Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14908430 times)

K0ELB and 279 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84375 on: March 03, 2021, 04:27:42 pm »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

You are a dangerous man!

About 15 hours away from me.  This may seem crazy, but I am somewhat tempted to go for it.
I have a truck & trailer that could handle it all.
The part I would have trouble to handle is the reaction of SWMBO if I came home with all that.  I would have to turn it around fairly quickly....

Are the maritime provinces still stopping anyone from Quebec on west from coming in though?  It might not be possible to drive to Nova Scotia still.

Good question; I read up on the travel restrictions.  I could do it legally, but it means living out of the truck and minimizing stops for gas, toilet & food only.
There is a protocol for contactless pick-up.

EDIT:  Darn.  New Brunswick is not allowing travel.   The only way to get there without going through the USA is Quebec through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.

Just tell them you are fetching medical equipment at the government depot. Those oscilloscopes are used to monitor heart and respiration rate right ?

I was also entertaining the idea to go there. Eventually found out that newbrunswick was in lock down and the only way to get there was by boat. Might be too slow since you have 3 days to collect your lot.

Anybody have access to a plane ?

Access to a plane, or permission???  I could get access, but it would be a seriously career-limiting move to even touch it....  :scared:
The lack of a PPL might be another dis-incentive as well.  Would you want to come along on a ride like that?

The location in the auction is not the usual government depot, but a DND site.  Funny that you mention a boat, since I would assume the DND site is a naval yard.  Do you think they would allow us to show up there in your boat?  So, how big is your boat anyway.  Maybe I could trailer it as far east as possible through the eastern townships of QC and then we navigate around NB.  That might cut down the travel time?

I have this sinking feeling (oops, just realized the bad pun there, since we are talking about the Atlantic in winter) that someone who lives in NS or PEI is going to get a jammy-git award.   :(

I have a canoe. You think it will carry 1 ton of TEA ? One of us might have to stay over there on our way back.

I am doing all I can to possible get this TE...  Now I am waiting on a response to a Kijiji ad for a tandem kayak that I would like to buy.  That should double our carrying capacity and do the job nicely  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84376 on: March 03, 2021, 05:21:45 pm »
From the "Guys, for what it is, I think we might overpacked this." department:

The Digikey box in the background is where the cat likes to sit watching the world go by, judging it.

Don't knock it CDL keep me stocked with bubblewrap  ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84377 on: March 03, 2021, 05:26:25 pm »
Prior to or after Tektronix take over? Did your Mother build this one?

If I didn't know the background I'd think this was the lead in to a TEA "Yo mama..." joke.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84378 on: March 03, 2021, 05:27:21 pm »
Anybody on the east side of Canada looking for 1 ton of misc TE ? the auction is sitting at 200$ right now.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=382932&lcn=531590&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=

It's a good thing I'm 12h away. A little bit closer and I would probably had to rent a van to bring everything back home.

You are a dangerous man!

About 15 hours away from me.  This may seem crazy, but I am somewhat tempted to go for it.
I have a truck & trailer that could handle it all.
The part I would have trouble to handle is the reaction of SWMBO if I came home with all that.  I would have to turn it around fairly quickly....

Are the maritime provinces still stopping anyone from Quebec on west from coming in though?  It might not be possible to drive to Nova Scotia still.

Good question; I read up on the travel restrictions.  I could do it legally, but it means living out of the truck and minimizing stops for gas, toilet & food only.
There is a protocol for contactless pick-up.

EDIT:  Darn.  New Brunswick is not allowing travel.   The only way to get there without going through the USA is Quebec through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.

Just tell them you are fetching medical equipment at the government depot. Those oscilloscopes are used to monitor heart and respiration rate right ?

I was also entertaining the idea to go there. Eventually found out that newbrunswick was in lock down and the only way to get there was by boat. Might be too slow since you have 3 days to collect your lot.

Anybody have access to a plane ?

Access to a plane, or permission???  I could get access, but it would be a seriously career-limiting move to even touch it....  :scared:
The lack of a PPL might be another dis-incentive as well.  Would you want to come along on a ride like that?

The location in the auction is not the usual government depot, but a DND site.  Funny that you mention a boat, since I would assume the DND site is a naval yard.  Do you think they would allow us to show up there in your boat?  So, how big is your boat anyway.  Maybe I could trailer it as far east as possible through the eastern townships of QC and then we navigate around NB.  That might cut down the travel time?

I have this sinking feeling (oops, just realized the bad pun there, since we are talking about the Atlantic in winter) that someone who lives in NS or PEI is going to get a jammy-git award.   :(

I have a canoe. You think it will carry 1 ton of TEA ? One of us might have to stay over there on our way back.

I am doing all I can to possible get this TE...  Now I am waiting on a response to a Kijiji ad for a tandem kayak that I would like to buy.  That should double our carrying capacity and do the job nicely  :-DD

I'm picturing canoes and kayaks loaded down with all that gear, and all of a sudden I'm hearing Gordon Lightfoot music...

Anyhow, do either of you know what GCSurplus does with the lots that don't sell at auction?  I've never been able to figure out if they relist stuff or if it goes in the bin.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84379 on: March 03, 2021, 05:57:33 pm »
I’m trying to keep my test gear purchase roughly to: “british_made || fluke” at the moment to minimise parts availability risk which seems to be a big problem now our borders are buggered thoroughly

Stick with Hameg, they are using OTS components.  ;D

Yeah Hameg are good  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84380 on: March 03, 2021, 06:00:39 pm »
Soldering fun arrived. Big thanks to AVGresponding who discovered this on eBay the other day, I have 2x new Metcal SCV-CH50 tips for a meagre £6.51  :-+. MFR/PS compatible (mine's a PS900). Should make large caps a bit easier  :-+

Linky here (9 left at the time of writing) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133587611132

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84381 on: March 03, 2021, 06:06:27 pm »
Anyhow, do either of you know what GCSurplus does with the lots that don't sell at auction?  I've never been able to figure out if they relist stuff or if it goes in the bin.

They relist at a lower starting price. I seen items going around for some time before someone decided to bid.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #84382 on: March 03, 2021, 06:48:29 pm »
the speed you fixerupper these things is astounding. I envy you for your spare time and energy.

After all the years and years of working and doing for everyone else now that I'm retired this is my time.  :-+

Amen! Can't wait 'til it's my turn to be a crusty ol' curmudgeon who likes his tools better than people...  >:D

mnem
Don't read this.

Been that way for awhile now.  For 3 decades I have been saying that the Earth would be a great place if it wasn't for the people.  I like my tools and tool chests better than people.  I like my bigger, injury causing power tools better than people.  We won't even talk about how much more I love my dogs than I like people.  Very few family members rank above my dogs and those that don't actually know it.  I am of the age where all my filters have been shorted out.  Only Mrs GreyWoolfe knows mostly how to keep me in check and every once in a while even she fails at it.  Mnem, to start being a proper curmudgeon, you have to (a) be completely unapologetic and (b) supremely indifferent to what other people think of you. :-DD :box:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84383 on: March 03, 2021, 07:08:08 pm »

Bought a scope. Telequipment  :scared:   D755 which is government issue D75 which is smaller D83. Appears to be working. Time will tell

Okay... who had... um... *squinting and guessing* 9 months, 17 days, 2 hours on the "bd falls off the never, ever TelEquip again wagon" pool...?  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Prior to or after Tektronix take over? Did your Mother build this one?

This was an after this D755. She was involved in D83/DM64 I think from memory. Did write it all down somewhere but can’t find it now  :palm:
Isn't that just a D83 in horizontal format ?
Looks like the same plugins.  :-//
Can you see the plugin #'s ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84384 on: March 03, 2021, 07:11:36 pm »
Yeah almost the same. The tube is same as a Tek 465 rather than a 7603 though. It’s a V4 and S4C plugin. The S4C is the one with delay time base and XY input.

Edit: currently waiting for SpaceX SN9 to blow up
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:13:08 pm by bd139 »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #84385 on: March 03, 2021, 07:14:37 pm »

They relist at a lower starting price. I seen items going around for some time before someone decided to bid.

Same observation here.  I do wonder if the potential starting price is too low to bother that they might throw stuff in the trash/recycling?

For this particular lot, there is bidding, which has reached $315 so far, so this one will not be relisted.  By the way, I got the list.  There are 14 oscilloscopes of the same model, and several others of other models, about 7 signal/rf/noise generators, about 5 counters, 30+ DMMs and a few other items.  The part #s are all DND's inventory, so no idea what the actual models are.  Still, that is a big haul.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84386 on: March 03, 2021, 07:21:54 pm »
Yeah almost the same. The tube is same as a Tek 465 rather than a 7603 though. It’s a V4 and S4C plugin. The S4C is the one with delay time base and XY input.
Ok with the smaller CRT and lesser EHT requirement it should make these less stressed and more reliable.
S4C timebase sounds like a bit later model than S2A that was in D83's.

What's its rated BW ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84387 on: March 03, 2021, 07:27:06 pm »
Something is up with Mouser again. I place the order for the Type 321A capacitors on Sunday. With the exception of the weather issues 2 weeks ago the order would ALWAYS ship on Monday. Well as of today I have not gotten any word that order has shipped. So I sent them as "what's up?".  As soon as I get a response back I'll pass it on.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84388 on: March 03, 2021, 07:31:57 pm »
Something is up with Mouser again. I place the order for the Type 321A capacitors on Sunday. With the exception of the weather issues 2 weeks ago the order would ALWAYS ship on Monday. Well as of today I have not gotten any word that order has shipped. So I sent them as "what's up?".  As soon as I get a response back I'll pass it on.

I ordered from Newark on Sunday. Got delivered yesterday.

Was my first time with Newark. Shipping is a bit more expensive than digikey but they don't have the same stock/prices.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84389 on: March 03, 2021, 07:39:42 pm »
Ok with the smaller CRT and lesser EHT requirement it should make these less stressed and more reliable.

What's its rated BW ?

Fingers crossed! BW is still only 50Mhz. They could have screwed more out of it but that was Tek’s market  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84390 on: March 03, 2021, 08:23:23 pm »

mnem

Fly away... fly awayyyyy...!!!
   Fool ya.  >:D You thought I was gonna post it, didn't you?  :-DD   However, you have been warned.  :P :P :-DD

As you wish, Lord Booty-Fab.  >:D

mnem
"I was walking down the street in Vegas, and a hooker tells me 'I'll do anything you want for $50!' So I gave her the money and said 'Paint my house.' " ~ The Rodney
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:26:27 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84391 on: March 03, 2021, 08:29:28 pm »

What's its rated BW ?

Fingers crossed! BW is still only 50Mhz. They could have screwed more out of it but that was Tek’s market  :-DD

And they shipped it already. And via ParcelForce (this is a good thing)  :phew:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84392 on: March 03, 2021, 08:40:16 pm »
the speed you fixerupper these things is astounding. I envy you for your spare time and energy.

After all the years and years of working and doing for everyone else now that I'm retired this is my time.  :-+

Amen! Can't wait 'til it's my turn to be a crusty ol' curmudgeon who likes his tools better than people...  >:D

mnem
Don't read this.
Been that way for awhile now.  For 3 decades I have been saying that the Earth would be a great place if it wasn't for the people.  I like my tools and tool chests better than people.  I like my bigger, injury causing power tools better than people.  We won't even talk about how much more I love my dogs than I like people.  Very few family members rank above my dogs and those that don't actually know it.  I am of the age where all my filters have been shorted out.  Only Mrs GreyWoolfe knows mostly how to keep me in check and every once in a while even she fails at it.  Mnem, to start being a proper curmudgeon, you have to (a) be completely unapologetic and (b) supremely indifferent to what other people think of you. :-DD :box:

Ehhh... What can I say...? I'm a people dwagon.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84393 on: March 03, 2021, 08:44:47 pm »

What's its rated BW ?

Welcome back to CRO Hell, brother.  >:D

mnem
No  :-BROKE  for yoooou!!!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84394 on: March 03, 2021, 09:43:54 pm »
My second 8060A that I sniped for ${INSIGNIFICANT} SEK arrived today. It is in fantastic condition. Inside it smells a mixture of new and Army Stores. It's got a cal/service sticker from the Defence Manufacturing Works (FFV) from 1995, and some other sticker residue. And, as far as I've tested it, it works. It contained a Duracell that was very low on voltage, but had managed to avoid barfing. One of the terminals on the battery had broken off and lodged itself in the connector, but once I'd poked it off, I fitted a new battery and tried it out. Ohms  is definitely within spec (±(0.07%+2)) untouched.

For the kind of money, and in this pristine condition, I'm tempted to talk about cookie awards.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84395 on: March 03, 2021, 09:47:52 pm »
Seems that ITX gizmo will be a keeper.
Got an i7 9700 for low bucks today. That one should active strong enough to feed a 2070 if not a 3060ti.
Which suddenly makes a very interesting value proposition. Install a decent psu ( just found  a Corsair Rm 550x in the mail, do the Cpu and gpu upgrade and actually use that thing as a small but powerful workstation. Sounds like a plan ....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84396 on: March 03, 2021, 09:49:15 pm »
My second 8060A that I sniped for ${INSIGNIFICANT} SEK arrived today. It is in fantastic condition. Inside it smells a mixture of new and Army Stores. It's got a cal/service sticker from the Defence Manufacturing Works (FFV) from 1995, and some other sticker residue. And, as far as I've tested it, it works. It contained a Duracell that was very low on voltage, but had managed to avoid barfing. One of the terminals on the battery had broken off and lodged itself in the connector, but once I'd poked it off, I fitted a new battery and tried it out. Ohms  is definitely within spec (±(0.07%+2)) untouched.

For the kind of money, and in this pristine condition, I'm tempted to talk about cookie awards.

Yeah definitely deserving of the jammy git award that one  :-+. Good to see one in such condition as well.

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84397 on: March 03, 2021, 10:21:24 pm »

Same here. Ordered some stuff (nothing fancy) on Feb. 28th, payment done via PayPal (got the confirmation) and since then: processing.  :-//

On other notes:
I've finished the lyrics of "The days of Papa "Tek" Smurf", they can be found here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3491328/#msg3491328
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84398 on: March 03, 2021, 10:32:27 pm »
In other news, I received my new corporate laptop day before yesterday. A 16" Macbook Pro, 32GiB RAM, 1TiB storage. OS X Big Sur is a bit messy with permissions, one has to do a few things to get it to behave. The keyboard is good, the screen is excellent, and the low frequency impression from a bunch of coin-cell sized speakers (I do not call it response for I believe it to be, ahem, contoured) is just that -- impressive.

Why did I not jump the bandwagon and go M1? For starters, while I feel the 13" size is almost optimal for travel (My private laptop is a 13" MBP some years old, and it is holding up really well, best computer I've ever owned.), it is somewhat lacking for more focused work. I work a lot with the computer as-is, without external screen, and having 16" then is a real bonus.

Second, there are a few apps I depend on that have had mixed luck with Rosetta, and they're not available in native yet.

Edit: And a full score on migration must be awarded; backup old computer to external drive, umount  and move cable to new computer, choose restore, answer a few questions, and wait. One reboot, and you are where you left off on the old one. But on the new computer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:34:27 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84399 on: March 03, 2021, 10:53:22 pm »
16” is 50/50 for me. Too hot, too large but a quality item. Entirely new MacBook Pro hardware line coming out in Q3 without Touch Bar and with SD slot again so hanging out for that. Fortunately everything I do works on M1 so far. But I’m stuck with a corp windows turd until I can brow beat into their thick heads I’m a Unix admin basically  :palm:. No Lenovo now - turned out I didn’t make the first line of orders and my PO wasn’t signed off because they didn’t want to give Lenovo money unless they could deliver in under 4 weeks.

Edit: just recompiled all my Go stuff native arm64 now and a couple of different IntelliJ flavours run nicely. I’m sorted. No Intel binaries!

On performance I’m running the ass end Mac mini and it actually runs my MQ test suite 6% faster than my ryzen 3700x did. But it doesn’t get warm, doesn’t make a noise and pulls only 17 watts when it’s doing it compared to 265 watts (!)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:59:20 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf