Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14879414 times)

K0ELB, wkb and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80300 on: January 21, 2021, 07:43:33 pm »
I asked the seller of this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174597314017 multiplexer, sold as "tested 100% working" how many cycles were on the relays. I got two replies (marks for effort I suppose) "I've no idea" and then "there are twenty relays"  :palm: This guy sells mostly TE and dispite the "tesed assurance either has not put this in a logger at all or/and has no idea how to run the diagnostic routine.

I sometimes get that feeling looking at some of my AllTest listings. :-\ But as med says; still a decent gamble most of the time.

Are these worth replacing relays if they have excessive cycles and are suspect, or is the thing one of those "almost impossible to fix without damaging the PCB" type fiddly bits, so not worth trying to fix even if it was free?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #80301 on: January 21, 2021, 07:44:27 pm »

mnem
just to tease med. >:D

Yokozuna class, I suppose  :-DD :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80302 on: January 21, 2021, 07:50:39 pm »
But I was asking if you knew who it was who was making those HP DataPods; I'm almost positive it was a fellow eevBlog user.

mnem
 ???
Maybe TK. He made an adapter board to fit the 16ch PCI-E LA input in SDS2000X Plus and was able to provide the HPAK pods to go with them.
Go to the SDS2000X Plus thread and I've placed a POI link in the OP to his post.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80303 on: January 21, 2021, 07:53:45 pm »

If you keep it short normal ribbon cable and a 250R, 90.9k+8.2pF network is all you need. Woven or Twist-N-Flat cable is better for longer lengths. Apparently the 16Ch LA probes work OK too.

That's awesome to know. As I don't speak German and I didn't see while scanning the vid any shot of the full length of his finished probes... any idea how short is short enuf...?

To clarify: I mean the overall length; did he actually use that entire 1m+ length of ribbon...? Or are you saying that it should be okay as long as you keep the individual pigtails short...?

mnem
 :-/O

Click the settings cog in youtube
Click subtitles CC
Click "German (autogenerated)
Click auto translate and select language of choice

This gives a pretty good translation. I think he used the whole length but if you don't need to probably best to keep it shorter.
Using an 80  conductor IDE lead with a header breakout on the end would be a good idea too. They ar better matched than the 40 condutor ribbon.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80304 on: January 21, 2021, 07:56:10 pm »
Thanks.  :-+ My gut reaction was a foot or two (300-600mm) overall before one should be looking for the specialty woven cables, and pigtails short, like 6 inches/150mm... but that's based on nothing more than the handling of similar OEM pods. Also thought that 80 conductor IDE cable might be a good idea to look into for the same reason; knowing how much the bandwidth improved with that simple change back in the day. :-+ :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:02:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80305 on: January 21, 2021, 07:59:01 pm »
Thanks. My gut reaction was a foot or two (300-600mm) overall before one should be looking for the specialty woven cables, and pigtails short, like 6 inches/150mm... but that's based on nothing more than the handling of similar OEM pods. :-//

mnem
Yes those, TK had lots IIRC
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80306 on: January 21, 2021, 08:59:16 pm »
https://youtu.be/o9v4r3H4I2g

If you keep it short normal ribbon cable and a 250R, 90.9k+8.2pF network is all you need. Woven or Twist-N-Flat cable is better for longer lengths. Apparently the 16Ch LA probes work OK too.
That's awesome to know. As I don't speak German and I didn't see while scanning the vid any shot of the full length of his finished probes... any idea how short is short enuf...?

To clarify: I mean the overall length; did he actually use that entire 1m+ length of ribbon...? Or are you saying that it should be okay as long as you keep the individual pigtails short...?

mnem

Click the settings cog in youtube
Click subtitles CC
Click "German (autogenerated)
Click auto translate and select language of choice

This gives a pretty good translation. I think he used the whole length but if you don't need to probably best to keep it shorter.
Using an 80  conductor IDE lead with a header breakout on the end would be a good idea too. They are better matched than the 40 conductor ribbon.

Yeah, aside from the pinout used on the header, not a lot of other technical talk... tho much is lost (and made gibberish) in their machine translation. They could probably use some of Saskia's expertise. I've attached the screencap of Wolferl's pinout I made for my own reference.

The more I think aboot it, that 80-conductor IDE cable is the better solution... Then you can easily make the pigtails modular, and easily experiment with coax or twisted pair to make them a more usable length.

mnem
 :clap:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:39:07 pm by mnementh »

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80307 on: January 21, 2021, 09:00:23 pm »
Do we have here fans of frequency counters with dotted LED displays?  >:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402653938052

NAWTS as usual

ooooh, Watkins-Johnson, the NSA house brand... Interesting based on the manufacturer alone. I'd really like to lay my grubby hands on one of their VLF-HF receivers. Either that or the SRT CR91.

You mean, something like this one?  >:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133643963414

You are welcome.  :-DD

Strange I couldn't even view those items on my phone earlier, looks like we are now excluded from buying anything from that seller, oddly there are a couple of EU states in the excluded list too.  :--

David

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80308 on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:00 pm »
Anyone manage to buy this HP scaler timer module? I did ask about shipping but as usual with more unusual HP items it sold before I could reply to the seller about the shipping quote. eBay auction: #284154719345

Also someone got a bargain on those three Atec counters at $25. eBay auction: #143918205641

David

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #80309 on: January 21, 2021, 09:14:53 pm »
On the topic of TEA, here is the best I can do so far this year:     

:-DD

Typical.

mnem
Actual delivery: 2nd Tuesday next week.

Damn Dragon ... almost nailed it!!!!!
The MS8911 did arrive on Wednesday January 20th.  The CanadaPost website was updated to show expected delivery by January 21st and actual delivery on January 19th (which would have matched what the dragon said).  They had to make it look like they performed better than expected, but my earlier post captures when it should have been delivered.

Big thanks to Kosmic for the MS8911.
Other new items for the computer were shipped after the MS8911 and arrived a couple of weeks earlier.  This is another anecdote that postal services put commerce as the priority.
The RAM came from a neighbour to help out another teenage neighbour who wants to try fix an old PowerMac G5.
1155338-0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:23:15 pm by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #80310 on: January 21, 2021, 09:21:20 pm »
Anyone manage to buy this HP scaler timer module? I did ask about shipping but as usual with more unusual HP items it sold before I could reply to the seller about the shipping quote. eBay auction: #284154719345

Also someone got a bargain on those three Atec counters at $25. eBay auction: #143918205641

David

Guilty as charged, on both counts.  (no pun intended)

I'd NEVER seen one of those scaler modules before, so I jumped on it.  Will have to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced NIM box now, or figure out an alternate means of powering it.  As for the counters, I sniped a low ball bid with four seconds to go expecting someone else to get them, but was surprisingly the only bidder (they had six watchers).

I need to stay the hell off of ebay!!  ::)

I'll take and post pics of all after I receive them.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, factory

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80311 on: January 21, 2021, 09:28:56 pm »
I asked the seller of this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174597314017 multiplexer, sold as "tested 100% working" how many cycles were on the relays. I got two replies (marks for effort I suppose) "I've no idea" and then "there are twenty relays"  :palm: This guy sells mostly TE and dispite the "tesed assurance either has not put this in a logger at all or/and has no idea how to run the diagnostic routine.

I sometimes get that feeling looking at some of my AllTest listings. :-\ But as med says; still a decent gamble most of the time.

Are these worth replacing relays if they have excessive cycles and are suspect, or is the thing one of those "almost impossible to fix without damaging the PCB" type fiddly bits, so not worth trying to fix even if it was free?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Easy peasy to fix - but that one is well overpriced IMHO

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80312 on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:28 pm »
On the topic of TEA, here is the best I can do so far this year:     
:-DD Typical.

mnem
Actual delivery: 2nd Tuesday next week.

Damn Dragon ... almost nailed it!!!!!
The MS8911 did arrive on Wednesday January 20th.  The CanadaPost website was updated to show expected delivery by January 21st and actual delivery on January 19th (which would have matched what the dragon said).  They had to make it look like they performed better than expected, but my earlier post captures when it should have been delivered.

Other new items for the computer were shipped after the MS8911 and arrived a couple of weeks earlier.  This is another anecdote that postal services put commerce as the priority.
The RAM came from a neighbour to help out another teenage neighbour who wants to try fix an old PowerMac G5.

LOLOL... :-DD

Sorry for jinxin' ya, Al... but note, I did say second Tuesday next week. ;) While I have heard folks refer to Wednesday as "second Monday" and Thursday as "second Tuesday", usually it means that day next week which never comes.  :o

With that in mind... at least you finally got it.  ;D

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80313 on: January 21, 2021, 09:36:30 pm »

-Pat

Me too. I have a couple of buns in the oven.  :o :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80314 on: January 21, 2021, 09:50:30 pm »

David

I'd NEVER seen one of those scaler modules before, so I jumped on it.  Will have to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced NIM box now, or figure out an alternate means of powering it.  As for the counters, I sniped a low ball bid with four seconds to go expecting someone else to get them, but was surprisingly the only bidder (they had six watchers).

-Pat

Good to see you got them  :-+, the scaler has the option for the seventh digit too, I do wonder if the seller has any of the other bits for it, i.e. the NIM frame and any other modules.

Well I was one of the watchers on the Atec counters, maybe some of the others were also on here after I posted it last week.
Looking forward to seeing pictures when you have them.

David

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80315 on: January 21, 2021, 10:10:54 pm »
Wishing you better luck than my 8070A! Also a wee bit jeally if you got it for a sane price and fix it without massive contortions/distortions/extortions required... ;)

mnem
*punt*
200 Euro plus 5 Euro shipping. And I've asked the seller nicely for a good packaging. :)   Pics will follow ...
Oklay... considering I got my 8070A for barter equivalent of 50 Canoodlian Pesos, I will not complain; especially as I still have hope of resurrecting it.   

That said... probably not what I'd call a Jammy-worthy acquisition, even if it turns out to just be a RIFA victim; just a fair deal for excellent gear.  :-+

mnem
This pandemic-induced market weirdness really has changed our standards of what is a good deal, hasn't it...?

No, that's not jammy-git territory but I think (and hope) if the fix is an easy one, it is an imho reasonable price for this unit in this shape. I've checked the prices for new ones and they start around something 700 Euro.
I hope it'll arrive on saturday. It is coming from Berlin, usually parcels from this origin will take two days to show up on my doorstep.

We'll see.
*fingers crossed and thumbs pressed*
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80316 on: January 21, 2021, 10:29:30 pm »

David

-Pat

was watching with my finger hovering over mouse.

kept thinking ......not hp.....rear inputs......chickened out and then saw them go for 25 bucks.

actually said out loud "sure hope that was cub"

good for you!
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #80317 on: January 21, 2021, 10:39:24 pm »

David

-Pat

Good to see you got them  :-+, the scaler has the option for the seventh digit too, I do wonder if the seller has any of the other bits for it, i.e. the NIM frame and any other modules.

Well I was one of the watchers on the Atec counters, maybe some of the others were also on here after I posted it last week.
Looking forward to seeing pictures when you have them.

David

I looked at current and completed listings from him and no other bits have been listed recently/now; I'll keep an eye out in case he lists something else in the future.  And thanks for the tip on the Altecs; I expected the Freqq to snag them as they were sort of local to him and threw a bid at them only at the last moment after seeing nothing further on here from him regarding them.

-Pat
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:42:08 pm by Cubdriver »

The following users thanked this post: chris_leyson, factory

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #80318 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:43 pm »

kept thinking ......not hp.....rear inputs......chickened out and then saw them go for 25 bucks.

good for you!

LOL - I figured it was worth a shot, and for sure never expected to get them for less than the $30 I bid on them!  (Shipping at $70 was pretty dear, but three for under a C note was ok in my book.)

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80319 on: January 21, 2021, 10:49:03 pm »
Here's hoping they come packed appropriately. :-+ 

Opinions... Does Cub take the Jammy away from AVGresponding...?

mnem
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:54:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80320 on: January 21, 2021, 10:53:43 pm »

Boring mundane bit of tech work No 15798: Ceramic Cube Heater.

These are still pretty much the most amount of heat from the smallest device you can get. This is Canada; finding this one at the Thrift in working condition for 15 Canadian Pesos... it seemed imprudent to let it pass, even though it had rattly bits inside. Fortune favored that decision; the rattly bits were the nubs off of rubber feet which had broken off from old age and embrittlement. Now I just need to find some suitable replacements and a bit of filter material.   :-+

One thing I don't get is the controls; like others I've owned, there is a knob marked in degrees for thermostatic control and an Auto/Standby switch. However, the ratings plate states the output is variable from 500-1500W.  ???   This is the first time I've ever seen this. Only thing I can think is there must be some sort of PID output control to maximize efficiency vs temperature vs demand. :-//

mnem

This little beast got its first real test today... I needed to do some sorting in the new shed to make room for more crap from the storage unit. Went out, plugged in my LED lighting power & turned the little brick on (with it set up on a stack of old metal power supply boxes); then came back 30-ish minutes later. Ambient 30°F/-1°C, inside 60°F/16°C. 8x10 ft Arrow tin shed, uninsulated and doors cracked just enuf for the extension cord to pass thru.

After running over an hour, shed at set temp of 18°C/65°F, and case of heater all sides still cold to the touch. :-+ Pretty sure this really is a ceramic element heater, not just one of the cheap wirewound ones.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

mnem
*toddles off to nuke a dirtsucker*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80321 on: January 21, 2021, 11:43:17 pm »
Today's contender for the most stupid valuation of a bench meter, shocking presentation of an alleged working unit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TTI-Thurlby-Thandar-1906-Computing-multimeter-ABR335/174419946985
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #80322 on: January 22, 2021, 03:55:56 am »
Also, I received a recent impulse shopping, another microphone... A beyerdynamic M80.  It arrived in the cutest package yet. I immediately swapped the DIN plug for a XLR. Haven't tried it yet, except by driving a 400H VTVM and "eye-listening" to the meter. The connection did not match any of the standard Schaltschema für Diodenstecker, so wiring it to a XLR is sort of experimental. Which is why I got some motivation for fixing the mixer...

Neat! How does the M80 perform in this day and age? Is it worth it rewiring an old beyerdynamic or sennhesier microphone for voice recording? It's something I've contemplated, but I figured I should just save up for a proper sennheiser MKH416.
Thanks!
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80323 on: January 22, 2021, 04:22:09 am »

good for you!

LOL - I figured it was worth a shot, and for sure never expected to get them for less than the $30 I bid on them!  (Shipping at $70 was pretty dear, but three for under a C note was ok in my book.)
Here's hoping they come packed appropriately. :-+ 

Opinions... Does Cub take the Jammy away from AVGresponding...?

mnem

*rummages in the cupboard* Well, hell... we do have more. Here's yours, cubdriver!

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:25:00 am by mnementh »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #80324 on: January 22, 2021, 06:30:12 am »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf