Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553813 times)

Vince, SingleBitError and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11025 on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:20 pm »
Oh for corn's sake... IT WAS A FLUPPING JOKE!!!  :palm: Way to suck all the fun outta the room, man...

mnem

Careful now, bd139's mom will hunt you down for joking about the scopes she assembled.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11026 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:18 pm »
My mother made plenty of jokes about the quality of the stuff she assembled. Including persuading her colleague that she had put all the resistors in the wrong way round in a board.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11027 on: May 21, 2018, 10:17:38 pm »

Oh for corn's sake... IT WAS A FLUPPING JOKE!!!  :palm: Way to suck all the fun outta the room, man...

mnem

Careful now, bd139's mom will hunt you down for joking about the scopes she assembled.  :P

My mother made plenty of jokes about the quality of the stuff she assembled. Including persuading her colleague that she had put all the resistors in the wrong way round in a board.

If she did, it would be to thank me for adding one to her jokebook.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:19:32 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11028 on: May 21, 2018, 10:18:41 pm »
Damn SWMBO must have diodes for fingers  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #11029 on: May 21, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »

Yep that would have been bad but as we know they can be very dangerous if ohmage is large too!

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11030 on: May 21, 2018, 10:23:59 pm »

Yep that would have been bad but as we know they can be very dangerous if ohmage is large too!
The biggest danger in them was the stress the 2750V EHT placed on the many M \$\Omega\$ resistors of that era and they drifted like crazy.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11031 on: May 21, 2018, 10:30:36 pm »
I think all SWMBO's do, its always us poor men who end doing the appolgising, even when we are right which is always of course  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11032 on: May 21, 2018, 10:37:49 pm »

Better than having... (do I really even need to say it?!?)  :-DD

mnem
Dude... ya gotta stop setting me up like this...  :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11033 on: May 21, 2018, 11:00:36 pm »
ok......will apologize up front because this is in no way tea related.

just wanted to show you a pic of one brave little bird. 

spotted 4 eggs in the next door neighbors yard and went over to establish a safety zone so her lawn guy won't drive over 'em.   

when the "follow me i have a fake broken wing" thing didn't work she made multiple charges to within inches of my arm while i hammered in the stakes.

killdeer are not the smartest bird......but damn.....they have grit.

free range primate

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11034 on: May 21, 2018, 11:02:19 pm »
I think all SWMBO's do, its always us poor men who end doing the appolgising, even when we are right which is always of course  :-DD

I'm guessing yours can't see your screen right now.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11035 on: May 22, 2018, 12:38:30 am »
TEA related....looks like the earliest I'll get time to pull the vertical board out of the 465 will be sometime this weekend. I'll post pix of what I find. Also going to order a complete set of replacement caps for the PSU in the 2465. Just to have them on hand for when I decide to dive in and replace them.

Sort of TEA related. It seems that a high degree of test equipment addicts appear to be grumpy old men...I.E.....post war baby boomers or there abouts. I wonder if it's an affliction of our age or our upbringing? Dunno know the answer to that and not really interested but I am very curious as to what you all look like. It would be nice to place a face with a screen name. After all, I think us addicts should stand up and be noticed as well....strange.  :-DD

So I'll put my money where my mouth is and post up. Pix 1 is how I look 98% of the time. Jeans, t-shirt, work boots. Home, work, out and about. Comfort and simplicity. Fashion trends be damned I don't care. Pix 2 is fancy restaurant with my lovely lady. Yep, I compromised. Button down shirt, slacks, and shoes. I'm not a complete redneck and I do have a little bit of sense. Besides...she happy with how I look....I happy. Pix 3 is proof positive that you can polish a turd. My niece's wedding last June. The boss...in the foreground...insisted that I buy a new suit. I obeyed. Damn tie choking me the entire time. As soon as we got to the reception the tie came off.

So...post'em up. If I did, you can.     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11036 on: May 22, 2018, 12:51:27 am »
Yours truly (feeling naked without baseball cap) with first grandy, a couple of years back.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11037 on: May 22, 2018, 01:13:08 am »

I'm guessing yours can't see your screen right now.
You are correct, I'm safe in that sense as electronics and electricity in general are of zero interest to her, its like black magic so she leaves me well alone. Also of course she's downstairs cake making or cake decorating or she's knitting and I'm upstairs in the spare bedroom so there's noway she could see my screen  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11038 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:40 am »
here is a pic of another grumpy old man.

would not like this to get around.

kind of embarrassing to be caught fondling a non nixie unit.
free range primate

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #11039 on: May 22, 2018, 02:25:42 am »
That there box behind your head looks to be the sort in which seven segment displays made from sand reside, too...  Just sayin'.   ;)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11040 on: May 22, 2018, 03:21:50 am »
I think a lot of the grumpy old man thing has to do with the difference in what our parents passed on to us. Ours are the last generation where basic mechanical and daily skills were passed on from parent to child; simple things like being able to swing a hammer, use a handsaw, or swing an axe without hurting yourself, or even how to trim your fingernails or sharpen a pencil with a pen-knife.

Mine was the last generation where they still taught Auto Mechanics, Wood Shop and Metal/Machine Shop in High School. And mine was the last generation where we didn't consider it normal to be bludgeoned with advertising every third minute of every day from TV, Radio, Signage and even the machines we used for our work.

This generation, and the one before it, were essentially raised by television; not out of neglect, but because our generation got the short end of deregulation and union-busting. Where it was once considered normal for an average working man's full-time income to pay for a modest home (that he owned, not rented) food for the family and a car to get to work, now it takes two "professional" incomes to provide that. Great, we somehow manage, but who's raising the kids? TV of course; at least for a few hours a day to cook a meal, get the dishes done and pay the bills the only choice for most of us is to let them glue their eyeballs to the tube.

And this current generation is growing up thinking it's perfectly normal to carry a TV around in your pocket that actually watches you and calls its maker with details of your whereabouts, what you watch on its screen and custom-tailors advertising to that history; they even vibrate and ring to "Alert" you of that advertising! And they actually treat it as if it were important!

Is it any wonder most of them are essentially useless? Unable to change a light bulb on their car, fix a door hinge or even check their own gawddamn oil. But it's not like they don't have plenty to worry about; if they want to have a chance at a decent life, they START by staring down $30-50K in debt at the age of 17 JUST to get the education WE TOOK FOR GRANTED IN HIGH SCHOOL.

So yeah; I'm a grumpy young fart. I'll be a grumpy old fart soon enough, unless I am successful in getting my family away from the crazy that's closing in on us.

But in the meantime, I'm raising the most beautiful kids in the world; I just hope I don't let them down.

Cheers,

mnem
Wherever you go... there you are.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11041 on: May 22, 2018, 03:38:02 am »
I'm sure there was a more flatting pic of you a few pages back.  :P

The next generation is exactly what we make them and with pride I've watched my middle son take on a family of 3 boys and then produce a step sister for them.(pic a few posts back) How that lad has influenced those kids is amazing given he's just turned 30. He's a country boy like you mnementh but living in suburbia and drags the whole family bush whenever he can to show them the 'other side'. Sadly he resides with them all in WA now but has learnt about the things that bite and sting over there.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11042 on: May 22, 2018, 06:20:28 am »
Not sure this forum is ready for my mug shot  :o

Maybe not up to the standards (or presence) of the Cambridge Decade Box but works a treat and is well inside .1% across the range. Labels needed now.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11043 on: May 22, 2018, 06:46:16 am »
Not sure this forum is ready for my mug shot  :o

Maybe not up to the standards (or presence) of the Cambridge Decade Box but works a treat and is well inside .1% across the range. Labels needed now.
Oh yes, that looks really good but 3 decades only, have you designed it to work in conjunction with your other one so it in effect becomes 6 decades?

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11044 on: May 22, 2018, 06:54:41 am »
That wouldn’t be enough decades for me. I’ve got a nice bourns ten turn pot. That does the job until I smoke it ;)

Just got some depressing news. The AC voltmeter I purchased the other day has been dispatched. Via Hermes  :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11045 on: May 22, 2018, 07:06:09 am »
That wouldn’t be enough decades for me. I’ve got a nice bourns ten turn pot. That does the job until I smoke it ;)

Just got some depressing news. The AC voltmeter I purchased the other day has been dispatched. Via Hermes  :scared:
Good luck with the meter and hope it is OK. Although I have to say that just recently Hermes does seem to have improved a lot. I have had a few things delivered by them and everything was fine.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11046 on: May 22, 2018, 07:17:38 am »
Oh yes, that looks really good but 3 decades only, have you designed it to work in conjunction with your other one so it in effect becomes 6 decades?

The Cambridge is actually 4 decades 0.1, 1 , 10 and 100. My DIY is 1k, 10k and 100k so yep a set of sorts. I also have  a .02% Russian 8 decade Box to play with whose top range is a10k one.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11047 on: May 22, 2018, 07:30:14 am »

The Cambridge is actually 4 decades 0.1, 1 , 10 and 100. My DIY is 1k, 10k and 100k so yep a set of sorts. I also have  a .02% Russian 8 decade Box to play with whose top range is a10k one.
Oh I see, you clearly want to use more than 1 at a time, I'd have extended the Cambridge upwards so they could be connected in series.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11048 on: May 22, 2018, 08:51:39 am »
I view the Russian one as Volt Nuttery grade while these two are for bench use and abuse.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11049 on: May 22, 2018, 09:04:48 am »
I do as well, although that said I do have 2 radio controlled watches that are accurate to the Atomic standards almost as it checks the time each day against the Atomic clock and corrects itself, so does that make me a time nut? It was a just a feature build into the watch that I liked. :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf