Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406919 times)

wkb, Peter_O and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10350 on: May 05, 2018, 05:28:47 pm »
Our ebay fraudster is back again, this time using the account ahimsaann. Same items listed as last week.
If we can spot things like this, why cant Ebay?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10351 on: May 05, 2018, 05:30:27 pm »
Our ebay fraudster is back again, this time using the account ahimsaann. Same items listed as last week.

If a fool met the fraudster, purchased & paid it, and never complain, why should Ebay care ?  >:D

Are not we seen enough the fools quantity at crowdfunding scams ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 05:35:59 pm by BravoV »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10352 on: May 05, 2018, 05:47:46 pm »
You had that problem with the MOSFETs earlier didn't you?

Yeah. Gate capacitance of these is a little too high so need to drive them harder. 

They aren’t looking. Also it’s pretty hard spotting genuine eBay auctions.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #10353 on: May 05, 2018, 06:26:22 pm »

They aren’t looking. Also it’s pretty hard spotting genuine eBay auctions.

I admit, I was tricked by an ebay scam auction for a used Silgent SDS1102X.  :-[  I shouldn't say tricked, as I was about 75% confident that it was a scam auction, and I knew that it was covered by eBay Buyer Protection.  So I went for it in the slim chance it was just a seller who needed crack money or didn't know what they were selling, given that they had the probes connected to the pass/fail/trigger BNCs  :-DD.

The seller account was longstanding, legitimate, had perfect feedback, and had just listed about half a dozen items with pictures that seemed consistent.  eBay would have had no way of knowing until another buyer complained.  At that point, eBay immediately cancelled all the auctions and closed the sellers account.

I've always had a good experience in the few times I've had to open a dispute and user Buyer Protection to get my money back.   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10354 on: May 05, 2018, 06:31:22 pm »
I think I’ve had the best deal from idiots listing. I bought a ton of stuff a few years back from someone who was listing lots of things as “ham radio” buy it now buyer collects £10 each about 15 miles from me. Made about £600 just reposting it properly. Wasn’t even ham radios but test gear.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10355 on: May 05, 2018, 06:33:50 pm »

It isn't easy, they don't want to dissuade genuine - but strange - sellers, and it is cheaper to rectify things after they've gone wrong.

It is simply factored into their "cost of doing business", cf credit card fraud.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10356 on: May 05, 2018, 06:44:23 pm »
Maybe if the seller was asked to take a picture of the item with a piece of paper on it with the date of the sale and the price before paying. A genuine seller shouldn't have a problem with that and it would be very hard to fake without them actually owning the item they're pretending to sell.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10357 on: May 05, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »
Maybe if the seller was asked to take a picture of the item with a piece of paper on it with the date of the sale and the price before paying. A genuine seller shouldn't have a problem with that and it would be very hard to fake without them actually owning the item they're pretending to sell.
It's easy to photoshop a text on a piece of paper. It's more complicated for the seller, but not a perfect way of verifying the seller.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #10358 on: May 05, 2018, 07:06:07 pm »
In my experience, the seller's legitimate account was hacked, and the hacker never responded to any emails/messages from buyers.  My guess is that they wouldn't respond to minimize any possibility of them being tracked. 

They price things low enough that people will immediately buy and pay via paypal.  The clock on ebay getting involved starts after the end of the estimated shipping period, which could be days to a week.  At that point, the hacker is long gone with the funds and eBay has to pay the bill.

With a hacked seller's account, there is no way ebay is going to know about it until it's too late. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10359 on: May 05, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »
Better idea: you must use two factor authentication or no selling.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10360 on: May 05, 2018, 07:17:02 pm »
What is TV waveform monitor guys ? Its Tektronix 528A, got an offer and really dirt cheap.  :palm:

Obsolete for today use now ? Or any other practical example ? No, not the CRT tv stuff pls.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10361 on: May 05, 2018, 07:29:26 pm »
It's like a scope, but specifically designed for use with video signals. General info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waveform_monitor
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10362 on: May 05, 2018, 07:33:01 pm »
I see, a really slow and limited feature analog scope ? Is that it?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10363 on: May 05, 2018, 08:35:50 pm »
Yes, task-specific analog scope. I've never used one, so not sure what uses it might have in this day and age, but it sounds pretty limited for general-purpose uses.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10364 on: May 05, 2018, 08:39:59 pm »
Slightly OT, is anyone else going to visit the Shuttleworth airshow tomorrow? If this sort of jogs you into thinking about going there tomorrow on the off chance, forget it, all tickets were sold out Friday, no ticket, no admittance.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10365 on: May 05, 2018, 09:24:19 pm »
Nope. I'm going to lurk at home and make some contacts on HF.

Not sure if this is "test gear" but I've just been playing with a Chinese PICkit3 clone. My genuine Microchip one died, as they do periodically, about 9 months ago. Works perfectly. Am impressed  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10366 on: May 05, 2018, 09:32:29 pm »
I think you could call it test gear, you might be using a PIC in some gear and programming or reading it whatever.

Yes the Chinese have the power to both please and piss you off in equal measures.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10367 on: May 05, 2018, 10:10:56 pm »
Yes they do indeed. The reason I'm programming this PIC is that the LCR meter I bought from China was shit so I'm building one of these:

https://sites.google.com/site/vk3bhr/home/index2-html

Drawing out the PCB now (by hand like it's 1970).

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10368 on: May 05, 2018, 10:33:32 pm »
Well there you go then, what do you know it was test gear after all  :-DD

That looks good, what LCR meter did you get from China then, I've never had a shit one yet, although that being said, I've done anything with inductors and certainly have no known value ones to run a check against, but capacitance and resistance wise they do seem to be pretty much there.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10369 on: May 05, 2018, 10:42:36 pm »
It's an STM one. I have widlarized it. Fucking pile of shit. It was reading 83pF and drifting around all over the place (+/-20pF) on a known good 1% 100pF silver mica cap.

With this design, I have the firmware source code so I can go and fix anything up with it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10370 on: May 05, 2018, 11:11:30 pm »
If you think that’s shocking, the poor NHS disposed of about 2000 PCs last year which didn’t even leave the suppliers. Basically just handed over the money for them. Then the suppliers charged them storage and disposal.

Going to ML&S today. That’s dangerous. Got my eye on one of these:

https://youtu.be/EWfgtKapVDU

Have you seen the MR300? Is it in any way comparable?

I stumbled across it years ago on slAmazon while searching for a 6GHz capable RF Explorer (or similar device) to test my FPV Video TX gear with; it cost $99 then. Now they have a version with BT serial for $115.

I see Bang-me-good has the base model for $62 now...

mnem
*Sorting tools*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10371 on: May 05, 2018, 11:17:16 pm »
I haven't seen that yet actually. Will read up on it tomorrow. Going to bed now. Thanks for the suggestion. Not overly happy about buying MFJ if I'm honest.

Sleep: the thing that gets between bouts of TEA :(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10372 on: May 05, 2018, 11:25:45 pm »
I don't think he's auditioning, he is it.

BD139 has gradually turned into the TEA soap opera what with the Mrs' haircuts, the lego, the GPS and sticky faceprints on the window, decimated credit cards, exploding domestic appliances and the never-ending suspense of when will the oven get fixed:popcorn:

Okay... but how do we blame Penis Fingers for the Legos?  :-DD

Speaking from experience, I know that li'l mnem IS responsible for my own Lego misery... without him, no little boy; no little boy, no 10000 Legos (NOT an exaggeration... a conservative estimate from the last 7 years purchases) scattered from hell to breakfast about the house. But there's at best an etymological relationship between the two.  :o

mnem
I survived the Saturday afternoon trip to Wholesale Club Hell without eating any of my family in self-defense; don't expect another damn thing of me until after I've had a decent night's sleep.  };=)~~~~<
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10373 on: May 05, 2018, 11:28:53 pm »
If you think that’s shocking, the poor NHS disposed of about 2000 PCs last year which didn’t even leave the suppliers. Basically just handed over the money for them. Then the suppliers charged them storage and disposal.

Going to ML&S today. That’s dangerous. Got my eye on one of these:

https://youtu.be/EWfgtKapVDU
Why do I get the feeling that when a company or individual does that the tax man will look for the loophole or scam until it is found?

Do you have a source for that story? All I can find are about regular NHS IT failures and wastes of money.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10374 on: May 05, 2018, 11:29:29 pm »
My ex (a biochemist) used to say that cooking was "just bucket chemistry" - she's right.

Literally yesterday I was making some tomato sauce using tinned tomatoes. The level of "acidity regulator E330" that had been added to the tomatoes was way off, the sauce was sour as all hell. Another reach into the store cupboard, a quarter teaspoon of Na HCO3, and a few minutes and all was well again — the sauce now tasted like it ought to. A little knowledge of everyday chemistry goes a long way in the kitchen.

And if you don't like the results, you can always brush your teeth with it.  :-DD

mnem
I'm all out of "Pithy".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf