Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14405584 times)

med6753, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84500 on: March 05, 2021, 10:52:32 am »
Yes .... I'm counting the boxes I have because of his kindness..........................

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84501 on: March 05, 2021, 10:57:21 am »
Which proofs my assumption, that bean IS a very kind person.
And you can count on him every time.

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84502 on: March 05, 2021, 11:07:42 am »
Yes.... and I have to redesign and rebuild my bench to accommodate several of these boxes.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84503 on: March 05, 2021, 11:10:58 am »
That is a nice one that is!

Toellner TOE 8735-2
starting bid: 199.- Euro, currently zero bids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133680309577

And, as usual: NAWTS.

Oh yes, that beats my older 8735 hands down! Mine has only 0..15 V and the symmetric output is fixed at ±12 V.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84504 on: March 05, 2021, 11:11:20 am »
What a good friend you are having in bean. He is keeping you busy which is good for physcal AND mental health!  :-+ :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84505 on: March 05, 2021, 11:12:35 am »
That is a nice one that is!

Toellner TOE 8735-2
starting bid: 199.- Euro, currently zero bids.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133680309577

And, as usual: NAWTS.

Oh yes, that beats my older 8735 hands down! Mine has only 0..15 V and the symmetric output is fixed at ±12 V.

Three days to go and still zero bids. :)
Chances are good ...

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84506 on: March 05, 2021, 11:19:52 am »
Who little old innocent me enabling >:D :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84507 on: March 05, 2021, 11:29:06 am »
Yeah, well, the reason I'm looking at a better machine for CAD is to play with your laser cutter design...

...so you're responsible for that, too.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84508 on: March 05, 2021, 11:46:53 am »
Together with the 8060A I got an AVO Multiminor and a Hung Chang toy. The Hung Chang is never coming close to being used; it's down right dangerous.  The Multiminor looks superficially OK, but is as of yet untested; my plan is to assess it this weekend. In the repair queue I've also got a Model 7 Avometer that looks OK from the outside but is somehow broken; no reaction on any range is detected.

None of these will be turned into a lamp.

:phew:

As far as the telephone; I've got an Asterisk PABX at home where one of my Grandstream ATAs has support for pulse dialling, including the Swedish system where -- properly -- 0 is less than 1.

0 < 1. Cool and makes sense. But how many pulses does 0 generate? Less than 1? ^-^

0 on a rotary dial generates 10 pulses. That is why it is next to 9 not 1. If you had a 10 position electromechanical selector in the exchange it would go back to it's original position when fed 10 pulses so actual position incement would 0. In reality the selector advances 10 steps, but you would confuse people if you put a "10" in the middle of a 'phone number. Early example of human machine interface logic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #84509 on: March 05, 2021, 12:18:37 pm »
Together with the 8060A I got an AVO Multiminor and a Hung Chang toy. The Hung Chang is never coming close to being used; it's down right dangerous.  The Multiminor looks superficially OK, but is as of yet untested; my plan is to assess it this weekend. In the repair queue I've also got a Model 7 Avometer that looks OK from the outside but is somehow broken; no reaction on any range is detected.

As far as the telephone; I've got an Asterisk PABX at home where one of my Grandstream ATAs has support for pulse dialling, including the Swedish system where -- properly -- 0 is less than 1.

0 < 1. Cool and makes sense. But how many pulses does 0 generate? Less than 1? ^-^

I know you're trying to pull my leg, but, just to be explicit:

The swedish system is:
DigitPulses

...et cetera up to 9.

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #84510 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:21 pm »
Yeah, well, the reason I'm looking at a better machine for CAD is to play with your laser cutter design...

What do you currently have?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84511 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:47 pm »

I know you're trying to pull my leg, but, just to be explicit:

The swedish system is:
DigitPulses

...et cetera up to 9.

But this would mean, that on the old phone with the dialing scale it goes like 0, 1, 2, ... 9 and not as in Germany from 1, 2, 3, ... 9, 0

Example: the famous W48

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84512 on: March 05, 2021, 12:58:03 pm »
Trust the Swedes and New Zealanders to be difficult  :D
You learn something new every day.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #84513 on: March 05, 2021, 01:00:57 pm »

What do you currently have?

AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core 2.5Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB graphics card
ASUS M3A mainboard

Running Win 7 64 bit.  (I need Win 7 for XP mode support as I have hardware that still functions well for desired purpose and doesn't have driver support past XP)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84514 on: March 05, 2021, 01:06:07 pm »

Now you're listening to the song of the nulls...

mnem
...and it tastes like the color purple.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84515 on: March 05, 2021, 01:11:21 pm »
Trust the Swedes and New Zealanders to be difficult  :D
:-//
What did we do ?
Kiwi and Aussie flags are flags look very similar.......those Aussies are always doing underarm tricks.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84516 on: March 05, 2021, 01:13:01 pm »
Yes.... and I have to redesign and rebuild my bench to accommodate several of these boxes.

So bean also provides job security as well. Win-Win, sez I!!! :-DD

mnem
bean, where's my coffee...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84517 on: March 05, 2021, 01:32:37 pm »
all those newer boards will only support W7 in a VM, so anything beyond Skylake i*-6* will not cut it for you.
The 1060 6GB is faster than the Quadro 4k by a reasonable margin, there is no need to upgrade that.

I think you have 3 avenues:
1) go for an old haswell board with an i5-4590 or newer. This will give you a notable performance boost for very reasonable money. Upgradable to i7-4790k or so.  I could be talked into letting one go ...
2) go for a Haswell X99 quad channel and a Xeon E5-26xxv3. If you can get hold of that, it's still good bang for bucks. However at least 3 times as expensive as option 1)
3) go for a skylake board and an I5-6500 or better. Decent boards, decent performance, about 2 - 3 x as expensive as option 1)
4) get an x370 or B350 board, mount a Ryzen 5 3600 on it and knacker around until you get W7 up and running. Once you do: 2 - 3 x the speed of 1). Fastest of all options listed, but most expensive one.

1) you could potentially get for 100 - 120 Brussels Pesos (board mem, cpu) plus shipping. It will work with your 1060.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84518 on: March 05, 2021, 01:38:12 pm »
Fuck my life does anyone know how to package stuff?!?!!

D755 arrived. That’s all the packaging you see there. It was floating in the box with 4 inches headroom. All the outer packaging was destroyed. We’re talking 10kg scope here.

It appears it may have survived unscathed as I can’t see any cosmetic damage at least. Time will tell. I’m not powering it up yet.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84519 on: March 05, 2021, 01:46:28 pm »

D755 arrived. That’s all the packaging you see there. It was floating in the box with 4 inches headroom. All the outer packaging was destroyed. We’re talking 10kg scope here.

It appears it may have survived unscathed as I can’t see any cosmetic damage at least. Time will tell. I’m not powering it up yet.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84520 on: March 05, 2021, 02:01:27 pm »

My million dollar idea: A working [SMITE] button for your keyboard.

mnem
as a service, of course. >:D

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:03:50 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84521 on: March 05, 2021, 02:06:04 pm »
Yep. I can’t find anything visibly wrong with it which probably says something about telequipment. Will power it up later and see what happens. The special mains plug that TQ use has disintegrated but I sort of expect that and will be replacing it anyway and it looks like it died years ago.

It is ex ministry of defence and has crows foot on it. Last cal April 1980  :-DD

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84522 on: March 05, 2021, 02:13:22 pm »

So, uhm, that's an actual company that send you that?  :o

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #84523 on: March 05, 2021, 02:19:56 pm »
Yep. I can’t find anything visibly wrong with it which probably says something about telequipment. Will power it up later and see what happens. The special mains plug that TQ use has disintegrated but I sort of expect that and will be replacing it anyway and it looks like it died years ago.
Yep I shoehorned IEC socket in place of that infernal  :rant: connector in the D83 I had.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:01:21 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84524 on: March 05, 2021, 02:56:34 pm »

CDL
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1185460

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf