Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551046 times)

wkb, jazzmann and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #7300 on: February 13, 2018, 03:53:02 pm »
Well that was impressive LOL! (see pics). Connected a 48v input to the DPS5015 and a capacitor can hit the ceiling :) Yes, the polarity was correct - at least according to the silk screen on the PCBs - so need to look a bit closer at that. I'll put a new cap in DSP5015 and see if there's any life left in the thing, and this time check what the Chinese '48v PSU' is really putting out before connecting it...
Looks like the vent did its job well there then.

Yep - what are those 3 crimps for again?  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7301 on: February 13, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
Well that was impressive LOL! (see pics). Connected a 48v input to the DPS5015 and a capacitor can hit the ceiling :) Yes, the polarity was correct - at least according to the silk screen on the PCBs - so need to look a bit closer at that. I'll put a new cap in DSP5015 and see if there's any life left in the thing, and this time check what the Chinese '48v PSU' is really putting out before connecting it...

Did you buy it from BANGgood or BangGood?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7302 on: February 13, 2018, 04:00:21 pm »
Looks like the vent did its job well there then.

Yep - what are those 3 crimps for again?  :palm:
Without those crimps you'd be picking up bits alloy and muck from everywhere and be from you as well. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7303 on: February 13, 2018, 04:01:22 pm »

Thats very good  ;D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7304 on: February 13, 2018, 04:44:23 pm »
OK, I replaced the cap on the DPS5015 and it still doesn't work. Looks like it's toast. Checked the '48v' mains PSU board and - it puts out 105v DC  :wtf:

Re-check the listing (Ebay  ::) ) and confirmed it was described as 220-240v input, but suspect it is actually 110v input (no markings on the board though). Filed a claim against seller but that doesn't get me my DPS5015 back...  So I should have checked the output first I guess, never trust these Chinese suppliers...  |O
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:48:09 pm by ChrisLX200 »

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7305 on: February 13, 2018, 04:49:42 pm »

Nope, it was EBang...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7306 on: February 13, 2018, 04:52:24 pm »
Crumbs, thats not good, I'd try for a new DPS5015 as well from them, it was after all their mistake that caused it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7307 on: February 13, 2018, 05:00:22 pm »
Crumbs, thats not good, I'd try for a new DPS5015 as well from them, it was after all their mistake that caused it.

I doubt I'll have much success there, but you're right. The product in question was this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800W-50V-LLC-Soft-Switching-Power-Supply-high-quality-HIFI-amp-PSU-board-DIY/192325585960?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Clearly described as suitable for UK voltages. Actually, it started to crackle while I was testing and I had to unplug it quick - only to be expected if it was a 110v circuit with 240v stuffed up its jackson..

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7308 on: February 13, 2018, 05:02:43 pm »
I thought all those were all relatively (<60V) DC input devices i.e. buck converters?

I took my MyDel power supply to bits. Seems relatively well put together.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7309 on: February 13, 2018, 05:22:47 pm »

I doubt I'll have much success there, but you're right. The product in question was this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800W-50V-LLC-Soft-Switching-Power-Supply-high-quality-HIFI-amp-PSU-board-DIY/192325585960?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Clearly described as suitable for UK voltages. Actually, it started to crackle while I was testing and I had to unplug it quick - only to be expected if it was a 110v circuit with 240v stuffed up its jackson..
Hmm, check the markings on your unit, the one they used to photograph actually shows a 70V output anyway, personally when I purchase something like that, especially when the documentation and product labelling is so poor, I test them open circuit first to see if they are doing what they claimed.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7310 on: February 13, 2018, 05:24:09 pm »
Looking at the exploded one, it looks like there is no common mode choke, rectifier or protection on the front end and is marked IN+ and IN-. I reckon that was a DC unit they shipped.

Edit: ignore my stupidity above, I only just saw the other supply in the box  :palm: REFUND and fluff clearance charge due :)

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7311 on: February 13, 2018, 05:27:44 pm »

Hmm, check the markings on your unit, the one they used to photograph actually shows a 70V output anyway, personally when I purchase something like that, especially when the documentation and product labelling is so poor, I test them open circuit first to see if they are doing what they claimed.

I'll take another look - if I can remember which wall I threw it at :)

So I was looking for a replacement DSP5015 and spotted this listing on Amazon (pic). I added it to my basket with some other stuff and indeed got charged £3.99 for it. Winner :)  It's coming from Amazon themselves rather than 3rd party supplier so must be real?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7312 on: February 13, 2018, 05:28:54 pm »
Looking at the exploded one, it looks like there is no common mode choke, rectifier or protection on the front end and is marked IN+ and IN-. I reckon that was a DC unit they shipped.

Edit: ignore my stupidity above, I only just saw the other supply in the box  :palm: REFUND and fluff clearance charge due :)
The photos posted are of the power supply module that the other one was supplying power to and is indeed looking for around 48VDC to be supplied, not 105VDC
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7313 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »
It's coming from Amazon themselves rather than 3rd party supplier so must be real?

Ahhhahahahahaha maybe not. Amazon are totally dire at the moment in this space. I got sent used stuff, empty boxes and they mix their fulfilment up with 3rd parties now if the SKU is the same. Aliexpress is far more reputable. Bezos didn't get rich doing a good job, just buy pushing the profit margin up. Ferengi scum.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7314 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:48 pm »

So I was looking for a replacement DSP5015 and spotted this listing on Amazon (pic). I added it to my basket with some other stuff and indeed got charged £3.99 for it. Winner :)  It's coming from Amazon themselves rather than 3rd party supplier so must be real?
Strange but I don't seem to be able get the listing up.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7315 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:13 pm »

Ah yes, my poor photography.. whole thing looks like this (out the box)

And there is another buck convertor board to go in as well, took a while to find one suitable for 48V>12V just to supply the fans (200mA) but I got one. Just as well that wasn't connected.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7316 on: February 13, 2018, 05:39:50 pm »
That makes sense. Bit disappointing. Looked like a nice set up :)

Fingers crossed for a refund for you here.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7317 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:22 pm »

It was the last one.. :) 

Confirmed my order though.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7318 on: February 13, 2018, 05:45:11 pm »

And there is another buck convertor board to go in as well, took a while to find one suitable for 48V>12V just to supply the fans (200mA) but I got one. Just as well that wasn't connected.
Is it me or what but this one seems to be a 60Vdc input as indicated in the bottom right corner of the unit?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7319 on: February 13, 2018, 05:47:01 pm »

Always thought that when it was out of stock, it still showed up and but showed zero stocks etc?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7320 on: February 13, 2018, 05:47:47 pm »
I thought all those were all relatively (<60V) DC input devices i.e. buck converters?

I took my MyDel power supply to bits. Seems relatively well put together.

Is this Chinese then?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7321 on: February 13, 2018, 05:55:24 pm »

Is it me or what but this one seems to be a 60Vdc input as indicated in the bottom right corner of the unit?

You're right, it is ticked 63v, and there is an empty 48v box above it...  :-//  There are no jumpers to set the output. The input caps on the 5015 are rated 65v so, although at max v, would not have immediately exploded like it did.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7322 on: February 13, 2018, 05:58:44 pm »

You're right, it is ticked 63v, and there is an empty 48v box above it...  :-//  There are no jumpers to set the output. The input caps on the 5015 are rated 65v so, although at max v, would not have immediately exploded like it did.
I think I would, you inadvertently stuffed 105VDC up it, I think you'd explode if I did to you  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #7323 on: February 13, 2018, 06:03:05 pm »

Always thought that when it was out of stock, it still showed up and but showed zero stocks etc?

I think it does mostly, maybe this was a clearance item or something. I do reckon they screwed up on the pricing and it should have been 39.99 but hey - the order went through and I doubt the storeman/automated machine will argue so let's see if it turns up  :popcorn:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7324 on: February 13, 2018, 06:11:21 pm »
Amen to that
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf