Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15288871 times)

K0ELB, doktor pyta and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #98650 on: August 23, 2021, 04:30:49 am »

Welll.... wouldja lookit that...? 13000 posts, and I actually noticed.

Guess I'll celebrate by posting this pic of a younger mnem, when I did a little advertising work for a local game company that wound up bought out by WotC...  :o

mnem
Y'know, I remember a time when things were a lot more fun around here;
when good was good, and evil was evil. Before things got so... fuzzy.
Yeah, I was once a golden boy like you; I was summoned to the halls of power in the heavenly court.
And I dined with the deities who looked upon me with favor... for my talents; my creativity...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:05:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Specmaster, bd139

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #98651 on: August 23, 2021, 04:46:41 am »
* I need the oil for my Honeywell APU which is my next project.

Is that a real Honeywell, or an APU that was formerly known as AlliedSignal Aerospace or Bendix ?  :-//

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98652 on: August 23, 2021, 05:17:03 am »

Is that a real Honeywell, or an APU that was formerly known as AlliedSignal Aerospace or Bendix ?  :-//

Honeywell Canada ?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #98653 on: August 23, 2021, 07:08:30 am »
I guess part of life is living in nostalgia, daydreaming about days gone by, chances and opportunities that are bygone, and the fleeting thought to hold on to those memories by trying to get an anchor to relive past emotions.
So, part of moving will be a major sell off of my stuff. I will keep a couple of things, but I even got Hubby to put up some of his stuff for auction and to just keep his beloved G19 for practicality reasons.

Oh dear, it sounds like you are in a bad place. Best wishes.

While I completely understand your course of action, can I note there is the concept of putting some stuff into storage. That might have the advantages of reducing the workload in the short term, and allowing a more considered long term "stuff reduction phase" ensuring you really don't mind "losing" that stuff.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98654 on: August 23, 2021, 07:20:55 am »
As someone with a fairly high throughput of stuff I can assure you that it doesn’t hurt a bit  :-DD

Quick comment on nostalgia. Your brain is terrible at creating accurate memories. Trying to reproduce them is fruitless slavery.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:24:33 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #98655 on: August 23, 2021, 07:48:09 am »
Anyone in the North of the UK, around or near to Macclesfield then you might find this piece of very rare TE of interest, particularly if you're also an RF type of guy?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393519090442

Oh, it has the power switch installed the wrong way  >:D

SCNR ;)

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98656 on: August 23, 2021, 07:49:27 am »
I can do 0603 fine now  :-//

I had settled on 0805 as my standard size.

I happen to have on hand a reel of 0603 100nF capacitors that I picked up for a song during the run up to the last component famine - I'd rather have bought 0805 at the time but thinking "beggars can't be choosers" I went ahead and got the 0603 while I could. Now I've had a bit more practice stuffing SMD parts onto boards, and in particular that I've had no more real difficulty placing 0603 than placing 0805s, I'm beginning to:

• Wonder whether I was right targeting 0805 as my 'standard' size and perhaps should have targetted 0603 instead
  • Wonder whether I'm being over cautious and whether, if I get some practice in with 0402, that I'll be just as happy at that size.

I'm beginning to regard 1206 or 1210 size components as giants.

To me, 0603 is the better fit for these 1.27mm SMT proto boards.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98657 on: August 23, 2021, 08:35:16 am »
Some pictures of TE having done a detail right:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98658 on: August 23, 2021, 08:36:39 am »
Some pictures of TE having done a detail wrong:

Get yer flamethrowers ready, folks!

>:D >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:39:45 am by capt bullshot »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98659 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:33 am »

Honeywell Canada ?

The basic design is Garrett /AiResearch (which became Signal / Allied Signal. When Honeywell were bought by Allied Signal ll the APU's were placed under the Honeywell brand. The giveaway is the GPCP model no. (GTCP 36-150) It does have a annular multi-burner combustion chamber rather than the classic Garrett single can combustor tangental to the turbine.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:01:03 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98660 on: August 23, 2021, 09:39:37 am »
Anyone in the North of the UK, around or near to Macclesfield then you might find this piece of very rare TE of interest, particularly if you're also an RF type of guy?

SCNR ;)

Counterweight continent equipment...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #98661 on: August 23, 2021, 09:52:14 am »
Well the storm that for a short time was a hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm and was further downgraded to a tropical depression and is basically now just a heavy rain event with winds no greater than 30 MPH. But rather than hitting Long Island and hooking east over New England as predicted it instead hooked west and is now directly over me. You can clearly see the storm spin on the radar. So flood warnings are still in effect until tonight. NYC also basically took a direct hit but any flooding was minimal.

Proves once again that weather prediction, even with super computer analysis, is an inexact science. Not surprising since you're dealing with Mother Nature and it's a woman.  :P :P :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #98662 on: August 23, 2021, 10:13:18 am »
Well the storm that for a short time was a hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm and was further downgraded to a tropical depression and is basically now just a heavy rain event with winds no greater than 30 MPH. But rather than hitting Long Island and hooking east over New England as predicted it instead hooked west and is now directly over me. You can clearly see the storm spin on the radar. So flood warnings are still in effect until tonight. NYC also basically took a direct hit but any flooding was minimal.

Proves once again that weather prediction, even with super computer analysis, is an inexact science. Not surprising since you're dealing with Mother Nature and it's a woman.  :P :P :-DD

The reason for this are so-called (some are nonlinear) PDE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_differential_equation#Linear_and_nonlinear_equations

Example being used in weather forecasts are the Navier-Stokes equations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier%E2%80%93Stokes_equations

The Navier-Stokes equations are also a part of the Millenium Problems.
If you can solve them, you can win one million Dollar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98663 on: August 23, 2021, 10:39:39 am »
Shout out to all you DER EE DE5000 owners, you might be able to help this fellow member out
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/der-ee-de-5000-lcr-meter-calibration-and-adjustment/new/#new
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98664 on: August 23, 2021, 10:46:07 am »

On my watch list and in battery range.  Not planning to bid.  Seller has other items too, but nothing I want.

Found the manual for it:
https://frank.pocnet.net/instruments/AVO/HR/MultiMeter/CT38.pdf
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:55:17 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98666 on: August 23, 2021, 11:09:58 am »
However... as part of my Electronics Tech training, we actually did spend a couple months working with the Electrical Engineering/Electricians trade track, one of the things they taught us was that UP=ON is the correct way to wire a switch, and that applies even to these SPDT/DPST reversing switches: As long as you observe local regs re: color-coding and not "creatively repurposing" the unsheathed GND wire, you can wire these as you see fit, as long as when you're done, all switches in the circuit path UP=ON.

mnem
 :-/O

Switching should be intuitive to avoid mistakes when a human brain has to work under overload conditions.
In the morning my booting brain is definitely overloaded.
My italian coffee machine works down=on.
So there is absolutely no room for discussion. Down=on it is to switch on my day.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #98667 on: August 23, 2021, 11:40:19 am »
Switching should be intuitive to avoid mistakes when a human brain has to work under overload conditions.
In the morning my booting brain is definitely overloaded.
My italian coffee machine works down=on.
So there is absolutely no room for discussion. Down=on it is to switch on my day.  ;D

Do you have the type of faucet shown in the picture? If so, which way (up or down) allows the water to flow (ON)?

:popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98668 on: August 23, 2021, 11:43:52 am »
Do you have the type of faucet shown in the picture? If so, which way (up or down) allows the water to flow (ON)?
Less memorably, does it scald you if you have it too far left or right?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98669 on: August 23, 2021, 11:48:06 am »
regarding switches, up = on, down = off

Gravity should default things to their safe condition :)

And then we have this gigantic turd in my house. This has to be upside down because the wires are too short if you don't do it. Not my installation for ref that one  :palm:

Also need to deep clean my kitchen - that's disgusting up there :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98670 on: August 23, 2021, 01:03:25 pm »
I guess part of life is living in nostalgia, daydreaming about days gone by, chances and opportunities that are bygone, and the fleeting thought to hold on to those memories by trying to get an anchor to relive past emotions.
So, part of moving will be a major sell off of my stuff. I will keep a couple of things, but I even got Hubby to put up some of his stuff for auction and to just keep his beloved G19 for practicality reasons.

While I completely understand your course of action, can I note there is the concept of putting some stuff into storage. That might have the advantages of reducing the workload in the short term, and allowing a more considered long term "stuff reduction phase" ensuring you really don't mind "losing" that stuff.

Putting stuff into storage is a trap, and it quickly becomes a financial leech which bleeds you dry. I've been paying for storage on the mega-trailer and a car for close to 2 years now; over 30K American. The car I'm losing money on for sure; the rest of our combined lives in the trailer... uhhhhh...  :-//

Overall, it's a huge amount of money... but you rationalize it from month to month that what you're doing is buying "just a little more breathing room"; the ability to put off dealing with it until you can gather your wits aboot you.

Don't get me wrong... I'm renting a shipping container right now, with intent of moving towards a goal; but when we moved here, I did the same exact thing, and I quickly realized how much of a drain it was on my local economy. That's why I bought & built a steel shed kit; to get out from under the expense and to have a place to sort and get rid of the shit we didn't need.

Of course, after doing that we accumulated all manner of new shit that now needs to be triaged and moved...  :scared:

mnem
It's like The Circle of Life, only with lots of aching back and storage bins... The Circle of Junk...? :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98671 on: August 23, 2021, 01:08:00 pm »

SCNR ;)

And they've quite sensibly marked it so you know they built it bass-ackwards.  >:D

mnem
I can live with that.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98672 on: August 23, 2021, 01:13:18 pm »

Putting stuff into storage is a trap, and it quickly becomes a financial leech which bleeds you dry. I've been paying for storage on the mega-trailer and a car for close to 2 years now; over 30K American. The car I'm losing money on for sure; the rest of our combined lives in the trailer... uhhhhh...  :-//

Overall, it's a huge amount of money... but you rationalize it from month to month that what you're doing is buying "just a little more breathing room"; the ability to put off dealing with it until you can gather your wits aboot you.

Life is a trap, and one from which there is only one exit.

In the meantime, people can choose which trap to fall into. With me, it is scopes and.... you know the rest.

Don't get me wrong... I'm renting a shipping container right now, with intent of moving towards a goal; but when we moved here, I did the same exact thing, and I quickly realized how much of a drain it was on my local economy. That's why I bought & built a steel shed kit; to get out from under the expense and to have a place to sort and get rid of the shit we didn't need.

Of course, after doing that we accumulated all manner of new shit that now needs to be triaged and moved...  :scared:

mnem
It's like The Circle of Life, only with lots of aching back and storage bins... The Circle of Junk...? :o

I'm currently clearing out my parents' 8/16 room house, so I'm currently highly adept at triage :(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98673 on: August 23, 2021, 01:20:28 pm »

I disagree on this one. The correct way for this to be done is the classic arrow compass with ENTER in the middle. No other way is as intuitive.  :P

On the flip side of that, I intensely dislike the recent fad of making it a ring with a button in the middle as commonly found on remote controls... it never works right once it gets old.

mnem
FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS, for inflicting this evil upon 3 subsequent generations!!! Can you hear me, you dead bastard...? FUCK YOU!!!

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98674 on: August 23, 2021, 01:32:29 pm »

I disagree on this one. The correct way for this to be done is the classic arrow compass with ENTER in the middle. No other way is as intuitive.  :P

I have to agree to your disagreement regarding the cursor keys, these aren't that intuitive here. Anyway, these weren't the intended subject of the right / wrong photos.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf