hasn't been a very peaceful arrangement and there are still many unresolved issues.

Here's a picture to help you out. And if you're not Irish or Irish descent like me it's understandable that you aren't aware of the issues or differences.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76903 on: December 07, 2020, 03:23:53 am »
I’m impressed with the diode check function on the Agilent 34401A.

One of my friends bought this 12 V LED light bar from some lady on Facebook Marketplace.  I’m not sure how the deal went down but the pictures were stock photos of the unit and when he got it home, he hooked it up and nothing happened and then he saw a nice burn under the lenses.  The lady stopped returning messages as soon as he complained it was DOA.  So I got the call and said bring it over and we’ll take a look at it.  Getting the housing apart was a pain but a hammer and flathead screwdriver did the trick to get the strips that hold the cover in place slid out of their troughs. And we have a cooked regulator and some passive components.  D2 turned out to be shorted so I clipped it out.  The thought was to isolate the LEDs and if they were still good, knock together a driver circuit on a daughter board instead of trying to repair the charred and destroyed mess.

I was having trouble getting on to the surface mount components with regular leads so I got out the new set that I bought in an order of miscellaneous Keysight parts and got some very fine tip probes out that did the trick and spun up the 34401A with the idea of checking the LEDs.  It’s trying.  It says “Open” but it’s trying.  It had enough oomph to make the LEDs that survive light up.  The others are all blown open.  I probed a bunch of them and there was no action but the good ones would light up from the power and ground rails being backfed from each of the blown ones I tested.

My friend decided to write it off since more than half of the LEDs got totalled when the driver circuit self destructed.  The lady on Facebook Marketplace still isn’t replying to messages.  We figure it blew up so she decided to unload it and run so it looks like my friend’s out his $20 for it unfortunately.  I’m going to try to savage the inductors off the board for my parts bin but that’s about all it’s good for.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 03:26:33 am by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76904 on: December 07, 2020, 03:26:28 am »
Ouch, be careful. Saying "British Isles" and including all of Ireland isn't going to win you any friends. It's like saying the USA is part of the British Isles. The Republic of Ireland, or "southern" Ireland if you will, is a fully independent and sovereign nation not part of the UK or British Isles. It has been that way since the 1920's when full independence from the UK was granted. Northern Ireland is part of the UK and loyal to the Crown. Now I'm not going to go into the history and politics involved here but let's just say that it hasn't been a very peaceful arrangement and there are still many unresolved issues.

Here's a picture to help you out. And if you're not Irish or Irish descent like me it's understandable that you aren't aware of the issues or differences.

Sorry Med but they are called the British Isles. Eire (and Northern Ireland) is part of the British Isles, so is the Isle of Man (another separate sovereign nation) so are the Orkneys and so on. That's just what that group of islands is called.

See wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_the_British_Isles

Here's their illustration of the "British Isles":

I qualify for an Irish passport, so if we're going to use "Irish decent" as the arbiter of who knows what about the name of the island group that includes Eire then I strongly suspect that I'm closer to the sod than you are.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76905 on: December 07, 2020, 03:33:08 am »

McBryce.

I used  >:D for a reason.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76906 on: December 07, 2020, 03:38:25 am »

Sorry Med but they are called the British Isles. Eire (and Northern Ireland) is part of the British Isles, so is the Isle of Man (another separate sovereign nation) so are the Orkneys and so on. That's just what that group of islands is called.

See wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_the_British_Isles

I qualify for an Irish passport, so if we're going to use "Irish decent" as the arbiter of who knows what about the name of the island group that includes Eire then I strongly suspect that I'm closer to the sod than you are.

FWIW, I can trace ancestors back to Ireland and Scotland. I doubt I qualify for a passport though.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #76907 on: December 07, 2020, 05:37:46 am »

On The Bench Tonight: $40 Hot-air Rework Station

While reading up on this particular variant of the Cheap-Ass Blow-Job, one of the reviewers posted a very cogent rundown of the pros & cons. Even though it came wired wrong (fuse in the neutral line), he gave it high marks because excellent build quality for literally a few dollars.

He was absolutely right on both counts. I was expecting a disposable cheapest-possible styrene case; this is epoxy-painted steel everywhere, including front & rear panels. The plastic you see is just bezel rings. Inside... Okay, they use hot-snot as a primary building material for one thing: To hold the red filter over the LED to the front panel. That considered, I still prefer it to the option a great many variants take: omit it altogether.

A quick teardown showed mine wired similarly wrong; continuity test to the plug made absolutely certain. And really nerve-grating... the "hot" wire from the switch is made from wire in one of the universal color codes for a GND circuit.  :palm:

Those grumps corrected and a proper ESD bleeder resistor in the GND wire for the handset; I just had to do something aboot that hot lead so committed a little Sharpie abuse to turn it bloo.

After discovering how well & truly fooked this thing was, I've gone back & rewired with a new cord in North American color code. Handset GND restored to original direct to Earth GND configuration after seeing inside of handset and noting close proximity of heater element to metal shell.

Here it it tootling away at 380°; good range of flow control and very little fan vibration. I got lucky with this one.  :-+ It comes with 5mm, 8mm & 10mm nozzles. They are a twist-lock design; we'll see how well they hold on in use. :-//

One nice thing is the UI is "pick it up and start using it simple" and intuitive. Design is Spartan, but not without features. I like the red filter over the LED; makes it look finished. The rightmost decimal point illuminates to indicate PWM cycling on the heat. LED indicates set temp when you're pressing buttons and when it first starts heating up, then shows measured temp as it heats. Set temp is retained after power off.

The cradle has a magnet in it; a sensor in the handle detects when you've put it up and starts a cooldown process, running the fan until temp drops below 100°, then switching to this null display mode to indicate it is asleep. Very straightforward & intuitive.  :-+

All in all, just like the other buyer described it; QC on the wiring is a weak point, but an incredible value for only ~US$40 as long as you open it and inspect it (and correct as necessary) before you power it up. I'm not going to call it a good daily use unit for any kind of a pro... the handset is one of the cheapest made, and I still prefer the tactile feedback you get with a remote blower model. But perfect for occasional hobbyist use. Just enough to get the job done in most cases.  :-+

For the price... you could almost treat the whole thing as a consumable supply. :-//

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:30:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #76908 on: December 07, 2020, 06:06:09 am »
Get him to listen to the original radio series. For a start, the pictures are better.

I was first introduced to this by listening to The Goon Show.  That was whacky, crazy ... and brilliant stuff.

A Goon Show classic:

Bluebottle   What time is it Eccles?
Eccles   Err, just a minute. I, I've got it written down 'ere on a piece of paper. A nice man wrote the time down for me this morning.
Bluebottle   Ooooh, then why do you carry it around with you Eccles?
Eccles   Well, umm, if a anybody asks me the ti-ime, I ca-can show it to dem.
SNIPPY
Bluebottle   My granma.
Eccles   Ohh... Ohh, ah wait a minute. How does she know when it's eight o'clock?
Bluebottle   She's got it written down on a piece of paper!

I know people who even now can quote slabs of the Goon show as they could 30+ years ago  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #76909 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:06 am »
..... He's fallen in da water!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #76910 on: December 07, 2020, 06:39:25 am »

From your same source.

"The term British Isles can also be considered irritating or offensive by some[50] on the grounds that the modern association of the term British with the United Kingdom makes its application to Ireland inappropriate. "

Consider me irritated.  ::)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #76911 on: December 07, 2020, 07:28:06 am »
I’m impressed with the diode check function on the Agilent 34401A.

34401A is a joy forever.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76912 on: December 07, 2020, 07:42:37 am »
Re: British Isles...

For reference, the general real state of affairs is that 99.9% of the population here don’t actually give a crap what you call it and think of those who do as mentalists which is probably right considering they dress up in funny clothes, march around and shoot each other while everyone else tuts and shakes their heads.

What we do find weird though is a former tea drowning colony which decided it didn’t want anything to do with us several generations ago obsessing about ancestry when such massive cultural deviation has occurred.

Really though we’re a bunch of moneys stuck to an insignificant rock and there more important things to worry about than ancestry because quite frankly in the scale of things we were born in each other’s back gardens.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #76913 on: December 07, 2020, 07:58:45 am »

I'm afraid, I cannot contribute anything here, because we Germans are known for our non-existing sense of humour.

says you're wrong. 

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #76914 on: December 07, 2020, 08:04:00 am »
I’m going to try to savage the inductors off the board for my parts bin but that’s about all it’s good for.

Poor inductors.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #76915 on: December 07, 2020, 08:05:15 am »

I'm missing the Falkland Islands on that picture....   >:D    8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #76916 on: December 07, 2020, 08:12:52 am »

I'm afraid, I cannot contribute anything here, because we Germans are known for our non-existing sense of humour.

Stapelfahrer Klaus says you're wrong.

:) Thanks.

Looks like, I need to watch more videos like this one

;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76917 on: December 07, 2020, 08:23:56 am »
Get him to listen to the original radio series. For a start, the pictures are better.

I was first introduced to this by listening to The Goon Show.  That was whacky, crazy ... and brilliant stuff.

A Goon Show classic:

Eccles   Err, just a minute. I, I've got it written down 'ere on a piece of paper. A nice man wrote the time down for me this morning.
SNIPPY
Bluebottle   My granma.
Eccles   Ohh... Ohh, ah wait a minute. How does she know when it's eight o'clock?

I know people who even now can quote slabs of the Goon show as they could 30+ years ago  :-DD

... even though the last Goon Show was 60 years ago :) (1951-1960)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76918 on: December 07, 2020, 08:40:59 am »

I'm missing the Falkland Islands on that picture....   >:D    8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands

As a rule I hate yootoob videos. GCP Grey's videos are a notable exception.

His 5 minute information dense[1] video on this subject explains it all, and more. Graphics on "British Isles" at 1:21 and 2:17, Gibraltar at 4:05, Falklands at 4:10, Summary at 5:05. But do yourself a favour and watch it all. If you are in the right mood, it is as good as any of the comedy programs mentioned elsewhere :)

[1] I find it useful to turn on the closed caption titles so I don't miss bits, it is that good.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #76919 on: December 07, 2020, 08:48:49 am »

It made regular repeats on the local National Radio well into the 80's and maybe is still doing the rounds for all I know.

Wikipedia snip
The series has remained consistently popular ever since, with the show being broadcast weekly by Australia's ABC network as late as 2012.[21] The show is also broadcast upon BBC Radio 4 Extra.[22]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:51:10 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #76920 on: December 07, 2020, 09:02:51 am »

It made regular repeats on the local National Radio well into the 80's and maybe is still doing the rounds for all I know.

Wikipedia snip
The series has remained consistently popular ever since, with the show being broadcast weekly by Australia's ABC network as late as 2012.[21] The show is also broadcast upon BBC Radio 4 Extra.[22]
I well remember as a kid sneaking dads transistor radio into bed under my pillow to listen to the Sunday night Goon show in the late 60's.
Neddy Segoon and his mates.....now distant but fond memories. :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #76921 on: December 07, 2020, 11:35:15 am »

__     __     ______        ______     ______     ______        ______   ______     ______   
/\ \  _ \ \   /\  ___\      /\  __ \   /\  == \   /\  ___\      /\__  _\ /\  ___\   /\  __ \   
\ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __\      \ \  __ \  \ \  __<   \ \  __\      \/_/\ \/ \ \  __\   \ \  __ \ 
 \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_____\     \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\       \ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_\ \_\
  \/_/   \/_/   \/_____/      \/_/\/_/   \/_/ /_/   \/_____/        \/_/   \/_____/   \/_/\/_/

Just making a few steps back and watiching this TEA thread....

1) We have sooo much passion
2) We become friends
3) "Finally someone who can understand me"
4) We are the only one I know with a Discord channel

5) This is the best EEVBlog product ever made....

we should invite Dave on our Discord at Sat night...

PS: Why too much coffee make me write this...

Keeeepp pumping current in this TEA device!!!!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #76922 on: December 07, 2020, 11:38:37 am »

A Goon Show classic:

Bluebottle   Wait a minute Eccles, my good man...
Eccles   What is it fellow?
Bluebottle   It's writted on this bit of paper, what is eight o'clock, is writted.
Eccles   I know that my good fellow. That's right, um, when I asked the fella to write it down, it was eight o'clock.
Bluebottle   Well then. Supposing when somebody asks you the time, it isn't eight o'clock?
Eccles   Ah, den I don't show it to dem.
Bluebottle   Ooohhh...
Eccles   [Smacks lips] Yeah.
Bluebottle   Well how do you know when it's eight o'clock?
Eccles   I've got it written down on a piece of paper!
Bluebottle   Oh, I wish I could afford a piece of paper with the time written on.
Eccles   Oohhhh.
Bluebottle   'Ere Eccles?
Eccles   Yah.
Bluebottle   Let me hold that piece of paper to my ear would you? - 'Ere. This piece of paper ain't goin'.
Eccles   What? I've been sold a forgery!
Bluebottle   No wonder it stopped at eight o'clock.
Eccles   Oh dear.
Bluebottle   You should get one of them tings my grandad's got.
Eccles   Oooohhh?
Bluebottle   His firm give it to him when he retired.
Eccles   Oooohhh.
Bluebottle   It's one of dem tings what it is that wakes you up at eight o'clock, boils the kettil, and pours a cuppa tea.
Eccles   Ohhh yeah! What's it called? Um.
Bluebottle   My granma.

Top choice! .... One of my favourite scenes.

I can just about recite it word perfect - and I haven't heard it for an embarrassingly long time....!

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76923 on: December 07, 2020, 01:22:56 pm »
and I suppose I'll give an honorable mention to Fawlty Towers. I just enjoy John Cleese.

One of the few moments in life where I've laughed so hard that I began to fear that I might die from asphyxiation, is the moment in Fawlty Towers where Basil, in one room, put his hand back through the door and tries to use the Australian girl's nipple as a light switch while Sybil is, unbeknownst to Basil, watching on.

I had that same fear not just once watching Coupling. Just thinking about some scenes is killing me ... "But I'm a bi-vegetarian!"
Now I have to pull out the DVDs and watch it.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76924 on: December 07, 2020, 03:15:40 pm »
A quick teardown showed mine wired similarly wrong; continuity test to the plug made absolutely certain. And really nerve-grating... the "hot" wire from the switch is made from wire in one of the universal color codes for a GND circuit.  :palm:

Those grumps corrected and a proper ESD bleeder resistor in the GND wire for the handset; I just had to do something aboot that hot lead so committed a little Sharpie abuse to turn it bloo.

It's worth noting that here in IEEE/IET Wiring Regulations land there's an official way of abusing wire when you don't have cable with the proper colour coding for what you're using them for and that is to fit sleeving of the appropriate colour at every point you terminate a wire.

So if you're wiring a lighting circuit where the blue conductor is used as a live conductor you're required to use brown sleeving at the points where it is terminated to identify it as a live conductor. Similarly you're required to sleeve any bare copper protective earth conductors (such as are found in twin-and-earth) with yellow/green sleeving. Although officially one isn't explicitly forbidden from sleeving a yellow/green PE conductor to another use, most people would say that it's a no-no but in Mem's particular case "needs must when the devil drives" - It's not like there's an NIC-EIC inspector lurking around the corner.

Officially here one can paint conductors to indicate the use but I suspect that Sharpie would be frowned upon as insufficiently permanent. (Especially if you coloured the hot phase blue given that brown is what the civilised world uses for hot on a single phase circuit, blue is neutral. I realise that in the strange world of North America white is neutral, black is hot* and that additionally blue is potentially a hot phase colour.)

*The world is big enough that at some point in history in one of the more backward states a black man will have walked past a white electrician getting his apprentice to learn to repeat by rote "Black is hot" and as he walks by, quietly he says to himself "Yes it is brother, yes it is" with a chuckle.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf