Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14905128 times)

Jambalaya, ch_scr and 224 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83925 on: February 26, 2021, 04:24:41 pm »

What fresh Hell is this?!?

mnem
I need at least twice as much coffee as that before I can deal with this...

*bratz*

"Saskia, please helpdesk one. Saskia, please come to helpdesk one. A dwagon in trouble needs your assistance. Saskia, please helpdesk one."

*bratz*

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #83926 on: February 26, 2021, 04:26:36 pm »
what are "floozies"?  :-//

Working class Tottie.  :)

Leo translates floozie to "Flittchen", can't find tottie there (urbandictionary helps as usual).

I vaguely remember Meat Loaf singing "hot patootie" was translated to "Tussi" in the German subtitles of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I also vaguely remember bd139 mentioning floozies before in this thread.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #83927 on: February 26, 2021, 04:30:37 pm »

As a kid I remember hearing of one such battle, between diesel electric and diesel hydraulic transmissions. Now you find descendents of the winner on the roads :)

The story of when both Southern Pacific and  Denver and Rio Grande Western railroads bought diesel-hydraulics from Krauss-Maffei in Germany is fascinating. It's up there with USMC buying Harriers. I've got a friend, who's from Germany and builds US-themed model railroads in "N" scale. He put me on it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83928 on: February 26, 2021, 04:32:09 pm »
Yeah, I'm totally procrastinating here. On my laptop, gonna read my threads and finish my coffee before I even think aboot the ages-old conodrum of "do I let Windoze try and fix it or do I tear the band-aid off right now, tear the box open, reseat both drives and hope Windoze hasn't already molested the MBR on drive zero in my RAID?"

The horrifying part is that after looking into my portable drive, I just realized I haven't done even a incremental BU since before I moved from the other house in September. Because... you guessed it... I couldn't find the USB3.1 cable that matches it. |O

mnem
*bitten in the arse by the 11th Commandment... again* :palm:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 04:37:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83929 on: February 26, 2021, 04:48:00 pm »

Leo translates floozie to "Flittchen", can't find tottie there (urbandictionary helps as usual).

I vaguely remember Meat Loaf singing "hot patootie" was translated to "Tussi" in the German subtitles of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I also vaguely remember bd139 mentioning floozies before in this thread.

No hiding the facts here or beating around the bush (Bad Joke). We call them "sluts" and actively seek them out.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83930 on: February 26, 2021, 04:49:45 pm »
I got myself another Voltnut toy. A nice Fluke 720a popped on Ebay at a really reasonable price. Sold as "For parts or not working" so I took a chance with this one, knowing it could be really expensive to fix.

So I already have a ESI RV722 Kelvin-Varley divider (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2232567/#msg2232567), but you need external equipment for calibration and adjustment are not possible. The Fluke 720a is also a little bit better on the accuracy and tempco side of things. The nice thing about the Fluke 720a is that it can be configured as a bridge and selfcalibrate itself.

The oil tank containing the 10k resistors for the first range.

So after exercising the switch a little bit it, look like it's functional. I probably need to clean the whole thing with IPA and Deoxit though since there is some intermittent contacts.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 04:55:39 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, Mortymore, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83931 on: February 26, 2021, 04:55:15 pm »
The 3456A C5 adapter boards have been discreetly dispatched. One to Canada and one to Germany. The total cost of this skullduggery was $2.40 USD or $1.20 USD each.

Hopefully they will be delivered sometime this year.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, FransW, Kosmic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #83932 on: February 26, 2021, 04:56:37 pm »
aren't floozies more like cougars ?

What's the difference between a slut and a bitch ?

A slut screws with everyone, a bitch screws with everyone but you.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, med6753, Specmaster, nixiefreqq

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83933 on: February 26, 2021, 04:57:13 pm »
@mnem should I start preparing the 50 grams solution ?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83934 on: February 26, 2021, 04:58:19 pm »
Yeah, I'm totally procrastinating here. On my laptop, gonna read my threads and finish my coffee before I even think aboot the ages-old conodrum of "do I let Windoze try and fix it or do I tear the band-aid off right now, tear the box open, reseat both drives and hope Windoze hasn't already molested the MBR on drive zero in my RAID?"

The horrifying part is that after looking into my portable drive, I just realized I haven't done even a incremental BU since before I moved from the other house in September. Because... you guessed it... I couldn't find the USB3.1 cable that matches it. |O

mnem

You in a "up the shits creek" situation. Hopefully the boat don't sink and you escape intact.  :o

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83935 on: February 26, 2021, 05:14:31 pm »

mnem

You in a "up the shits creek" situation. Hopefully the boat don't sink and you escape intact.  :o
If the boat is in Boston Harbour, it won't sink because its being propped up by all the tea chests you lobbed in there  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83936 on: February 26, 2021, 05:22:10 pm »

In Sweden, "Tottie" is a fairly well established "immigrant clan" (if you're a consequent Farage style fascist, otherwise they're an old Swedish family), having fled Scotland some time around the Interregnum. Not very easy to search for that here, then  :-DD

Tottie is how men of a certain social class (private education, old money, probably a title or two knocking about in any group of them together) refer to young ladies that they hope will be prepared to engage in "hankie-pankie", "a bit of slap and tickle", "rogering" or any of the many monikers for sexual shenanigans. If the young ladies are of the same social class their hopes will likely be entertained, such is the traditional moral milieu of the British Upper Classes. When still comparatively young, I once visited the Bayswater home of a friend (who was later to be the best man at my wedding) where his mother and father lived together and was rather taken aback to be introduced to the 'family' thusly: "This is my Father Patrick, my Mother Sarah, and Mother's boyfriend Gerald". (Names changed)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83937 on: February 26, 2021, 05:34:57 pm »

That's the kind of comment that would lose you your front teeth around here.

I believe a more narrow definition would be "women of slightly questionable morals", but even that would be a risky proposition if you looked at the wrong person while saying it.

EDITED to include the wiktionary entry: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/floozie

My dear boy, were I "around there", I wouldn't even consider it. The moral rectitude of good Northern women is legendary. Anyway, they don't have time for those kind* of pursuits, what with the front step to be kept gleaming and the coal range oven to be lead blacked. There is also the legendary right cross of the Northern lass to be considered as well, before making any pronouncements that might be taken the wrong way.  :)

* The words "those kind" should be read to sound like Les Dawson playing Cissie Braithwaite. cf:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #83938 on: February 26, 2021, 05:46:55 pm »
Just goofing around here and giving the 3456A more power up time after PSU re-cap and I figured I'd power up the old beast too. The fan is back to taking in excess of 30 seconds to ramp up to speed despite being torn down twice and lubricated. Must have worn bushings.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, nixiefreqq, Kosmic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83939 on: February 26, 2021, 06:04:52 pm »
tired and worn out. Hunted down a nasty issue where a docker container would hang on an HP server but would work on a Cisco.
Obviously this was a tensorflow model, this was a production system, and I had 800 of those containers.
We spent several hours trying to figure out the issue, when a colleague finally had the idea to look for the vector extension support in the CPU.
And, alas, the HP only supported AVX whereas the Cisco being of relatively new breed supported AVX2. Further digging found out that my first cisco server had a Haswell type CPU (2680v3 or so) whereas the HPs had 4650s (4 a piece, plus 1 tb main memory each).
This hurts, the HPs have become obsolete overnite and will most likely be scrapped.
got new funding for 2 new ones though, and as the system is scaling much better than in those old days, I will get 2x96 cores with 512 GB mem to replace them.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83940 on: February 26, 2021, 06:05:29 pm »
I got myself another Voltnut toy. A nice Fluke 720a popped on Ebay at a really reasonable price. Sold as "For parts or not working" so I took a chance with this one, knowing it could be really expensive to fix.

Congrats, nice monster.

I am sure you are aware of this
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:20:44 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83941 on: February 26, 2021, 06:06:53 pm »
more worn out tiredness.

Flat on my Ford. Had to call roadside assistance.
technical road safety assessment for my Skoda, which failed miserably. Their gas sensor beeped and they said that the CNG thingie had a gas leak. Gotta fix it. FFs.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83942 on: February 26, 2021, 06:07:51 pm »
@mnem should I start preparing the 50 grams solution ?

Ewwwwwwwwww....

That might be for the best...   

mnem
It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:12:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83943 on: February 26, 2021, 06:15:51 pm »
some additional shit show ...

our local redhead (diversity and inclusion manager) is getting on my nerves and threatens to escalate anything way up to the country head.
She wants our official systems to be converted to new speak.

The one where you should no longer say Germany, but Germwomany  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83944 on: February 26, 2021, 06:18:22 pm »

Congrats, nice monster.

I sure you are aware of this

Yes, fortunately there's no sign of gorillas tampering in mine. Just need a good cleanup.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:23:18 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #83945 on: February 26, 2021, 06:19:46 pm »
more worn out tiredness.

Flat on my Ford. Had to call roadside assistance.
technical road safety assessment for my Skoda, which failed miserably. Their gas sensor beeped and they said that the CNG thingie had a gas leak. Gotta fix it. FFs.

I have my BMW available for sale.  :P
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83946 on: February 26, 2021, 06:28:33 pm »
some additional shit show ...

our local redhead (diversity and inclusion manager) is getting on my nerves and threatens to escalate anything way up to the country head.
She wants our official systems to be converted to new speak.

The one where you should no longer say Germany, but Germwomany  :palm:

Germ/fany?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83947 on: February 26, 2021, 06:33:50 pm »
@Zucca, sorry, eyeing something like this.
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?action=parkItem&id=315648788

@SilverSolder you forgot the Trannies. Over here you must include the d for diverse ...
 :palm:
( I have nothing at all against trans- oder intersexuals. Anybody should be able to live their life the way they want to. But they should not emboss their choices on anybody else and make them mandatory ...)

when I once mentioned "handicapped" that redhead started yelling at me, so I said that I was legally handicapped so I was absolutely free to use that word and that she should eat her tongue and stop discriminating against me ....

We will not be friends.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83948 on: February 26, 2021, 06:45:10 pm »
Well fuck me I'm not actually whining about something for once. Relatively problem free day and uber eats fucked up my order enough for them to refund the entire thing but not enough for it not to be edible. Party time :-DD

Edit: fancy my chances on ebay tonight for some TE that's not going to blow up now  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83949 on: February 26, 2021, 06:47:05 pm »
( I have nothing at all against trans- oder intersexuals. Anybody should be able to live their life the way they want to. But they should not emboss their choices on anybody else and make them mandatory ...)

Having a few friends from the "trans-*" world I can promise you that it's not them making the fuss, they've got enough problems with some people's attitude towards them without actively drawing attention to their status. The people who make all the noise are the sort who want to be seen as "right on" for reasons of virtue signalling to all the other "right on" types. The same kind of people that I believe one fella called Jesus once referred to as "whitewashed sepulchres"...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf