Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14820129 times)

EggertEnjoyer123 and 166 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95825 on: July 28, 2021, 06:37:01 pm »
Can't have no tomfoolery in the Queen's army.

I'd be very surprised if those fliers were Army. After all, Royal Air Force is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, separate air forces -- a concept that did not dawn on Pentagon until there actually was a Pentagon -- the USAF is a post-war construction.

/Nit-pickingly  :-DD

When I said "army" I meant it to be all encompassing of army, air force, navy, etc.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95826 on: July 28, 2021, 06:48:55 pm »
When I said "army" I meant it to be all encompassing of army, air force, navy, etc.

Try calling some of those nice boys and girls coming out of MCRD San Diego "Army" and then be prepared to run.

I was Army in my short draft service in the 80s and then, recently, as employee, I did mostly work with the Air Force (because the Army can work with runners and the navy uses signal flags  :-DD -- the air force needs actual comms networks.. ), but the regiment I was in is a all-services command.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95827 on: July 28, 2021, 07:36:54 pm »
Saw this and thought of us  :-DD

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95828 on: July 28, 2021, 07:46:47 pm »
… my wife could not smile about  :-//

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95829 on: July 28, 2021, 07:58:35 pm »
… my wife could not smile about  :-//
Citing my ex-wife (use russian accent, strange wording is intentional):
'Ich moechte nieecht leben in eine scheisse elektrische laboratorium'!
 :-//

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, tonyalbus, Bad_Driver, DH7DN

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95830 on: July 28, 2021, 08:00:00 pm »
I translated that as "I'm not living in a shitty electronics lab".

Got to give my ex wife some due: she wasn't bothered. Mostly because she was fucking someone else I suspect  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95831 on: July 28, 2021, 08:12:27 pm »
The lady cop just shakes her head. As long as she has my easy chair and her British TV shows she's....er......fast asleep.  :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95832 on: July 28, 2021, 08:28:54 pm »
I just saw that I have 723 thanked posts, which reminded me of

1240095-0

This made me notice that I have only 16 723's in stock, of which a mere 5 are milspec. I must take corrective action on the latter figure.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, BILLPOD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95833 on: July 28, 2021, 08:30:16 pm »

Taking a break from packing and working on this to eat a late lunch and peek in here. 2S 18650 pack with BMS is made and now controller PCB attached with a dab of silly-cone RTV; letting it cure while I eat and do a few other things to prevent myself from knocking the damned thing out of place so it won't fit inside the hilt like last iteration. While much more work with Frustion360, I greatly prefer this design as it completely encapsulates the cells. :-+

Next up is to make a speaker, charging and ballast PCB in the space behind the pack; it will locate right in that position inside the hilt.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:32:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95834 on: July 28, 2021, 09:02:24 pm »

(Attachment Link)

This made me notice that I have only 16 723's in stock, of which a mere 5 are milspec. I must take corrective action on the latter figure.

May I suggest restocking with some genuine Tesla MAA723’s for some variation: https://www.ebay.de/itm/283435987337

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95835 on: July 28, 2021, 10:18:47 pm »

(Attachment Link)

May I suggest restocking with some genuine Tesla MAA723’s for some variation: https://www.ebay.de/itm/283435987337
Of those 5, 4 are TO-100. So I rather thought about some Cerdip parts. And western!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95836 on: July 28, 2021, 10:21:40 pm »
Ah yes there’s nothing like the cold industrial heaviness of a cerdip package  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95837 on: July 28, 2021, 10:45:51 pm »
Ah yes there’s nothing like the cold industrial heaviness of a cerdip package  :-+

Says BD dropping one into an anti-static tube. [Fx: racking pump action shotgun noise.]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95838 on: July 28, 2021, 10:52:17 pm »
Bastard power went out for 2 1/2 hours here.

Two principal effects: latest long test run on the GPSDO got interrupted and my "Really fussy, got to be power cycled just right" 10G over copper network card went walkabout for another extra 1/2 hour until the stars aligned just right for it to bring both its VLANs up at the same time.

Also messed up the main 'media store' disk which is now having a long fsck and pulled the rug from under the HP 53132A which was getting its last little bit of stability back having spent its first few days retracing the ageing on the free option 012 OCXO (I'm still really chuffed getting that for free).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #95839 on: July 28, 2021, 11:18:07 pm »

LM723J 833QS rulez !  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95840 on: July 29, 2021, 12:26:18 am »
That reminds me of the paid pen testers we had come in who stuck on Amazon jackets to get into the building and used a tape measure to unlock the security doors on a floor from the inside as they had really poor proximity detectors on them.

I used to leave a can of "canned air" tucked away in the elevator vestibule of a previous employer. If I forgot my badge I'd flip the can upside-down and stick the wand between the double doors aimed up towards the PIR sensor above the doors on the other side. Doors would unlock. That attack can be stopped by adding a push-bar door latch, among other things. Companies spend all this money trying to prevent hackers and then skip the basics. My current employer takes all this stuff seriously. Regarding defeating access controls to the server room the famous saying is "if you haven't got physical security, you haven't got security".

One of my last employers before retirement was really silly about security.
They wouldn't let us have a schematic of their "motherboard", which was really just a big interface board connecting various different proprietary sensors to one of a couple of PCs, citing "intellectual property", despite the board just being a lot of bog standard public domain circuitry.
This, of course, made troubleshooting difficult.

On the other hand, they were sloppy in the extreme with their software security, which was the only place they should have been strict.
One time, they lost a laptop with the current version on it.

Even if that hadn't happened, you could break into the building "with a sharp fingernail", hide a cheap "over the counter" RF equipped surveillance camera looking at one of the IT guy's PC keyboards, record his/her password remotely, then come back the next night with a USB drive & steal the software.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #95841 on: July 29, 2021, 12:26:37 am »
So Larry Minor and his mum decide to go for a road trip in his 8 wheeler to deliver a mates tractor 2.5 hrs away then backload with milk powder for calves that arrive next week.

So dad can you keep an eye on that cow that's about to calve and get the 7 cattle into the yards for the truck that's to collect them early arvo......and then they pinched the dog that just loves truck rides !  ::)

So the day went like this.....calve the furking cow....truck arrived 1.5 hrs early and so picture tautech having to be the furking dog....and under pressure with the truckie wondering what he'd struck.

Anyways all done and attached is some little four footed proof of the mornings events.  :phew:
Time for a lie down..........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95842 on: July 29, 2021, 12:33:27 am »
So Larry Minor and his mum decide to go for a road trip in his 8 wheeler to deliver a mates tractor 2.5 hrs away then backload with milk powder for calves that arrive next week.

So dad can you keep an eye on that cow that's about to calve and get the 7 cattle into the yards for the truck that's to collect them early arvo......and then they pinched the dog that just loves truck rides !  ::)

So the day went like this.....calve the furking cow....truck arrived 1.5 hrs early and so picture tautech having to be the furking dog....and under pressure with the truckie wondering what he'd struck.

Anyways all done and attached is some little four footed proof of the mornings events.  :phew:

Why does the image of "Footrot Flats" come to mind?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95843 on: July 29, 2021, 12:40:25 am »

Why does the image of "Footrot Flats" come to mind?
:)
I've been called lots of things in my time but never Wal.......Wally maybe and some unprintable names......

Always wanted a cat that was worthy of being named Horse !

Tribute to Murray Ball the creator of Footrot Flats:
https://youtu.be/43nCDIZD0tc
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:55:34 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #95844 on: July 29, 2021, 01:57:01 am »
Same area of the North Island and it sticks in my memory as I have been on the tugging end in much younger times. Now I am older and wiser I will have mine on a plate  >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95845 on: July 29, 2021, 02:39:19 am »
It's very rare to see any sort of military aircraft in this area other than once in a while catch a C-17 flown by the NY Air Guard out of Stewart Airport in Newburgh. They used to fly C-5's but they were retired.

But when I was a kid and Stewart Airport was Stewart AFB different goodies all the time. Biggest (and loudest) was multiple flights of C-119 Flying Box Cars. Upwards of a dozen or more flying at low level such that the house shook. There was also a squadron of B-57's, the US version of the British Canberra Bomber, until they were sent to Vietnam where they promptly got shot to hell. The Army had flights of CH-21 "Flying Bananas" which are the twin rotor ancestor to the Chinook. They also got sent to Vietnam. Assorted F-86, T-33, F-101 and did catch an F-104 once. When I was in 6th grade our class took a guided tour of the base and saw a lot of the same aircraft up close.

And up until 1962 the U.S. Navy still used blimps for coastal patrol. Once in a while one would fly up the Hudson River. Now that duty is done by the Coast Guard in Dolphin helicopters.

The "powers that be" considered Western Australia to be a bit of a backwater, so there weren't that many military 'planes around, apart from the fairly regular sight of DH Vampire two seat trainers from Pearce RAAF, but we had the occasional visit from other things.

In the late '50s, we lived for a time in a caravan, AKA "house trailer" (yes, "trailer trash!" ;D), at the beach.
On one occasion, the Brits sent a couple of Canberras on a round the world " show the flag" trip.
The Pommy pilots, being Poms, took advantage of the chance to do some low flying.
Hence, as a stripling lad, I was entranced by the sight of a Canberra just about skimming the waves, as I stood on a sandhill looking down at the top of it!

We had our own Fleet Air Arm at the time, so from the same vantage point I had the pleasure of watching a Westland built Sikorsky S55 go rattling over, & also the seriously wondrous Fairey Gannet.
Funny we never seemed to see any Navy jets though, either ours, the RN, or the USN during their visits.

RAAF Neptunes popped up from time to time, & few USN things like Super Constellations.

About a year before the Canberra incident, still at the beach, but slightly inland in a real house, WA had a visit from No 77 RAAF squadron, who also played about at low level.

Interesting to watch Gloster Meteors disappearing behind sandhills (Gee, they were nice looking aircraft--quite obsolete by then, of course)

In 1962, when we had the Commonwealth Games, the RAF sent across an Avro Vulcan, which did a flypast with a bunch of Avon-Sabres (an adaptation of the F86, but with RR Avon engines).
Even having seen photos, I didn't realise how big a Vulcan was till then!

Fast forward a lot of years, & in 1971, I was driving through Scotland.

The shape of an aircraft suddenly loomed up through the fog, roared across the road,& disappeared over the next fog shrouded hill.
I recognised the distinctive shape of an F111, but hadn't till then, been aware that they were active in the UK.

Fast forward again to immediate post-911, when I worked for a time at the University of WA.
They had a real "lunch hour" & I had the habit of going for a walk to burn up the extra time.
Suddenly, there was the roar of jet engines flying very low.

My first thought was that a big jet was crashing into the river, so I hurried to get a look at that part of the Swan.
It turned out to be a bunch of RAAF Hornets, in company with a gaggle of RNZAF R4D Skyhawks, taking part in an unannounced exercise, again flying very low.

More recently, the search for MH370 offered military aircraft watchers the chance to see the aircraft of a number of nations, most notably those of China, not that anyone would celebrate such a tragic event.
Being old & doddery, I didn't see any of those planes, anyhow!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:41:05 am by vk6zgo »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95846 on: July 29, 2021, 03:01:27 am »
Same area of the North Island and it sticks in my memory as I have been on the tugging end in much younger times. Now I am older and wiser I will have mine on a plate  >:D

;D
At age 13 and in the middle of lambing pop had some health issues so as eldest I had to do the lambing beat and although had watched pop lots of times it was my turn to get my hands dirty.
Then a few days later ma said we were out of meat and handed me the knife........ :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, beanflying

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95847 on: July 29, 2021, 07:07:02 am »
RIP Dusty Hill   :(

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, wolfy007, bd139, duckduck

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95848 on: July 29, 2021, 07:15:42 am »
I translated that as "I'm not living i don't want to live in a shitty electronics lab".

Got to give my ex wife some due: she wasn't bothered. Mostly because she was fucking someone else I suspect  :-DD

FTFY   :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95849 on: July 29, 2021, 07:41:27 am »
Tripped over this. In line with the collections of display technologies that we all have lurking  :-DD

So... sortof like OLED, only big enough that monkeys like us can do the "printed emitter" part by hand, mixed with multiple channels of high-voltage drivers...?

Oh, and cost of entry is in the "hundreds of dollars" range...?

What could possibly go wrong...? :-DD

mnem
tzzzt.

And as soon as the paint has gained some kind of self organizing capability we will be able to just spray a 200" TV at the wall from a can.  :-)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf