Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14916705 times)

Wolfgang and 253 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80875 on: January 28, 2021, 03:05:25 am »
In other news, the M.2 slot where the XPC Adata SSD blew up, survived. A WD is recognized immediately.

Nice tiny little calculator. i5-8400, 32GB mem, 1660 ti, NVME SSD in an ITX package.

This is quite funny. I was just talking to someone who blew up an Adata NVMe. Starting to think it’s a problem with those drives. I usually blame the guy for it because everything he touches turns to shit but this one might not be on him.

Whew!  For a second, I thought you were talking about me.  However, I did not blow up the Adata SDD, it was SWMBO's mother .... I swear it was her ! :rant:  (I got to fix it though  :scared: )

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #80876 on: January 28, 2021, 05:43:13 am »
Today arrival, no known affiliations with a well-know TEA fellow ...

8)

Seen enough of them to give me nightmares this week. Hide them please  :scared: :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #80877 on: January 28, 2021, 06:30:05 am »
Funnily enough I did have a string of white cars...

In TE news I restrained myself from bidding on a marginally (at best) useful RS process calibrator. The seller seems to have a metric tonne of RS stuff, all listed as parts only.
My guess is he works at an RS warehouse and "liberates" certain returns.

That process calibrator sounds more like an old obsolete product as RS don't do their own brand ones any more. You could do a lot worse than grab one of these beasties which is what I'm using to calibrate / test my meters since my AD584-M died recently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MASTECH-MS7221-Voltage-Current-Calibrator/dp/B0094CLH4I/ref=sr_1_187?dchild=1&keywords=process+calibrator.&qid=1611779897&sr=8-187

Nope, it was a current model the RS Pro 133, around a monkey plus vodka and tonic retail. Went for £62 + shipping in the end, with possible battery/charger issues (built in Li-ion).

thinking about flipping a car and a bike. anyone interested in an X150 type XKR which is utterly underpowered ?

Also have some milwaukee iron (they have not invented steel over there ...)

LHD? NTY.

Next will be an Alfa 156, or possibly 147.

How about this Alfa?

No, that's even more of a hairdresser's car than the TT.

Oh dear oh dear, Saskia will not be pleased with me... I am in the process of buying an old banger (hopefully not literally) of an AUDI.

TT 1.8T Quattro on an X plate (2000), bit scruffy but not bad for a bag of sand, delivered.

Mid life crisis?  :-DD

Not really, I've had sports cars before.
I'm more in the process of ticking cars off the bucket list at the moment. This will be kept for 6 months or so before going back on the Autoshite forum for sale. Next will be an Alfa 156, or possibly 147.

With an Alfa you'll always be late turning up, or you'll not turn up anywhere because you'll always be breaking down.  :-DD :-DD

Nope, it'll be a second car, like the TT, so potential unreliability will be an irritation, no more.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80878 on: January 28, 2021, 08:13:03 am »
Funnily enough I did have a string of white cars...

In TE news I restrained myself from bidding on a marginally (at best) useful RS process calibrator. The seller seems to have a metric tonne of RS stuff, all listed as parts only.
My guess is he works at an RS warehouse and "liberates" certain returns.

Looks more like he bought a pallet of customer returns  than nicked stuff judging from his other listings.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80879 on: January 28, 2021, 08:31:52 am »

Oh dear oh dear, Saskia will not be pleased with me... I am in the process of buying an old banger (hopefully not literally) of an AUDI.

TT 1.8T Quattro on an X plate (2000), bit scruffy but not bad for a bag of sand, delivered.

Mid life crisis?  :-DD

Not really, I've had sports cars before.
I'm more in the process of ticking cars off the bucket list at the moment. This will be kept for 6 months or so before going back on the Autoshite forum for sale. Next will be an Alfa 156, or possibly 147.

With an Alfa you'll always be late turning up, or you'll not turn up anywhere because you'll always be breaking down.  :-DD :-DD

Nope, it'll be a second car, like the TT, so potential unreliability will be an irritation, no more.

You guys can keep your expensive to repair Germans and temperamental Italians. Want cheap and RELIABLE fun? Japanese all the way. And it adapts easily to your driving style. Drive like an old lady and get 35+ MPG or beat on it all day bumping the 6800 RPM redline and it won't complain. (In fact, Honda motors love to rev). It may not have the appeal of an Audi or Alfa but I guarantee you will get to your destination.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80880 on: January 28, 2021, 09:03:08 am »
You guys can keep your expensive to repair Germans and temperamental Italians. Want cheap and RELIABLE fun? Japanese all the way. And it adapts easily to your driving style. Drive like an old lady and get 35+ MPG or beat on it all day bumping the 6800 RPM redline and it won't complain. (In fact, Honda motors love to rev). It may not have the appeal of an Audi or Alfa but I guarantee you will get to your destination.

Nah, you can keep your Japanese cars, especially Honda's with their V-tech engines which only deliver a reasonable chunk of torque at high revs, my German Audi engine produces 350NM of torque at an astonishing 1750RPM, so at a tad over twice idle speed, I get maximum torque delivered to the wheels. Power that you feel at city speeds as well, whats not to love  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80881 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:00 am »
Also doesn’t work with Japanese cars: https://youtu.be/5IpOALbtWbM

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80882 on: January 28, 2021, 09:15:47 am »
Hollyyyy what is happening with GameStop....  :-DD

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:17:47 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80883 on: January 28, 2021, 09:21:35 am »
Yep, maximum HP on the Civic is at 6100 RPM. That's all part of the fun. Row the gearbox and keep the rev's up. I don't do much city driving so down low torque to race from traffic light to traffic light isn't part of the game plan. Twisting roads and no traffic is where it shines.

And why the CR-V is so unsatisfying to drive. A 2.4 liter motor tied to a fumbling 5 speed automatic. And no ability to shift it manually even if you wanted to. It just screams for a 5 or 6 speed manual gearbox but Honda decided not for the American market because we're a bunch of lazy asses.   

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80884 on: January 28, 2021, 09:24:11 am »

Reddit users are destroying a fund who were trying to short GameStop. And they’re doing it successfully so far. This is a massive fuck you to the fundy scum  :-DD

Overview: https://m.imgur.com/a/DCCpuZA

A quick political statement about it as well https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l6omry/an_open_letter_to_melvin_capital_cnbc_boomers_and/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #80885 on: January 28, 2021, 09:24:24 am »

Sounds like from the reporting the biggest losers were the short selling Hedge Fund mob  :-DD Going to be ugly going down to reality again and hope the company comes out the other side.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80886 on: January 28, 2021, 09:26:37 am »

Bailout 'cause 2big2fail in 3, 2, 1...
I wanted to enjoy it as well a week ago from DE, but no such joy for pEUons.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80887 on: January 28, 2021, 09:33:26 am »
Yep, maximum HP on the Civic is at 6100 RPM. That's all part of the fun. Row the gearbox and keep the rev's up. I don't do much city driving so down low torque to race from traffic light to traffic light isn't part of the game plan. Twisting roads and no traffic is where it shines.

And why the CR-V is so unsatisfying to drive. A 2.4 liter motor tied to a fumbling 5 speed automatic. And no ability to shift it manually even if you wanted to. It just screams for a 5 or 6 speed manual gearbox but Honda decided not for the American market because we're a bunch of lazy asses.   
Still have to disagree, I have driven Honda Accords and Civics all have Vtec engines with manual boxes, whereas mine is 6 speed automatic with silky smooth changes and I think it is a hoot to drive either in city or on twisting roads with no traffic, it still puts a smile on my face whatever, despite it being a big barge of a car. It never feels big until you reverse it and look over your shoulder and realise how far away the rear window is and that doesnt happen very often as it has a perfectly good rearview mirror and parking sensors all round.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80888 on: January 28, 2021, 09:37:11 am »

Reddit users are destroying a fund who were trying to short GameStop. And they’re doing it successfully so far. This is a massive fuck you to the fundy scum  :-DD

A quick political statement about it as well https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l6omry/an_open_letter_to_melvin_capital_cnbc_boomers_and/

So when do the greedy bastards start jumping out windows?  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80889 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:26 am »

Still have to disagree, I have driven Honda Accords and Civics all have Vtec engines with manual boxes, whereas mine is 6 speed automatic with silky smooth changes and I think it is a hoot to drive either in city or on twisting roads with no traffic, it still puts a smile on my face whatever, despite it being a big barge of a car. It never feels big until you reverse it and look over your shoulder and realise how far away the rear window is and that doesnt happen very often as it has a perfectly good rearview mirror and parking sensors all round.

Well exactly. Your Audi motor with low down torque is an excellent fit to an automatic transmission. A high rev'ing Honda motor is not and every time I drive the CR-V I'm painfully reminded of that.   

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80890 on: January 28, 2021, 09:44:42 am »

They won’t. They’ll borrow off other funds, try and steamroll everyone and burn everyone else down with them. When contracts are up they’ll go with their crocodile smiles to the regulatory bodies and tell them it was unfair that some kids beat them and stole their cookies and they don’t have enough money to pay up. Then retire to suburbia on their modest few million in pocket they got from insider trading, fraud elsewhere and stealing the office assets. Eventually this will lead to regulation which allows them to carry on with their shifty behaviour to the exclusion of everyone else.  Then they’ll start a new fund up doing the same shit again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:47:26 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80891 on: January 28, 2021, 09:51:08 am »

HODL!   :-DD   :-DD

Louis Rossman about this:

https://youtu.be/DdpVzzXWOTA
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80892 on: January 28, 2021, 09:59:19 am »
Melvin Capital Management, one of a number of Wall Street firms that stood to make money for investors if GameStop’s shares plummet, told CNBC it has closed out its short position after taking a huge loss.

The hedge fund, which has lost 30% of the $12.5bn (£9.1bn) it manages this year, was outmaneuvered by an army of Reddit users from the forum “Wall Street Bets”. The group sought to punish the financial giants betting against GameStop by sending the chain’s shares soaring.

Lets all have a communal cry  >:D Serves the Leeches right, the report I heard is they had to borrow $Billions because of their position  :-DD

Andrew Left, Citron’s founder, has now given up shorting the stock citing harassment by GameStop supporters, according to CNN. Melvin Capital threw in the towel just days after raising a $2.75bn bailout from backers including Point72 Asset Management, run by the New York Mets owner, Steve Cohen.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80893 on: January 28, 2021, 10:11:15 am »
Just wait until mnem wakes up and see's all this. My laptop will burst into flames.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80894 on: January 28, 2021, 10:16:20 am »
Just wait until mnem wakes up and see's all this. My laptop will burst into flames.  :palm:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80895 on: January 28, 2021, 10:18:39 am »
Its a good news story - party time unless he farts or snorts a flame I guess ;)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80896 on: January 28, 2021, 10:24:32 am »
Bring it. I'm ready.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #80897 on: January 28, 2021, 11:01:29 am »

There's a queu. They need to process the folk from the Tesla Shorters first.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80898 on: January 28, 2021, 11:51:19 am »
Bring it. I'm ready.  :P :-DD

Worried about Dwagons in your threads. Granny in Oz has a Snake in her PJ's  :o

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80899 on: January 28, 2021, 02:05:35 pm »
They won’t. They’ll borrow off other funds, try and steamroll everyone and burn everyone else down with them. When contracts are up they’ll go with their crocodile smiles to the regulatory bodies and tell them it was unfair that some kids beat them and stole their cookies and they don’t have enough money to pay up. Then retire to suburbia on their modest few million in pocket they got from insider trading, fraud elsewhere and stealing the office assets. Eventually this will lead to regulation which allows them to carry on with their shifty behaviour to the exclusion of everyone else.  Then they’ll start a new fund up doing the same shit again.

Since you work in finance, do you have them around you?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf