Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14781479 times)

Zoli, Vince, wkb, zepto and 190 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84650 on: March 07, 2021, 11:13:05 am »

I'm still on the same tank of petrol that I filled in Feb. 2020! but the battery seems to be holding up.

McBryce.

I wouldn't be too proud of that. Gasoline after several months starts to break down. It will form varnish and deposits in the fuel pump, fuel filter, and those expensive fuel injectors. Gas powered lawn equipment that's going to sit idle for 6 months over Winter has the remaining fuel in the tank treated with a product called "Stabil" or an alternative is run it until it's out of fuel. I'm sure there's a similar product across the pond. I suggest treating the remaining gas in your tank as soon as you can. And then fill up with fresh gas and treat that too.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #84651 on: March 07, 2021, 11:19:07 am »

I'm still on the same tank of petrol that I filled in Feb. 2020! but the battery seems to be holding up.

McBryce.

I wouldn't be too proud of that. Gasoline after several months starts to break down. It will form varnish and deposits in the fuel pump, fuel filter, and those expensive fuel injectors. Gas powered lawn equipment that's going to sit idle for 6 months over Winter has the remaining fuel in the tank treated with a product called "Stabil" or an alternative is run it until it's out of fuel. I'm sure there's a similar product across the pond. I suggest treating the remaining gas in your tank as soon as you can. And then fill up with fresh gas and treat that too.

Add to that the bio-ethanol added to modern petrol is hygroscopic, and the absorbed water causes corrosion and other problems.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84652 on: March 07, 2021, 11:57:11 am »
Probably one for tautech ...

Her body tensed and quivered as she felt wave after wave surge through it.
I probably should have told her about the new electric fence ...

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, beanflying, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84653 on: March 07, 2021, 12:16:43 pm »

McBryce.

That's why I "take it for a walk", to make sure the entire system is getting mixed and flushed often enough. As for hygroscopic, there shouldn't be any water other than the air moisture in the tank and the petrol I use has only 5% bio-ethanol in it. A lawnmower is a different story, metal tank with no proper sealing and open filter. I've been driving vintage cars for many many years, so I know what's required. I'd be more worried about the engine oil going bad and causing problems than the petrol.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84654 on: March 07, 2021, 12:21:20 pm »

McBryce.

That's why I "take it for a walk", to make sure the entire system is getting mixed and flushed often enough. As for hygroscopic, there shouldn't be any water other than the air moisture in the tank and the petrol I use has only 5% bio-ethanol in it. A lawnmower is a different story, metal tank with no proper sealing and open filter. I've been driving vintage cars for many many years, so I know what's required. I'd be more worried about the engine oil going bad and causing problems than the petrol.

McBryce.

As far as engine oil change my schedule is every 6000 miles or one year...whichever occurs first. Last year the Civic was driven only 2000 miles so after a year was up the oil was changed. And....synthetic oil only.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84655 on: March 07, 2021, 02:41:07 pm »
zeeees reminds me ...
gotta take da bike out for a ride.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84656 on: March 07, 2021, 03:03:16 pm »
Likewise I'm taking the Civic out today.  :-+

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #84657 on: March 07, 2021, 03:28:02 pm »
Likewise I'm taking the Civic out today.  :-+

Beware of catching fire.  ;D  8)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84658 on: March 07, 2021, 03:30:02 pm »
Bloody PC market is a complete shit show at the moment. I've been asked to build a PC for someone. Needs to be fairly basic "office and media playback" but silent and will run a 4k monitor. Figured if I bought an AMD CPU with integrated GPU that'd do the job but fuck that, no they are completely unobtainium. So looked for external GPUs and nope, they don't exist at the moment at all. Soooo looks like I'm going to have to build an Intel Comet Lake i5-10600 because it has a GPU on it which will drive the screen. Might as well just buy the poor fucker a NUC. Feeling dirty!  :(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84659 on: March 07, 2021, 03:32:19 pm »
Meanwhile in shopping issues in 'Stralia  ;D The big Goannas are just downright scary if you get bailed up by one in the bush like Snakes 'normally' they run but not always.

Looks like cousin Imogene lost another sitter and the wee beasties went on a Mall Crawl.  :-DD

mnem
there will be more.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84660 on: March 07, 2021, 03:32:49 pm »
Figured if I bought an AMD CPU with integrated GPU that'd do the job but fuck that, no they are completely unobtainium.

I'll sell you mine.  :P :P :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84661 on: March 07, 2021, 03:37:06 pm »
I know this is a bit off topic, but can someone tell me why - in this day and age - I can get a single monitor KVM switch for under $50, but if I want a second monitor switched as well, prices shoot to the $200-$300 range?

Makes me want to get 2 cheapies and see if I can slave one off the other.

Short version... that involves matrix switching, which is the bailiwick of Crestron, etc... they and their cohorts will make sure you pay "corporate toy" prices for any such technology. ;)

Same reason Quadro costs an arm and a left nut, even for models objectively less powerful than common mid-grade GPUs.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84662 on: March 07, 2021, 03:42:24 pm »
Furry New Zealand things  :-DD Red Heads the world over are still far more scary  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 03:43:56 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84663 on: March 07, 2021, 03:47:00 pm »
   Something TE related. Found a new knob for the TQ D755. Works nicely although it’s from the other side of the fence:

Blasphemer.  >:D

mnem
*starts handing out torches and pitchforks*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84664 on: March 07, 2021, 03:49:19 pm »
Can someone sanity check this for me. I am half asleep today.

Two things coming from Amazon: Case is Fractal Meshify C Mini, keyboard is cheap logitech wireless set. Already has an HDMI equipped monitor to plug this into. Dude is moving off a laptop.

Have I forgotten any bits?

This needs to get a mid-range GPU in it when they are available, possibly double the RAM and upgrade to an i7 down the line if he needs it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 03:50:58 pm by bd139 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84665 on: March 07, 2021, 03:52:32 pm »
Bloody PC market is a complete shit show at the moment. I've been asked to build a PC for someone. Needs to be fairly basic "office and media playback" but silent and will run a 4k monitor. Figured if I bought an AMD CPU with integrated GPU that'd do the job but fuck that, no they are completely unobtainium. So looked for external GPUs and nope, they don't exist at the moment at all. Soooo looks like I'm going to have to build an Intel Comet Lake i5-10600 because it has a GPU on it which will drive the screen. Might as well just buy the poor fucker a NUC. Feeling dirty!  :(

Hey, hey you :)
shhhhhh ...

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #84666 on: March 07, 2021, 03:59:26 pm »
today (Friday) the Power Desingns Model 2005A showed up at my doorstep.
I have promised to do a teardown and here we go:  :)

But is it working? Let's find out ...
I've connected it to my Keithley DMM7510 because I wanted to see how it behaves when switched on.
I've set the 2005A to 10V and it seems, it is ca. 3mV off. But let's see how it will drift.
Left to right: Some more measurement after ca. 2h uptime, The two pictures to the left are showing the complete plot so far. The overshoot can be seen very nicely and it seems it want to settle somewhere around 9.997200V (actually it shows 9.997238V). There are also some spikes downwards, no idea actually where they are coming from. Will observe this further. The two pictures to the right are showing the details of these spikes. There are also some spikes upwards. My guess is: they are caused when the heater of the oven gets switched on. will check this as well.

Edit:
Forgot to show some statistics and the settings of the meter:

The contacts of the rotary switches need some cleaning and the switch for the 10mV range is hard to rotate - need some cleaning and lubrication but besides from that all the knobs, verniers and switches are working very nice.

I do like this 2005A and I'm happy that I got one which can be directly connected to 230VAC.  :-+

Here's the turn-on transient for my 2020B.

Settings:
  • PD2020B: 9.99XV (i.e. 10V) with the potentiometer at 0.5 (i.e. 500µV)
  • Agilent 34410A: 100NPLC, autozero, so one reading every ~4s and 1000 readings in ~80minutes
  • The Agilent 34410A had been turned on for 3 hours before these measurements.
  • The PD had been off for >1week
Graphs:
  • RD2020B allows setting to 1mV; the major grid is 10% of that (100µV)
  • it was instantly accurate to 0.3mV, and only changed 0.5mV during warmup
  • the minor grid is the limit of tweakability using the potentiometer (10µV); stability is worse than the tweakability
After three hours the reading had settled to 9.999802V, with a standard deviation of 1.6µV. 0.15ppm noise is OK for me :)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:05:51 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, syau

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84667 on: March 07, 2021, 04:02:50 pm »

Two things coming from Amazon: Case is Fractal Meshify C Mini, keyboard is cheap logitech wireless set. Already has an HDMI equipped monitor to plug this into. Dude is moving off a laptop.

This needs to get a mid-range GPU in it when they are available, possibly double the RAM and upgrade to an i7 down the line if he needs it.

3am here (don't ask )  :palm: but CPU cooler in the box or even a quieter sensibly priced cooler ?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84668 on: March 07, 2021, 04:04:26 pm »

3am here (don't ask )  :palm: but CPU cooler in the box or even a quieter sensibly priced cooler ?

Yeah there’s one in the box but I’ve got a nice Be Quiet one lurking here that’ll go in it.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84669 on: March 07, 2021, 04:10:52 pm »

McBryce.

McBryce.
As far as engine oil change my schedule is every 6000 miles or one year...whichever occurs first. Last year the Civic was driven only 2000 miles so after a year was up the oil was changed. And....synthetic oil only.

*raises a paw*

A fellow Stabil/Store it-Start it true believer right here. I have one of those little Horror Fraught 1.2 KW generators bought for a pittance on Sidewalk Sale over a decade ago; I keep it in the original carton/packing on/under the shelves in the garage. My post-run checklist involves making sure the fuel in the tank has an appropriate treatment of stabilizer and then running the carb dry; something I try to do every 6 months or so.

When I moved to Houston, I knew I'd just done this... so quite confidently just packed the box away with my other stuff in the new garage... but I buried it so deep it was more than a year before I actually unearthed it again. When I did, I dreaded what I would find; to my horror, the date scribbled on the tank in Sharpie was 23 months prior.  Turns out "had just done it" was more like "did it 8-9 months before we moved". :palm:

Opened the fuel tank and looked inside with a flashlight; no evidence of water condensed at the bottom, and it didn't smell like old gasoline... just the same dull gasoline smell treated gas always has. :-//

So I took a chance and opened the petcock, primed it and pulled... it snorted on the first pull and started on the second, ran like the ~100 hour machine it was; evidently completely unaware of its 2 years' slumber. Once it cooled off, I filled the tank to the top and added a full-tank dose of Stabil, then turned the petcock off and ran it dry again. If I'm really lucky, I'll get to see it out of the trailer before we hit the 2 year mark AGAIN. ::)

I know of similar amazeballs from dozens of people with their boat motors, and of course from grand-dad who was a true believer with seasonally-used machines like the big diesel tractor (Miss Allis) and the combine. :-+

Also a true believer in full-synthetic oil...tho my personal preference, after seeing how dirty it gets doing a zillion oil changes in the dealership, is every 5K rather than the 6K or even 10K now recommended by the manufacturers. If it is dark but you can still see light through it while it is draining... That is when I feel it is a good time-frame. Also, every 1K for the first 3 changes to get rid of all the break-in detritus before it can do damage. This is part of my formula for a quarter million miles plus on every car I've owned for the last 3 decades.

mnem
"corn-TACT!!!" ~grand-dad sed it long before uncle Bumblefuck...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:19:45 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84670 on: March 07, 2021, 04:30:37 pm »

Welcome to my world. After almost 3 days scouring the intardnet and local vendors for something used but not utter crap at a sane price... just spent almost a grand on the boy's new entry-level Ryzen5-3600/16GB Ballistix DDR4-3600/Aorus EliteWiFi/Evo970 500GB gaming rig build.

I'm kicking down my old tempered-glass case, a 850W Corsair PSU and my old RTX 580 GPU; and haven't even begun shopping monitors/HID. |O

mnem
*grinding my testicles into a fine paste again...*
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:32:14 pm by mnementh »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #84671 on: March 07, 2021, 04:45:58 pm »
Corona-times.. home-office..

Need my car for a trip next monday. Didn't move it for ~6 months. Battery measured ~1,7V.   :palm:
[I really need to disconnect the battery when leaving the car unused for longer periods of time..]

What could I do?
Two-point strategy:
1. trying to reanimate the dead battery (takes the whole weekend).
2. buying a spare battery to be sure the car can be moved.. (buying a car battery on a Saturday in covid times is pricey, don't ask...)

2. was done quickly at a local shop.   :phew:

1. is still in progress but seems to bring back the battery (52Ah):
First try: Special car battery charger with 14.6V but practically no current draw.   :--
Second try: HP 6643A at 35V, 5A, CC mode: Battery started at ~26V, went down and settled at ~11.9V after 4h.
After the voltage had dropped to under 12V I noticed that the HP6643A put out loads of heat. :scared:
So I switched to my HP 6632B at 14.4V, 4A, CC mode to charge the battery from that ~11.9V to 14.3V at 0.7A now after roughly 11h.
Seems to have lost some capacity (charging isn't lossless..), put in ~55Ah.

Will test tomorrow by putting it back into the car and check voltage while starting the motor etc. Curious..   :-/O

For measuring the battery's voltage I used one of my 34401 DMMs at 6 1/2 digit resolution.   8)   :-DD

I've been "taking my car for a walk" once a month for the last year+. I charge it for a few hours before hand (6A - 13.8V) and then go for a 20Km drive. I'm still on the same tank of petrol that I filled in Feb. 2020! but the battery seems to be holding up.

McBryce.

I try to take the vehicles out for a spin at least weekly.  Not for the battery, but to prevent build-up of rust on the disk brakes (or rather, scrub off the rust off the disk before it accumulates enough to damage the pads).  The side benefit of weekly is that I do not have to worry about the battery.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84672 on: March 07, 2021, 04:51:27 pm »
@bd I don't know if it is worth shipping stuff to the UK, but if you are in dire need of stuff just let me know. Could send a mini-ITX build with either i5-8400 or i7-9700, 32GB mem, 2060 /2070 / 1660 TI as required. PSU would be appropriate (corsair RM 550)

Let me know ...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #84673 on: March 07, 2021, 04:57:36 pm »

McBryce.

Yes, that is a common problem with snowblowers here.  However, if you run it dry, make sure the carburator is not the type with a cup that can hold a bit of fuel.  If the rest of the system is run dry, what remains in the cup with evaporate faster, leaving a concentrated build-up of varnish.  Don't ask me how I know  :palm:

For small motors or anything that is going to sit, I always use the high-octane fuel here in the GWN.  The regular fuel contains lots of ethanol (up to 14% now I think), which breaks down faster, plus it does a bad number to a lot of different types of seals.  Most places have high-octane with no ethanol.

My local shop recommended "Briggs & Stratton Advanced Formula Fuel Treatment and Stabilizer" as the best additive in their experience.
Formulations might be different in different places.  It has done okay for me so far.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84674 on: March 07, 2021, 05:01:07 pm »
@bd I don't know if it is worth shipping stuff to the UK, but if you are in dire need of stuff just let me know. Could send a mini-ITX build with either i5-8400 or i7-9700, 32GB mem, 2060 /2070 / 1660 TI as required. PSU would be appropriate (corsair RM 550)

Let me know ...

Thanks for the offer but this dude wants a new, fully warrantied one :(

I tried to get him to buy a Mac but he called me a Mac fag and laughed  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, FransW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf