Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14828760 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #825 on: March 20, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »
Anti end curl-uppy prevention strategy items ...

Hey, no getting all technical on us now. :-DD

On this forum, one of the, if not the, biggest test equipment forum on the planet, I like to keep things technical and avoid joking around.  :D
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Berni, bitseeker

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #826 on: March 21, 2017, 07:08:56 pm »
Yes it sucks.  This is still how it looks after nearly 48 hours of laying on the table.  I'm not happy with the way it turned out especially for $60 plus 20 shipping.

What about contact or rubber cement?

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #827 on: March 21, 2017, 08:18:11 pm »
After sending the pics to the seller, they agreed that it should not have been like that at all.   They offered either partial refund or a replacement mat.   I was hoping that it could be saved, as I hate waste.  After trying with a hair dryer and getting the room hot, the ripples still had not gotten better, so  I opted for a replacement mat and they will unroll and check it before sending.   Kudos to the seller for stepping up and 'straightening' out this problem.

I'll finally have that TEA party on the mat!!  Now how do I stop looking at Ebay and Craigslist?   It's killing me!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:22:48 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #828 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:26 pm »
After sending the pics to the seller, they agreed that it should not have been like that at all.   They offered either partial refund or a replacement mat.   I was hoping that it could be saved, as I hate waste.  After trying with a hair dryer and getting the room hot, the ripples still had not gotten better, so  I opted for a replacement mat and they will unroll and check it before sending.   Kudos to the seller for stepping up and 'straightening' out this problem.

I'll finally have that TEA party on the mat!!  Now how do I stop looking at Ebay and Craigslist?   It's killing me!

:-DD :-DD  You don't!   :-DD :-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #829 on: March 21, 2017, 11:43:57 pm »
Now how do I stop looking at Ebay and Craigslist?   It's killing me!

If we could answer that question, we wouldn't be here! :-DD

Speaking of which, I almost snagged a 6 GHz HP scope for $500. Oh, well. "The one that got away."
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #830 on: March 22, 2017, 12:19:06 am »
Now how do I stop looking at Ebay and Craigslist?   It's killing me!

Steady ....

Take a deep breath and go for a walk outside.  Look around and take in the wonders of nature.  Take another deep breath and let it out slowly.  This is to clear your head and allow your mind to come to its senses.

Then turn around and walk straight back to your computer - and toss a coin.  Heads for eBay and tails for Craigslist.

Feel better?!!!

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ, Cubdriver

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #831 on: March 22, 2017, 12:47:33 am »
Excellent advice Brumby!
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #832 on: March 22, 2017, 12:54:24 am »

Too late - you've fallen down the rabbit hole. Might as well enjoy it.  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #833 on: March 22, 2017, 05:06:12 am »
Wow.  The choice between another hit or a half way house.    Next thing you know, I'll be on the street in rags holding a sign that says "Will work for components" or "Electronically disabled"

sigh
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #834 on: March 22, 2017, 11:00:22 am »
... "Electronically disabled"
I like it! :-+

However, I believe the politically correct terminology would be "Electronically challenged:-DD

Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #835 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:10 am »
Minor rehab here.

Haven't looked at eBay for two days now  :scared:

However I managed to actually do something with the kit I bought and built a sweep generator for my other function generator and an "op amp" power supply (+/-15v) that runs off a 9v battery. Getting addicted to switching power supply designs now. They're quite good fun.

Perhaps it's more fun using it than buying it and repairing it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #836 on: March 23, 2017, 12:20:50 am »
What made you choose the 3468B vs. 3478A?

In this case nothing more than a fair price, I'll probably buy the 3478A too later - being a TEA and all.  :popcorn:

And true to what I said - the 3478A is a 'comin as of a few minutes ago it's ordered! Another TEA party!  :clap:

The unit as it sits at the seller - super clean.

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #837 on: March 23, 2017, 02:32:45 am »
well, I recently bought its close relative, an HP 3468A. This will be my 3rd 5.5 digit multimeter even though I don't need it. >:D

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #838 on: March 23, 2017, 01:36:12 pm »
 Well, I am in trouble. I discovered a local place that has surplus everything, and they specifically mention test equipment. Some of the photos of their warehouse shows some CRO's, and such gems as Heathkit capacitance and resistor decade boxes. And they have tons of vintage computer stuff as well - C64's, Apples from II's to Mac LC's. Drive galore for C64 and Apple. They also say they have lots of electronic components.
 So I am planning to head over this weekend and check it out. Perhaps I SHOULDN'T drive there in my truck, thigns could get messy. 

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #839 on: March 23, 2017, 02:07:01 pm »
That sounds like it could be dangerous.   Take the truck.  You know, just in case...  :popcorn:

>:D

-Pat

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #840 on: March 23, 2017, 03:50:39 pm »
Well, I am in trouble. I discovered a local place that has surplus everything, and they specifically mention test equipment. Some of the photos of their warehouse shows some CRO's, and such gems as Heathkit capacitance and resistor decade boxes. And they have tons of vintage computer stuff as well - C64's, Apples from II's to Mac LC's. Drive galore for C64 and Apple. They also say they have lots of electronic components.
 So I am planning to head over this weekend and check it out. Perhaps I SHOULDN'T drive there in my truck, thigns could get messy.

You can't just come in here and drop a gem like this and not tell us fellow Yanks where this place is located.  :wtf: :-DD

So pony up....If it's within a 1000 miles I'm free this weekend  ;D ;D :P
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #841 on: March 23, 2017, 04:26:58 pm »

You can't just come in here and drop a gem like this and not tell us fellow Yanks where this place is located.  :wtf: :-DD

So pony up....If it's within a 1000 miles I'm free this weekend  ;D ;D :P

You should appeal to his self-esteem and self-interest: suggest that you like him so much that you are willing to go to some trouble to save him from his baser instincts.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #842 on: March 23, 2017, 06:32:55 pm »
What made you choose the 3468B vs. 3478A?

In this case nothing more than a fair price, I'll probably buy the 3478A too later - being a TEA and all.  :popcorn:

And true to what I said - the 3478A is a 'comin as of a few minutes ago it's ordered! Another TEA party!  :clap:

Excellent! I have several of these in my repair queue. When they come to the fore, I may ping you for some measurements if I get stuck. (Just helping you with additional justification for your new acquisition. ;D)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #843 on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:03 pm »
Well, I am in trouble. I discovered a local place that has surplus everything, and they specifically mention test equipment. ... So I am planning to head over this weekend and check it out. Perhaps I SHOULDN'T drive there in my truck, thigns could get messy.

Looking forward to your scouting report. I second Pat's recommendation to take the truck. Better safe than sor... um... short on space.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #844 on: March 23, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
Well, I am in trouble. I discovered a local place that has surplus everything, and they specifically mention test equipment. ... So I am planning to head over this weekend and check it out. Perhaps I SHOULDN'T drive there in my truck, thigns could get messy.

Looking forward to your scouting report. I second Pat's recommendation to take the truck. Better safe than sor... um... short on space.

And then spill the beans on where it is - that could be within driving distance for me, as I'm not quite right in the head and have been known on occasion to do things others might think are a bit nuts...

-Pat

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #845 on: March 23, 2017, 06:59:54 pm »

You need a bigger truck?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #846 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »
 Oh I certainly hope not. Everything I currently own would take up only a fraction of space in my truck (probably get it all in the cab, actually), so if I acquire enough equipment to require a BIGGER truck I might as well pack up all my stuff and not return home so as to avoid being kicked out.

The place in Kemner's Surplus Warehouse in Pottstown, PA.

OK, maybe I do need a bigger truck, they've posted some new pictures and they have a TRS-80 Model 4 in working condition. I recently tossed my trusty old 4P.  Oh, they also have a Maker club. And a clean looking HP VTVM....

Oh crap, they take credit cards. I am DEFINITELY in trouble.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #847 on: March 23, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »
The place in Kemner's Surplus Warehouse in Pottstown, PA.
Noooo!!  That's 45 minutes from me.

Now that I've read that post - I cannot un-read it!

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #848 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:07 pm »
Excellent! I have several of these in my repair queue. When they come to the fore, I may ping you for some measurements if I get stuck.

Sure thing!

(Just helping you with additional justification for your new acquisition. ;D)

Right, see, we all need to keep buying test equipment in case somebody needs a measurement from a certain model, someone will be bound to have it. Right, right ...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #849 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:49 pm »
Thanks, xrunner. Yep, all for the greater good, historical preservation, etc., etc.!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf