Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15639067 times)

TERRA Operative, Vince, aeug, mnementh and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10075 on: April 30, 2018, 07:10:21 pm »
Now for something completely different, some gratuitous photos of my sig gen and TTI TF930 checking the accuracy of the dial.

Not bad for £36.01 and it even came with the original instruction manual in pretty good condition as well, thats my third Ebay score in a week.

That is pretty good for an instrument of that age.

I literally just a the cheaper, inferior Japanese plastic version of it, the Leader 17A  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10076 on: April 30, 2018, 07:13:29 pm »
tggzzz: have you seen this? Not terribly far from you :D

https://www.gumtree.com/p/medical-laboratory-equipment/tektronix-2465-300mhz-oscilloscope-fully-working-/1296704580

I'd grab it if it was a bit closer but it's about £45 (plus food) of travel for me plus a whole day out :(

Shhh!

Swansea is at the wrong end of the M4, over toll bridges. The car cost would be £80 at HMRC rates (which I use to try and convince myself that I don't want something).

That technique failed. I need to put it on record that I have a love-hate relationship with bd139 and mnementh.

I even gave him the full price (£120), because he was a young lad defecting to software that also gave me a cheap probe and a couple of books for the local Hackspace.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:17:43 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10077 on: April 30, 2018, 07:15:54 pm »
I would like to apologise. So I’ve cost you two scopes now. At least they were nice ones  :-DD

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10078 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:46 pm »

You're welcome!

Hmmm... seems I can get right through the checkout to the payment page on my PC, as long as I'm logged into my account. Maybe you need hop on a PC and create an account? There's always the option of using your PayPal card as a credit card as well; gives you a 2nd layer of security even if you have to use a public PC. I agree it would be a lot easier if they just took PP directly though...

mnem
*tsk-ily*

Sorry, I don't grok this. I have an account (almost since ABE started), and I'm using a 'real' computer. I have no PayPal account, though, and no mobile phone. I do have a credit card since ages, but when they sent me the newest, they made 2 factor authorization mandatory, and the second factor must be a mobile phone. The only thing I can use the credit card for now is scrapping of stickers from TE.  :(

Ahhh.... no. My credit cards haven't yet forced me to go 2 factor auth yet; they just this latest renewal went with embedded chip. I thought you were blaming some quirk with ABE Books for this issue. Sounds to me like your CC Co is run by a bunch of total asshats if they can't serve you without a mobile phone (I know, question asked and answered as they are a CC Co); I'd look into another credit card, or PayPal and one of their cards.

Cheers,

mnem
"All the world is mad save thee and me; and oft I have my doubts of thee."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10079 on: April 30, 2018, 07:57:51 pm »
Anyone know what is the difference of having a bench meter calibrated by RS is between their 2 service options apart from price?

They do a traceable calibration for £64 or a UKAS one for £83, but what actually is the difference?  :-//

Now watch some smart arse come back with the answer of £19  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10080 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »
UKAS just says the government certified they’re not muppets.

Outcome is the same AFAIK. Sometimes people want to know that the company they’re paying to do something isn’t using dell boy down the market so that adds a suitable paper trail.

Basically get a traceable cal done from someone who does UKAS :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10081 on: April 30, 2018, 08:10:44 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't really paying attention. Did someone mention my name?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10082 on: April 30, 2018, 08:11:31 pm »

No, it's $26.15 USD.  :P :P :P :P :P
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10083 on: April 30, 2018, 08:13:41 pm »
Them's fightin' words!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10084 on: April 30, 2018, 08:13:52 pm »

You said it, not me  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10085 on: April 30, 2018, 08:15:23 pm »
Them's fightin' words!
Yeah you're right, I never asked for a currency conversion, I can do that for myself >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10086 on: April 30, 2018, 08:16:32 pm »
Part I.

Saturday's lawn-mowing was only part of the household chores I'd sworn to do during this long weekend. While eagerly waiting for my parcel to arrive, I commenced the ironing marathon. And miracles do happen! To be fair to Hermes, they did deliver the thing today. Which means I sat there with the cardboard box in my sweaty hands and could not open it immediately. Instead I had to hoover and wipe the floors (the latter is associated with real physical pain, so I keep deferring it for too long). As I expected to get hungry eventually, I also had to go and buy something to eat.

But then I finally got around opening the box, and here it was: The PM2421 that was solely responsible for my relapse! Except for the styrofoam placed directly in front of the front :) that left tiny pieces all over and in the binding posts, it was properly packaged. Well, some of the upholstering looked a bit on the "good opportunity to get rid of some garbage" side. The meter looked good apart from the loose mains switch - thus I've not yet powered it up.

Here's some pictures of this beautiful instrument. Even if it doesn't work and I can't get it to, I'm not sorry for the 30 € (with shipping).

This case is made to last: That label implies some pride (my reading):

And the innards, so full of colors! I could look at them for hours.  8)

Hope I'm not violating any rules by posting lots of biggish pictures (I do scale them down to 50 % however).
If you're offended by this, please let me know.

Now if you take a closer look at the labels above the switches on the front, you'll probably see why I just had to have this baby.  :-+

Ero-Shan, whose mood lightened up considerably during the last hours.

That is delightful... Nixies, 7400 series logic and discrete TTL/DTL all with analog frontend. Something from pretty much every generation in one box. Thank you!  :-+ :-+ :-+

I don't mind big pix; I just try and make my replies smaller by resizing pics other folks have already seen. You can still see all that luscious Philips pulchritude just by clicking on the thumbs.  ;D

mnem
This space left intentionally blank.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:34:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10087 on: April 30, 2018, 08:17:45 pm »
Yeah you're right, I never asked for a currency conversion, I can do that for myself >:D
And if you want to get into a fight with a programmer, ask for a concurrency conversion.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10088 on: April 30, 2018, 08:18:37 pm »
Hahaha guess who wrote our currency exchange engine :)

3 fucking months that took :)

Edit: random thing on 74 series logic:

74HC -> meh
74LS -> warmer
74xx -> snuggly warm and happy feeling

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:20:21 pm by bd139 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10089 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:46 pm »
Page not found!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10090 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:10 pm »

Outcome is the same AFAIK. Sometimes people want to know that the company they’re paying to do something isn’t using dell boy down the market so that adds a suitable paper trail.

A sensible answer that concurs with my thoughts. Anyone who knows anything to with meters and standards knows that RS aren't muppets and in any case I'm not intending to sell the meter so I'm certainly not paying another £19 just to another piece of paper that states the UK government approves of them. I can write that myself on a piece of paper and present to myself along with the RS certificate of calibration (assuming they don't turn it down like the one in Romford did)
Who let Murphy in?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10091 on: April 30, 2018, 08:23:13 pm »
tggzzz: have you seen this? Not terribly far from you :D

https://www.gumtree.com/p/medical-laboratory-equipment/tektronix-2465-300mhz-oscilloscope-fully-working-/1296704580

I'd grab it if it was a bit closer but it's about £45 (plus food) of travel for me plus a whole day out :(

Shhh!

Swansea is at the wrong end of the M4, over toll bridges. The car cost would be £80 at HMRC rates (which I use to try and convince myself that I don't want something).

That technique failed. I need to put it on record that I have a love-hate relationship with bd139 and mnementh.

I even gave him the full price (£120), because he was a young lad defecting to software that also gave me a cheap probe and a couple of books for the local Hackspace.

LOL!!! Glad I could help (Push you over the edge) in your hour of need!  :-DD

mnem
I don't suffer from insanity; I'm loving every damned minute of it!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10092 on: April 30, 2018, 08:24:41 pm »

A sensible answer that concurs with my thoughts. Anyone who knows anything to with meters and standards knows that RS aren't muppets and in any case I'm not intending to sell the meter so I'm certainly not paying another £19 just to another piece of paper that states the UK government approves of them. I can write that myself on a piece of paper and present to myself along with the RS certificate of calibration (assuming they don't turn it down like the one in Romford did)

I noticed a lot of cal places only do “testers” and seem to be run by chav trolls who spend more time calibrating what’s in their trousers. Phoned two and then just searched UKAS outfits.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10093 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:23 pm »

I bid £19.50!!!  :-DD

mnem
*Some other smart-arse*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10094 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:11 pm »

I noticed a lot of cal places only do “testers” and seem to be run by chav trolls who spend more time calibrating what’s in their trousers. Phoned two and then just searched UKAS outfits.
The one in Romford was a UKAS outfit as well  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10095 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:40 pm »
By the way, are you sure you're looking at a calibration with adjustment and not just a calibration? If you want a paper that says your meter is out of spec at the moment, I'll write one for you for half the money.

If traceability and certification aren't relevant, I can do a calibration for you over the internet. ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10096 on: April 30, 2018, 08:28:44 pm »

The one in Romford was a UKAS outfit as well  :-//

That’s a surprise! Romford innit. Got unsuccessfully carjacked there in the town multi storey car park once so YMMV.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10097 on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:13 pm »
By the way, are you sure you're looking at a calibration with adjustment and not just a calibration? If you want a paper that says your meter is out of spec at the moment, I'll write one for you for half the money.

If traceability and certification aren't relevant, I can do a calibration for you over the internet. ;D
Oh thanks, but I can also self certify as a qualified engineer in the same manner as I can sign peoples passports applications for them  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10098 on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:32 pm »
That’s a surprise! Romford innit. Got unsuccessfully carjacked there in the town multi storey car park once so YMMV.
They reconsidered when they saw it was a, what was it again? Fiat Panda?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10099 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:39 pm »
I don't mind big pix; I just try and make my replies smaller by resizing pics other folks have already seen. You can still see all that luscious Philips pulchritude just by clicking on the thumbs.  ;D

This is something I really don't understand: Why would you even include/quote the pictures that are already in this thread in your reply? Sometimes I see one sentence replies that quote an enormous post and I really can't imagine why... I guess its not taking any server storage space but still I have to scroll past something I have already seen at least one time to get to the reply  :-//
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf