Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562781 times)

BILLPOD, Vince and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10300 on: May 04, 2018, 04:32:12 pm »
We used to have a perfectly good fleet of Harriers, Jaguars, Tornadoes and some nice new shiny Nimrods until the government of the day decided that we could afford a peace dividend and scrapped them all. Now only have a few serviceable aircraft and a brand new carrier with no aircraft to fly from it? On top of that we are now in Brexit talks so once thats done and dusted we won't be in a position defend our self.

Not a good position to be in with all the unrest in the world right now.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10301 on: May 04, 2018, 04:38:40 pm »
If anyone is interested this meter has just appeared on Ebay and it has a 4.5 / 5.5 digit button but it is also a 6.5 digit meter which is activated by pressing the ** button then the 5.5 button and its British.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-1905A-5-5-Digit-Bench-Multimeter/202300710555?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50545%26meid%3D93e8ac1e98ad45979795a71f38c0780f%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D253593975145%26itm%3D202300710555&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10302 on: May 04, 2018, 04:40:48 pm »
USPS delivery yesterday. 3 boxes. What's inside them? Let's see....

Box 1: A “care package” thanks to mnementh. Contains various mainly power supply bits. Includes a few small transformers that are perfect for the 5 volt Fluke 8000A project. Thanks pal!  :-+

Box 2: From Mouser. Parts to rebuild the 110V supply in the Tek 465.  :-/O

Box 3: Not mine. It's hers. Clothes from one of her favorite shops. As I mentioned before she has items delivered here rather than her place because of rampart package theft.

Can't wait to work on the 465 to see if it finally comes up but she's arriving this afternoon for the weekend. So it will have to wait until next week. It was a tough choice.  :scared: :-DD

Glad I could help (empty out one of many drawers of junk at your place) !    ;)

Also... speaking of packages for "her"... at least you actually got something YOU wanted. Whenever I'm waiting for a package with "special goodies" in it, my wife gets something from Amazon, Monkey Ward, or Mary Kay instead... Last month FOUR DAYS IN A ROW that happened while I was waiting on a micro FPV camera from AKK Technology.  >:(  It's like the packages KNOW they're for HER, and kick my packages out of the sorting line or somesuch effing thing, I SWEAR.  :P

As for whether you made the "right choice"... here's my secret to a successful marriage of nearly 20 years; Whenever I encounter conflict, or even, in cases like this where I can foresee conflict in the future if I make a certain choice, I ask myself: "Would I rather be right, or would I rather be happy?"

You'd be amazed at how few times "right" is the right answer, and how EASY it becomes to choose "happy" and to really BE happy.  ;D

mnem
Of course, every once in a while a man's got to be RIGHT...  >:D and Happy be damned.  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #10303 on: May 04, 2018, 04:54:48 pm »
If anyone is interested this meter has just appeared on Ebay and it has a 4.5 / 5.5 digit button but it is also a 6.5 digit meter which is activated by pressing the ** button then the 5.5 button and its British.

Not sure there's any point in counting digits if the device doesn't have the internal reference and stability to support them.

As an aside, I was mucking about with my Rigol DM3058, using some new 4-wire Kelvin clips to repeatedly measure a 5 Ohm power resistor over a 10 min period. It will happily chuck out 10 digits over USB like they meant something  :-DD

These are (some of) the data and small graph:

and this is a scatter plot of the data - all over the place!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10304 on: May 04, 2018, 04:57:32 pm »
We used to have a perfectly good fleet of Harriers, Jaguars, Tornadoes and some nice new shiny Nimrods until the government of the day decided that we could afford a peace dividend and scrapped them all. Now only have a few serviceable aircraft and a brand new carrier with no aircraft to fly from it? On top of that we are now in Brexit talks so once thats done and dusted we won't be in a position defend our self.

Not a good position to be in with all the unrest in the world right now.

We're fine. We have a bunch of shit in service which is top notch.  We have Eurofighter, F35's, quite a few GR4's, numerous drones, A400 carriers, by far the most advanced airborne and ground radar systems, trident, one hefty aircraft carrier (finally!), skynet satellite network and we're surrounded by water and we have air bases all around the world.

Main defence for us is trident. To quote my father on it, who I agree with: "we can fuck any asshole on the planet in 40 minutes."

There are serious blacks ops in the UK don't forget as well, plus electronic warfare is a massive thing now (we pretty much lead the world there, even putting the shits up the US).

Really, and this is on topic for TEA, the main problem we have is we're breeding hordes of dumbasses in this country which means it's difficult building an engineering culture which is required to support the defence industry. When I worked in the defence industry most of the people in it were retiring. There's a vacuum. What would be nice is to see lots of new companies like TTi popping up!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10305 on: May 04, 2018, 05:12:15 pm »
Vacuum is right, I was sort of forced to retire partly due to I believe a family member who attended a 7 week intensive course to become a fully qualified electrical engineer so not needing my skills which took 8 years of college to gain and spending all my working life practising and gaining even more knowledge all the time. The qualification that person gained was for for pat testing. I approached the training centre to get clarification and was told that they could not provide training to my standard and that I infact do the the training that they provide.

That family member is now doing the support / quotes / and schemes that I used to do, god help the company in the long term and the poor customers is all I can say.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10306 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:04 pm »
I hope not, but this is where local parts shops should be able to score but I expect what does it in for them are the local business rates and the corporation taxes. If we aren't careful government greed will kill everything off.

https://youtu.be/ixlzlna_BUs

Explains loads.

Oh, FFS... this a-hole makes his money "selling" perpetual motion "technology" that doesn't work.  :-BROKE  In short, a snake-oil salesman. Shocking to me that his actual net worth isn't enough to convince even a girl on the dole (Really? 20-30k a year? She sure as hell isn't living like a queen on that with 2 kids to raise) that he's worth more to her than THAT little bit of breadcrumbs.

Even MORE shocking to me that his "accounting" (that is, the income he can show that won't put him in jail) isn't good enough to convince the government that he can support his new Russian Mail-Order Bride wife from India in any way that doesn't directly lead to HER being pregnant in 10 months, with a kid or two already by his worthless loins and winding up on the dole herself.  *Cue toilet flushing sounds*

I'm sorry dude... This guy's a waste of skin, and that whole video is just another fucking scam.  :bullshit:

mnem
*Allergic to the BS*
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:46:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10307 on: May 04, 2018, 05:41:48 pm »
Saw that last night. That's public sector and civil servant culture in action for you. We have a no hire rule if someone has been infected by the public sector. Literally don't even get invited to an interview.

Also if there's anything I have learned, the right approach to life is: rules are only applicable if you get caught.

If you haven't watched it, one of the best films ever: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/

Trailer:

I've loved Brazil since my mother and I watched it together when I was a kid. An "imperfect masterpiece" as she and many others have called it. I love Gilliam's vision of "bureaucracy run rampant" and especially the random nature in which everybody, the winners and the losers, seem to wind up in their place whether they deserve it or not. An amazing movie which, despite poor profitability, influenced movies that followed in nearly every genre.

*Makes mental note to find widescreen version and watch it again*

mnem
Geurilla HVAC Repairman... I laughed until my sides hurt...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10308 on: May 04, 2018, 05:43:59 pm »
I hope not, but this is where local parts shops should be able to score but I expect what does it in for them are the local business rates and the corporation taxes. If we aren't careful government greed will kill everything off.

<iframe width="240" height="180" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ixlzlna_BUs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Explains loads.

Oh, FFS... this a-hole makes his money "selling" perpetual motion "technology" that doesn't work.  :-BROKE  In short, a snake-oil salesman. Shocking to me that his actual net worth isn't enough to convince even a girl on the dole (Really? 20-30k a year? She sure as hell isn't living like a queen on that with 2 kids to raise) that he's worth more to her than THAT little bit of breadcrumbs.

Even MORE shocking to me that his "accounting" (that is, the income he can show that won't put him in jail) isn't good enough to convince the government that he can support his new Russian Mail-Order Bride wife from India in any way that doesn't directly lead to HER being pregnant in 10 months, with a kid or two already by his worthless loins and winding up on the dole herself.  *Cue toilet flushing sounds*

I'm sorry dude... This guy's a waste of skin, and that whole video is just another fucking scam.  :bullshit:

mnem
*Allergic to the BS*

The perpetual motion thing is bollocks. If you could harness it, it would slow the planet’s rotation down. Similar to a giant flywheel. I think he’s just going bonkers to be honest.

However the immigration and HMRC shit is about right. It’s a fucked up tangled mess. I’ve been in both sides of it before.

Firstly I’m am a company director and don’t get paid salary (I do now as I’m a permanent staff member as well as a director) and on numerous occasions I’ve been asked for pay slips and all sorts to prove income. The only reason I am actually permanent is because I can’t get a mortgage without a permanent job at the moment even if I earn over £100K in a year and have £150k in the bank. £50k salary? No problems. This is all due to how the referencing agencies work. If you don’t have a salary or a passport here you are a fart in the wind. Even if the organisation has access to the tax system don’t assume some incompetent or just psychotic bastard isn’t going to just decide to make your day a bad one.

As for immigration, he’s also on the mark. Indian women are totally different. I can see the attraction. They are more like British men which is why we get on with them. Living in West London for many years I dated the odd Indian girl. We didn’t hit it off because of disapproving Indian mothers not wanting them to date rag tag crazy metal heads driving land rovers  :-DD

On the immigration front my neighbour was actually refused reentry into the U.K. a few years ago when she went on holiday. She has a British passport, is a British National and has been in the U.K. for 28 years has two children here and they wouldn’t let her back in. She was  from Mumbai and is a software engineer at a large logistics company here. Went to university here. Her parents started a restaurant here that they still run.

What happened? No answers. But she was sent “home” to India. Cue £15k of legal battles for 7 years. Incompetence after incompetence. About two years they moved their entire family out of the U.K. I don’t blame them. She hadn’t seen her kids for 5 years.

This country is a fucked up unfair mess run by some sick fucks.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10309 on: May 04, 2018, 05:54:34 pm »
This is completely off topic, and of no relevance to this thread

I’m sure my mother showed that to my father once  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10310 on: May 04, 2018, 06:00:37 pm »

https://youtu.be/ixlzlna_BUs

Explains loads.

mnem
*Allergic to the BS*
Putting all of his so called inventions aside, the rest of it is more then likely factual. The 30k a year is don't forget free of taxes and all the normal deductions that people in employment have to put with. I was in full time employment, fully qualified electrical engineer (not to be confused with a contractor), had a company car, a wife and 3 children to support and after tax, NHS and pension deductions my take home pay was well below what this lady was getting for herself and 2 children so on paper she had more disposable income then I did.  She was living like a queen by comparison to me.

On that basis the vast majority of his video might well be true apart the free energy bit  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10311 on: May 04, 2018, 06:03:05 pm »

Gary Larson has a knack for making you reset the calibration on your personal perspective in interesting ways... He's a lifelong favorite. You can find his work (and that of oodles of your favorite satirists and social commentators) on GoComics... and if you go there, they actually make a little money (either by ads or you subscribing). These are the people who speak Truth to Power; help them make a living doing it.

GoComics A-Z Listing

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10312 on: May 04, 2018, 06:26:27 pm »

mnem
*Allergic to the BS*
Putting all of his so called inventions aside, the rest of it is more then likely factual. The 30k a year is don't forget free of taxes and all the normal deductions that people in employment have to put with. I was in full time employment, fully qualified electrical engineer (not to be confused with a contractor), had a company car, a wife and 3 children to support and after tax, NHS and pension deductions my take home pay was well below what this lady was getting for herself and 2 children so on paper she had more disposable income then I did.  She was living like a queen by comparison to me.

On that basis the vast majority of his video might well be true apart the free energy bit  :palm:

I guess my point is that he's a REALLY bad example to use. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could sling a piano.

I'm NOT saying that government bureaucracy isn't bat-chit crazy and verging on perverse in it's needlessly punitive approach to the public in general. While we over here may not have invented the big "B" ( You guys can probably take that title; any nation where they refer to "queuing" as a daily activity has a righteous claim), we sure as hell are trying to perfect it. Any streamlining that's been done has been solely such that as few bureaucrats as possible can torment as many people as possible in as little of his/her own time as possible per tormentee.

In case you didn't notice, y'all didn't boot the Tories out, you just drove them all over here. And now we're exporting them BACK to you.  :-DD

And before you say it, THEY are the ones who founded the infernal bureaucracy we loathe on both sides of the pond; no matter how much you may want to blame the "Liberals" who use it to their advantage whenever possible.

mnem
I could go with you, but I'd really rather stay home and drill screws through my feet.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:34:37 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10313 on: May 04, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »
Totally agree.

I’m not going to do a damn thing to support any politicians until we get a Star Trek council instead. Oops that was the EU.  :palm:

Talking of which, a German company got hold of my CV a couple of weeks back and it got me thinking. Also there appears to be a lot more cool stuff appearing in German eBay. And cheaper box73.de delivery :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10314 on: May 04, 2018, 06:47:16 pm »

As opposed us and our Star Wars Senate...

...complete with this jackhole.  :palm:

mnem

May the 4th be with you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:03:01 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10315 on: May 04, 2018, 07:10:38 pm »
DOOP always makes me laugh. I actually had a colleague many years ago who was basically Zapp Brannigan. He was in charge of Six Sigma integration with our team at the time who were doing hardware SIT.

I constantly have to ask myself if it was actually him who drove me into the software industry.

Anyway, this is drifting terribly off TEA, so a little steer back again... I have found a unicorn on ebay and it's mine, or someone else richer than me in this thread  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10316 on: May 04, 2018, 07:58:35 pm »
While we over here may not have invented the big "B" ( You guys can probably take that title; any nation where they refer to "queuing" as a daily activity has a righteous claim), we sure as hell are trying to perfect it.

No, the French invented and perfected Bureaucracy, ask anybody who has ever run a business in France. Heck, even the word is French.

Having dealt with the insides of Anglo-American, Anglo-German, Anglo-French and Anglo-Finnish businesses I've come to the conclusion that of those countries the French are the most bureaucratic, the Americans come in a surprise second, the Germans are *fractionally* more bureaucratic than the British, and the British and Finns about tie. I keep being surprised by the number of things that require a licence or official permission to do in the US that in Britain you just go and do e.g.: buying fireworks (most US states), needing a licence to run a business and needing permits for commerical filming in public places. However, the list for France would be almost endless.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10317 on: May 04, 2018, 08:34:19 pm »
Just watched Brazil, strange film until you fall in line with the plot, a bit like big brother.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10318 on: May 04, 2018, 09:09:21 pm »
It's pretty amazing, really, that anyone can rock up at Barnet Marine, buy a 70 Knot RIB, drive it down to a slipway on the tidal Thames and blat past Parliament at full speed. Or.... maybe not Parliament, now I think about it, definitely down-river of Wandsworth Bridge, though. The only reason private skippers need a license for 25M+ barges now is because EU demanded it.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10319 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:19 pm »

I’m sure my mother showed that to my father once  :-DD

I gave it to my mother so that she could give it to my father. It is still hanging in one of the toilets.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10320 on: May 04, 2018, 09:17:29 pm »
It's pretty amazing, really, that anyone can rock up at Barnet Marine, buy a 70 Knot RIB, drive it down to a slipway on the tidal Thames and blat past Parliament at full speed. Or.... maybe not Parliament, now I think about it, definitely down-river of Wandsworth Bridge, though. The only reason private skippers need a license for 25M+ barges now is because EU demanded it.
You can't do that there is a strict 12 knot speed limit on the Thames up as far as Wandsworth bridge and 8 knots from there up river.
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10321 on: May 04, 2018, 09:18:05 pm »
We used to have a perfectly good fleet of Harriers, Jaguars, Tornadoes and some nice new shiny Nimrods...
<politics deleted>

The Nimrods were never nice nor new nor shiny.

When first built in the 1970s, some bright spark decided to base them on the far too small 1950s Comet airframe. It was all downhill after that.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10322 on: May 04, 2018, 09:27:00 pm »
I was sure it never used to be. Clarkson did it in a Sunseeker Predator many moons ago... he probably had special dispensation, though  :)

Just had a look, 2008 was when they changed the speed regs on the Thames. I wouldn't have guessed it was as long ago as that, when I was last mucking about on the river, but it really is. Speed limits were only ever of theoretical concern to me, anyway, as I never had a boat that could break any of them. Even the 48' one topped out at 7.5 knts.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10323 on: May 04, 2018, 09:32:39 pm »
We used to have a perfectly good fleet of Harriers, Jaguars, Tornadoes and some nice new shiny Nimrods...
<politics deleted>

The Nimrods were never nice nor new nor shiny.

When first built in the 1970s, some bright spark decided to base them on the far too small 1950s Comet airframe. It was all downhill after that.
In 2011 there was a fleet of new Nimrods that were dismantled and destroyed before they had even flown, as part of the fore mentioned cuts this BBC clip relates to that tremendous waste of money.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12294766
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10324 on: May 04, 2018, 09:35:17 pm »
I was sure it never used to be. Clarkson did it in a Sunseeker Predator many moons ago... he probably had special dispensation, though  :)

Just had a look, 2008 was when they changed the speed regs on the Thames. I wouldn't have guessed it was as long ago as that, when I was last mucking about on the river, but it really is. Speed limits were only ever of theoretical concern to me, anyway, as I never had a boat that could break any of them. Even the 48' one topped out at 7.5 knts.
Yep Clarkeson would have had special permission as he does on everything else even getting roads closed for Top Gear.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf