Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552044 times)

TizianoHV, Vince, marcumr, ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #850 on: March 24, 2017, 12:35:01 am »
The place in Kemner's Surplus Warehouse in Pottstown, PA.
Noooo!!  That's 45 minutes from me.

Now that I've read that post - I cannot un-read it!

About 3 hours away for me. A little too far for this weekend but perhaps a future road trip.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #851 on: March 24, 2017, 02:41:50 am »
Probably about four hours for me.  A bit far, but should I ever happen to venture down that way...  (I'll likely get in trouble!)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #852 on: March 24, 2017, 01:09:50 pm »
I think my friend and I are taking a field trip to the TRW Swap meet next month.
Then I think I am going to have to talk him into a day at Apex.....
 :-+ :-+ :-+ :-DMM :-BROKE :-/O :clap:
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #853 on: March 24, 2017, 01:42:41 pm »
 So a bunch of you are pretty close to me. It's about 30 minutes or so for me. I'll try to wear my Negative Feedback shirt to be obvious to any other EEVBloggers that show up. No idea what time I will get there though.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #854 on: March 24, 2017, 01:53:56 pm »
A potential group outing?

There is a disturbance in the Force......

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #855 on: March 24, 2017, 02:11:31 pm »
 That's the sound of the souls of hundreds of pieces of test equipment all finding new homes at the same time.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #856 on: March 24, 2017, 02:42:59 pm »
Accessible Location of Disused Equipment Ready And Available Now

Now we know the real story about Alderaan disappearing.  It wasn't the Death Star.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #857 on: March 24, 2017, 03:01:07 pm »
I think my friend and I are taking a field trip to the TRW Swap meet next month.

Go for it!!  I haven't managed to time a visit out that way right to get to the swap meet since around September.   :(

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #858 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:36 pm »
So a bunch of you are pretty close to me. It's about 30 minutes or so for me. I'll try to wear my Negative Feedback shirt to be obvious to any other EEVBloggers that show up. No idea what time I will get there though.
The wife and I have an errand to run in Exton, so that puts us within 30 minutes of the place.  And I'm bringing the SMALL car (a Prius).

I'll look for you, but not sure when I'll get there either.  Just look for someone carefully staring at each piece of old test gear, accompanied by an impatient onlooker.

I'll take some photos and post if they have any real interesting stuff.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #859 on: March 24, 2017, 07:06:30 pm »

Go for it!!  I haven't managed to time a visit out that way right to get to the swap meet since around September.   :(

-Pat
I'm looking forward to it, never been to TRW.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #860 on: March 24, 2017, 07:21:18 pm »

-Pat

I wish I could go.  >:(  I grew up about 5 miles from that TRW parking lot. My dad worked at Northrup Electronics just a stones throw away.

My family all still lives in the South Bay. We go down once a year but usually in the Fall...

Hmm, I need to make sure we are there the last Saturday of the month next time.

How much will an airline charge to carry on a boat anchor?  And will it get through a TSA checkpoint?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:54:09 pm by mtdoc »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #861 on: March 24, 2017, 07:48:28 pm »
I'll look for you, but not sure when I'll get there either.  Just look for someone carefully staring at each piece of old test gear, accompanied by an impatient onlooker.

Isn't it curious that when THEY want to go shopping that YOU have to like it or you get branded as a sour puss or worse.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #862 on: March 24, 2017, 08:23:12 pm »

Isn't it curious that when THEY want to go shopping that YOU have to like it or you get branded as a sour puss or worse.  |O
Being respectful of each others' time, we don't usually do a lot of shopping together.  Fortunately, at this place there appears to be plenty of stuff for her to look at too.

But it can get bad when I'm looking at tools, or worse, parts.  Not too many people understand the parts thing.  I'm sure it's closely related to TEA.  And this place appears to have many bins of old parts.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #863 on: March 24, 2017, 09:17:49 pm »

My understanding is that it's a shadow of its former glory, but I still usually manage to get myself in trouble when I go.  And if I strike out there, Apex is up the road a piece, and I'm pretty much guaranteed to leave there with the rental car down by the stern.  On my most recent visit, I went to Murphy's in El Cajon; it's not quite as good as Apex but still had some interesting goodies.  I'll probably make that one a 'once every several visits' stop.

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #864 on: March 24, 2017, 09:21:37 pm »
I wish I could go.  >:(  I grew up about 5 miles from that TRW parking lot. My dad worked at Northrup Electronics just a stones throw away.

My family all still lives in the South Bay. We go down once a year but usually in the Fall...

Hmm, I need to make sure we are there the last Saturday of the month next time.

How much will an airline charge to carry on a boat anchor?  And will it get through a TSA checkpoint?

FedEx is your friend.   ;)   ;D

>:D

https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/Packing-heavy-instruments-for

-Pat

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #865 on: March 24, 2017, 09:34:58 pm »
Oh, crap.  I'm only an hour away in south Jersey via I476.   My daughter lives in King of Prussia 20 min from there.

I must have the fortitude of a robot.  I MUST RESIST!!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:37:34 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #866 on: March 24, 2017, 09:39:45 pm »
Oh, crap.  I'm only an hour away in south Jersey via I476.   My daughter lives in King of Prussia 20 min from there.

I must have the fortitude of a robot.  I MUST RESIST!!

You know you want to go.  Like Nike says - just do it!   >:D

-Pat

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #867 on: March 25, 2017, 01:32:13 am »
Not too many people understand the parts thing.  I'm sure it's closely related to TEA.

EPA: Electronics Parts Addiction - Once TEA sets in, it often is followed by EPA and the endless hunt for MVP (Miscellaneous Vintage Parts).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #868 on: March 25, 2017, 01:39:24 am »
 Patience pays off. Finally got me a GPD-3303S, the good one that shouldn't have the surge issue. $115 plus shipping.

Still going to that surplus place tomorrow though LOL.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #869 on: March 25, 2017, 01:49:15 am »
 :-DD :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #870 on: March 25, 2017, 02:24:07 am »
 I do have EPA as well a TEA, but not MVP. At least so far. All the projects I have in mind use modern parts. But I am wavering on the idea of building a nixie tube clock....

In hindsight I should have saved the old stereo my Dad built from a kit. The AM/FM receiver worked fine - as a teenager I cobbled up a crappy audio amp from other old equipment and used the tuner as my tuner - it had one of those magic eye type of tubes on the tuning dial, the kind that went from two opposing arrows to an exclamation when dialed in. The preamp had a fault of some sort which was why he replaced it in the early 70's with an all in one console with an 8 track. There was also something wrong with the power amp, possibly just a burned out tube. I threw it all away last year when cleaning out the house. I probably could have fixed it all. Oh well.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #871 on: March 25, 2017, 02:58:28 am »
OK Guys stop rubbing it in!
Here (Adelaide) we have 2 Ham Buy and Sells each year - very few bargains here. No decent 2nd Hand dealers. If we do get a bargain on fleabay the 100AUD+ postage (from the USA) doesn't make it a bargain anymore!!  Nearest other big town Melbourne 800km away!
I have always had a soft spot for LED displays. Bought this fella today (HP 5316) - will take a week or two to arrive.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #872 on: March 25, 2017, 04:05:01 am »

My understanding is that it's a shadow of its former glory, but I still usually manage to get myself in trouble when I go.  And if I strike out there, Apex is up the road a piece, and I'm pretty much guaranteed to leave there with the rental car down by the stern.  On my most recent visit, I went to Murphy's in El Cajon; it's not quite as good as Apex but still had some interesting goodies.  I'll probably make that one a 'once every several visits' stop.

Ah crap. Now you've done it! I'd never heard of Apex before. I just looked it up. Damn, now I'm gonna have to take a drive there the next time I go to So. Cal.  And I hate driving to the valley >:(  Damn you GAS -You're a cruel master - the things I will do for you...

And the week after next we'll be in Portland, so i'll have to make my annual pilgrimage to Surplus Gizmos..

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #873 on: March 25, 2017, 04:26:45 am »
Ah crap. Now you've done it! I'd never heard of Apex before. I just looked it up. Damn, now I'm gonna have to take a drive there the next time I go to So. Cal.  And I hate driving to the valley >:(  Damn you GAS -You're a cruel master - the things I will do for you...

And the week after next we'll be in Portland, so i'll have to make my annual pilgrimage to Surplus Gizmos..

It's definitely worth the trip.  I've gotten a ton of stuff there.  Ok, maybe a ton is an exaggeration, but it's gotta be at least a quarter ton!  A very cool place.  Plan on spending some time there wandering around looking in all the nooks and crannies.  Bring sunblock for the yard.  (That's probably the most bizarre thing for me as someone from New England - buying electronic gear that's literally been OUTSIDE for at least a year in some cases that I know of.)

And driving up there does suck - I usually stay down in Dana Point when out that way and it seems 1.5-2 hrs each way is the norm.  I think traffic is worse on the weekends!

-Pat

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #874 on: March 25, 2017, 05:07:13 am »
Accessible Location of Disused Equipment Ready And Available Now

After having mulled over this for a bit, I would like to invite opinion on including the above in the glossary, with an antry along the following lines:

ALDERAAN: Accessible Location of Disused Equipment Ready And Available Now.  A code word used when members of a TEA group wish to quickly and inconspicuously communicate interest in a viable source of gear. eg "I've just found a new Alderaan".  To outsiders, the reference is dismissed as one related to the Star Wars franchise, a perception which is further reinforced with the fate of each Alderaan having strong similarities.  Namely, the scattering of all the constituent parts to leave nothing behind.  These similarities and the use of actual names of the equipment allow for open discussion to be attributed to being more Star Wars banter by those unfamiliar with TEA and GAS.

What say you?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:10:36 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf