Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555964 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Vince, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #7850 on: February 23, 2018, 12:18:05 am »
If you bid on both your mobile and desktop a the same time, one of the requests will be less latent than the other :D

If you have a third device then there will be one more transaction and one of them will be quicker still. Using induction, every extra device increases your chance of winning the auction. If you have an infinite number of devices you will win the auction before it is even posted in the first place. At last, a use for all those unshipped Windows Phones cluttering up warehouses across the world!  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #7851 on: February 23, 2018, 01:08:56 am »
Could you Please shut the hell up.
And stop spreading lies and misinformation.
ENOUGH ALREADY GOD DAMNIT!!

No. I recommend you ignore me, as clearly you cannot bear an opinion that differs from your own. And maybe, just maybe, you should try PMing me rather spewing your vitriol all over a public channel.

Yes - 10 seconds is lame. This is how you bid:

1. Change the wifi password so the kids and wife can't lag you out with YouTube and xbox games.
2. Install Chrome and uBlock edge on your laptop.
3. Stick your mobile phone on mobile data as well just in case your internet connection goes down.
4. Close all the windows other than the one for the auction.
5. Disable windows update service and trusted installer.
6. Disable antivirus
7. Stick your phone on divert.
8. Ask everyone to leave the room.
9. Join the 2 second crew.
10. Lose it anyway and be sad for the rest of the day.
11. Spend 30 minutes working out why the printer will no longer connect to the wifi after you change the password back.

And then STILL lose by 88¢ to someone who spent 20 seconds a couple days ago adding the item to their Gixen shopping list while they sipped their morning coffee.    :-DD |O  :-DD

mnem
*More than the sum of my ports*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #7852 on: February 23, 2018, 02:02:50 am »
Could you Please shut the hell up.
And stop spreading lies and misinformation.
ENOUGH ALREADY GOD DAMNIT!!

No. I recommend you ignore me, as clearly you cannot bear an opinion that differs from your own. And maybe, just maybe, you should try PMing me rather spewing your vitriol all over a public channel.

Yes - 10 seconds is lame. This is how you bid:

1. Change the wifi password so the kids and wife can't lag you out with YouTube and xbox games.
2. Install Chrome and uBlock edge on your laptop.
3. Stick your mobile phone on mobile data as well just in case your internet connection goes down.
4. Close all the windows other than the one for the auction.
5. Disable windows update service and trusted installer.
6. Disable antivirus
7. Stick your phone on divert.
8. Ask everyone to leave the room.
9. Join the 2 second crew.
10. Lose it anyway and be sad for the rest of the day.
11. Spend 30 minutes working out why the printer will no longer connect to the wifi after you change the password back.

And then STILL lose by 88¢ to someone who spent 20 seconds a couple days ago adding the item to their Gixen shopping list while they sipped their morning coffee.    :-DD |O  :-DD

mnem
*More than the sum of my ports*

There is a time and place for everything this is about electronics not MY GOD given right to own a firearm.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7853 on: February 23, 2018, 02:08:19 am »
Triggered by the ongoing discussion, an opinion piece.

Sometimes I'm only saved by being too finicky/undecided.
Like with the LCR-meter bids some weeks ago, which I reported.
Or with the Question of which RF level/power/mV-meter to get...?
HP, as they go higher in Frequency and are well supported due to numbers...or R&S, because I do not
need beyond 2GHz, like to have the options of a direct probe AND a through-head AND a normal one?
Or with the thing about the RF generator, which I want (HP8648C or D (with VFD!), because of space,
but with ALL options.
Really, does anybody understand the differences between the umpty-something SM?? signal generators from R&S? Well, I have decided that they are too big and thats it.

What are YOU all complaining about?
For a loong time, my professional career continued undisturbed, making use of a old 465, around 4 good multimeters, same for power supplies. Most things picked up at a yearly Hamfest (UKW-tage), and very occasional contacts to such dangerous people like Singer, Rosenkranz and Transomega (defunct). Then came EBay. Now I feel compelled to aquire a full-fledged multimeter calibrator in order to support the continued wellbeing of the cohort of electronic wretches that came into my care by that way.
Lost beloved and beautiful 'I do not want to live in a bloody laboratory!' wife.
Dismissed prospective dates even before they had the chance to do this to me, because auction..
Spending my sunday afternoon glued to the screen and having a watchlist full to the brim.

And the other parts of the internet aren't safe either! Most of you probably know the website where some guy compares the power switches of varied versions of HP instruments he owns. Whoa, there calls crazy! Bookmark and stay away!

Once I was able to derive a thrill from looking at a Tek catalogue. Now I'm on their mailing list.
Even the most private websites are plastered with ads trying to sell me a scope, a soldering station, a TEM chamber, a whatsitsname with blinkenlights.  Oh yeah, and a portable gamma ray source. Have you ever just envisioned yourself as the proud owner of such a thing? Do not follow this path! Seriously, when the guy from Huber&Suhner shows up at your home adress, you know that you are fucked!

And I even find more excuses, because that one time I followed up a problem from work, or in this project, where we could not have done otherwise. And so on. Then I came here, for HELP. Oh my, I got holpen.

But please, stop complaining and blaming it on Ebay. I KNOW that you can do better than flaunting that occasional boat anchor around. Nobody here will chide on you about the accellerator in your basement!
We will know it anyway the moment the Air Liquide truck pulls up to your home, to top off your magnets.

BTW, there's a mobile ex-mil electronics test and repair station for sale. Complete set of two trailers (bring your own prime mover, please).

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7854 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:13 am »

There is a time and place for everything this is about electronics not MY GOD given right to own a firearm.

While you are at it leave GOD out of it. Your decision to preach gun ownership here is no more or less correct than being anti and does nothing to discussing what we are really here for.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7855 on: February 23, 2018, 02:52:34 am »
If you have a third device then there will be one more transaction and one of them will be quicker still. Using induction, every extra device increases your chance of winning the auction. If you have an infinite number of devices you will win the auction before it is even posted in the first place. At last, a use for all those unshipped Windows Phones cluttering up warehouses across the world!  >:D

eBay would probably see all of them as a DDoS attack, block your account, and someone else would win the item...again. D'oh! |O
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7856 on: February 23, 2018, 02:55:26 am »
Bookmark and stay away!

Hmmm, how does that work? :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7857 on: February 23, 2018, 03:04:42 am »
You mean like this 13 Digit alphanumeric one ;D

Still a long way off but part of my R&S rip it apart

hmmmmmm.  not exactly the same.  but nice!

have a couple of other items with hp dot displays laying around.

would look for more,  but most of my available space is already taken up by nixie stuff.

maybe its time to develop some discipline and focus on just one obsession?
free range primate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7858 on: February 23, 2018, 03:24:07 am »
so I made a 4 digit overflow unit using some 5082-7300 displays that my father pulled out of his pocket after arriving home from work in 1970 or 71.

I like that little overflow unit. Good idea (and nice use for an old dot display).

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7859 on: February 23, 2018, 03:37:22 am »
So much more fun to 'try' and do it all instead of specializing  :-DD

Should be interesting to see how the R&S display matrix and buttons are driven.

Time for the real job for a bit  ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7860 on: February 23, 2018, 04:10:19 am »

Oh sweet cheese and crackers.   :palm:

No further comment.

Triggered by the ongoing discussion, an opinion piece.

Sometimes I'm only saved by being too finicky/undecided.
Like with the LCR-meter bids some weeks ago, which I reported.
Or with the Question of which RF level/power/mV-meter to get...?
HP, as they go higher in Frequency and are well supported due to numbers...or R&S, because I do not
need beyond 2GHz, like to have the options of a direct probe AND a through-head AND a normal one?
Or with the thing about the RF generator, which I want (HP8648C or D (with VFD!), because of space,
but with ALL options.
Really, does anybody understand the differences between the umpty-something SM?? signal generators from R&S? Well, I have decided that they are too big and thats it.

What are YOU all complaining about?
For a loong time, my professional career continued undisturbed, making use of a old 465, around 4 good multimeters, same for power supplies. Most things picked up at a yearly Hamfest (UKW-tage), and very occasional contacts to such dangerous people like Singer, Rosenkranz and Transomega (defunct). Then came EBay. Now I feel compelled to aquire a full-fledged multimeter calibrator in order to support the continued wellbeing of the cohort of electronic wretches that came into my care by that way.
Lost beloved and beautiful 'I do not want to live in a bloody laboratory!' wife.
Dismissed prospective dates even before they had the chance to do this to me, because auction..
Spending my sunday afternoon glued to the screen and having a watchlist full to the brim.

And the other parts of the internet aren't safe either! Most of you probably know the website where some guy compares the power switches of varied versions of HP instruments he owns. Whoa, there calls crazy! Bookmark and stay away!

Once I was able to derive a thrill from looking at a Tek catalogue. Now I'm on their mailing list.
Even the most private websites are plastered with ads trying to sell me a scope, a soldering station, a TEM chamber, a whatsitsname with blinkenlights.  Oh yeah, and a portable gamma ray source. Have you ever just envisioned yourself as the proud owner of such a thing? Do not follow this path! Seriously, when the guy from Huber&Suhner shows up at your home adress, you know that you are fucked!

And I even find more excuses, because that one time I followed up a problem from work, or in this project, where we could not have done otherwise. And so on. Then I came here, for HELP. Oh my, I got holpen.

But please, stop complaining and blaming it on Ebay. I KNOW that you can do better than flaunting that occasional boat anchor around. Nobody here will chide on you about the accellerator in your basement!
We will know it anyway the moment the Air Liquide truck pulls up to your home, to top off your magnets.

BTW, there's a mobile ex-mil electronics test and repair station for sale. Complete set of two trailers (bring your own prime mover, please).

I used to be all about places like American Science & Surplus; there was a similar place in Rochester NY I would frequent as a farm-grown youth because I wanted to be more than a ranch-hand and they had all kinds of interesting castoffs from the RIT Labs. One time I found 5V linear power supplies rated at 200A continuous for $10 each; I bought 3 and series-connected them to make a car battery charger/jump-starter, then found that they could actually power a spot-welding head. Another time I found a XEROX optical mouse with a mfg date in the 80s; I have no idea what happened to it, but it's entirely possible this was used with the WYSIWYG GUI that Jobs/Gates "liberated" and eventually turned into the PC as we know it.

I like the idea of rummaging around in salvage yards and maybe finding a Russian Geiger counter one week or part of a DARPA mainframe the next; (I still have the heads and discs from a smashed 8" IBM hard drive in a drawer somewhere just because they're so beautifully made) once upon a time most of eBay was like that. Now of course it's more fleas and Brand Central than anything of that sort. I get it.

But yeah; this place is no 12 Steps program, that's for sure. It's more like "Cheers" in that respect.  :-DD

Sometimes you feel a need to pray before the altar of inconvenienced electrons in the company of like-minded souls. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me of der blinkenlichten; that's a beloved meme that hasn't crossed my mind in years.

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN!
ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN.
DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS; ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

mnem
Sometimes you just wanna go where everybody knows your name.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:58:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7861 on: February 23, 2018, 06:19:21 am »

ACHTUNG!
ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS;ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

Our IT guy (who happens to be German) has that, or something very similar, on the door of our server room, though I think that's only half of it.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7862 on: February 23, 2018, 07:00:51 am »
You bid when there were still 10 seconds left? That's way too early. ;D

Your PM 6671 looks to be in great condition.

Naah. Didn't bid at 10 seconds. I do it at about 5 seconds, it then takes around 3 seconds for the confirmation dialog to appear, another 1 second for me to move the pointer over "confirm" and hit it. Not accounting for that extra dialog had me loosing several auctions.
It may be just as well. What if I did buy all that stuff?  :palm:

The PM 6671 was my very first counter. I always liked them Philips counters. Got it from a colleague (with some other goodies) who wants to get rid of all the stuff. He keeps on telling me how wonderfully free you feel when your house isn't cramped with needless things. It doesn't stick too well.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #7863 on: February 23, 2018, 07:05:35 am »
ACHTUNG!
DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS;ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

What?!?  :o  :wtf:  :palm:

What a poor translation / crossover / whatever this should be ...
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7864 on: February 23, 2018, 07:17:20 am »
I suspect it is the German equivalent of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin and a Joke/Barb aimed at meddling English native language speakers.  :-DD

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #7865 on: February 23, 2018, 07:23:37 am »
ACHTUNG!

I'm going to print that as a big poster sticker, seriously.  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #7866 on: February 23, 2018, 07:28:17 am »
I suspect it is the German equivalent of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin and a Joke/Barb aimed at meddling English native language speakers.  :-DD

Reminds me a bit of this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funniest_Joke_in_the_World

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7867 on: February 23, 2018, 07:35:00 am »

But yeah; this place is no 12 Steps program, that's for sure. It's more like "Cheers" in that respect.  :-DD

Sometimes you feel a need to pray before the altar of inconvenienced electrons in the company of like-minded souls. And there's nothing wrong with that.

mnem

Mnementh, we most certainly DO have a twelve (ok, maybe fourteen) step program - it's posted on the first page  >:D >:D (and quoted here below for your convenience):

In the "List your test equipment "scores" here!" thread, someone had asked what the 12 steps program was like.

1. Join EEVblog
2. Score some test gear
3. Post about your test equipment scores
4. Buy more test gear
10. Buy yet more test gear
11. Join TEA
12. Build your first circuit :-DD

which Pat kindly expanded upon

Here - as a certifiable TGAS sufferer (who am I kidding - I'm not suffering - I enjoy it!!) - let me flesh that ellipsis section out:

5. Buy op/service manuals for test gear on evilBay
6. Troubleshoot test gear
7. Seek out obsolete/discontinued components to repair test gear  |O
8. Read nixie thread and/or look at old HP Instrumentation catalogs   >:D >:D >:D >:D
9. Repeat steps 2 through 7, now searching for older, heavier, more expensive to ship things   :o 
12. Buy or build more shelves to hold test gear   :-+
13. (or later) - build first circuit   :-DD :-DD

-Pat

followed by Sean

14. Repeat steps 2 to 12 numerous times, either till the house is full ( then move to a bigger house) or the wife leaves.

and then, Berni

Today i just filled the last spot in my 42U high rack cabinet by adding in a Gigatronics 6100 8GHz synthesizer that managed to repair at 2 in the morning. :-+
but i also scored a Tektronix pattern generator for 40 bucks on ebay a few days ago. :-\

For me it mostly started as getting the test gear i needed for a better price since quality brand new gear costs a fortune. But in order to find a good deal on places like ebay means looking trough a lot of pages and keeping eyes open, as good deals go fast, but along the way one keeps coming across other gear that you perhaps don't need right now but it would be neat to have. But hey all this test gear is useful for doing work and you can always sell it (If done right for more than what you payed for it)... tho i only ever sold 1 piece of test equipment so far (And lost money on it cause i bought it new).

Still better than collecting stamps (Tho they are easier to ship overseas il give them that)

What's your story?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7868 on: February 23, 2018, 08:37:01 am »
Not sure how well known this IC cross reference is but from Page 6 onward HP owns up to compatible and or original manufacturers were (circa 1990)

http://www.hparchive.com/Bench_Briefs/HP-Bench-Briefs-1990-07-12.pdf

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ, bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7869 on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:25 am »
That's rather good - thanks for posting it!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7870 on: February 23, 2018, 12:20:18 pm »
Bookmark and stay away!

I think it's a bit like the local Vicar having a map of all the nearby houses of ill repute so that he can avoid them, or pray for them, or catch rescue fallen women. Yea, something like that  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7871 on: February 23, 2018, 02:48:28 pm »
ACHTUNG!

What?!?  :o  :wtf:  :palm:

What a poor translation / crossover / whatever this should be ...

Reminds me a bit of this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funniest_Joke_in_the_World

;D

It is a deliberate pidgin of German and American English  phonemes, intended to sound Germanic to non-Europeans while still being comprehensible to Americans.

Actually according to my grandfather, who was a master machinist after the war, this is actually a bastardization of a poster that was popular in American machine shops during the war, created when it was still okay to make fun of  the German accent and staccato, guttural pronunciation of almost every word.

This "IT-Relevant" version has been bouncing around computer labs since before there was such a thing as "IT". It is known to have hung on the walls of various labs and even offices at IBM in the 1950s, at MIT in the 1960s, and even into the 1980s at various AT&T data clusters and telephony locations.

mnem

Mnementh, we most certainly DO have a twelve (ok, maybe fourteen) step program - it's posted on the first page  >:D >:D (and quoted here below for your convenience):

In the "List your test equipment "scores" here!" thread, someone had asked what the 12 steps program was like.

1. Join EEVblog
2. Score some test gear
3. Post about your test equipment scores
4. Buy more test gear
10. Buy yet more test gear
11. Join TEA
12. Build your first circuit :-DD

which Pat kindly expanded upon

(SNIP)

-Pat

Ummm... yeah. That's NOT a 12-Step Program to Recovery; it's a 12 steps... or 13, or 14, or 50 steps... further down the rabbit hole "Program". :-DD

But at least you've gotten to the first step... admitting there is a problem. Sortof. ;)

Bookmark and stay away!

I think it's a bit like the local Vicar having a map of all the nearby houses of ill repute so that he can avoid them, or pray for them, or catch rescue fallen women. Yea, something like that  :)

The mental image I get of that scene goes something like this...

*Preacher outside brothel, wearing best disapproving look* " Have you no SHAME? Have you no SELF-RESPECT? Have you no place where we can be ALONE?!? "

Cheers,

mnem
"Pithy" comes from caffeine, and I'm all out of coffee.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:23:30 pm by mnementh »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7872 on: February 23, 2018, 04:52:56 pm »
"Pithy" comes from caffeine, and I'm all out of coffee.

The stepdaugher is just the opposite.  When she is full of caaffiene, she is not pithy, she bloviates at a word speed auctioneers would have trouble keeping up with. |O |O |O  Her doctor has warned her, no caffeine, but she refuses to listen.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #7873 on: February 23, 2018, 05:17:33 pm »
Not sure how well known this IC cross reference is but from Page 6 onward HP owns up to compatible and or original manufacturers were (circa 1990)

Thanks!
That has just made it into my "Useful Tables" folder on my desktop.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7874 on: February 23, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »

Thanks!
That has just made it into my "Useful Tables" folder on my desktop.

Same here; right into my DataSheets folder. Thanks!  :-+

Unfortunately for you bean, the alternates don't appear to be much more helpful. I did a quick search on the A141A-100 and the A142A-100, and my most relevant hits were:

and 

Not exactly hope-inspiring. I fear your only real source for the Option 001 kit may be to find a euckered unit that uses the same nixie and support ICs. Does anybody have anything posted that's like a Hollander's for HP test Gear?

mnem
*Currently nuking a Tek 2230*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf