Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14877624 times)

wkb, Jambalaya and 140 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #96550 on: August 04, 2021, 08:41:37 pm »
There's a whole bunch of them in that Solartron. See bottom:

Interesting.  Any idea if the socket is available ???   If I can buy the socket, I can make the extender card.

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96551 on: August 04, 2021, 08:47:22 pm »
The picture speaks for itself. The last of the major issues is fixed. Been a long, long road.  :phew:

But there are problems. The trace is upside down. I think I swapped the delay lines coming into the vertical amplifier. Also, Trigger no workie on Time Base B. Hopefully it's not a bad tunnel diode.

Other than that things look pretty good. Gonna let it cook a while.
That trace is very nice and sharp!
For comparison here is a tired Hameg 303-6. Excuse the slight shakiness but capturing a 100ms sweep without a tripod is very hard for me apparently  :-//

Pictured is one filtered XOR output of the time difference measurement device.
and the device itself:

Both inputs got the same signal and I looked at stability of the output on the Philips counter.  :-//
Not sure what to expect  :-DD
Touched around the circuit and found that coupling my finger into the linear input stage ICs
could lengthen or shorten the reading, depending on which channel I put it on.
Takes closer to 100mA when running now and 200mA when idle.
Lowering the voltage from erroneus 6.1V to 4.6V helped a lot  :-DD
Checked the supply at different points with the scope and it looks quite silent (way less than 5mV ripple).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #96552 on: August 04, 2021, 08:52:32 pm »

Andrew - what kind of edge connectors does the Dana meter use?  If they're the 'conventional' type with the fingers on the card edge, you might look for HP extender cards - as such things go, they're relatively common on the Bay of Evil.  It's taken a while, but I've managed to find most sizes:

Search on things like "HP extender", "HP extender board", "HP Extender card" and the like.

(If, on the other hand they use the Fluke-style soldered in forks, well, you're forked.  Extenders for those in my experience are rarer than hen's teeth.)

-Pat

Dana use something I've never seen before.    The main board has pins like the ones commonly used for test points.   At either end are larger posts that locate the card.

The card has connectors that fit on to that.

Ahh, crap - that's as bad if not worse than the Fluke forks.  I suppose it was slightly cheaper manufacturing-wise as they didn't need to gold plate the fingers, and overall the contact pairs are perhas a hair cheaper than a nice edge connector.  Miserable to work on after the fact, though.  What spacing are they - 0.1 or 0.156?  Maybe cobble something together using a single-row breakaway pin header soldered to a receptacle that would mate with the motherboard pins?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96553 on: August 04, 2021, 08:52:54 pm »

Interesting.  Any idea if the socket is available ???   If I can buy the socket, I can make the extender card.
Take a look at Molex TermiMate connectors. They are similar and with a bit of luck you might find a compatible size.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #96554 on: August 04, 2021, 08:53:08 pm »
Can't tell you how many times I dropped a screw into the bowels of a 400 series and I had to resort to shaking, turning, and lots of cursing until it finally dropped onto the bench.  :phew:

It's even more fun when you drop one in a 55 pound printer and NEED to get it out. |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #96555 on: August 04, 2021, 08:53:30 pm »

Fluke used a similar design in their bench DMM's.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96556 on: August 04, 2021, 08:58:42 pm »

Andrew - what kind of edge connectors does the Dana meter use?  If they're the 'conventional' type with the fingers on the card edge, you might look for HP extender cards - as such things go, they're relatively common on the Bay of Evil.  It's taken a while, but I've managed to find most sizes:

Search on things like "HP extender", "HP extender board", "HP Extender card" and the like.

(If, on the other hand they use the Fluke-style soldered in forks, well, you're forked.  Extenders for those in my experience are rarer than hen's teeth.)

-Pat

Dana use something I've never seen before.    The main board has pins like the ones commonly used for test points.   At either end are larger posts that locate the card.

Ahh, crap - that's as bad if not worse than the Fluke forks.  I suppose it was slightly cheaper manufacturing-wise as they didn't need to gold plate the fingers, and overall the contact pairs are perhas a hair cheaper than a nice edge connector.  Miserable to work on after the fact, though.  What spacing are they - 0.1 or 0.156?  Maybe cobble something together using a single-row breakaway pin header soldered to a receptacle that would mate with the motherboard pins?

-Pat
Some of these "Dupont jumper wires" might make a messy but working solution?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96557 on: August 04, 2021, 09:06:37 pm »
Hermes just delivered what must be the Acterna Cell Site tester / Spectrum analyser.
Need to walk the dog before playing though.

"Walking the dog" sounds euphemistic. What were you really doing?  >:D

Taking the dog for a walk. You lot have filthy minds  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #96558 on: August 04, 2021, 09:18:06 pm »
*entire TEA responds in chorus*

THANK YOU FOR NOTICING...!

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:27:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96559 on: August 04, 2021, 09:20:13 pm »

-Pat

Did you take the heatshrink off Q3/Q5? according to the drawing they should be in a sleeve an in contact with that white ceramic washer (which is BeO so don't break it). If they are not in good therml contact you may have issues.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96560 on: August 04, 2021, 09:22:56 pm »
*knock-knock-whump-whump... patter-patter-patter*

*Amazon truck pisses off down the road before I can even get to the door*

SQWEEEEEEEEE!!!

mnem

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:26:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96561 on: August 04, 2021, 09:29:48 pm »
Had a quick play with the Acterna unit. Good and not so good news.
The Good, it's completewith all the bits inluding coax leads, antennas and directional coupler, it works and it is a spectrum analyser
The Not so good, it only covers 800-1000MHz and 1700-1900MHz and the UI and & online help are clearly for semi-skilled users with no real technical detail.
The base unit is a touchscreen PC but with no obvious keyboard port there is no obvious easy way to break into the system.
I'll have to investigate further.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:30:24 am by Robert763 »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #96562 on: August 04, 2021, 09:39:12 pm »
Saskia, so sorry to hear of the travails of you and hubby.  My prayers are with both of you.  I have had more than my fair share of challenges the last couple of years but nothing compared to you both.

Here is a Covid PSA for US members.  If you are considering getting the shot and are married with appropriate life insurance policies, please don't get the shot until you talk to said insurance agencies.  At the private practice that Mrs. GreyWoolfe works, they have had 2 patients that have died of Covid after getting the Covid shot and the insurance companies in both cases refuse to pay out as it is not FDA approved and is listed as experimental.  That is one of the major reasons we both refuse to get the shot.  If Covid claims either one of us, we know the insurance company will pay out.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #96563 on: August 04, 2021, 10:04:21 pm »

Here is a Covid PSA for US members.

The more I learn about US healthcare, the happier I am that I'm not affected by it.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #96564 on: August 04, 2021, 10:27:12 pm »
I just saw that I have 723 thanked posts, which reminded me of

(Attachment Link)

This made me notice that I have only 16 723's in stock, of which a mere 5 are milspec. I must take corrective action on the latter figure.

May I suggest restocking with some genuine Tesla MAA723’s for some variation: https://www.ebay.de/itm/283435987337

Thanks, ordered 25 of them.  :-+

And in December, reichelt  will have a 10-pol precision IC socket:

Quick update:

Found another source of those DIL-10 precision sockets: it-tronics here in Germany. They arrived today.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:35:51 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96565 on: August 04, 2021, 10:39:55 pm »
Actually that reminds me. I have been staring at the internal circuits of ICs, particularly LM723s and looking for ways to make things do things that they shouldn't. I think I'm onto a way to abuse the LM723 in a way as yet unattempted. I will detail it if it doesn't turn into a dead end.

Also ALD1105 datasheet is an interesting read http://www.aldinc.com/pdf/ALD1105.pdf
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:48:17 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96566 on: August 04, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
Some cheap boat anchor TEA for those in the US, including the hp 2590A from a few weeks back, several microwave amplifiers, a RF signal gen and a few TV waveform monitors. All reduced to $10 start price.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Test-Measurement-Inspection/181939/m.html?_ssn=elizha35&_from=R40&_nkw=

If that 2590A was over here I would have bid.

David

had been watching that 2590 transfer oscillator at 50 bucks for a couple of weeks.   then saw it go to an auction starting at 10.  was gonna wait till the last second and steal it just to have something cub does not already have.  (because who in the world would be watching for a POS like that).

but then SOMEONE had to announce it to the only crowd on planet earth who are compulsive enough to actually bid on it.

you have almost pushed me to the point of crowing about tossing tea in the harbor. 

am consoled by the fact that on sunday morning i stole a 5256a hetrodyne converter from a hobo for 20 bucks.

I didn't think anyone was interested, as I mentioned it over a month ago when it was $25, or maybe I missed the replies.  :-// The B version sold pretty quickly.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3597532/#msg3597532

I've now got to confess after last nights post, I asked about shipping and it now has an international option added.  :-X

David

did not notice your previous post.  probably because there was no picture of the transfer oscillator? 

just noticed that when it was posted for $50 buy it now....the shipping was about $35.  now that it is on auction starting at $10 the shipping is $50.

would have bought it at $25.   that's the way it goes.   ya' snooze, ya' lose.

(if the international shipping is not too horrendous and you really want it ......i will restrain myself and step back)

free range primate

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #96567 on: August 04, 2021, 11:18:23 pm »
Actually that reminds me. I have been staring at the internal circuits of ICs, particularly LM723s and looking for ways to make things do things that they shouldn't. I think I'm onto a way to abuse the LM723 in a way as yet unattempted. I will detail it if it doesn't turn into a dead end.
So you think they'll do more than 4W do ya ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96568 on: August 04, 2021, 11:26:43 pm »

Also ALD1105 datasheet is an interesting read http://www.aldinc.com/pdf/ALD1105.pdf

You'll regularly see that trick in designs from the Bobs and Jim who were intimately acquainted with the ICs in question. There was one Jim Williams design where he feeds a signal into an op amp bypassing the input stage because it didn't have quite the characteristics he needed so he built an external new input stage.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #96569 on: August 04, 2021, 11:45:20 pm »
Hubby in EMT vehicle, they suspect another heart attack. I fucking hate this.

Sorry to hear this.  Hope things are resolved positively and quickly.

We are all behind you both.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96570 on: August 05, 2021, 01:17:09 am »
Just got back from the day's ride with the boi... we still haven't heard back from Saskia...?

Hope it just means she's where she should be; with him 100% while he recuperates.

mnem
*sigh*

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #96571 on: August 05, 2021, 04:55:26 am »

These and somestrip board might do the job
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #96572 on: August 05, 2021, 05:15:54 am »
Just got back from the day's ride with the boi... we still haven't heard back from Saskia...?

Hope it just means she's where she should be; with him 100% while he recuperates.

mnem
*sigh*

Thanks for asking, sorry, I was too stressed out yesterday ...

what had happened ?
In the morning Hubby went to a cardiologist to take a stress ECG which was cancelled due to his physical condition. He needs to have a stress ECG to get his stomach surgery to fix internal bleeding, and he needs to be off blood thinners to go ahead with the surgery ... It's only been a year since his 3rd heart attack, so he is still on blood thinners, and surgery is a problem. As is covid vaccination btw ...

Anyway, the stress ECG was cancelled, a blood sample was drawn and forwarded to the lab. He did a normal ECG and was sent home.
at about 3:45 pm the cardiologist called to tell him that they found troponin in the blood sample which is an indicator of heart muscle tissue death, which in turn is an indicator of an ongoing heart attack and that he called the rescue services, Hubby should grab his stuff as the Chest Pain Unit in the next larger hospital was already informed.

Which he did. I informed by boss about a family emergency and told him that I was off for the rest of the day, the ambulance came by, as did the emergency physician and they lugged him into the Mayence university hospital CPU. (which does not allow relatives due to Covid ...)
There they continuously monitored Troponin levels plus the other markers and did their ECG. Fortunately they could not confirm the initial diagnosis, found problems with his potassium levels (which would explain his blood pressure problems) and told him that he really needed to get his stomach and esophagus fixed.

He is back home, and it seems that the decision to move to a place about 10 km away from the next large hospital complex was foresighted and prudent ...

It is not a good sign if you have to choose the place you want to live at with vicinity to emergency services as the main criteria ...

|O |O |O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #96573 on: August 05, 2021, 05:50:36 am »
Those look like two different principles.

The slate quarry lift going down is heavier than the empty lift going up, so gravity "fuels" the lift. The two canal caissons have exactly the same weight whether or not they are loaded. An engine is used to overcome friction losses.

UK examples of canal lifts, old (Anderton, also on the Trent river :) ) and new (Falkirk):

There are several examples of water-powered lifts, e.g. Lynton and Lynmouth (850ft long, 500ft high) and 3(!) at Bournemouth

Thanks!  I enjoying all those different lift designs.

In the liftlocks, they use blocks in the system as limit switches.  They upper caisson is always positioned at a slightly lower point with respect to the upper water level.
When the gates are opened to allow entry/exit of boats, the upper caisson will end up with more water than the lower caisson.
No electricity is needed, only opening and closing a hydraulic valve...

In the Falkirk wheel they deliberately keep both caissons balanced with the maximum difference in water height being 37mm. The motors used to overcome friction are only 22.5kW, and it takes 1.5kWh per half turn, the same as to boil 8 cups of water! Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel#Structure

Similarly, the Anderton lift's motor are 30kW. Only half of that is required for normal operation, the remainder being used if there is an imbalace in the caissons' weight. Source: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Anderton_Boat_Lift

Another "strange" device is the "transporter bridge". There are seven around the world, including one in Middlesborough, and one in Newport. Until you tell them, few people can guess how they operate :)

It appears you work at the Tourism Commission of the UK ... trying to convince me to come visit! ;D

You left me with a puzzle, not having seen a transporter bridge in real life (tm).
I was able to find enough information to know there is a winch is powered from a winding house at one end of the bridge.
However, it appears there is a cabin on the gondola; presumably it is controlled from this point.
From there, I have a few theories, but it is too late to delve into it deeper.
Time for some  :=\

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #96574 on: August 05, 2021, 05:56:46 am »
Hermes just delivered what must be the Acterna Cell Site tester / Spectrum analyser.
Need to walk the dog before playing though.

"Walking the dog" sounds euphemistic. What were you really doing?  >:D

My phone corrects that to wanking the dog  ???

That makes no sense, since Robert is not at work.
Here in the GWN, expressions such as F***ing the dog refer to being at the workplace but accomplishing no work at all.

After all, he indicated that playing (whatever that means >:D ) would happen after walking the dog. 
Woof!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf