Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15521390 times)

Cyclotron and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #8075 on: March 01, 2018, 03:26:17 pm »
My boiler just gave out :(

Turning on ALL the test gear and attaching dummy load to my rig  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8076 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:12 pm »

..."No! No... He wants the Precious... Always he’s looking for it, and the Precious is wanting to go back to him. But we mustn’t let him have it!"  :-DD

mnem
I can neither confirm nor deny any interest in the TEA shirt.  ;)
TEA shirt. Very punny. ;D

*Ducks random soggy ol' boot thrown in his direction*

Aye... I'm known to pun with neither provocation nor remorse, and the worse the pun the better.  ;D

Nuked a PC Mobo with just air once !  :rant:
How?
Hit it with 120 psi to shift all the grud off it.
Been playing around with PC boxes for decades and when I went to power it up again it was dead as a dodo !
Static is the greatest suspect. IIRC the RAM might've been pulled for cleaning too so open static path to the CPU.  ::)

In my case I noticed the CPU fan was spinning at light speed. Ops... too late I fried the fan driver circuit and who knows what else....
Yep, been playing with mechanical stuff and air for decades and seen what things can do if they're spun hard or too long with lots of air. Don't do it, believe me !

Now I use a natural bristle paintbrush and geeeeeentle air !

While it is theoretically possible to create a static charge with compressed air, it is really hard to do with a properly grounded air compressor; the body of the tank provide an excellent capacitive circuit to ground. Air has to be dry, high volume, high velocity, low pressure from an ungrounded source. Pretty much the exact opposite of what an air compressor generates.

Now on the other hand, a gas-powered leaf-blower can generate quite a charge; but if you're using one of those on PC motherboards, there are a lot of other things in your process that warrant review. ;)

I much more suspect the human element; that you yourself were carrying a static charge, and forgot to discharge yourself ONE TIME out of dozens in a session before reaching for a sensitive piece of electronics.  :-\   It's inevitable, really. You work with electronics long enough, it's gonna happen.

That said... I usually use a natural bristle paint brush & a dirt sucker for everything I clean on the bench; compressed air blows schizz all over the place, and it doesn't do me any good to clean the lint & fuzz out of a computer or stereo only to have them sucked into my bench power supply or 'scope.

That's not cleaning; it's Rescue, Rehabilitate & Release for dust bunnies.  :-DD

If something is crusty enough to need 120 psi air, I'll take it to the driveway on a crash cart before I unleash the Hounds of Pascal on it's arse.

mnem
*Currently nuking a TSGER T12 Soldering Controller*
Oi, No stop nuking T12s it's not allowed 🤣
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8077 on: March 01, 2018, 03:32:43 pm »

Yep, if its going to go it's always going to happen on the coldest days of the year. Mine did that last year.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8078 on: March 01, 2018, 04:25:40 pm »
Quick T12 update. My other kit arrived yesterday when I was out. I wasn't told. I found the box dumped in the hall under some school uniform which had been discarded :palm: .  Opened it up. No Apple charger present - proper switching supply. It is soldered directly to the mains inlet so I will rework that but looks decent.

I have also ordered some more T12 bits:

1. Another 9501 handle. They're excellent to be honest.
2. Another T12 alloy enclosure. I am only after the middle section of that to be honest. I will rebuild the low voltage one I have into the longer enclosure and put the boost converter in there as well. Plus a fuse, some reverse voltage protection and some Anderson powerpoles.
3. A couple more K tips.

The Weller is going. This is orders of magnitude better. Plus I have a portable and a bench setup now  :-+

So question - I'm currently using a Weller stand for it which is WRONG on so many levels. Are there any decent stands out there?

Edit: also has anyone seen this bad boy? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KSGER-Soldering-Iron-Station-OLED-T12-Tips-STM32-V3-0-DIY-Kits-FX9501-Electric-Tools-Lithium/1486111_32848362100.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:40:00 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8079 on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:13 pm »

Ow! And with your credit card in small pieces too.

Still, the good news is that the death of the boiler won't make the temperature in the kennel any lower.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8080 on: March 01, 2018, 04:54:25 pm »
Hahaha. Fortunately I have boiler cover so pipe monkey will be out on Saturday. Only one day of freezing my arse off which I will spend between Toby Carvery, RS trade counter and starbucks. Am dumping kids at their grandparents tonight.

Bought a KSGER T12 stand. Metal doohickey here. Hopefully not too shit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KSGER-Soldering-Iron-Station-Stand-DIY-T12-Holder-Welding-Iron-Tips-STC-STM32-Metal-Handle-Aluminum/32826962381.html

Edit: also found I got a customs charge on something to pay.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:57:16 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8081 on: March 01, 2018, 05:21:12 pm »
Only one day of freezing my arse off which I will spend between Toby Carvery, RS trade counter and starbucks.

I didn't know there was a trade counter anywhere particularly near you - nearest one when I used to live out that way was, IIRC, at Slough.

Question for you: The last time I needed to use an RS trade counter I had an account but I remember that at the time they wouldn't take walk-in trade armed only with cash or a credit card, you had to have an account. Since then RS have become much more liberal about who they will do business with and how. So, now they are a bit more relaxed, will they now take walk-in trade? I ask because a few times I've ordered things for other people because I'd have liked to just point them at the local RS trade counter, but wasn't sure if they'd get turned away, and I couldn't find a clear statement on the subject from the RS website.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8082 on: March 01, 2018, 05:29:49 pm »

Ow! And with your credit card in small pieces too.

Still, the good news is that the death of the boiler won't make the temperature in the kennel any lower.  :)
Kennel? surely you mean the tin shed  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8083 on: March 01, 2018, 05:38:07 pm »
Quick T12 update. My other kit arrived yesterday when I was out. I wasn't told. I found the box dumped in the hall under some school uniform which had been discarded :palm: .  Opened it up. No Apple charger present - proper switching supply. It is soldered directly to the mains inlet so I will rework that but looks decent.

I have also ordered some more T12 bits:

1. Another 9501 handle. They're excellent to be honest.
2. Another T12 alloy enclosure. I am only after the middle section of that to be honest. I will rebuild the low voltage one I have into the longer enclosure and put the boost converter in there as well. Plus a fuse, some reverse voltage protection and some Anderson powerpoles.
3. A couple more K tips.

The Weller is going. This is orders of magnitude better. Plus I have a portable and a bench setup now  :-+

So question - I'm currently using a Weller stand for it which is WRONG on so many levels. Are there any decent stands out there?

Edit: also has anyone seen this bad boy? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KSGER-Soldering-Iron-Station-OLED-T12-Tips-STM32-V3-0-DIY-Kits-FX9501-Electric-Tools-Lithium/1486111_32848362100.html
Never had a Weller iron but I'm dead chuffed with my T12, although I've had a couple of the tips go bad on the connections when I've changed them over, really recommend having more then 1 handle and not changing the tips over. Are you still using the cheap supplied tips or did you get some genuine Hakko ones?

Thinking about your boiler situation, I bet you wish you hadn't chopped your credit card up now, so are you able to get it fixed without it, can't use SWBMO's as its maxed out?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8084 on: March 01, 2018, 05:44:32 pm »
Hahaha. Fortunately I have boiler cover so pipe monkey will be out on Saturday. Only one day of freezing my arse off which I will spend between Toby Carvery, RS trade counter and starbucks. Am dumping kids at their grandparents tonight.

Bought a KSGER T12 stand. Metal doohickey here. Hopefully not too shit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KSGER-Soldering-Iron-Station-Stand-DIY-T12-Holder-Welding-Iron-Tips-STC-STM32-Metal-Handle-Aluminum/32826962381.html

Edit: also found I got a customs charge on something to pay.  >:(
I have 2 of those stands, they are OK but be warned however that the 9501 handle is almost horizontal in it because of the centre of gravity, whereas the 907 handle fits perfectly due to the tip extending longer which does make the vibration switch less sensitive.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8085 on: March 01, 2018, 05:45:42 pm »
Only one day of freezing my arse off which I will spend between Toby Carvery, RS trade counter and starbucks.

I didn't know there was a trade counter anywhere particularly near you - nearest one when I used to live out that way was, IIRC, at Slough.

Question for you: The last time I needed to use an RS trade counter I had an account but I remember that at the time they wouldn't take walk-in trade armed only with cash or a credit card, you had to have an account. Since then RS have become much more liberal about who they will do business with and how. So, now they are a bit more relaxed, will they now take walk-in trade? I ask because a few times I've ordered things for other people because I'd have liked to just point them at the local RS trade counter, but wasn't sure if they'd get turned away, and I couldn't find a clear statement on the subject from the RS website.

Heathrow is nearest to me. It's not even really Heathrow but a bit north up the A312.

They will do business with whoever now. I must have put 100 orders through them in the last year. Don't expect miracles at the trade counter. I got an order of specific parts delivered to the trade counter - they have nothing much to browse through. You can just turn up and ask for stuff though.

Never had a Weller iron but I'm dead chuffed with my T12, although I've had a couple of the tips go bad on the connections when I've changed them over, really recommend having more then 1 handle and not changing the tips over. Are you still using the cheap supplied tips or did you get some genuine Hakko ones?

Thinking about your boiler situation, I bet you wish you hadn't chopped your credit card up now, so are you able to get it fixed without it, can't use SWBMO's as its maxed out?

I have two handles now. You need a soldering iron to fix them so they are self supporting now :D ... just using the cheap tips. They're pretty good. I figure they are consumable and at just under £3 if I use one a month up, meh.

As for the boiler situation, I have insurance. Got enough cash to cover a full boiler replacement if need be as well. The card was just easier to account for "fun spending" separately.  Been flat out broke before and entirely in deep shit and said to myself back then I'm never letting myself get into that hole again  :phew:

I have 2 of those stands, they are OK but be warned however that the 9501 handle is almost horizontal in it because of the centre of gravity, whereas the 907 handle fits perfectly due to the tip extending longer which does make the vibration switch less sensitive.

not too bothered about that. As long as it works. The main thing is so I can get rid of the Weller. I'll play with different stands next :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8086 on: March 01, 2018, 05:53:16 pm »
The only T12 failures I've had have been when swapping tips over for a bigger / smaller tip according to what I was doing. It seems that ring terminals get caught on the handle terminals and breaks them  :palm: Strange thing is though, every time one breaks, its with a 9501 handle, the cheaper 907 never have any problems with breaking tips, just that the hand is not as comfortable to work with.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8087 on: March 01, 2018, 06:08:34 pm »

It is definitely possible.

You can also order online, see what's already behind the counter (oooh er missus), order online, and pick up online orders at the counter the next day.

The latter is beneficial with "special" things that are big or the couriers don't like carrying.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8088 on: March 01, 2018, 06:14:03 pm »
The only T12 failures I've had have been when swapping tips over for a bigger / smaller tip according to what I was doing. It seems that ring terminals get caught on the handle terminals and breaks them  :palm: Strange thing is though, every time one breaks, its with a 9501 handle, the cheaper 907 never have any problems with breaking tips, just that the hand is not as comfortable to work with.

I’m hitting everything from huge ground planes to 0805’s with the standard K tip. I’ll only change one out if it dies. I’m not a different tip for every occasion person :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8089 on: March 01, 2018, 06:25:03 pm »

It is definitely possible.

You can also order online, see what's already behind the counter (oooh er missus), order online, and pick up online orders at the counter the next day.

The latter is beneficial with "special" things that are big or the couriers don't like carrying.

I've done most of the above, it was just specifically the "walk in off the street as a cash customer" that was at question. As I say, it was a problem in the past and I've never been able to figure out if it had definitely gone away along with all the other peculiarities of dealing with "Radiospares" over the years. I remember the days where getting an account at RS wasn't far removed in effort from negotiating a distribution agreement with a component manufacturer.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8090 on: March 01, 2018, 06:34:18 pm »
I remember the days where getting an account at RS wasn't far removed in effort from negotiating a distribution agreement with a component manufacturer.
... and their 741 opamps were marked 123-465, and their input offset voltage wasn't normally distributed - it was bimodal near the specified limits.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8091 on: March 01, 2018, 06:36:37 pm »
Ugh that reminds me. I have a blown up power supply somewhere and it has a 5 pin TO3 with an RS logo and part number on it. I can’t find out what the hell it is anywhere.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8092 on: March 01, 2018, 06:43:15 pm »
Thats like my Sharetree RF generator, that thing is full of RS numbered IC's and no information is available for it all, it sucks when people do things like that. RS can't help either other than to tell me that the part is obsolete URGH.  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8093 on: March 01, 2018, 06:47:01 pm »
Ugh that reminds me. I have a blown up power supply somewhere and it has a 5 pin TO3 with an RS logo and part number on it. I can’t find out what the hell it is anywhere.

Assume it is an old 2N3055 - not one of the new ones with an ft that is sufficiently high to allow it to oscillate.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8094 on: March 01, 2018, 06:50:56 pm »
You need post a pic as it'll be a rebrand. Someone here will spot what it is.
Sometimes there's clues about the OEM on the PCB.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8095 on: March 01, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »
Thats like my Sharetree RF generator, that thing is full of RS numbered IC's and no information is available for it all, it sucks when people do things like that. RS can't help either other than to tell me that the part is obsolete URGH.  :rant:

At one time, RS part numbers magically 'worked' if you tapped them into Farnell's web site - I don't know if it still does - you could give it a try. A hangover from when the Farnell rep gave you a list with RS part numbers next to equivalent Farnell part numbers.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8096 on: March 01, 2018, 07:10:32 pm »

Assume it is an old 2N3055 - not one of the new ones with an ft that is sufficiently high to allow it to oscillate.

It has 5 pins. I think it was an early linear regulator.

It’s right at the back of the hall cupboard and under boxes of crap so I’ll dig it it out one day and post it.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8097 on: March 01, 2018, 07:57:52 pm »

It has 5 pins. I think it was an early linear regulator.

It’s right at the back of the hall cupboard and under boxes of crap so I’ll dig it it out one day and post it.

Don't be picky. A 2N3055 is sufficient for most needs, given sufficient imagination :) Especially if you add a 555 :)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8098 on: March 01, 2018, 07:59:53 pm »

Yep, if its going to go it's always going to happen on the coldest days of the year. Mine did that last year.

Yup. My heater gave out during one of the coldest weeks of the year. Fortunately, it was just the igniter element, which I could order online and receive within a few days.

Of course, since I ordered an extra to have on hand, everything's been fine for years.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8099 on: March 01, 2018, 08:02:19 pm »

..."No! No... He wants the Precious... Always he’s looking for it, and the Precious is wanting to go back to him. But we mustn’t let him have it!"  :-DD

mnem
I can neither confirm nor deny any interest in the TEA shirt.  ;)
TEA shirt. Very punny. ;D

*Ducks random soggy ol' boot thrown in his direction*

Aye... I'm known to pun with neither provocation nor remorse, and the worse the pun the better.  ;D

I've been known to puntificate on a whim as well. ;D So, you won't get any complaints from me.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf