Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14834783 times)

Jambalaya and 154 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84475 on: March 05, 2021, 06:43:39 am »
Here, have a teaser :)

this is just a jimmy-rigged thing. 2 2070s (one of which I just sold to my boss), 1 3060ti, 1 3080 (TUF GAMING) and a 3090. In the other room there's a 3080 FTW3 Ultra and a VU33P. I got the ok from my employer and for tax reasons (more than 262 Pesos annual profit) I have to open a sole proprietorship which makes all of this stuff tax deductable.

This is an absolutely fucked up business model. But the good thing is that the cards have ample warranty and will be reused for the deep learning projects coming up. So they will be doing some decent work later on in their life.

Will be getting an A6000 later on to do some additional fast paced NLP trainings, but that will not come out of my pocket.

I could have shipped you a PC to Canadia. However with the taxes, duties, etc it would not have been worth it.
And potential shipping damage would have been an issue ...

Nice setup, I was just wondering last time how good are this PCIe extenders?
Are they just extender or could they be connected to USB3 ports?

Alex

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84476 on: March 05, 2021, 07:08:20 am »
Forgot the charger on my Lenovo laptop the other day but, hey, I'm an electronics engineer, right? That's not gonna stop me? I have a bench supply and figuring out that funky odd connector is childs plat, amirite?

Long story short, I send it back to the store I got it from (still under warranty). "No, sir, I have no idea why it won't accept the power supply anymore".  :palm: :palm:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, syau, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84477 on: March 05, 2021, 07:38:36 am »
Forgot the charger on my Lenovo laptop the other day but, hey, I'm an electronics engineer, right? That's not gonna stop me? I have a bench supply and figuring out that funky odd connector is childs plat, amirite?

Long story short, I send it back to the store I got it from (still under warranty). "No, sir, I have no idea why it won't accept the power supply anymore".  :palm: :palm:

Whoops. There’s usually a 7A fuse and much more fragile MOSFET which blows up if you do anything wrong on them at least on the T440-T470 series. New board time  :-DD

Incidentally I did actually have one hooked up to a power supply for a bit when they had the circular connectors because the actual cable next to the plug broke off entirely  :-DD.  I cut half the plug off and soldered the remaining stubs of conductor to some mains cable and wired that to a generic SMPS module I had lying around.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:40:21 am by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84478 on: March 05, 2021, 07:41:56 am »
and before I forget... it’s £1 eBay listing weekend here. So all the cheapos who haven’t listed anything for the last two weeks will be out in force. I am in buying mode this week  :popcorn:

Edit: TQ D755 might be out for delivery today already. Fingers crossed they can package stuff  :scared:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:45:11 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84479 on: March 05, 2021, 07:49:00 am »

Whoops. There’s usually a 7A fuse and much more fragile MOSFET which blows up if you do anything wrong on them at least on the T440-T470 series. New board time  :-DD

Incidentally I did actually have one hooked up to a power supply for a bit when they had the circular connectors because the actual cable next to the plug broke off entirely  :-DD.  I cut half the plug off and soldered the remaining stubs of conductor to some mains cable and wired that to a generic SMPS module I had lying around.

Yeah, had the PSU on a 2A limit, so it won't be the fuse (accidently a 230W power brick so it won't be fused for 7A). I guess something fragile on went pop. The square connector is actually pretty nice but not to reverse engineer. Apparently.

Had perhaps a dozen laptops before wired up in every possible way (including off the ODB port of a car), this is my first real fail. :'(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84480 on: March 05, 2021, 08:03:40 am »
Are you sure you let it have enough juice? It will use the PDU as a primary source. I doubt 2A is enough to get it going.

As for the square ones, hate them. This is the remains of the one on my T440. They are better than the USB-C ones though which are not even on a daughterboard  :palm:. Of course if you knock the connector then you’ve had it. Bye bye thinkpad for me. Even the bottom end MacBook Airs have all connectors on replaceable daughterboards!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84481 on: March 05, 2021, 08:09:04 am »
Did some more research. There’s an ACDC_ID pin that needs configuring. So +20V to inside contacts on side of connectors. GND to shell and there needs to be a resistor from the middle pin to the contacts  as per :

Looking at the schematic of the T440 it won’t power up the MOSFET if that resistor isn’t present.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84482 on: March 05, 2021, 08:18:58 am »
Yep, based my hack on that diagram, clearly fucked up something. To be clear: the problem was not that the hack wasn't working, it's that it does diddly squad when connected to the original charger.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84483 on: March 05, 2021, 08:33:47 am »
Ahhhh RIP  :-DD. I’ve run out of fingers to count the things I’ve incinerated now. You’re in good company.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84484 on: March 05, 2021, 08:41:17 am »
Given those diagrams if you accidentally placed +DCV to the center pin of the connector then bye-bye MOSFET.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84485 on: March 05, 2021, 08:45:41 am »
got this morning a message from Mouser that my order has been processed and will be delivered. ETA: Monday.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84486 on: March 05, 2021, 08:54:08 am »
got this morning a message from Mouser that my order has been processed and will be delivered. ETA: Monday.

Yea, I got a msg that mine is projected to ship today. But the bummer is I paid for UPS 2nd day air but UPS does not deliver on weekends. So it should show up Monday.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84487 on: March 05, 2021, 08:57:48 am »

Yea, I got a msg that mine is projected to ship today. But the bummer is I paid for UPS 2nd day air but UPS does not deliver on weekends. So it should show up Monday.

Very bad timing. Happens often these days.  :-\
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84488 on: March 05, 2021, 09:13:21 am »

Very bad timing. Happens often these days.  :-\

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. I suspect that perhaps they were still badly backlogged on some big corporate accounts that they need to clear first. They have spoiled me over the years. Whenever I ordered on a weekend that Monday it ships. And if I order early on a weekday it ships the same day. So waiting a week for an order to ship is definitely not the norm. I'll see what happens at the end of this month when I order parts for the Type 422. I would figure any backlog should be cleared by then.   

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84489 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:01 am »
Think you have issues with Mouser try !@#$%ing evilbay Global freight a week to move across a warehouse  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84490 on: March 05, 2021, 09:21:47 am »
Think you have issues with Mouser try !@#$%ing evilbay Global freight a week to move across a warehouse  :palm:

Well, 2 big reasons you're fucked. First, USPS is involved.  :-- And 2nd, I'll bet Global freight has to deal with US Customs.  :-- :-- Promptness is not in their vocabulary. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84491 on: March 05, 2021, 09:24:36 am »
Given those diagrams if you accidentally placed +DCV to the center pin of the connector then bye-bye MOSFET.  :palm:

Actually should be ok. The drain is connected to the +20v input rather than the gate and there’s a voltage clamp and fuse on the input. I reckon the fuse just went bang on that. It’s a $0.10 part which is frustrating as it’s soldered on the board. PTC and active clamp would have been nicer.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #84492 on: March 05, 2021, 09:35:55 am »
I need a NASA mug😁

This one?   ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143890235644
That is cool, but the seller doesn't send to Aus, I need to do some searching😁
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84493 on: March 05, 2021, 09:52:07 am »
@Brumby it really depends on what you need for your CAD stuff..
I might be able to cobble together a mainboard, an i5-8400, 16GB of RAM and a Quadro 4000. It is not a high end rig by far, but it would be a good hexacore with a fair amount of memory to get you started. It will not be suitable for video editing, but for entry level CAD this should be a workable system. If you want me to look into that please let me know.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84494 on: March 05, 2021, 09:55:32 am »
I need a NASA mug😁

This one?   ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143890235644
That is cool, but the seller doesn't send to Aus, I need to do some searching😁

I can play parcel proxy if you want. :-)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84495 on: March 05, 2021, 10:30:52 am »
I might be able to cobble together a mainboard, an i5-8400, 16GB of RAM and a Quadro 4000. It is not a high end rig by far, but it would be a good hexacore with a fair amount of memory to get you started. It will not be suitable for video editing, but for entry level CAD this should be a workable system. If you want me to look into that please let me know.

Temptress.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84496 on: March 05, 2021, 10:36:15 am »

Temptress.

That would be just a nice excess to CAD requirements  :-DD >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84497 on: March 05, 2021, 10:40:34 am »
A useful improvement over what I using right now....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84498 on: March 05, 2021, 10:41:07 am »
You're enabling again..... 

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84499 on: March 05, 2021, 10:45:32 am »
You're enabling again.....

You are misunderstanding that. Bean is just only very kind to you...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf