Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552988 times)

ch_scr, Qw3rtzuiop and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #7825 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:16 am »
I showed you my blue HP 3456A DVM earlier:

I was (and still am) wondering why it has a blue face -was it a hand made one of its kind piece for someone special or did a company order some with blue front plate..?

Now, on *bay I've come across the picture of another blue-faced HP-instrument of that era, an HP 436A Power Meter:

Very interesting...
Does anyone have an idea or does anyone know anything or know someone who knows anything or ..?  :)

I do not need this 436A, I do not need it, I do not need it, I do not need it, I do not need it..  :palm:   :-DD
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:51:10 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7826 on: February 22, 2018, 07:04:15 am »
My only guess on the blue is IBM.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7827 on: February 22, 2018, 07:13:29 am »
There is plenty of random builds from HP so I suspect anything for the right customer or the right $$

This is currently on evilbay

This I found online E02-735a while looking for more info on the 735a I have, the numbers made must have been tiny and no other reference to it seems to exist. Interesting Fluke/HP either copied the basic layout from one or the other for their cross referenced DC standard.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7828 on: February 22, 2018, 07:15:04 am »
I've seen the blue ones on occasion, too, and would guess IBM as well.  They were known as 'Big Blue' for a reason...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7829 on: February 22, 2018, 07:18:54 am »
Now, on *bay I've come across the picture of another blue-faced HP-instrument of that era, an HP 436A Power Meter:

Very interesting...
Does anyone have an idea or does anyone know anything or know someone who knows anything or ..?  :)

I do not need this 436A, I do not need it, I do not need it, I do not need it, I do not need it..  :palm:   :-DD

but is has sort-of dot LED displays!!   >:D >:D

You know 'need' is not a factor among the lot populating this thread.  WANT is what's important, and you know you want it!   >:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7830 on: February 22, 2018, 07:29:11 am »
[..]

You know 'need' is not a factor among the lot populating this thread.  WANT is what's important, and you know you want it!   >:D

Ok, adjusted:
It has such a scratched front plate, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it..   |O    :-DD
In fact, I'm already equipped with an HP 437B and I don't have the space to put it somewhere really, and my wife...    :palm:
I'm saving space for test gear I do need and I do want.

I can't get out of this TEA thing really but I'm trying to control it somehow.   ;)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #7831 on: February 22, 2018, 07:37:36 am »
I can't get out of this TEA thing really but I'm trying to control it somehow.   ;)

We all have our burdens and delusions. Good luck with that one.  ;D  >:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7832 on: February 22, 2018, 07:43:01 am »
There is plenty of random builds from HP so I suspect anything for the right customer or the right $$

This is currently on evilbay

This I found online E02-735a while looking for more info on the 735a I have, the numbers made must have been tiny and no other reference to it seems to exist. Interesting Fluke/HP either copied the basic layout from one or the other for their cross referenced DC standard.

Interesting: This seems to be much older but it seems it's the same blue colour like my 3456A and the 436A shown above.
Seems you could order special versions (e.g. your favoured colour of the front plate) from HP.

This copying-basic-layout-of-test-equipment is common: HP had it's typical black display area on top and beige panel with keypads, knobs and connectors below and not only manufactures of the western world like e.g. Gigatronics copied it..:

(Linked from: http://www.alltest.net/Gigatronics-900-12-18)

..but also russian manufactures found it so iconic they used the design for some of their instruments:

(Taken from: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/teardown-russianussr-lcr-bridge-(warning-large-pictures)/)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7833 on: February 22, 2018, 09:56:26 am »
The blue here:

clearly looks printed and was deliberate. But the blue here:

looks suspiciously like someone never got around to stripping off the protective plastic film coating that comes on much pre-anodised  or printed aluminium sheet that is added to protect it during machining operations.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7834 on: February 22, 2018, 10:23:31 am »
The 5326B manual on Keysights website is sh1t. This one if you don't mind 255Mb of download is much nicer  :-+ http://www.pa4tim.nl/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/HP-5326B-Timer-Counter-DVM-Operating-and-Service-Manual.pdf

8th digit takes 3 IC's one Nixie and the bridging of a resistor with a link. Now can I find the bits  :o
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7835 on: February 22, 2018, 10:35:45 am »
Stay tuned for the tear down  >:D

More addictive than crack generally safer than guns and cars  :-DD
Wow that sure is nice, looks almost mint apart from the sticker goo on the top, well done, great snatch.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #7836 on: February 22, 2018, 02:35:12 pm »
I showed you my blue HP 3456A DVM earlier:

I was (and still am) wondering why it has a blue face -was it a hand made one of its kind piece for someone special or did a company order some with blue front plate..?

Very interesting...

My first reaction when I saw this was "IBM Blue". Per their own documentation regarding their branding, the color is known and registered as Pantone 2718. Sure looks like a match to me, though I do believe "IBM Blue" has varied in shade somewhat over the decades. Of course, so have my eyes...  :o

[..]

Ok, adjusted:
It has such a scratched front plate, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it..   |O    :-DD
In fact, I'm already equipped with an HP 437B and I don't have the space to put it somewhere really, and my wife...    :palm:
I'm saving space for test gear I do need and I do want.

There, there... we know exactly what you mean, we've all been there. Some of us still cling to the hope we might break free; some of us have set up permanent residence with lawn chairs, imported palm trees and a cooler full of Mohitos.   :-DD

*Hands you a drink with a tiny umbrella in it and points to a warming table in the corner* Here; have a taco. I promise: In the morning, you'll feel right as rain. ;)

The 5326B manual on Keysights website is sh1t. This one if you don't mind 255Mb of download is much nicer  :-+ http://www.pa4tim.nl/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/HP-5326B-Timer-Counter-DVM-Operating-and-Service-Manual.pdf

8th digit takes 3 IC's one Nixie and the bridging of a resistor with a link. Now can I find the bits  :o

Awesome! I'm happy to be completely wrong! *Snurches said manual and stashes it away in a folder already bursting at the FAT*

[EDIT]

1820-0116
1820-0119/1820-0232
1820-0729

Sphere.com hosts this HP Cross-Reference; I'm sure a lot of you already know about it, but just in case I'll post it here. Of course, not one of the ICs you need is in there, but it may be useful to others.

They do have a page of HP 1820-xxxx Series parts here; the only one they list in stock is the 1820-0119 in new and used condition.

Talon Electronics carries some inventory of HP 1820-xxxx series parts as well; they list the 1820-0116, but show it OOS. No idea if they'll  get any more in stock, but I guess you could drop 'em a line if nothing else pans out.

Everything else I was able to find were only listings from Aerospace suppliers with an RFQ dialog; no indication of if they even had the part. Confidence is not high.  :-[

I know that's not much, but I though maybe a search from my side of the pond might turn up something you can't see.  :-//

As a point of amusement, my fleaBay search returned this listing for a HP 181A 50MHz 'Scope. Description just made me cackle out loud:

Quote from:  eBay Listing # 132490005451 HP 181A Oscilloscope w/1801A 50MHz Dual-CH Vertical Amplifier +1820A Time Base

BEING SOLD AS-IS FOR PARTS OR REPAIR.
Model: 181A
Unit powers on with working display
Minor sparking inside the unit
Buttons and knobs are all intact but not responsive
Power button is not functional
We were able to locate the beam when pushed the"FIND BEAM" button
We do not have the necessary resources to do further testing
Connectors are all appear to be damage free
Few f housing screws are missing
Scuffs, scratches, residual adhesives, and markings are present on housing of unit

Unit Dimensions (L" x W" x H"): 21-1/2 X 16-3/4 X 5-1/2

As a large liquidator for many vendors, our rating system is as follows. On a scale from 1 - 10, with 10 being in new or excellent condition, this item is rated as a 7.

:o

[/EDIT]

mnem

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:05:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7837 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:14 pm »
Tempting as it is to buy a sparking Oscilloscope with sparking as a feature maybe not  :-BROKE

Interesting NOS and or used Nixies are the easy bit as they are now trendy apparently  :palm: Found all the IC's as NOS including a few spare 1120-092 Nixie drivers   >:D

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7838 on: February 22, 2018, 05:37:50 pm »
Toys are us or: I really should blacklist Evilbay!

Why am I keep doing this? I wanted that Philips Nixie counter badly. With 10 seconds to go, there were 0 bids, so I added 10 bucks to the starting price and managed to see "you're the highest bidder" for the blink of an eye, followed by "the auction has ended, alas, your not the highest bidder!" [Insert some expletives of your own choice.]
But I did score on this one (sold as parts only/can't test). Input A seems to be working fine. But I also can't test the RF input (until I get my Anritsu signal generator).

You know this is all your fault, don't you? Someone likened this Thread to an AA meeting in a pub. And you encourage even teatotalers like me to taste the booze until they're hooked!  :-DD

Needs some cleanup, but otherwise looks fine:

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7839 on: February 22, 2018, 10:17:44 pm »
You bid when there were still 10 seconds left? That's way too early. ;D

Your PM 6671 looks to be in great condition.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7840 on: February 22, 2018, 10:28:15 pm »
Yes - 10 seconds is lame. This is how you bid:

1. Change the wifi password so the kids and wife can't lag you out with YouTube and xbox games.
2. Install Chrome and uBlock edge on your laptop.
3. Stick your mobile phone on mobile data as well just in case your internet connection goes down.
4. Close all the windows other than the one for the auction.
5. Disable windows update service and trusted installer.
6. Disable antivirus
7. Stick your phone on divert.
8. Ask everyone to leave the room.
9. Join the 2 second crew.
10. Lose it anyway and be sad for the rest of the day.
11. Spend 30 minutes working out why the printer will no longer connect to the wifi after you change the password back.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7841 on: February 22, 2018, 10:30:52 pm »
Yes - 10 seconds is lame. This is how you bid:

1. Change the wifi password so the kids and wife can't lag you out with YouTube and xbox games.
2. Install Chrome and uBlock edge on your laptop.
3. Stick your mobile phone on mobile data as well just in case your internet connection goes down.
4. Close all the windows other than the one for the auction.
5. Disable windows update service and trusted installer.
6. Disable antivirus
7. Stick your phone on divert.
8. Ask everyone to leave the room.
9. Join the 2 second crew.
10. Lose it anyway and be sad for the rest of the day.
11. Spend 30 minutes working out why the printer will no longer connect to the wifi after you change the password back.
And then network latency gets you screwed over  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7842 on: February 22, 2018, 10:39:30 pm »
If you bid on both your mobile and desktop a the same time, one of the requests will be less latent than the other :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7843 on: February 22, 2018, 10:41:54 pm »
Coo, that's a cunning plan  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7844 on: February 22, 2018, 10:45:28 pm »
As I'm cranking my ebay efforts down a bit, a quick tip which is one thing one of my algorithmic searches found: don't just search for Heathkit. Search for HealthKit (apple product). Turns out on iOS, Heathkit is corrected to that and ebay listers are idiots.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7845 on: February 22, 2018, 10:57:01 pm »
Buy Agilent 34401a for better accuracy and consistency for calibration of Temperature sensors.
Find EEVBlog and start reading and looking at the pretty pictures.
Build first two voltage references and find out about drift and long term stability.
Find this slightly insane bunch of TEA members.
Buy inferior but workable Feelcrap signal generator and buy first vintage HP counter to check it's frequency.
Buy Two 34970a data loggers to commence recording of these knowing that you need to build better references.
Decide the 34401A has some short comings on low ohm measurements - Buy a Quadtech Milliohmeter
Start buying bits for two LTZ1000 references.
Buy a 121GW because you know now your existing multimeters are really cruddy.
Randomly Buy two power supplies a Manson 3030 and an Agilent 6632B
Buy a slew of Good Quality Decade Capacitance and Resistance boxes (6).
Because you own a signal generator and are sick and tired of your Hantek USB - Buy a 100Mhz Micsig
Buy wine fridge not to put wine in but to house the aforementioned references in at a nice stable 25 degrees.
Decide you like the look of Nixies and 'need' a DC voltage source - Buy a 740B
Happen across a poor forlorn Pommie Nixie counter in the USA in need of some TLC - offer it a better home.
Beacause the 740A manual said I needed one buy a 735A voltage standard.
While looking at voltage standards you find an Valhalla AC voltage calibrator whose freight bill alone would feed a family for two weeks.
Decide you really like Nixie Tubes and in particular counters buy a 5326B
Because you now own three slightly older Frequency counters and are unsure of their accuracy - buy a gpsdo.

This is sort of my last years decent into TEA

Now Better Sig Gen, SA, 3458a ...........  :palm:

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7846 on: February 22, 2018, 10:59:51 pm »
And then there is the support bits for the collection ......

Alcohol, Chocolate & Caffeine for the late night bidding on o/seas evilbay bidding and or the recovery on the morning after   :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7847 on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:31 pm »
I see your 7 digit 5326a and raise you a 12 digit H02-5327a.

ok, not really.  but the H02 has 100 and 1000 gates that always lead to overflows.

so I made a 4 digit overflow unit using some 5082-7300 displays that my father pulled out of his pocket after arriving home from work in 1970 or 71.   built my first crude counter with them in about 76.  that was decades before my first nixie counter purchase.

the old man moved to a new condo 3 years ago and finally gave me his stash.  (guess at 92 he figured he probably would not use them.)

hmmmmmm.  maybe I will give up on nixies and go back to just classic hp dot led displays.   always thought they were damn good looking.

good luck with the 8 digit upgrade.   have done a couple of those and they are a piece of cake.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7848 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:24 pm »
As I'm cranking my ebay efforts down a bit, a quick tip which is one thing one of my algorithmic searches found: don't just search for Heathkit. Search for HealthKit (apple product). Turns out on iOS, Heathkit is corrected to that and ebay listers are idiots.
You're right, just checked it out and as it comes as no surprise, most of them are in the USA.

Reminds me of the time I went and collected my Heathkit IG4505 and the seller kept referring to it is "Heathcoat" so not only it seems that some people have problems with auto correction,but some just cannot read at all it seems. I remember he also had stashed away in his cupboard under the stairs a couple of HP scopes that he kept trying to push on me. They looked to be in really good order as well but fairly low in bandwidth so I declined the offer.
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7849 on: February 22, 2018, 11:27:40 pm »
You mean like this 13 Digit alphanumeric one ;D

Still a long way off but part of my R&S rip it apart

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf