Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14907521 times)

wkb and 273 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84200 on: March 01, 2021, 08:20:08 pm »
little addendum to the LED display voltage modules:

I made a spreadsheet to better show the deviations of the individual modules. You can clearly see that the modules can only be used to a certain extent up to around 25 volts without adjustment, after which the deviations become rapidly larger.
Have to correct myself.  :palm: The deviations are becoming better with the larger numbers. I'll have a closer look to the range from 0 to 5V.

I've added my spreadsheet as well for those who are interested in.

Edit: corrected a mistake in the chart
Edit 2: added the relative deviation
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:52:17 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, med6753, bd139, factory, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #84201 on: March 01, 2021, 08:57:50 pm »
That might come around to bite you on the arse in terms of nuisance tripping. Aside from the cumulative earth leakage currents from a few SMPSs, you're quite likely to see excessive earth leakage on something you put on the bench to repair. An old Y capacitor made by everybody's favourite X & Y capacitor manufacturer comes to mind as an obvious example.

That's what the devil on the left shoulder is telling me now.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84202 on: March 01, 2021, 09:33:48 pm »
That might come around to bite you on the arse in terms of nuisance tripping. Aside from the cumulative earth leakage currents from a few SMPSs, you're quite likely to see excessive earth leakage on something you put on the bench to repair. An old Y capacitor made by everybody's favourite X & Y capacitor manufacturer comes to mind as an obvious example.

That's what the devil on the left shoulder is telling me now.

Strange, the devil on my left shoulder is trying to convince me to buy a piece of non-working test equipment that I neither need nor have space for. But I get the feeling I may not be alone here?  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Brumby, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, factory, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84203 on: March 01, 2021, 10:42:33 pm »
What about if I put a 10mA RCD to save my ass on the entire mains on my bench TEA.
Now I have a 30 mA but there is an angel on my right shoulder telling me:"Go for 10mA, go for 10mA...".

Yes sometime I play with 230VAC mains  >:D

This is what I am talking about

Like Cerebus has already pointed out, you most certainly suffer from nuisance tripping. It is common practise to use 10mA RCD on work benches in schools, especially in the science labs where there is a high probability of having liquids in use. But in general 30mA is the better option, unless you can afford to provide each power outlet with its own 10mA RCD and only power 1 item per socket. Any equipment, test gear, computer example which has a filter fitted on the supply, will by its very nature be leaking current to the earth. So on 10mA device, it can trip with a leakage current as low as 4mA and still meet the wiring regulations, whereas it would be 12mA for a 30mA device. The maximum permissible leakage on any device is its maximum rating, ie. 10 or 30mA and if you have a device that does trip until it reaches that level, it needs urgent replacement because it is borderline in its shock protection and may be dangerous to leave in circuit.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline nikodem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84204 on: March 01, 2021, 10:45:54 pm »
Dear TEA,

I just received a parcel with a faulty DSO1002A scope. From the initial testing it seems that it works fine, which made me dissapointed. Is everything ok with me? I think this is a good place to ask this question  ;D.

I will direct your attention to number 7 above. ;) Also number 11; it is always applicable.  :-DD

Welcome to the TEAnonymous madhouse; the neverending Taco truck is over in the corner, bean's hiding out in the 3DP thread, so maybe the coffee wagon will be restocked soon and you'll wanna watch oot for a grinning Smurf running around with a can of bloo spray paint. Cerebus is mostly harmless unless you see him with his conversational cutlery; if you see Saskia doing arts & crafts, be forewarned... that is not Play-Doh she's rolling into little shapes there... :scared:

mnem

Thank you! After few hours of testign it's still not broken, but fortunatelly I got a HP 5328A counter, that needs some attention :-BROKE

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84205 on: March 02, 2021, 12:35:38 am »
Only because you are much better and it's in your neck of the woods :-DD eBay auction: #114699700885

Comes with a Battery option wonder how much secret sauce has made its way out in the last few decades  :scared:

Somebody wanted it more than I did.

Oh well.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84206 on: March 02, 2021, 12:46:53 am »
For these sorts of smaller jellybean counters it is worth trawling ebay.com for a cheap freight one. A few of mine were only $30-40 AUD for post. I landed the HP 5302A for under $100
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84207 on: March 02, 2021, 12:55:06 am »
For these sorts of smaller jellybean counters it is worth trawling ebay.com for a cheap freight one. A few of mine were only $30-40 AUD for post. I landed the HP 5302A for under $100

If you're not blinded by the hp logo these are decent counters and they don't come in fugly cases.  :D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84208 on: March 02, 2021, 01:06:01 am »
Not blinded by the badge I love my little Racal Nixie counter  ;)

This is tidy looking too $10 opening bids for a 1GHz counter eBay auction: #154353419309

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84209 on: March 02, 2021, 01:10:59 am »
I also have one of these but here is one in the USA  >:D eBay auction: #392659657016

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84210 on: March 02, 2021, 01:22:44 am »
My favorite 'find' of the last few days is still this gem. It is not far from me and I can smell the  :bullshit: from here  :-DD https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/trawalla/other-electronics-computers/bedini-4-pole-monopole-energizer/1269354477

Would require someone with knowledge of its operation to complete.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, wolfy007

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84211 on: March 02, 2021, 01:24:12 am »
"4 pole monopole" ....?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84212 on: March 02, 2021, 01:25:39 am »
Not too fussed about the counter.  I still have an 80MHz HP unit in the repair queue I need to get back to ... sometime ...  ::)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84213 on: March 02, 2021, 01:25:58 am »
"4 pole monopole" ....?

Clearly it makes 4 times as much free energy as a monopole if you follow the logic of the creator :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84214 on: March 02, 2021, 01:26:54 am »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84215 on: March 02, 2021, 01:31:14 am »
As far as counters go, I'm still miffed at the 1Ghz kit one I built ages ago that's disappeared.

The only real application that had been used for was when an engineer from one of the local FM radio stations borrowed it for a couple of days.  I was still tweaking the bias for best sensitivity (which wasn't an issue for the engineer).

It even had it's own box with big red letters on the end: "DFM".  Nobody in the household seems to have ever remembered seeing it.  Grrrrr....

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84216 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:35 am »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:43:07 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, syau

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84217 on: March 02, 2021, 01:45:31 am »
*whimper*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84218 on: March 02, 2021, 02:14:56 am »
Eeek!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #84219 on: March 02, 2021, 02:17:25 am »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

:o :scared:  :( (I wish I didnt see this post)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:19:37 am by wolfy007 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84220 on: March 02, 2021, 03:30:26 am »
I was sleeping and something woke me up. My box fan had shut down and restarted. Clocks flashing. We are having one hell of a wind storm here. Scanner is going nuts with trees down. As I was typing this power dipped again but came back up. Have to wait for my router to reboot.

And I log on here and see all that blue tossed in boxes. I r sad.  :-[

If that smaller pallet were to be delivered to me you would never hear from me again because I would have died and gone to heaven.  :-DD   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:39:55 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84221 on: March 02, 2021, 03:57:25 am »

I've had that much loaded up in the Rav4 with the fanny pack on... :o

mnem
18 hrs/1800 kliks away... Ends in 3 daze... *wibble*
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:02:08 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84222 on: March 02, 2021, 05:08:14 am »
I was sleeping and something woke me up. My box fan had shut down and restarted. Clocks flashing. We are having one hell of a wind storm here. Scanner is going nuts with trees down. As I was typing this power dipped again but came back up. Have to wait for my router to reboot.

And I log on here and see all that blue tossed in boxes. I r sad.  :-[

If that smaller pallet were to be delivered to me you would never hear from me again because I would have died and gone to heaven.  :-DD   

What we would note, though, are two things;
  • A global price hike on electrolyte capacitors from increased demand,
  • SHW will skyrocket on the NYSE, from solid sales in the upstate NY area.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84223 on: March 02, 2021, 06:03:18 am »
I also have one of these but here is one in the USA  >:D eBay auction: #392659657016

That was the first frequency counter I ever used!

The following users thanked this post: beanflying, factory

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #84224 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:38 am »
so quite frankly it was unsealed and stolen in transit most likely by Hermes.

I am a victim of stole items in transit as well. We should all pack dog shit and send it to some random jewelery shop. Once a month.

Yes I filed a claim to Herpes providing pics, yes it was another waste of time, no response since 7,5 months.

Item in transit was stolen by Herpes GB in June 2020. They are refunding me the full amount of the lost goods in March 2021.

I will give thanks to the Blessed Holy Mary for the miracle.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf