Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14881830 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80525 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:39 pm »
I’ll argue with anyone these days. Fuck ‘em  :-DD

Oh just wait until you start dating again and meet someone that catches your interest. Your tune will change real quick.  :P :-DD

If that happens I’ve decided I’m going to be a bastard  :-DD

Er... BOFH is supposed to be a different domain!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80526 on: January 23, 2021, 08:40:00 pm »
I would indeed have spent 285 great white pesos for it. Even 300. Buttttt ...

In other news, Mira Furlan, beloved actor playing Delenn, has gone to a place where no shadows fall.

May she rest in peace. :'(

Oh... Bollocks :(
https://mobile.twitter.com/straczynski/status/1352465912255770624
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, FransW

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #80527 on: January 23, 2021, 08:44:20 pm »
The biohazardous comment was sortof two-part; wristwatches collects gunge, and particularly noxious is the gunge that accumulates in the segments of a metal-banded watch. The bigger the watch, the more gunge. I hate that part of wristwatch maintenance. Just ewwww. And ironically, this kind of chain-link watchband is my most favorite, with the TPU band of the Shine a distant second.

But in all honestly, that comment was mostly directed at the toxic orange anodized face on the one watch. I have a Panasonic Lumix (Think ToughCamera companion to a ToughBook) camera in that color; I literally had to take it off my desk and put it in the drawer because that orange aluminum just constantly distracted me. :-//

mnem
*idle thoughts of a idle dwagon*

Think I'll break out the orange Samurai and put it on this afternoon for a change of pace.  It has a matte face rather than the sunburst of the Nemo...   :P >:D

:popcorn:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80528 on: January 23, 2021, 08:44:30 pm »

The skin under my wedding band had changed color so much that it looked like I was still wearing one. It took years for that to recover.   :phew:

The emotional scars and marks never go away.  :palm:

The word "smegma" (and fridge brand Smeg) spring to mind.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80529 on: January 23, 2021, 08:57:14 pm »
Some cheap tzzzzzttt:
Baby scope doo doo do do do do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-214-storage-oscilloscope-portable-old-plug-untested/174600325097   
It will probably go for silly money like those kit ones that were local to me...

That adorable little yellow Tek 222PS we were talking aboot a while back closed at $285 Canoodlian shekels with local S/H; while it is an exceptionally nice example, I dunno that I believe it was that nice. That is almost as much as I have tied up in both my 54645A and my brand-new UTG962 arb, even allowing for exchange rate.

mnem
"Ouchies, Mister Sqweek."

I would love to have one of those pip squeaks but they always go for too much coin.

The other thing that puts me off them is the mess the batteries make of them, there was one at work in that state, someone had lost the buttons for the storage too.  :palm:

Anyway I've put a bid on the HP 54615B instead, hopefully the screen fault is repairable.

David

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80530 on: January 23, 2021, 09:30:35 pm »
Today the Tektronix AFG 1022 arrived.

The battery has 0,8V, I'll replace it.

Looks like a rechargeable one.

Yes, you are right!  :-+
I thought, it is one of the usual Lithium knob cells but this one is a MS621FE from Seiko,
which is rechargable. The datasheet is saying, that discharging down to 0V can  be possible.
I'll power-on the AFG1022 tomorrow for some time, hopefully it will come back again.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #80531 on: January 23, 2021, 09:54:11 pm »
Looks like a rechargeable one.
Yes, you are right!  :-+

I simply guessed that from the layout, looked like there's different charge and discharge  paths.

BTW.
This a rechargeable battery, too. Somewhat larger in terms of size and weight, and with built-in controller.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:59:08 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #80532 on: January 23, 2021, 10:10:42 pm »
...But in all honestly, that comment was mostly directed at the toxic orange anodized face on the one watch. I have a Panasonic Lumix (Think ToughCamera companion to a ToughBook) camera in that color; I literally had to take it off my desk and put it in the drawer because that orange aluminum just constantly distracted me. :-//

mnem
*idle thoughts of a idle dwagon*
Think I'll break out the orange Samurai and put it on this afternoon for a change of pace.  It has a matte face rather than the sunburst of the Nemo...   :P >:D   

:popcorn:   -Pat

Aaaaaaaahhhh!!! Our eyessss!!! It burnssss.... It burns usss and we hatessss it!!!! Take it off! You mussssst take it offff!!!   :scared:

mnem
*juddering in the corner*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80533 on: January 23, 2021, 11:19:27 pm »
Some cheap tzzzzzttt:
Baby scope doo doo do do do do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-214-storage-oscilloscope-portable-old-plug-untested/174600325097   
It will probably go for silly money like those kit ones that were local to me...

That adorable little yellow Tek 222PS we were talking aboot a while back closed at $285 Canoodlian shekels with local S/H; while it is an exceptionally nice example, I dunno that I believe it was that nice. That is almost as much as I have tied up in both my 54645A and my brand-new UTG962 arb, even allowing for exchange rate.

mnem
"Ouchies, Mister Sqweek."

I would love to have one of those pip squeaks but they always go for too much coin.

The other thing that puts me off them is the mess the batteries make of them, there was one at work in that state, someone had lost the buttons for the storage too.  :palm:

Anyway I've put a bid on the HP 54615B instead, hopefully the screen fault is repairable.

David

Replace all the electrolytics on the screen assembly and it’ll probably be fine. That looks like it’s lost vsync. That and squashed displays are common problems.

Just to note the calibration is unprotected on that one which indicates futzing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:21:16 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80534 on: January 23, 2021, 11:39:10 pm »
Futzing = A Gorilla's favorite activity.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80535 on: January 23, 2021, 11:45:51 pm »
Futzing = A Gorilla's favorite activity.

Also likely derived from the German form of “cunt” (Fotze) which suggests the sort of person who was in the scope already  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80536 on: January 24, 2021, 01:04:32 am »
...Anyway I've put a bid on the HP 54615B instead, hopefully the screen fault is repairable.   

David
Replace all the electrolytics on the screen assembly and it’ll probably be fine. That looks like it’s lost vsync. That and squashed displays are common problems.

Just to note the calibration is unprotected on that one which indicates futzing.

Ehhh... it's easy to hit if you take the back off for any reason; if the primate(s) opened it up to see if they could fix the nasty screen, might very well have done it accidentally & cal wasn't effed with.  :-//  And that one has the TETRIS game cartridge installed.  >:D

mnem
*kijiji-in*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:09:45 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #80537 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:06 am »
Hand the current generation an analog clock and ask them to tell you what time it is. It's amazing that many of them can't.

I have 2 analog clocks on the wall in my office.  A 1940's era Seth Thomas Maritime Commission wall clock that needs  a serious mechanical restoration so I only wind it up once in a while.  The other is a cheap as chips 24 hour analog clock.  Drives Mrs. GreyWoolfe crazy and she is the one who is not only a military brat, but her first ex husband was military.  22 years as a ham radio operator and 16 years working for a company that tracks everything in military time, I'm just used to it. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #80538 on: January 24, 2021, 09:27:49 am »
Today the Tektronix AFG 1022 arrived.

Snip...

Will replace the battery next week and investigate, why channel 2 is failing occasionally.

Besides that, I'm a happy camper.  :-+ :D

Try to let it run for a day or so, that battery is rechargeable:

https://www.sii.co.jp/en/me/datasheets/ms-rechargeable/ms621fe/

I own a Sony digital recording deck (PCM-D50) with such a rechargeable lithium battery that is still powering the RTC after many years.

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80539 on: January 24, 2021, 10:39:33 am »
Hand the current generation an analog clock and ask them to tell you what time it is. It's amazing that many of them can't.

I have 2 analog clocks on the wall in my office.  A 1940's era Seth Thomas Maritime Commission wall clock that needs  a serious mechanical restoration so I only wind it up once in a while.  The other is a cheap as chips 24 hour analog clock.  Drives Mrs. GreyWoolfe crazy and she is the one who is not only a military brat, but her first ex husband was military.  22 years as a ham radio operator and 16 years working for a company that tracks everything in military time, I'm just used to it.

AM/PM is something I had to start thinking about when I started interacting with people over the Internet. Before that, I was fully immersed in a society where everyone knew and effortlessly (more or less) converted between 12- and 24-hour formats on the fly. I still do. And I don't think Europeans -- as individuals -- are smarter than US citizens. We simply have different kinds of technical debt in our measurement and enumeration systems. And that, I believe, is borne out of the amount of collaboration and central coördination going on in society. I would add the observation that both 24h time labels and metric only have been introduced in the DoD and to some extent in scinence as empirical indicators of the coördination required.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80540 on: January 24, 2021, 10:56:54 am »

AM/PM is something I had to start thinking about when I started interacting with people over the Internet. Before that, I was fully immersed in a society where everyone knew and effortlessly (more or less) converted between 12- and 24-hour formats on the fly. I still do. And I don't think Europeans -- as individuals -- are smarter than US citizens. We simply have different kinds of technical debt in our measurement and enumeration systems. And that, I believe, is borne out of the amount of collaboration and central coördination going on in society. I would add the observation that both 24h time labels and metric only have been introduced in the DoD and to some extent in scinence as empirical indicators of the coördination required.

You're right. Use of the 24 hour clock format among the general population is not common here. If I told someone I'd meet them at 18:00 hours (6:00 PM) I would get puzzled looks. 911 emergency dispatch and all police/fire agencies use it and since I do a lot of listening to their transmissions I'm used to it and go back and forth seamlessly.

But I've never had to use a 24 hour analog clock. I'm sure it would take me a few seconds to figure it out.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80541 on: January 24, 2021, 11:04:01 am »
Tell me, please, how does the average US American react to dates written like 2021-01-24? Having spent far too much of my life using computers to sort and otherwise disentangle dates, I now write it everywhere I'm not specifically required t use another format. Everyone (i.e. ordinary folk) seems to accept it without comment here

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80542 on: January 24, 2021, 11:04:34 am »
I think USPS is setting themselves up for a fail but we will see. This is the Leeds and Northrup 4747 resistance box.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80543 on: January 24, 2021, 11:12:20 am »
Tell me, please, how does the average US American react to dates written like 2021-01-24? Having spent far too much of my life using computers to sort and otherwise disentangle dates, I now write it everywhere I'm not specifically required t use another format. Everyone (i.e. ordinary folk) seems to accept it without comment here

Yep, I really don't understand how we started using format month/day/year as apposed to most others year/day/month. If you are involved in international activities you're used to it....like airline pilots for example. But the average Joe Dirt can be very much confused by it and show up for an appointment in the wrong month.  :palm:   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:18:21 am by med6753 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80544 on: January 24, 2021, 12:08:09 pm »

I've seen British people confused by 2021-01-24 style dates, it takes some people several minutes to work it out.

Yep, I really don't understand how we started using format month/day/year as apposed to most others year/day/month. If you are involved in international activities you're used to it....like airline pilots for example. But the average Joe Dirt can be very much confused by it and show up for an appointment in the wrong month.  :palm:   

Now you're being confused by it. The standard British, and most European country's way of writing the date is year/month/day, not "year/day/month" as you've written.

The ISO date format (YYYY-MM-DD) is, IMNSHO, superior in every regard to all the other ways of writing the date, not least because it has a natural monotonic sorting order if just treated as a decimal number (ignoring the punctuation).

In other news. We're getting what nowadays passes for snow in London. Hardly worth the weather even bothering if that's all it's going to do.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80545 on: January 24, 2021, 12:13:09 pm »

It is in ISO 8601...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80546 on: January 24, 2021, 12:43:08 pm »
Snow here finally.

Attached this morning’s work: one snow demon.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80547 on: January 24, 2021, 12:53:39 pm »
Snow here finally.

Nice Nixodaemon. I see you also made Cryo, his pet poop.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:59:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80548 on: January 24, 2021, 01:19:53 pm »

Now you're being confused by it. The standard British, and most European country's way of writing the date is year/month/day, not "year/day/month" as you've written.

OK, then how come old handwritten letters were format day/month/year?

I did originally post it in the format you are correcting me towards but I changed it to match what nfmax had written.

The ISO date format (YYYY-MM-DD) is, IMNSHO, superior in every regard to all the other ways of writing the date, not least because it has a natural monotonic sorting order if just treated as a decimal number (ignoring the punctuation).

Of course it's superior in every regard. It's British.  :palm:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80549 on: January 24, 2021, 01:20:04 pm »
Snow here finally.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf