Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14559399 times)

TERRA Operative, Ice-Tea (+ 1 Hidden) and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79875 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:30 am »
Any good bearing supply house will carry highly polished and hardened bearing grade steel balls.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #79876 on: January 17, 2021, 01:07:19 am »
The forecast for double entendres is: High
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #79877 on: January 17, 2021, 01:28:13 am »
Any good bearing supply house will carry highly polished and hardened bearing grade steel balls.
Bearing balls always amaze me. The nature of them should make them hard to manufacture yet some clever gits managed to develop a process to make them well, cheap and in droves. Us considering them mundane is an industrial marvel.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79878 on: January 17, 2021, 01:29:03 am »
The forecast for double entendres is: High
In Other News...

I Have HOT SHINY BALLS!!!

I still have mine.  >:D

mnem
At least, my wife lets me think so. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #79879 on: January 17, 2021, 01:37:46 am »
 :palm:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #79880 on: January 17, 2021, 04:50:48 am »
Closing out the right OT Rovatti PTO pump rebuild.....finished !

The more I've worked on this thing the more I'm impressed with its design features.

Back when we were at this stage ^ the worry was how to get the impeller off the keyed taper without breaking it when in fact it's piss simple due to using Timken bearings on the pump shaft and having a grubscrew on one end to preload the bearings.
With one stuffed bearing there was just enough end float on the shaft to get a couple of screwdrivers behind the impeller however with new bearings there certainly is not.  :-//
Had me wondering for a bit after partial reassembly how one might get the impeller off as there are no threaded puller holes in it and then it dawned on me.
Clearances behind the impeller are miniscule therefore when the bearing preload screw is wound back to allow shaft end play the impeller can be pressed back against the housing where just undoing the nut some and using a drift on the pump shaft pops it cleanly off the taper. Shit simple and clever design. Color me impressed.  ;D

Anyways all completed now after a real last 2hr battle with getting the 2 halves of the driveshaft to slide completely together.
Some monkey had previously decided to grind a small taper on the end of the 3 side lemon tube inner driveshaft which inhibits it scraping the rust, dirt and gunge from inside of the outer however after cutting it square again so a nice sharp edge could do it thing and then some time with hammers and in the washbath it's like a new'un again.  :phew:

Completed project minus a fitting to allow connection to our pipe work.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh, beanflying, factory, cyclin_al

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #79881 on: January 17, 2021, 05:33:10 am »

Yeah, lots of HP rack gear have very deep cases. I'm on the verge of putting some bookshelves behind my desk to extend the surface area. TEA-world problem. :-DD

Solved by purpose made and matched to available space shelves:

Show off! :-DD

That looks great, capt. There's certainly no substitute for a custom solution.

There's a shortcoming with that solution: Some of my TEA has short cases, that would leave a lot of space behind. Somehow that feels inefficient to leave a hole behind an instrument.
With all that boat anchor stuff on those shelves  "...... but Captn,..... she canna take any more......"   😁 apologies to the Trekkies.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79882 on: January 17, 2021, 10:30:33 am »
Heads up UK Tek fanboys, came across this on eBay this morning a Tek 7704 main frame stuffed with modules and seems to be working, collection only.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324454786656
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79883 on: January 17, 2021, 10:40:16 am »
Another heads for the UK Philips fanboys, there is this PM3365/50 scope, it is part of her late husbands collection so there are other items and electronic books / magazines etc, well worth a look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154293572792
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79884 on: January 17, 2021, 10:53:02 am »
Well, the good old Royal Mail must really be backlogged, as we've just had that unheard of thing, a Sunday delivery. Sent on the 5th, by the Royal Mail 48hr service it's only ten days overdue.

Just to annoy the Dragon - thinking back to his travails to get the same, what it was is a 1 litre bottle of fully synthetic ISO 32 sewing machine oil which came to the princely sum of £7.30 ($12.61 Canukistan Kopeks) including snail like delivery.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79885 on: January 17, 2021, 11:01:00 am »
My local RM office do Sunday deliveries. It’s usually whatever they found left under something at the end of the week that is chucked in a van and delivered by some dude who drew the short straw that week or at least comes across as apologetic enough not to get stabbed by customers.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79886 on: January 17, 2021, 11:02:15 am »
Yes they are backlogged in some areas. Parts of Essex have allegedly not had a post delivery since 14th December  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79887 on: January 17, 2021, 11:04:44 am »
Another heads for the UK Philips fanboys, there is this PM3365/50 scope, it is part of her late husbands collection so there are other items and electronic books / magazines etc, well worth a look.

Genuinely feel sorry for that woman. The amount of boat anchors she has is insane. Clearly her husband was an avid collector but when he dropped dead I can almost hear her groaning at the comment I’m sure he made which was “they’re worth a lot when I’m gone”. Alas they’re also a complete pain in the arse to deal with.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79888 on: January 17, 2021, 11:05:40 am »
TEA Pump?
in a odd coincidence, some TEA arrived on Friday and was accompanied by some pump impellors  :-//

So what is the TEA? Bonus if any one knows what the pump belongs too, From the NSN linked part number (FV668861) its off a bit of  British Army kit. BTW I'd call it an impeller, but the box and NSN listing calls it an impellor.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79889 on: January 17, 2021, 11:15:50 am »
Heads up UK Tek fanboys, came across this on eBay this morning a Tek 7704 main frame stuffed with modules and seems to be working, collection only.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324454786656

Haha you beat me to it, I was going to wave that one provocatively at bd139!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79890 on: January 17, 2021, 11:23:16 am »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79891 on: January 17, 2021, 11:26:41 am »
Well, the good old Royal Mail must really be backlogged, as we've just had that unheard of thing, a Sunday delivery. Sent on the 5th, by the Royal Mail 48hr service it's only ten days overdue.

Just to annoy the Dragon - thinking back to his travails to get the same, what it was is a 1 litre bottle of fully synthetic ISO 32 sewing machine oil which came to the princely sum of £7.30 ($12.61 Canukistan Kopeks) including snail like delivery.

I bought one of these:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC-OIL-FUCHS-LUBRICANTS-MIL-SPEC-PREMIUM-QUALITY-HYDRAULIC-OIL-5L-CAN/143226367787
for the Myford over a year ago. OM33 is a high quality ISO 32 oil with no additives that corrode yellow metal bearings. 5 litres for £16.49 delivered (I know the seller, he dropped it off for a cup of coffee on his way home from Tesco  :-+ )
£3.30 a liter. Similar oil sold for Myford lathes goes for about £20 a litre  :-//

If anyone in the UK need a small qty let me know.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #79892 on: January 17, 2021, 11:28:42 am »

Not only the Royal mail. In Country Oz in a town of 1000 Sunday Parcel here today too  :o New seat for my Hobie Kayak as my fat ass wore out the old one  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79893 on: January 17, 2021, 11:38:10 am »

Genuinely feel sorry for that woman. The amount of boat anchors she has is insane. Clearly her husband was an avid collector but when he dropped dead I can almost hear her groaning at the comment I’m sure he made which was “they’re worth a lot when I’m gone”. Alas they’re also a complete pain in the arse to deal with.

It's a shame most is collection only and so far away. The Phillips is a re-list, probably non pick up. Some of his kit is making good money, if she could sort out shipping it would probably get a lot more.
I'm tempted by the frankenstien Pye Cambridge conversion
/www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PYE-Cambridge-AM10D-1960s-Transistor-Radio-Telephone-Parts-no-plug-to-test/154294739558?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79894 on: January 17, 2021, 11:46:30 am »

I've bought a few items from that seller last year including the HP 5325B counter, I'm surprised as they hadn't listed anything for a few months and now they have found more interesting stuff.
The Philips scope was sold last week, so I guess the original buyer didn't read about collection only or isn't from the UK.  :palm:
BD, some of the collection has made quite a lot, but there will always be stuff that isn't worth much.

Robert, they were shipping when they started, but I guess they got fed up with boxing it up, quite understandable given the amount of stuff they have had to sell.

David
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:49:16 am by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79895 on: January 17, 2021, 11:52:58 am »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79896 on: January 17, 2021, 03:44:02 pm »
Interesting test of a Toyota Prius battery under short circuit conditions here. There are subtitles in English.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79897 on: January 17, 2021, 03:50:25 pm »
Luckily just a cell pack and not the whole battery.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79898 on: January 17, 2021, 04:01:46 pm »
Agreed, could you imagine the huge pressure those cells would be under when they are all clamped together as complete battery?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79899 on: January 17, 2021, 04:08:18 pm »
Easiest way to put an Uber driver into orbit.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf