Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555420 times)

djadeski, Vince, duckduck and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10750 on: May 16, 2018, 08:17:56 pm »

mnem
*Out standing in his field*

What, you have a field as WELL  :o
It's not uncommon.  :P
Its pretty easy to see that you're not a townie  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10751 on: May 16, 2018, 08:45:16 pm »
On the subject of Philips, I think we should roll back technology to 1960-1980. Far more interesting and I could have landed a job there instead and done some analogue stuff rather than ending up in software.

On a side note, I've been playing with a re-thinking of the Tektronix 130 LC meter with some slightly more modern parts? Why, for the hell of it! Plus I'm getting bored of sitting in front of Kicad. I'm much more happy with a pencil, some paper, a calculator and a soldering iron in hand.

The 130 is a neat little tube based device which uses a pair of oscillators running at around 140KHz. You null the fixture by zero beating them with a variable capacitor. These drive two inputs on a mixer, an LPF and then a schmitt trigger and then a pulse integrator. This ultimately gives a very linear reading of the difference frequency between the oscillators.  You connect the DUT, a low value L or C to one of them and the second oscillator slows down. The difference is recorded as a voltage and deflects a panel meter.
Theres a rather nice (but large) HP LCR meter in the Philips auction, in fact the same type as in that rifa video of Simon's that you posted earlier.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:57:31 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10752 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:26 pm »
Yeah that’s the one I was researching when I found Simon’s video :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10753 on: May 16, 2018, 09:20:00 pm »

mnem
*Out standing in his field*

What, you have a field as WELL  :o

That's what the tax bill sez. Now if it just wasn't full of all these pesky Christmas Trees somebody planted 30 years ago...

mnem
Also, bears.
They'd be ready for timber harvest here @30, how old do they need to be there ?

Not sure they'll ever be big enough; they're actual Christmas trees. Pines and firs intended to be planted whole as landscaping. I suspect they may be some midget variety, as they seemed to spring up to 6-10 feet in no time, then lingered thereabouts for years.

mnem
*Back out into the suck*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10754 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:19 pm »
I'll just leave this here.

Today's XKCD:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, GerryBags

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10755 on: May 16, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »
That pretty well sums it up for any of us, although the timescale will vary  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10756 on: May 16, 2018, 11:25:02 pm »

~ Warning: NSFW! ~

Yes... that chart must be some collateral function of the Problem Solving Flowsheet I've kept pinned up inside my tool cabinet in every shop I've ever worked in.  :-+

mnem
I fu**ed with it.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10757 on: May 16, 2018, 11:34:20 pm »
Yep, seen that one before and in many guises as well  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10758 on: May 16, 2018, 11:53:37 pm »

Oh yeah... it's probably as old as blinkenlighten. My other favorite version is the Management Problem Solving Flowchart; not so much because it's funny, but because literal, direct application at work as insight into the source of all the "shit that rolls downhill" has saved my ass more than a few times.

mnem
When the fertilizer hits the industrial air circulator, it is best to be working offsite.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10759 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:47 am »
Woot. Might go for that 33120A. No low level out means cocked attenuator relay which is easy to fix.

I was looking at that one and its brother, but figured no way in 'ell either'll go cheap enough I can afford the freight.

*Sigh*

mnem
POIT!

Not sure they'd ship anyway. Haven't dealt with an auction house I'd trust with shipping yet anyway.

What would have been nice is it finishing the weekend before which is the Strawberry Fair in Cambridge. I haven't been to it for a number of years but it was a right laugh back in the early 90s. To quote wikipedia:

"It has been held every year since 1974 except 2010, when it was cancelled due to 'continuing hostility' from drunken attendees and unbridled drug use. After a year's hiatus, the fair continued in a new form, with a perimeter fence erected around the festival and searches to check for excess alcohol, drugs and weapons."

Excess drugs, alcohol and weapons were the only reasons to go dammit!  >:(

Edit: Just had major flashback. I'm not going. Bad idea  :o

Oh, wow man... We have a similar thing here in Poteet, TX; the Poteet Strawberry Festival every April. And EXACTLY the same hazards! One of the many reasons I'm looking to get the flurp outta Texas!

Crazy that we have the same small town right around the corner here on the other side of the pond!

mnem
And not the fun kind of crazy, I promise you.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10760 on: May 17, 2018, 01:05:28 am »

Philips has a long association with Cambridge. In the late 1960s, the Dutch firm took over the world-famous Pye group of companies in the city, pioneers of TV and radio sets.

In 1986 Pye Telecom, the radio communications division, was renamed Philips Radio Communications Systems and grew into a £200 million turnover international group of companies.

W G Pye, founded in Victorian times, became Philips Scientific in 1988.

Two Cambridgeshire-based descendants of Pye, Sepura PLC and Team Simoco Group, are still leading companies in radio communications.

[/quote]

Wasn't Pye a Test and Measurement manufacturer in it's own right? I vaguely remember trying to fix a HV voltmeter with light spot indicator. But I'm not totally sure about the name.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10761 on: May 17, 2018, 01:18:31 am »
Woot. Might go for that 33120A. No low level out means cocked attenuator relay which is easy to fix.

I was looking at that one and its brother, but figured no way in 'ell either'll go cheap enough I can afford the freight.

Not sure they'd ship anyway. Haven't dealt with an auction house I'd trust with shipping yet anyway.

Yeah, most auction houses in the US that I've seen don't ship. They'll have a list of couriers that you can hire or you can send your own service/schlepper out to pick up. So far, I've only bought from local auctions. Much simpler and I know it'll make it home safely. If it doesn't, then I guess I'll need a more crafty flowchart. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10762 on: May 17, 2018, 03:59:33 am »

Philips has a long association with Cambridge. In the late 1960s, the Dutch firm took over the world-famous Pye group of companies in the city, pioneers of TV and radio sets.

In 1986 Pye Telecom, the radio communications division, was renamed Philips Radio Communications Systems and grew into a £200 million turnover international group of companies.

Two Cambridgeshire-based descendants of Pye, Sepura PLC and Team Simoco Group, are still leading companies in radio communications.

Wasn't Pye a Test and Measurement manufacturer in it's own right? I vaguely remember trying to fix a HV voltmeter with light spot indicator. But I'm not totally sure about the name.

My guess would be that was produced by Pye Telecommunications in the 40s and later; evidently they enjoyed some significant popularity as mobile radio providers for police and military during and after the war. They even made some of the early RADAR receivers used in wartime according to the wiki.

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:02:38 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10763 on: May 17, 2018, 06:45:45 am »

My guess would be that was produced by Pye Telecommunications in the 40s and later; evidently they enjoyed some significant popularity as mobile radio providers for police and military during and after the war. They even made some of the early RADAR receivers used in wartime according to the wiki.

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*
Yes that's exactly what Pye used to do besides a few domestic radios and TVs. I lived in Haverhill for a time many years ago and they had a factory there solely making the Police radios. My ex worked there till they closed it down and I believe they relocated to Cambridge.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10764 on: May 17, 2018, 07:45:14 am »
This morning I got a SMS message informing me that Royal Mail will be delivering a parcel to me today from 4PX, does anyone know what 4PX is?

The only 2 items I'm waiting for is a package from China and its way too early for that, and the other is my meter from RS but their website has been updated and unless they've changed name, it won't be from them either?? :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10765 on: May 17, 2018, 08:02:06 am »
4px is China. They’re a reshipper.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10766 on: May 17, 2018, 08:09:20 am »
Well if its what I ordered a few days ago, they've outdone themselves on this then  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10767 on: May 17, 2018, 08:10:09 am »
Better than Farnell. Got a US sourced order turning up. Two weeks so far!  >:(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10768 on: May 17, 2018, 08:12:54 am »
Humph, Farnell sound like my saga with RS then.

I see Mystic Meg has a Tek 7603 listed today, any good?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10769 on: May 17, 2018, 08:25:25 am »
Nope STC buggerized one. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. They are basically hacked up so you can't swap the plugins out easily.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10770 on: May 17, 2018, 01:19:24 pm »
Decisions, decisions...which one do I use??  :-// The new 2465 now occupies the spot above the 2465 DMS previously occupied by a B&K 2120. The 2120 has been a loyal servant since I purchased it new in 1991. Gonna put it in "storage" but kept fully functional.

I mentioned before that it appeared that the sweep cal on the new 2465 was off. It isn't. It's right on. The problem is the detent on the var sweep pot is a little flaky and needs a cleaning. Next time I open it up I'll take care of this minor issue. Other than that I haven't found any other issues and I've put perhaps 10 to 15 hours on it.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10771 on: May 17, 2018, 01:24:37 pm »
Attempts to reproduce the functionality of the Tektronix 130 going well. the original unit:

Reference oscillator and mixer working. This allows me to do frequency comparison of the reference oscillator and a signal generator.

Simple bit of kit really, especially now it is devoid of tubes. Left to right: colpitts oscillator ~140KHz, buffer, attenuator, mixer (diff amp). Yes I know it's on a breadboard - will deal with the problems associated with that later on :)

Output near zero beat. Notice the low frequency component which is close to 100Hz despite both inputs being around 140KHz

Next stop: LPF the output to get the LF component out, amplify and clip, integrate.

Why buy a Tek when you can build your own! :D

Decisions, decisions...which one do I use??  :-// The new 2465 now occupies the spot above the 2465 DMS previously occupied by a B&K 2120. The 2120 has been a loyal servant since I purchased it new in 1991. Gonna put it in "storage" but kept fully functional.

I mentioned before that it appeared that the sweep cal on the new 2465 was off. It isn't. It's right on. The problem is the detent on the var sweep pot is a little flaky and needs a cleaning. Next time I open it up I'll take care of this minor issue. Other than that I haven't found any other issues and I've put perhaps 10 to 15 hours on it.

Moment you put the B&K away the tek will blow up :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:26:41 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10772 on: May 17, 2018, 02:43:17 pm »

A bee-yoo-tee-full soyt t' see! Jesst war-r-rms th' cockles of me 'eart, it duzz!! (Whatever-r-r th' 'ell they ar-r-re!)

mnem
And so my army grows!  Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10773 on: May 17, 2018, 03:01:21 pm »
Attempts to reproduce the functionality of the Tektronix 130 going well. the original unit:

Reference oscillator and mixer working. This allows me to do frequency comparison of the reference oscillator and a signal generator.

Simple bit of kit really, especially now it is devoid of tubes. Left to right: colpitts oscillator ~140KHz, buffer, attenuator, mixer (diff amp). Yes I know it's on a breadboard - will deal with the problems associated with that later on :)

Output near zero beat. Notice the low frequency component which is close to 100Hz despite both inputs being around 140KHz

Next stop: LPF the output to get the LF component out, amplify and clip, integrate.

Why buy a Tek when you can build your own! :D

Looking really good, just don't blow it up  :-DD

Other news, still no sign of RS returning the meter, have emailed them now and asking WTF is going on, 5 day door to door service Yah, pull the other one, even factoring in the May bank holiday doesn't extend the time to 10/11 days  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10774 on: May 17, 2018, 03:16:12 pm »
Ask for your money back when you get the meter back.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf