Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14822362 times)

Ice-Tea and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80100 on: January 19, 2021, 06:01:55 pm »
You are one sick bitch.  :-DD

mnem
I know you wear that badge with pride. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80101 on: January 19, 2021, 06:05:42 pm »
menm will 3Dprint you some...  :clap:
Well the HP 66312A turned up here today.

Bummer: despite what ought to have been reasonable packaging by the seller, Parcelfarce managed to smash the shrouds on the terminals.      

I've given it a brief functional checkout and the basics all work. In doing so I discovered an interesting feature, the fan speed is directly proportional to the measured output current (or perhaps power). It doesn't change after a thermal lag, it changes immediately the measured output current changes. Neat.

By the way, this is the heaviest 40W PSU I've ever encountered. In fact, I'd go for it being the heaviest PSU in terms of kg/W that I've ever encountered - excluding PSUs that only put out a 100 mW or so, where they're hitting the limits of how small/light you can practically make something that plugs into the mains.

Edit: Just calculated from the specifications: 4.54 W/kg.

LOL... I could too print something up, pretty quickly. And it would be a lot less assache than tearing that thing down to replace the whole terminal, which I think is necessary on these right? From the photo it looks like the 4mm socket tube is swaged over to keep the nut from being able to be twisted off the terminal.

Exactly the latter. Anyway, if I want it to have a hipster vibe I don't have to go as far as 3D printing, just squeeze a little Sugru onto the retained 'nut' and it's good.  :) In all seriousness I might go down that route for a pro tem solution, which if I do probably means it'll still be there in ten years time.

Yeah, output-wattage-controlled fans seems to be a thing now... even my little Cheap Chinese CC/CV PSU does it.  :-//  For sure the opposite end of the spectrum weight/watt wise tho; I've pulled a constant 88 watts out of this little 800 gram toy. :-DD 

Yes, I know it's a completely different class of machine; more reference standard than PSU. It just made me giggle when you described it in terms of enheavyment. ;)

Not reference but measurement. The giveaway is that some of the sibling supplies are designated "communications" test supplies; it's all about the fast current measurements so that it can act in place of a battery for mobiles and the like that jump around in power demand.

The current measurement is interesting in itself. The low bandwidth current measurement is taken in the bog standard method of measuring voltage across a current sense resistor, said signal is also used as feed back for regulation. The high bandwidth current measurement path is a current transformer in series with the output capacitor (the whole across the output, obviously). So there's quite a bit of awkward fast arithmetic involved in combining the current pull from the supply with the current charge/drain on the output capacitor to get the composite measured figure. Not an obvious choice on the surface, and if I'd come up with the same scheme I'd have wanted to do quite a lot of proving that it could adequately get an accurate output current reading once all the fiddling with number had been done.

which if I do probably means it'll still be there in ten years time... I hear you. I'll be honest; the printer itself is fun: very tinkery-fiddly-bits handwork like hotrodding usedta be. It's effing with the firmware in the thing when you want to customize it, and especially learning whatever 3D CADD program you use to make the models that is a total mindfuck. That is the exact reason I put it off for close to a decade; but now I've gotten to the point where there is a certain perverse pleasure in outwitting Frustion360 and getting what I want. >:D

We all (in here) already have a fair bit of the sado-masochism trait; all you need now is drink half a shot of the Stockholm syndrome moonshine and you'll be there...  :-DD

Fortunately, it looks like Robert may have you covered; I hope so.  :-+

Not reference but measurement. Yeah, I looked it up on the Keysight website to see why you were interested in it. Not used to thinking of a PSU as a measurement device, even tho in reality I do it all the time with my LED lighting and RC hobbies.  :o

Some interesting titles in their "Related Documents" section: https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000001616%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-66312A/40-watt-dynamic-measurement-dc-source-20v-2a?pm=PL&nid=-536902299.536881829&cc=CA&lc=eng

I clicked on a couple but my old credentials didn't work... not sure if that's cuz purged or coming from Canadian IP.  :-//  I may follow up on them when I'm not in the middle of 16 other things on a time crunch.

mnem
Any day you learn something new is a day not wasted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 06:14:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80102 on: January 19, 2021, 06:28:50 pm »
Well the HP 66312A turned up here today.

Bummer: despite what ought to have been reasonable packaging by the seller, Parcelfarce managed to smash the shrouds on the terminals.

I've given it a brief functional checkout and the basics all work. In doing so I discovered an interesting feature, the fan speed is directly proportional to the measured output current (or perhaps power). It doesn't change after a thermal lag, it changes immediately the measured output current changes. Neat.

By the way, this is the heaviest 40W PSU I've ever encountered. In fact, I'd go for it being the heaviest PSU in terms of kg/W that I've ever encountered - excluding PSUs that only put out a 100 mW or so, where they're hitting the limits of how small/light you can practically make something that plugs into the mains.

Edit: Just calculated from the specifications: 4.54 W/kg.

I should have  couple of those. Send me a picture of the rear (there are a couple of different types) and I'll check

EDIT I found the manual they are 1510-0091 I have some used @Cerebus PM me your address if you would like a couple.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80103 on: January 19, 2021, 06:39:30 pm »
Some interesting titles in their "Related Documents" section: https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000001616%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-66312A/40-watt-dynamic-measurement-dc-source-20v-2a?pm=PL&nid=-536902299.536881829&cc=CA&lc=eng

I clicked on a couple but my old credentials didn't work... not sure if that's cuz purged or coming from Canadian IP.  :-//  I may follow up on them when I'm not in the middle of 16 other things on a time crunch.

mnem

They seem to have put stupid information gathering barriers in the way since I last downloaded anything there. Just give Mickey Mouse answers...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80104 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:43 pm »
Well I for one have nothing at all from Sony, but my boys all have PlayStations. I never knew about the Sony root kit scandal  :palm:

I have a ICF7600D that survived a Duracell attack, a clock radio with RDS (because that was the thing to have back then) and a PS3.
Maybe there's a walkman hiding somewhere that I forgot.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80105 on: January 19, 2021, 07:01:04 pm »

mnem

They seem to have put stupid information gathering barriers in the way since I last downloaded anything there. Just give Mickey Mouse answers...

Yeah, I'm doing more pressing things; like getting my Linus fix over a roast beef & what they call Swiss cheese over here sandwich. ;)

Sick & tired of of Windoze10 telemetry being so far up your butt they know what you had for lunch?
You too can install Win10 Ameliorated Edition: https://ameliorated.info/

Quote from: Win10 AME
What Is This Project?

Windows 10 AME aims at delivering a stable, non-intrusive yet fully functional build of Windows 10 to anyone, who requires the Windows operating system natively. Spyware systems, which are abundant in Windows 10 by default, have not been disabled using group policy, registry entries or various other workarounds – they have been entirely removed and deleted from the system, on an executable-level. This includes Windows Update, and any related services intended to re-patch the system via what is essentially a universal backdoor. Core applications, such as the included Edge web-browser, Windows Media Player, Cortana, as well as any appx applications, have also been successfully eliminated. The total size of removed files is about 2 GB.

Great effort has been invested in maintaining the subsequent system’s stability, bug-free operation and user experience, as many of these removed services conflict with core Windows 10 features.

TL/DR: Functionally, it feels like XP SP2 with a Win10 skin. That's not as yummy as it might sound at first; "fully functional" is only to certain definitions thereof. :P

mnem
Pastrami gives me existential angst.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:58:52 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80106 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:36 pm »
In the Sony arena -- except for at work, where we've got silly amounts of BVM series monitors etc, I've got the 1HE slot-in CDP-D11 CD player in the stereo rack. It currently is inoperative, and noone misses it, because CD's are so last decade. TBH we play a lot more vinyl. I'm suspecting some power supply issue -- the main 5V being "sometimes" is my current idea.

A much more used Sony apparatus are my MDR-7506 headphones. I have no reservations on those; excellent bit of kit, well supported with spares and repairable. Not as insanely repairable as the beyerdynamic DT100 and friends, but still.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #80107 on: January 19, 2021, 07:13:35 pm »
received RMA for that dead ASUS card.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80108 on: January 19, 2021, 07:18:26 pm »
The great wheel keeps turning...

mnem
...just not as quickly as we might sometimes like. ;)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80109 on: January 19, 2021, 07:52:22 pm »
These will go in the post tomorrow if it stops raining

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80110 on: January 19, 2021, 08:30:38 pm »
Sony TVs, Walkmans, Discmans, VCRs, the whole range of consumer electronics were prevalent when I was growing up but they lost their way right around the time I started getting into vintage tube stuff.  Then the rootkit scandal hit.

I have a 40 inch Sony LCD TV in the living room that I bought in late 2014 at a Boxing Day sale.  I'd just gone through a breakup and the ex took our plasma TV and home theatre receiver and speakers so I needed something and the 40 inch Sony on display looked good so I bought one figuring I'd give Sony a chance after the whole rootkit fiasco.  I wasn't happy when I discovered the Sony on display at the store had far less backlight leakage than the one I'd bought and coming from the plasma which had beautifully dark black levels, it was really noticeable.  I wonder if either Sony Canada or the store was cherrypicking the display units to show off the best ones of the lot or something like that since the two weren't close at all.  That and Sony's current product line pretty much means that's it for me as far as that company goes.

This video popped up in my Youtube feed yesterday and given the discussion here, I watched it:

It definitely agrees with BD's comments about Sony's house sound.  The descriptions in that video of the Sony and the Marantz agree with how I remember both of them.  My family had one of the smaller Marantz receivers from the same period for a long time and my best friend's family had a lot of Sony stereo equipment from the 80s and 90s.  It's too bad the guy who made the video isn't an electronics engineer/technologist/test equipment geek.  If it was me putting those two receivers up against each other and I heard that difference, they'd both have gotten carted downstairs and put them on the bench with the 8903B and sweep them to get some hard and fast numbers to see if Sony goosed the ends of the frequency response to tailor the sound compared to the Marantz.

Anyhow, I did shoot some unboxing video of the 34401A and the S-A-A-2N/TinySA packages.  The camcorder wasn't a Sony though!  If there's interest, I can try to stitch something together and toss it online later if anybody wants to see.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80111 on: January 19, 2021, 08:43:56 pm »
Bought today a MASTECH MS8911 on ebay:      https://www.ebay.com/itm/283341251476

Arrived today. Looking good so far.  :-+   Pictures will follow this evening.

Alleged delivery attempt at 12:50PM today local; no sticker/post-it/note or even footprints in the snow at 10:30AM local. Screenshot 10:39AM local.

Pitney Blows.

mnem
"will reattempt" my scaly dwagon ass.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:20:02 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80112 on: January 19, 2021, 08:51:05 pm »
These will go in the post tomorrow if it stops raining

Amazing. I'd never have guessed that this would end up playing out this way.  :-+

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80113 on: January 19, 2021, 09:02:29 pm »
Quote from: Win10 AME
What Is This Project?

Tempting, anyway it should be expected can't upgrade Benny Hill to Einstein....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80114 on: January 19, 2021, 09:06:58 pm »
got that ebay gizmo that Mounty provided the link for in the mail yesterday.

Was busy tho, no time to tinker around.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80115 on: January 19, 2021, 09:11:51 pm »
Well I for one have nothing at all from Sony, but my boys all have PlayStations. I never knew about the Sony root kit scandal  :palm:

I have a ICF7600D that survived a Duracell attack, a clock radio with RDS (because that was the thing to have back then) and a PS3.

I have an ICF7600DS from 1987. My first one was nicked, and that was the replacement. It was a remarkable consumer product for the time. ISTR Arthur C Clarke referring to his one as a "spy radio" wince it was compact and had good performance.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80116 on: January 19, 2021, 09:12:03 pm »
Sony discussion: I had a 27 inch Sony Trinitron from 1998 until I got the flat screen about 2012 or so. Never an issue. Never needed any sort of repair and survived rough handling in several moves. I gave it away on CL for free. 

I went down to Jersey today and picked up the P6202 500MHz FET probes. These are the early model no suffix and include the PSU hardwired for each probe. The P6202A has the separate PSU and the Lemo connectors so they can be powered from the scope that has probe power.

Haven't tried them yet but unfortunately the tip is broken off one of the probes. And those tips are not removable like other Tek probes. Also have no accessories like shrouded tip protectors and such.

In looking at the tip I may try to drill it out and then solder a tip directly to the circuit board.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:16:53 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80117 on: January 19, 2021, 09:17:36 pm »
Used to be a Sony Fan but not much recently. The Telly is a Sony about 5 years old. I have two camcorders, videowalkman (multi format 8mm), 5 laptops all over 15 years old. These are the original VAIO style (heavy) run various OS, newest being XP and are pretty much dedicated to specific legacy software / tasks. My first one bought about  2000 is still going strong. It saw out 3 more modern Sony laptops, I gave up on them at that point.

One VAIO is used at work to upload firmware to a particular model of aircraft primary flight display. The upload program needs to run in a DOS window under XP Pro with DOS4GW and a "real" RS232 port.  Work IT policy does not allow unsupported OS's or users having full access  |O I'm  the only person who has visited the OEM factory in the USA and been "trained" and authorised to do it. Other users have to send the instrument back to the factory. I think I imressed them when working on the initial testing of our version of the instrument.

I also have an early E-paper reader that I bought before they were sold in the UK. The salesman in the Sony store (Stanford mall CA) ased if I lived in the UK nd when I said yes he insisted it would not work in th UK and didn't want to sell it to me. I knew you just needed  US credit card to register the account which was not a problem for me.
There is also a HDD / DVD recorder tucked away which is used for occasional dubbing of video to DVD.
Final item is used every day, a Dream Machine alarm clock / radio / CD.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:23:55 pm by Robert763 »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80118 on: January 19, 2021, 09:21:10 pm »

I have an ICF7600DS from 1987. My first one was nicked, and that was the replacement. It was a remarkable consumer product for the time. ISTR Arthur C Clarke referring to his one as a "spy radio" wince it was compact and had good performance.

It was a spy radio https://www.cryptomuseum.com/spy/sony/icf7600ds/index.htm

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80119 on: January 19, 2021, 09:21:30 pm »
This video popped up in my Youtube feed yesterday and given the discussion here, I watched it:

It definitely agrees with BD's comments about Sony's house sound.  The descriptions in that video of the Sony and the Marantz agree with how I remember both of them.  My family had one of the smaller Marantz receivers from the same period for a long time and my best friend's family had a lot of Sony stereo equipment from the 80s and 90s.  It's too bad the guy who made the video isn't an electronics engineer/technologist/test equipment geek.  If it was me putting those two receivers up against each other and I heard that difference, they'd both have gotten carted downstairs and put them on the bench with the 8903B and sweep them to get some hard and fast numbers to see if Sony goosed the ends of the frequency response to tailor the sound compared to the Marantz.

Anyhow, I did shoot some unboxing video of the 34401A and the S-A-A-2N/TinySA packages.  The camcorder wasn't a Sony though!  If there's interest, I can try to stitch something together and toss it online later if anybody wants to see.
I'm not at all surprised by his conclusion here, the Marantz receiver has now for many years been considered to be one of the top hi-fi units you can get and that quality shone through just be looking at the 2 side by side and looking inside did not disappoint either and the sheer smoothness of the sound said it all. The Sony uses IC's to reduce the cost and IC's lend themselves to machine assembly and the Marantz, clearly much more complex to assemble, was hand built.

I won one of those Sony receivers on eBay recently for repair and the sound quality when repaired ready for flipping again was just described and after extended soak tests it was becoming clear the bass was very muddied, more like a one note samba, the mid-range was just about right and the high notes too bright. Just from that short experience of the modern Sony, it was enough to turn off them for ever as well.

One of the best budget (top end of the budget) range in the 70s to 80s was Nippon Sound, fully discrete alloy and wood cabinets but these amps and receivers kicked some arse I can tell you. Not sure what happened to them, but I have a hunch that they became Yamaha but not sure.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80120 on: January 19, 2021, 09:32:34 pm »

It was a spy radio https://www.cryptomuseum.com/spy/sony/icf7600ds/index.htm

Well, well, well! :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80121 on: January 19, 2021, 09:35:28 pm »
   Yes I did that with a chair leg; I enjoyed every fucking second of it...

Tell me you put the video on youtube, you know the algo loves this stuff

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80122 on: January 19, 2021, 09:39:06 pm »
got that ebay gizmo that Mounty provided the link for in the mail yesterday.

To whom it may concern:

A gizmo is a gadget, especially one whose real name is unknown or forgotten.

new today word for me.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80123 on: January 19, 2021, 09:42:23 pm »
bd's demolition was done improperly.

In all other cases I recommend the usual ceefour ...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80124 on: January 19, 2021, 09:44:25 pm »
Correction, the probe tip is indeed removable. And it looks the same as other 5mm Tek Probes. Now I just have to find a source. Must be something out there.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf