Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561398 times)

chronos42, 6h8c and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11100 on: May 23, 2018, 11:25:12 am »
Decided to put the B&K 2120 scope to use rather than put it in storage. I connected it into the audio system reminiscent of those fancy audio scopes sold back in the 1970's. Yea, it's campy and doesn't really serve much function other than to impress the unwashed masses with dancing green lines. They can enjoy display of discrete left and right channels (Pix 1) or the X/Y "fuzzball" display (Pix 2). Pix 3 is an overall view of the entire system.

Yep, I'm odd.  :-DD :-//

compare a cheap DSO in this application and you will immediately grasp why the waveform update rate matters...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11101 on: May 23, 2018, 12:45:19 pm »
Meter is back, arrived in a beautiful padded box that would take almost any sized meter as the foam padding was stuck to the walls and floor of the box was nicely dimpled and shaped so that you could wedge a meter into it and it would be protected, almost like being a baby inside a womb  :-+ Did I just write that  :palm:

Well I thought that maybe the short on the power to the cmos ram might have taken out the diode when the short occurred, nope thats all fine and so I checked the supplies, horror  :scared: it looked like the analogue side was not getting  its power, digital side was perfect  :-//. Then it dawned on me that it might have its own ground, isolated from the digital and bingo, it has and all voltages are correct  :phew:.

So the question is, did they know how to calibrate this after all? So now I'm going to try and see what I can do with it, more later if penis fingers can keep away this time  :-DD

EDIT:
Just noticed that cal selector switch is not in the correct position, could it be...surely not,,,surely they must of noticed it??? :-//

EDIT:
On switching on it displays "UNCALIBRATED" but connecting it upto my AD584-M it reads DC voltages to correctly as per post #11003 so thats strange.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:23:33 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11102 on: May 23, 2018, 01:09:03 pm »
analogue is floating on that.

This is the conclusion I have:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11103 on: May 23, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »
Decided to put the B&K 2120 scope to use rather than put it in storage. I connected it into the audio system reminiscent of those fancy audio scopes sold back in the 1970's. Yea, it's campy and doesn't really serve much function other than to impress the unwashed masses with dancing green lines. They can enjoy display of discrete left and right channels (Pix 1) or the X/Y "fuzzball" display (Pix 2). Pix 3 is an overall view of the entire system.

compare a cheap DSO in this application and you will immediately grasp why the waveform update rate matters...

I'll be sure to explain that fact to them while they are watching the dancing display and then be totally convinced that I need to be committed.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11104 on: May 23, 2018, 01:12:39 pm »
Meter is back, arrived in a beautiful padded box that would take almost any sized meter as the foam padding was stuck to the walls and floor of the box was nicely dimpled and shaped so that you could wedge a meter into it and it would be protected, almost like being a baby inside a womb  :-+ Did I just write that  :palm:

Well I thought that maybe the short on the power to the cmos ram might have taken out the diode when the short occurred, nope thats all fine and so I checked the supplies, horror  :scared: it looked like the analogue side was not getting  its power, digital side was perfect  :-//. Then it dawned on me that it might have its own ground, isolated from the digital and bingo, it has and all voltages are correct  :phew:.

So the question is, did they know how to calibrate this after all? So now I'm going to try and see what I can do with it, more later if penis fingers can keep away this time  :-DD

EDIT:
Just noticed that cal selector switch is not in the correct position, could it be...surely not,,,surely they must of noticed it??? :-//

The plot thickens......
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11105 on: May 23, 2018, 01:23:18 pm »

I had almost the same exact relationship with the old Hitachi V-212 I fixed a couple months ago; I no longer needed it for a work beater, and it was so damned, insufferably valiant after all the abuse I put it through that I just didn't have the heart to get rid of it.

So it sat on the corner of my bench permanently connected to a simple curve tracer where it got used a few times a month. But it WAS nice to have it just sitting there ready to use; I found I used it a lot more than if I had to drag out my curve tracer and hook it up/set up the scope/etc. For a while I toyed with the idea of building the tracer inside of it; there's a LOT of empty space inside the V-212.

I suppose it could still happen.  :-DD

mnem
*Currently doing a nuke/pave on the brakes on my wife's old Saturn*
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:39:31 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11106 on: May 23, 2018, 01:39:07 pm »

EDIT:

The plot thickens......
Yes, it does, the meter is reading DC fine, connected it up to my MS7221 and set it to .1mV and the 3478A displays 00.0001V spot on. Set it to DCA, set MS7221 to 0.010mA and 3478A comes right back with 0.00001A, again spot on

On my AD584-M I get the following results

2.5V 5V
7.5V 10V
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:45:45 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11107 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43:26 pm »
Bet you a dollar after your conversation re: the Fluke calibration software, they found that they HAD the right software modules, and after a little digging, ALSO had the correct cabling to do the cal via the GPIB. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't need to move the switch to do it that way either. Probably all the techs who actually knew how to use the software had already retired or moved on to better-paying jobs.

mnem
*Back out into the suck*
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:45:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11108 on: May 23, 2018, 01:46:25 pm »
Says in the manual it won't talk cal data to HP-IB if the cal switch wasn't turned.

I bet they employ fucktards.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11109 on: May 23, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
Says in the manual it won't talk cal data to HP-IB if the cal switch wasn't turned.

Well it certainly seems to be perfectly calibrated so far, just going to check resistances and ACV and ACA. Strange that the display still flashes uncalibrated when switching on? Did I mention it was FOC?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11110 on: May 23, 2018, 02:06:22 pm »
If it still says uncalibrated then they didn't store zero or calibrate one of the ranges. You will have to turn the cal switch and step through each range and find out which one it is. The CAL annunicator will flash on that range when you hit it. Run through them in the order of the manual, just don't hit SGL/TRIG when you're doing it :)

Worth shorting the input and checking zero is ok as well.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11111 on: May 23, 2018, 02:19:34 pm »
If it still says uncalibrated then they didn't store zero or calibrate one of the ranges. You will have to turn the cal switch and step through each range and find out which one it is. The CAL annunicator will flash on that range when you hit it. Run through them in the order of the manual, just don't hit SGL/TRIG when you're doing it :)

Worth shorting the input and checking zero is ok as well.
I was just checking the ACV and I noticed that the CAL annunicator was flashing and sure enough the mains was reading approx 5V lower than other meters were reading and the CAL flashes also on the ACA and the 2W resistor setting as well.

So how did you calibrate the AC ranges? I don't have anything I think that is stable enough unless the 240V mains is good enough?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11112 on: May 23, 2018, 02:30:07 pm »
I used a function generator and another meter as a reference. You only need to cal on the 3v range. I think you’re just calibrating the AC converter and the rest is based on the DC cal.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11113 on: May 23, 2018, 02:32:16 pm »
I used a function generator and another meter as a reference. You only need to cal on the 3v range. I think you’re just calibrating the AC converter and the rest is based on the DC cal.
Excellent, so that should be OK, and the ACA?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11114 on: May 23, 2018, 02:34:04 pm »
I don’t think that needs cal once the AC converter is done.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11115 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:18 pm »
So it would indeed seem that they must have had some success then but clearly did not fully understand how to do certain parts of it then, so once I've sorted out the AC, the 2w ohmage and checked the zero, I have gotten myself a fully calibrated 3478A, and the fee that I'm not now paying RS, will almost cover the cost and postage of the MS7221 calibrator as well.  :-+

Winner winner, chicken dinner  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11116 on: May 23, 2018, 02:40:38 pm »
Fingers crossed yep :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11117 on: May 23, 2018, 02:55:06 pm »
So it would indeed seem that they must have had some success then but clearly did not fully understand how to do certain parts of it then, so once I've sorted out the AC, the 2w ohmage and checked the zero, I have gotten myself a fully calibrated 3478A, and the fee that I'm not now paying RS, will almost cover the cost and postage of the MS7221 calibrator as well.  :-+

Except you didn't a valid Cal cert, and you were hoping to use this meter to validate the accuracy of your MS7221...

mnem
Fu**... we've just gone recursive again.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11118 on: May 23, 2018, 02:55:11 pm »
Something strangely hypnotic about incrementing the MS7221 in steps of 0.01mA and seeing the meter follow suite  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11119 on: May 23, 2018, 03:06:01 pm »

Except you didn't a valid Cal cert, and you were hoping to use this meter to validate the accuracy of your MS7221...

mnem
Fu**... we've just gone recursive again.
Trust you to spot the flaw in my logic  :palm: Its going to be more then accurate enough for me when those reading are also supported by, let me see now, about 14 or 15 other meters and it would be an absolute fluke if there all of their game and were all wildly out of calibration  :-DD

Surprising thing that the MS7221 seems to be at full whack of by about 4mV so I think I can live with that knowledge so currently there's no truth in the rumor that I'm just to top myself but I might have a celebratory cup of tea and a biscuit, shouldn't do, I'm big enough already but I feel like celebrating to sod it thats what I'm going to do  :-DD   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:10:31 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11120 on: May 23, 2018, 03:08:22 pm »
I have gotten myself a fully calibrated 3478A, and the fee that I'm not now paying RS, will almost cover the cost and postage of the MS7221 calibrator as well.  :-

How much did they ask to calibrate a DVM like the 3478a ?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11121 on: May 23, 2018, 03:21:30 pm »
I have gotten myself a fully calibrated 3478A, and the fee that I'm not now paying RS, will almost cover the cost and postage of the MS7221 calibrator as well.  :-

How much did they ask to calibrate a DVM like the 3478a ?
Well according to their price list they offer 2 types, one for your country only and an international one

Type of meter    Own Country      International
Hand Held           £42                   £64
Bench                 £64                   £83

But somehow I was quoted £50.40 so I guess they reduced it because by modern meter standards it has somewhat limited functionality, no Capacitance, diode, db and has a limited voltage range of just 300V whereas modern meters will do 1,000V at least.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11122 on: May 23, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »
Something strangely hypnotic about incrementing the MS7221 in steps of 0.01mA and seeing the meter follow suite  :popcorn:

https://youtu.be/nkxxgGJc-pk

mnem
 :popcorn:  :wtf:  :popcorn:

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11123 on: May 23, 2018, 03:32:38 pm »
Well according to their price list they offer 2 types, one for your country only and an international one

Type of meter    Own Country      International
Hand Held           £42                   £64
Bench                 £64                   £83

But somehow I was quoted £50.40 so I guess they reduced it because by modern meter standards it has somewhat limited functionality, no Capacitance, diode, db and has a limited voltage range of just 300V whereas modern meters will do 1,000V at least.

hmm not too bad. I had the impression it would be more than that.

I need to find a good cal shop near my place.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11124 on: May 23, 2018, 03:41:32 pm »

Bet you a dollar after your conversation re: the Fluke calibration software, they found that they HAD the right software modules, and after a little digging, ALSO had the correct cabling to do the cal via the GPIB. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't need to move the switch to do it that way either. Probably all the techs who actually knew how to use the software had already retired or moved on to better-paying jobs.

mnem
*Back out into the suck*

Well, so much for that excuse. But the fucktard factor is kindof where I was headed with the rest of that suggestion. ;)

mnem
"The Code is more what you call guidelines, than actual rules..."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf