Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14933080 times)

Cesar_D and 214 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84300 on: March 03, 2021, 12:20:46 am »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

You are a dangerous man!

About 15 hours away from me.  This may seem crazy, but I am somewhat tempted to go for it.
I have a truck & trailer that could handle it all.
The part I would have trouble to handle is the reaction of SWMBO if I came home with all that.  I would have to turn it around fairly quickly....

Are the maritime provinces still stopping anyone from Quebec on west from coming in though?  It might not be possible to drive to Nova Scotia still.

Good question; I read up on the travel restrictions.  I could do it legally, but it means living out of the truck and minimizing stops for gas, toilet & food only.
There is a protocol for contactless pick-up.

EDIT:  Darn.  New Brunswick is not allowing travel.   The only way to get there without going through the USA is Quebec through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.

Just tell them you are fetching medical equipment at the government depot. Those oscilloscopes are used to monitor heart and respiration rate right ?

I was also entertaining the idea to go there. Eventually found out that newbrunswick was in lock down and the only way to get there was by boat. Might be too slow since you have 3 days to collect your lot.

Anybody have access to a plane ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:50:49 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84301 on: March 03, 2021, 12:23:40 am »
holy crap!  now they are writing poems about med.  will he go down in history as some kind of blue oscilloscope legend?  will they sing songs about him in the distant future?  (sort of like john henry the steel drivin' man?).

this has turned into a really really weird place.

in other news.  i have escaped the curse of the bean.  thanks to factory there is no way my old gnarled  fingers will be typing an offer on that racal.

it's only hope is cub.  (he is much more patient, caring, and thoughtful.......and would probably rehabilitate that poor orphan.  others on this thread would buy it just to set on fire).

edit   just went back and re-read it.   it IS a song about med.  do we know what music goes with the lyrics?

edit 2  never mind.  just found the video.

You are missing out on all of the fun  :-DD Mine is still on the list for internal TLC  ::)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, factory

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84302 on: March 03, 2021, 01:11:56 am »
holy crap!  now they are writing poems about med.  will he go down in history as some kind of blue oscilloscope legend?  will they sing songs about him in the distant future?  (sort of like john henry the steel drivin' man?).

this has turned into a really really weird place.

in other news.  i have escaped the curse of the bean.  thanks to factory there is no way my old gnarled  fingers will be typing an offer on that racal.

it's only hope is cub.  (he is much more patient, caring, and thoughtful.......and would probably rehabilitate that poor orphan.  others on this thread would buy it just to set on fire).

edit   just went back and re-read it.   it IS a song about med.  do we know what music goes with the lyrics?

edit 2  never mind.  just found the video.

You are missing out on all of the fun  :-DD Mine is still on the list for internal TLC  ::)

are those bulbs soldered in?   that is just wrong.  it hurts my eyes to keep looking at it.

nope. nope. nope.  i am taking a pledge to never even THINK about straying from bill and dave again.

edit. in future please restrain yourself from placing such temptation in my path.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:15:13 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84303 on: March 03, 2021, 01:21:12 am »
Well your no fun then nixie  :-DD

Really rough head on this Kikasui 536a eBay auction: #143951949370 Cheap but not for me I need to sell at least one first.

What is truly horrifying is the likely 240-100V Anal Wart on its posterior  :o

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84304 on: March 03, 2021, 01:38:20 am »
words fail me.

maybe i could express my feelings for that in dance.

a dance of the damned.
free range primate

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84305 on: March 03, 2021, 02:25:59 am »
soon ...
(not this one.  ;) )

I hope, mine is coming as the 230V~ version (if there is one).
If not, some toroidal transformers are very good friends of mine...  ;D

Yeah very sexy, but I never understood, is there some sort of black magic inside those pd power supply?

They are low noise and really stable.

Normally they are equipped with an ovenized voltage ref but like tggzzz said, the 2020 and 2010 have a LM399 voltage ref instead.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:35:04 am by Kosmic »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84306 on: March 03, 2021, 06:15:43 am »
"Stock in trade" for Techs working in Broadcasting, where:-

"I have to wait for the manufacturer to fill up a container in Lower Slobbovia, with our part at the very bottom, then about a month for the ship to reach the wrong side of the country, then be emptied out, repacked in another container, trucked across to WA, sit around at the agent's store, then finally make its way here."

Just doesn't "hack it"!

Mostly, it is about those vendors, despite the very flashy IBC / NAB stand they've cobbled together, actually are ten people in a shed somewhere  and while their gear is top notch, and you probably can get a nice pub evening out of them (if you're allowed to travel that is) the concept of reliable logistics is a bit further off.

Now, for old school analog and digital hardware, the product cycles are long enough (much like TE) that this model works, but once they put a general purpose operating system (usually a Linux kernel that's old a year before first shipment) inside their device and network them, and they still are same ten people in a shed, they are going to build nicely looking boxes that sometimes do very strange things to your system, because testing is lacking. And bug fixes take ages. And they invariably ship too early for their own good (to meet contract deadlines), so you'll be requesting missing basic features over and over again that just not are going to come because there's one or two people doing the software. In one case they were two. One was smart and the other one a poser. The smart one left.  :palm:

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #84307 on: March 03, 2021, 07:24:19 am »

Normally they are equipped with an ovenized voltage ref but like tggzzz said, the 2020 and 2010 have a LM399 voltage ref instead.

I could grab one when I will be in USA then...  >:D
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84308 on: March 03, 2021, 07:49:17 am »

Do it, you won't regret it.  >:D ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84309 on: March 03, 2021, 07:56:54 am »
Talking of this, annoyingly I missed a Keithley 2001 the other day for £250. Still in calibration as well apparently  >:(. LM399 but good enough  :-DD

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84310 on: March 03, 2021, 08:45:14 am »
"Stock in trade" for Techs working in Broadcasting, where:-

"I have to wait for the manufacturer to fill up a container in Lower Slobbovia, with our part at the very bottom, then about a month for the ship to reach the wrong side of the country, then be emptied out, repacked in another container, trucked across to WA, sit around at the agent's store, then finally make its way here."

Just doesn't "hack it"!

Mostly, it is about those vendors, despite the very flashy IBC / NAB stand they've cobbled together, actually are ten people in a shed somewhere  and while their gear is top notch, and you probably can get a nice pub evening out of them (if you're allowed to travel that is) the concept of reliable logistics is a bit further off.

Now, for old school analog and digital hardware, the product cycles are long enough (much like TE) that this model works, but once they put a general purpose operating system (usually a Linux kernel that's old a year before first shipment) inside their device and network them, and they still are same ten people in a shed, they are going to build nicely looking boxes that sometimes do very strange things to your system, because testing is lacking. And bug fixes take ages. And they invariably ship too early for their own good (to meet contract deadlines), so you'll be requesting missing basic features over and over again that just not are going to come because there's one or two people doing the software. In one case they were two. One was smart and the other one a poser. The smart one left.  :palm:

Nah!
My examples are with "old school analog" mainly, & stuff that has been installed OK, but after a few (or more) years, fails in service.

"Lower Slobbovia" was really just hyperbole-----most of the cases have been with UK & European equipment made by "prestigious  companies".

They, in the main had been seduced by logistics groups into the "low cost" option of either waiting until they have enough stuff going to Australia to fill a container, or "piggy backing" on "somebody elses"..

Both of these choices  meant very slow delivery of OEM parts, which were probably inadequately rated, anyway-----this encouraged the use of more readily available devices to get the equipment back into service.

In the main, during my time in Broadcasting, the Japanese manufacturers were the exception.
If you needed a Sony part, you rang up the "Sony bloke" in Sydney, who would, if it was in stock, put it on "tonight's plane"----if not, he would check around.
If it was in, say, Singapore, it might be the "day after next", from Japan, maybe a week, tops!

I think the Brits & EU people treated Oz as of little consequence, so lost business.

Your "10 men in a shed" is something else--------I have worked in such places.
Many years back, I spent just under a year in the UK on a "working holiday".

Like many others, I ended up working as a "meat robot" at a industrial labour hiring company, getting hired out to do labouring jobs at various places.
One such place was "Bardic Systems", where we had to clear up a bunch of cartons.

I had seen advertisements for this company in many old, & (then), current Aeronautical magazines, where they advertised safety beacons to use on rescue equipment, etc, as well as such mundane things as battery chargers, so expected a large factory.

Imagine my surprise, when it turned out to be pretty much " 10 people in a shed!"

Many years later,back in Oz, I worked for a while as a "rent a tech" for another labour hire place, & was sent to a local place which made highly regarded equipment sold world wide.
Pretty much the same thing, but in a weak  moment, I signed up to become directly employed there.
AAARRRGGHH! |O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84311 on: March 03, 2021, 08:57:46 am »
Talking of this, annoyingly I missed a Keithley 2001 the other day for £250. Still in calibration as well apparently  >:(. LM399 but good enough  :-DD

Interesting article here from TiN on xdevs.com:

https://xdevs.com/fix/kei2001/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84312 on: March 03, 2021, 09:28:35 am »
So, which is more irritating, and why?

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Henrik_V

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84313 on: March 03, 2021, 09:31:59 am »

I got my 2020 for £7 :) plus £50P&P :(

Some PD PSUs (e.g. 2020B) have transformers where you can re-solder the primary taps to be 230V or 110V. Some don't.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84314 on: March 03, 2021, 09:42:03 am »
Quick update on the TMK500, checked current ranges, all good so decided to test the 250mV range, it was out by 50mV but it had a trimmer for that range and it is dead nuts now.

I think this was a pretty advanced meter back in the day judging by its ranges, it was squarely aimed at the electronics sector rather than electrical,
it has a special jack for measuring the audio output of an amplifier with a DC blocking cap built in. So thats another bargain-basement eBay item saved from becoming landfill and returned to good useful life again and should last another 50 years of faithful service, win all round then  :-+

Most meters are typically only 4,000 or 5,000 OPV and Avo meters are even worse on AC @ 30V upwards, they are only 2,000 OPV and 3V range 100 OPV will the 10V is 1,000 OPV, something I never fully appreciated before. But the AC ranges on 500 are all at 13,000 OPV, and not the 15,000 I previously claimed (helps to wear one's glasses)  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84315 on: March 03, 2021, 09:49:16 am »
anybody in need of some Numitrons 3015F 7-segment displays?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133681533627

NAWTS

The following users thanked this post: Ero-Shan

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84316 on: March 03, 2021, 09:50:37 am »
Freescan installed new scanner plugged in and upgraded, seems most of the Channels I want are already programmed  :-+ Winner. Just need to decide now if I want to pony up for the $50 for Proscan to allow a bit more PC based playing.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline greasemonkey

• Contributor
« Reply #84317 on: March 03, 2021, 09:53:32 am »
Hi guys
My name is Chris and I am an addict.

I have the chance to buy a recently calibrated keithley 2001 for about $1400.

The thing is that this year I have already bought an 196 multimeter, a 617 electrometer and a 224 current source.

Should I go ahead? Any thoughts?
My moderately uninteresting blog: https://btbm.ch

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84318 on: March 03, 2021, 10:09:29 am »
Freescan installed new scanner plugged in and upgraded, seems most of the Channels I want are already programmed  :-+ Winner. Just need to decide now if I want to pony up for the $50 for Proscan to allow a bit more PC based playing.

Thats a winner then, I have a few scanners myself but the only one that now gets used is the Bearcat, their great little devices.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84319 on: March 03, 2021, 10:16:40 am »
Hi guys

The thing is that this year I have already bought an 196 multimeter, a 617 electrometer and a 224 current source.

Do you have enough income to pay rent/mortgage and food? If yes then that's all you need and the answer is "yes", buy the Keithley.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84320 on: March 03, 2021, 10:30:12 am »

Thats a winner then, I have a few scanners myself but the only one that now gets used is the Bearcat, their great little devices.

My scanner is a RS PRO-2037 which unfortunately is too old to be PC connected. I also have a PRO-36 hand held. Same deal.  :--

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84321 on: March 03, 2021, 10:37:00 am »
Hi guys

Welcome to the mad house. :)
Enjoy the trip.

"Should I go ahead?"  :o
Remember where you are.  ;D

If you need some inspiration, have a look at the very first posting of this thread.  :-DD

"Any thoughts?"
Depends very much on what you want to do.
For example, if you want to do more metrology stuff, then a VNA or a SA might not be that helpful.  :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84322 on: March 03, 2021, 10:47:13 am »
Hi guys

If your current equipment satisfies your needs, then no.

That will leave money for all sorts of very different (and interesting) test equipment  >:D Start with being able to measure V-vs-t (scope), then V-vs-f (spectrum analyser), then f-vs-t (modulation domain analyser).

For that you will of course need accurate V, f, and t sources, heh heh heh. Plus accurate resistors and capacitors, heh heh heh.

For digital signals you will need a logic analyser and pattern generator.

BTW, welcome to the intermediate-level nuthouse. For serious nuts, head over to the voltnut and timenut mail lists.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:49:49 am by tggzzz »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84323 on: March 03, 2021, 11:11:45 am »

Nah!
My examples are with "old school analog" mainly, & stuff that has been installed OK, but after a few (or more) years, fails in service.
Your "10 men in a shed" is something else--------I have worked in such places.

My point is that the entire broadcasting industry, excepting Sony and a bunch of the other Japanese companies and maybe the likes of Grass Valley but not much more, is made up of 10 people in a shed companies.

Sony et al. are big because they're not only building stuff for broadcast, but also consumer electronics. Like Philips was. And Thomson.  The European manufacturers today that aren't shed class also have a broader portfolio, like Sennheiser, or Shure in the USA. But, if your gear has 100 customers worldwide, you're never going to leave the shed. The other way to survive of course is to get bought by Harman or Behringer. Like Studer and Midas. The aggregate size is going to give you a logistics system and access to volume discounts et c.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84324 on: March 03, 2021, 11:20:56 am »
Anyone here from the general Munchen area?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf