Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15311647 times)

duckduck and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85400 on: March 16, 2021, 08:28:27 pm »
Cheapo IC-Tester, super practical... Love it already.

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, BILLPOD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85401 on: March 16, 2021, 09:08:33 pm »
WWWA.org

Look it up.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #85402 on: March 16, 2021, 09:12:59 pm »
I found the problem with the Type 321A. Was doing some reading on the tin whisker problem with those Philips 2N2207's and decided to do some simple continuity checks. The transistors are in metal cases which are in holders securing them to the chassis. They are prone to have tin migration from the chip to the case. And since the cases are secured to the chassis the result is a short.

Q183 has a 16 ohm tin whisker short emitter to case.
Cool, nice work Sherlock !  :-+  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Connecteur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85403 on: March 16, 2021, 09:14:20 pm »
Without any markings, all I could do was an image search. After about 20 pages, I gave up.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85404 on: March 16, 2021, 09:27:37 pm »
I found the problem with the Type 321A. Was doing some reading on the tin whisker problem with those Philips 2N2207's and decided to do some simple continuity checks. The transistors are in metal cases which are in holders securing them to the chassis. They are prone to have tin migration from the chip to the case. And since the cases are secured to the chassis the result is a short.

Q183 has a 16 ohm tin whisker short emitter to case. I checked all the other 2N2207's and they are OK. I found two 2N2207's on Ebay for $10 USD including shipping. Ordered....and I realize the risk of using them because it's a known issue with these Philips transistors but I want to stay original if I can.

(Am I seeing a pattern here? Blue Phillips capacitors suck. Phillips GE transistors have tin whisker issues. Maybe Philips should have stuck with what they did best....rape audiophools with their over priced tubes.  :-DD)

You might be able to fix the transistor. Find the two pins with a short, charge up a 2200uF cap to about 5V or so and stick it across the junction in reverse (so it's not conducting through the transistor). Usually smokes the tin whisker.

Lift one of the legs of course!

Edit: purely by chance a Tek 422 has popped up about 4 miles from me. Buyer collects only.  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:32:02 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: factory, syau

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85405 on: March 16, 2021, 09:31:36 pm »

For a brief period Apple actually got this right.

Yes, I remember that period. I was way too deep in my own environment to want to do that, but it is pretty close to what Sun and a bunch of others who followed suit had with NIS+, but in the Apple case, less a lot of the horrible bugs and security holes.

I'm still running that own environment. I have bits and bobs of dot-files in my home directory that have been with me since the late 90s, and the Kerberos realm and AFS Cell I initiated back in say 2003 are still the same, but of course migrated to new hardware a bunch of times over the years (without migration related downtime, because they're built with longevity and manageability in mind). The Samba AD I run for the young ones Windows has its home directories in AFS (but Windows pukes user files all over C:\ because inside it is still a single-user non-networked toy OS, good for Minesweeper and viruses and that's all). My principle is that if it is in AFS, there's a chance I'll back it up, if not, prepare to cry. It's backed by a DNS service that's been running since last century, (my named.conf has its first RCS log entry from March 2000, but I had the server (then a Sun IPC with SunOS 5.7) running 1999, as this RCS entry from my zone file proves:
Code: [Select]
revision 1.1
date: 1999/03/07 16:07:48;  author: root;  state: Exp;
Initial revision

During this period, I've had several partners, worked for 6 different employers, lived 4 different places, become father to three children, but the domain name and IT system has stayed the same.
Yeah, call me entrenched.

You've just made me realise that my domain will have been up and running for 25 years, a whole frigging quarter century, later this year.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #85406 on: March 16, 2021, 09:32:45 pm »

You might be able to fix the transistor. Find the two pins with a short, charge up a 2200uF cap to about 5V or so and stick it across the junction in reverse (so it's not conducting through the transistor). Usually smokes the tin whisker.

I thought about trying something similar but with my luck I'll blow a hole in the case.  :scared: I might give it a try AFTER I get the replacements.  :-DD

Edit.....are you on the road yet to get the 422?  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #85407 on: March 16, 2021, 09:38:03 pm »
Cloud is faster and more reliable than half the shitty flash drives out there now. I got so fed up I've got a Samsung 970 Evo on a SATA/USB bridge  |O

Yebbutt... not shitty name-brand ones are sooo cheap now... I have literally a fistful of 'em. Windoze boot/install off a random 32GB Kingston 3.1 USB drive I bought a couple years ago for $15 off Amazon took like 7 minutes last night. :-//

Samsung BAR are rated 200-400MB/s and cost $20-40. I have a couple of them too.  ;)

I realize that's nowhere near the 530-580MB/s the EVO 970 is rated for (good drive... wifey came home and kissed on the lips after its first day at work... ;) ); but how close to that are you really getting after all your bits pass through the bridge and one or two USB controllers...?

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85408 on: March 16, 2021, 09:45:24 pm »

I thought about trying something similar but with my luck I'll blow a hole in the case.  :scared: I might give it a try AFTER I get the replacements.  :-DD

Edit.....are you on the road yet to get the 422?  :P :-DD

Nah it’s a bloody auction. Got to wait  >:(

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85409 on: March 16, 2021, 10:07:29 pm »
Hmm, in my watch list too >:D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85410 on: March 16, 2021, 10:17:12 pm »
had to take swmbo in for some medical imaging this morning (am convinced it was unnecessary, but the doc has kids in college).

now she is hot hot hot! 

was reading 6000 gamma counts per minute when we got home.

4 hours later and she is down to 3000.

so it was not Fl-18  (1.8 hour half life).  and it was not Iodine-123 (13 hour half life).

hmmmmmm.  technetium 99m is close at 6 hours half life.  must be Tc-99m. guess my counter is not all that accurate.

WAIT A MINUTE.....told her not to pee until i had at least 24 hours of data.  bet she cheated and reduced her radioactive load.

women!  no interest what so ever in science!

do you think it is safe to be around her?   maybe i should sleep in the bathtub?  (the last time i poked the wand in her chest she made a rather uncalled for threat)
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85411 on: March 16, 2021, 10:20:37 pm »

For a brief period Apple actually got this right.

Yes, I remember that period. I was way too deep in my own environment to want to do that, but it is pretty close to what Sun and a bunch of others who followed suit had with NIS+, but in the Apple case, less a lot of the horrible bugs and security holes.

I'm still running that own environment. I have bits and bobs of dot-files in my home directory that have been with me since the late 90s, and the Kerberos realm and AFS Cell I initiated back in say 2003 are still the same, but of course migrated to new hardware a bunch of times over the years (without migration related downtime, because they're built with longevity and manageability in mind). The Samba AD I run for the young ones Windows has its home directories in AFS (but Windows pukes user files all over C:\ because inside it is still a single-user non-networked toy OS, good for Minesweeper and viruses and that's all). My principle is that if it is in AFS, there's a chance I'll back it up, if not, prepare to cry. It's backed by a DNS service that's been running since last century, (my named.conf has its first RCS log entry from March 2000, but I had the server (then a Sun IPC with SunOS 5.7) running 1999, as this RCS entry from my zone file proves:
Code: [Select]
revision 1.1
date: 1999/03/07 16:07:48;  author: root;  state: Exp;
Initial revision

During this period, I've had several partners, worked for 6 different employers, lived 4 different places, become father to three children, but the domain name and IT system has stayed the same.
Yeah, call me entrenched.

You've just made me realise that my domain will have been up and running for 25 years, a whole frigging quarter century, later this year.
Started out in 1988, got my class c net and domain from nic.ddn.mil

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85412 on: March 16, 2021, 10:25:48 pm »
Hmm, in my watch list too >:D

I will fight you for it  :box: :-DD

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #85413 on: March 16, 2021, 10:26:33 pm »
... works for the whisker that is causing the short right now.
But its not safe, because a whisker never comes alone. The growth of the other ones could repeat the problem any time in future.
Much better to replace the part.

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/anecdote/af114-transistor/index.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:28:46 pm by Wolfgang »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #85414 on: March 16, 2021, 10:41:34 pm »
I had it under control.  :)  I really did. No, I mean it..   :D I really, really had my test equipment addiction handled.   ;D  Until I didn't.  >:(

Throughout all of 2020, I managed to limit myself to ONE new piece of test equipment. I bought a new Rigol DL3021A Programmable Load. And that was it. I am not an addict. I have this under control. No, I mean it. I do...

And then this week hit. And the bug bit. Something snapped inside of me. I couldn't control my compulsions anymore. The floodgates opened.

Now I either have, or have on the way:

1. An official EEVBlog BM786 multimeter. I mean.. that's not so bad. Who wouldn't want an official EEVBlog meter, right? And you can never have too many multi-meters. Right? RIGHT?!?

2. A Keysight 16862A Logic Analyzer - Errm... it was like 85% of the original price, and it's from the "official Keysight Ebay Store" and has a warranty and everything. And who doesn't need a second logic analyzer? Especially one that's nicer than the existing HP boat anchor? That's not so bad. I'm not really an addict. This is all totally reasonable. Right? RIGHT???

3. An Extech 380193 LCR Meter - It's not like these are real expensive. Or take up a lot of room. And you can *always* use an LCR meter, no? I'm right and you know I'm right. High Five!!

4. A Rigol RSA3015N 1.5 GHz Spectrum Analyzer - Umm... I didn't have a proper spectrum analyzer, OK? Who are you to judge me anyway. I am not an addict. You lot shut up. People who live in glass houses and all that. I can stop anytime I want anyway.

5. A Rigol MSO7024 200 mhz,4 channel MSO - I ah... that is. Well.. you see... that is. Urk. I mean, my old scope was only 100mhz, OK? And I uh... really needed the logic analyzer part because I didn't already.. have... two. logic. analyzers. It's OK. Really. I needed it. For um... stuff. Yeah. You know. Aaaah. Urrrm...   I might have a problem.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85415 on: March 16, 2021, 10:47:13 pm »
... works for the whisker that is causing the short right now.
But its not safe, because a whisker never comes alone. The growth of the other ones could repeat the problem any time in future.
Much better to replace the part.

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/anecdote/af114-transistor/index.html

100% agree. But good test to see if you need to order any more bits at the same time  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85416 on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:42 pm »
I had it under control.  :)  I really did. No, I mean it..   :D I really, really had my test equipment addiction handled.   ;D  Until I didn't.  >:(

Throughout all of 2020, I managed to limit myself to ONE new piece of test equipment. I bought a new Rigol DL3021A Programmable Load. And that was it. I am not an addict. I have this under control. No, I mean it. I do...

And then this week hit. And the bug bit. Something snapped inside of me. I couldn't control my compulsions anymore. The floodgates opened.

1. An official EEVBlog BM786 multimeter. I mean.. that's not so bad. Who wouldn't want an official EEVBlog meter, right? And you can never have too many multi-meters. Right? RIGHT?!?

2. A Keysight 16862A Logic Analyzer - Errm... it was like 85% of the original price, and it's from the "official Keysight Ebay Store" and has a warranty and everything. And who doesn't need a second logic analyzer? Especially one that's nicer than the existing HP boat anchor? That's not so bad. I'm not really an addict. This is all totally reasonable. Right? RIGHT???

3. An Extech 380193 LCR Meter - It's not like these are real expensive. Or take up a lot of room. And you can *always* use an LCR meter, no? I'm right and you know I'm right. High Five!!

4. A Rigol RSA3015N 1.5 GHz Spectrum Analyzer - Umm... I didn't have a proper spectrum analyzer, OK? Who are you to judge me anyway. I am not an addict. You lot shut up. People who live in glass houses and all that. I can stop anytime I want anyway.

5. A Rigol MSO7024 200 mhz,4 channel MSO - I ah... that is. Well.. you see... that is. Urk. I mean, my old scope was only 100mhz, OK? And I uh... really needed the logic analyzer part because I didn't already.. have... two. logic. analyzers. It's OK. Really. I needed it. For um... stuff. Yeah. You know. Aaaah. Urrrm...   I might have a problem.

really don't see a problem here.   the problem starts when the building inspector says your structure will no longer support your collection.

and then you call in a structural engineer to size additional supports.

free range primate

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85417 on: March 16, 2021, 10:58:06 pm »

Nothing a little lithium can't cure! :D

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85418 on: March 16, 2021, 11:01:28 pm »
... you should'nt. Whiskers grow even in transistors sitting on the shelf.
Ordering those wont help. You need a newer part with whiskerless interior. I prefer gold.   :-DD >:D

.. or (just saying) a new scope.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:19:00 pm by Wolfgang »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #85419 on: March 16, 2021, 11:03:25 pm »

really don't see a problem here.   the problem starts when the building inspector says your structure will no longer support your collection.

...or just don't let the building inspector in in the first place...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85420 on: March 16, 2021, 11:05:20 pm »

.. or just go on like you did until the well-known DBA (drained bank account) nonlinear regulation mechanism sets in and everything is fine again.  >:D
There is a *lot* of pro equipment that can do that very fast.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #85421 on: March 16, 2021, 11:06:31 pm »

Or more TE.
For example:
- some proper lab PSU
- a nice VNA
- benchtop DMMs e.g. a 34401A for the beginning
- some references: voltage reference, resistor reference, 10MHz lab refrence ...

:popcorn:  ;D

Edit:

This is a screenshot from the newest video from The Signal Path.
It illustrates very well what I'm meaning.  >:D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:19:26 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, SilverSolder, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85422 on: March 16, 2021, 11:08:39 pm »
Cloud is faster and more reliable than half the shitty flash drives out there now. I got so fed up I've got a Samsung 970 Evo on a SATA/USB bridge  |O

Yebbutt... not shitty name-brand ones are sooo cheap now... I have literally a fistful of 'em. Windoze boot/install off a random 32GB Kingston 3.1 USB drive I bought a couple years ago for $15 off Amazon took like 7 minutes last night. :-//

Samsung BAR are rated 200-400MB/s and cost $20-40. I have a couple of them too.  ;)

I realize that's nowhere near the 530-580MB/s the EVO 970 is rated for (good drive... wifey came home and kissed on the lips after its first day at work... ;) ); but how close to that are you really getting after all your bits pass through the bridge and one or two USB controllers...?

mnem
 :-/O

Hmmm. Typical turd drive...

55 gig into a 256gb stick has taken 2 hours so far to get to 38%.

Evo ... whole lot = 10 minutes.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85423 on: March 16, 2021, 11:12:23 pm »
I have absolutely nothing with watches... But I *do* have nixies on my wrist  :-DD
I bet that's a bastard to read in sunlight though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85424 on: March 16, 2021, 11:20:36 pm »

County Engineer for Ulster County, New York tipped you off did he?   :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf