Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14925899 times)

Vgkid and 270 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80725 on: January 25, 2021, 09:24:12 pm »

Oh, and who left that Racal counter lying around on the forum? Someone's liable to pick it up!   :rant:

Yes. Yes I did, and it's your fault.[/b]
[/color]

Glad I could assist it saving it from those evil horologist butchers.  :-+

David

Yes, I would never butcher an horologist, it's against my principles.

I plan to use the nixies from the counter to turn an old AVO 8 into a clock, possibly with a big filament lamp on top.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #80726 on: January 25, 2021, 09:30:57 pm »
FPGA card running stable for 28 hours straight now under full load ...

(yes, mining Ethereum, I did not have any other readily available bitstream).
But that means it works.
Just a couple of parameters:
Clock 505 MHz, chip temp about 50 C, HBM about 61C VCCINT at 0.9V and about 50 - 60 A, total power consumption 110W.
Hashrate about the same as a 3060TI which is clocking somewhat higher (1700 MHz).

as I said: have received the board files and will start setting up vivado for that.

Have ordered one of the unobtaineum RTX3070 and will look at the CUDA stuff later on.

Next steps: start working with my Zedboard Dev system and get pynq to work.
Then check if I can do some image recognition with that board ...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #80727 on: January 25, 2021, 10:00:25 pm »
6237B update:

Shipping initiated; the first leg is UPS Ground to Erlanger.

Edit: I of course went into the jazz organ rabbit hole, currently listening to "Big Booty Bounce" by Jimmy McGriff.  All I need now is a 6-lane urban motorway in Philly, and a two-tone brown gas-guzzler with a suspension soft like the nightmare version of TE packaging.
   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pontiac-Gwynn-Prix-1-Off-Concept-car-Unique-piece-of-American-History-swap-px/284159532520?hash=item42293a5de8:g:lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF
:wtf:  :o   I've been a Pontiac guy since I was a kid, but always thought the GP from that era was a rather ugly car.  That thing is an order of magnitude or three WORSE as far as I'm concerned!  <imagine puking emoji here>

-Pat

I miss my '66 Catalina... mine was a rustbucket 4-door, but it had that frontend a mile deep... 389 and PowerSlide slushbox, and the interior was effing mint 30 years old. Like going down the road in your living room.  :-DD

mnem
*sigh*
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:04:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #80728 on: January 25, 2021, 10:23:29 pm »
@bd glad to hear that things are coming to pass👍, be careful with long term use of senna compounds - the gut can get 'addicted'. Sorbitol, lactulose or movicol ($) thought to be better. Haribo here we come. 👍

I too have just got out of hospital - fell off my mountain bike (bloody kangaroo jumped out in front - in a National Park) unfortunately I think I broke one of his legs - he couldn't hop away - my riding buddy rang the Ranger😞.
I stopped myself using my right elbow and knee (saves the brake pads 😜) . I have seen my kneecap directly for the first time. Went to theatre for a scrub out of both wounds, on antibiotics for 3 weeks, just moping around home now and getting grumpier than usual.
Edit - have lots of photos 😜, the surgeon did a bloody good job, silk purse from a sow's ear, 👍

Can't say I ever hit a kangaroo during a mountain bike ride.  Ouch!

The worst I even hit was a frog or a snake and on just one occasion a bat.  The bat was on a night right and smacked right against the helmet, so no damage to me, just a  :wtf: moment.
Actually, the most painful mountain bike incident was not snapping a handlebar (just roll with it...), but getting unbalanced and gently falling into a cactus in Colorado .... ouch ouch ouch  :--

Hope you recover quickly!

@bd, hope you get back home quickly as planned!
Thanks for the thoughts @tau and @al

- 'gently rolling onto a cactus' - you could probably see it coming for what would have seemed like a week in slow motion - and nothing you could do about it once you are over centre, ouch+++,
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80729 on: January 25, 2021, 10:37:33 pm »
This one makes me angry. Who thought this mod was a good idea?!?!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184634587029
That is hideous, just how much control did they want over it then FFS. I admit that I did do a similar bodge once on a Philips bench meter, but that was necessary because the part of the fascia where the pot would be mounted had suffered the normal Philips plastic rot, and it was the only to bring the meter back into normal service.  :palm:

@bd139, hows it going now, do you think that you'll be home tomorrow?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80730 on: January 25, 2021, 10:45:26 pm »

Oh, and who left that Racal counter lying around on the forum? Someone's liable to pick it up!   :rant:

Yes. Yes I did, and it's your fault.[/b]
[/color]

Glad I could assist it saving it from those evil horologist butchers.  :-+

David

Yes, I would never butcher an horologist, it's against my principles.

I plan to use the nixies from the counter to turn an old AVO 8 into a clock, possibly with a big filament lamp on top.

WTF, you steampunk artist you!!!!!!  :palm: Forget the lamp just do the clock.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80731 on: January 25, 2021, 11:21:24 pm »
This one makes me angry. Who thought this mod was a good idea?!?!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184634587029

bd, glad to hear read treatment was successful and you're well again, as one can see reading your above post.   :)
Read it while catchin' up for today.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:51:45 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80732 on: January 26, 2021, 12:28:54 am »
Ebay and Brexit moan, I ordered a replacement knob to fit onto a cast iron casserole dish from a seller on eBay who would appear to be located in East London, it was listed as being £8.34 and free P&P but the checkout asked for £10.01. The seller claimed that it was due to Brexit and our government forcing him to collect the 20% VAT for them. That is fair enough if he is based outside the UK, in which case I think that eBay should really be forcing eBay shops to declare the true location of their stocks, so it does not allow profiteering to take place.  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80733 on: January 26, 2021, 12:45:45 am »
You can report items where the location is misrepresented:

(This seller, sketchy as frig though he may be, wasn't misrepresenting the location, I didn't actually submit the report.  :) )
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #80734 on: January 26, 2021, 01:05:33 am »

(This seller, sketchy as frig though he may be, wasn't misrepresenting the location, I didn't actually submit the report.  :) )

The problem with evilbay reporting is you can only report one item at a time. I ran across one last week with several thousand listings in "Pakistan, Australia" evilbays location service had them 100km from me  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80735 on: January 26, 2021, 02:03:16 am »

He's going to love you using his item as an example like this  ;) :-DD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:58:15 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80736 on: January 26, 2021, 03:41:55 am »
Nice little HP 34401a on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-6-1-2-Digital-Multimeter-model-34401A-USED/133644065704

In bonus, you get part of a GPIB cable  :-DD

Seriously is this how they disassemble TE racks ? with a huge cutter but no screw driver  ?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80737 on: January 26, 2021, 03:44:10 am »
Be glad they didn't smash it off with a hammer.  :palm:

mnem
As Frank Perdue once said... "Parts is parts."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80738 on: January 26, 2021, 04:07:06 am »
Did not notice at first. Then it was.  :o :scared:

Those GPIB cables ain't exactly cheap.   ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80739 on: January 26, 2021, 04:11:35 am »
6237B update:

Edit: I of course went into the jazz organ rabbit hole, currently listening to "Big Booty Bounce" by Jimmy McGriff.  All I need now is a 6-lane urban motorway in Philly, and a two-tone brown gas-guzzler with a suspension soft like the nightmare version of TE packaging.
   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pontiac-Gwynn-Prix-1-Off-Concept-car-Unique-piece-of-American-History-swap-px/284159532520?hash=item42293a5de8:g:lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF
:wtf:  :o   I've been a Pontiac guy since I was a kid, but always thought the GP from that era was a rather ugly car.  That thing is an order of magnitude or three WORSE as far as I'm concerned!  <imagine puking emoji here>

-Pat

I miss my '66 Catalina... mine was a rustbucket 4-door, but it had that frontend a mile deep... 389 and PowerSlide slushbox, and the interior was effing mint 30 years old. Like going down the road in your living room.  :-DD

mnem
*sigh*

All the Poncho needs is a roof mounted .50 cal and you got yourself a PT boat.

"Slip and slide with Powerglide"

I had a '64 Poncho Tempest with a 326/quad and Powerglide. 280hp was not kind to that tranny. Lasted 2 weeks in my hot little hands and blew up.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 04:15:35 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80740 on: January 26, 2021, 04:12:01 am »
Tripped over this while I was looking at that 34401A:

eBay auction: #203255231123

Quote from: Gurrgle Search: 8116A E51
Excerpt From 8116A Service Manual

Shaper Output State
Test E51
The shaper IC U401 is not able to supply positive output when -90"
startphase and complement output mode are selected with triangle
waveform (VCO not triggered).   Possible faults:

VCO (Slope) IC Al: U201
Waveform switching Al: U104
Reference voltage switching Al: U204
Amplitude DAC A2: U27, U28, U17
Refer to Chapter 10.5, Chapter 10.3 and Chapter 10.4.

Partial manual attached is all I could find quickly; appears truncated just before schematics section. (Of course) |O

Also this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-8116a-func-gen-with-e51-u401-shaper-toast/

Have fun!  >:D

mnem
Yes, I am that bored.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 04:17:58 am by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80741 on: January 26, 2021, 06:48:37 am »
Tripped over this while I was looking at that 34401A:

That seller is where I bought my 6237B. Let's see where that transaction ends; there's as noted more where it came from, and I'm willing to take the plunge before the collective empties that lot. Shame he's not got any -hp- 427, or BD could join up in the testing  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80742 on: January 26, 2021, 07:45:27 am »

Hahahaha. That gave me a much needed laugh this morning.

Back story of that item. Was given to me by the ultimate gorilla, a relative. “Hey you like Apple stuff yeah? Well I’ve got some keyboards I don’t use”. The box arrives. One nicely boxed magic keyboard and about 5 clone keyboards. I ask myself well how does one non technical user end up with so many keyboards. Then I test one and find out.  :palm:

This is the person yesterday who texted me to help him with an issue with an SSD which he turns out to have blown up somehow.

Being booted out today by the looks. Phew. Condition is I need to poop apparently  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:47:25 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80743 on: January 26, 2021, 08:04:30 am »
6237B update:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF/s-l1600.jpg[/img]]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pontiac-Gwynn-Prix-1-Off-Concept-car-Unique-piece-of-American-History-swap-px/284159532520?hash=item42293a5de8:g:lPwAAOSwjkxgDelF

My God! That thing is ugly! :o

The aerial view doesn't even hint at the horror, in fact from that perspective, it looks a lot like the Oldsmobile one of the local pimps drove, back in the day.

He was a considerate employer, though, you would see him late at night, picking up the ladies from the "knocker shop" to ferry them home in it. ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80744 on: January 26, 2021, 08:06:20 am »

Being booted out today by the looks. Phew. Condition is I need to poop apparently  :-DD

TMI but I'm glad you're better and getting the boot.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #80745 on: January 26, 2021, 08:51:30 am »
6237B update:

-Pat

mnem
*sigh*

All the Poncho needs is a roof mounted .50 cal and you got yourself a PT boat.

"Slip and slide with Powerglide"

I had a '64 Poncho Tempest with a 326/quad and Powerglide. 280hp was not kind to that tranny. Lasted 2 weeks in my hot little hands and blew up.

My first was a hand-me-down '69 four door Catalina with a high compression 400-2V and a TH400 trans.  My senior year of HS the transmission started slipping, so I of course dropped it (in the dead of winter) to rebuild it.  No one thought I'd be successful, so while I was working on it my uncle bought a '65 Bonneville ragtop with a 389 and a Carter AFB under its acre-sized hood from his neighbor for $200 with the intent that I'd pull the transmission from that and put it in the Catalina.  I like the Bonneville, too, and kept it on the road while fixing the Cat.  I then drove both for the next 8-10 years, fixing them alternately when they broke.  The Catalina finally started getting crazy electrical gremlins and died at work 30 miles from home, so I decided it was time to let it go.  Drove the Bonneville for a while longer, but it had terminal cancer from the road salt in the northeast, and after it sat for several years I finally let it go, too.  Then less than two years later took some welding classes and have been kicking myself ever since as I could have fixed it.  It was a damned cool old beast.  I have pictures of both somewhere, but can't lay hands on them at the moment.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80746 on: January 26, 2021, 08:56:59 am »
My favourite jazz channel is the Danish public service radio jazz channel DR P8 Jazz.

This works even behing the company proxy...  :-X well I should not do that. With all that VPN connections the WAN is pretty under load and streaming music is not a good idea in this contest...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #80747 on: January 26, 2021, 09:12:25 am »
TBH I don't care when I am streaming across my cable internet with my IP via my external audio streamer that has its own ethernet connection going to my own router.

While our company blocks streaming services right now (it's their right to do so), my private hook up does not. No need to fool around with strange settings and tunnel configs.

If anyone wants a detailed how to for these things drop me a PN. Available with Toslink or dedicated integrated DAC.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo, Zucca

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80748 on: January 26, 2021, 09:41:57 am »
6237B update:

-Pat

mnem
*sigh*
65-66 Catalina are very nice  ... probably the best years as well for the little sister the GTO.

I'm owning the other GM cousin
1158138-0

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80749 on: January 26, 2021, 09:43:16 am »
Ebay and Brexit moan, I ordered a replacement knob to fit onto a cast iron casserole dish from a seller on eBay who would appear to be located in East London, it was listed as being £8.34 and free P&P but the checkout asked for £10.01. The seller claimed that it was due to Brexit and our government forcing him to collect the 20% VAT for them. That is fair enough if he is based outside the UK, in which case I think that eBay should really be forcing eBay shops to declare the true location of their stocks, so it does not allow profiteering to take place.  :rant:

Sounds like this is nothing to do with Brexit. Rather it s the UK government E-commerce act which supposedly is making sites like ebay collect VAT on sales from UK sellers who are not VAT registered. This applies to goods in the UK. So the seller does not get back the VAT that thay paid for their stock or materials but the goverment get 20%. One thing is ebay is a retail outlet and UK law says retail prices must include VAT so ebay should be adding it up front, or at least warning you, not adding 20% at checkout.  :rant:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf