Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15255736 times)

wkb, cloudstrife87 and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12075 on: June 15, 2018, 08:41:13 pm »
tggzzz
JCB ?

A 54mph JCB would be a sight to see, but only from a safe distance :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12076 on: June 15, 2018, 08:50:30 pm »
tggzzz
JCB ?

Did you not see what the guys on Top Gear did to a Ford 5000 tractor ?

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12077 on: June 15, 2018, 08:58:06 pm »
tggzzz
JCB ?

Yep, sure did, brilliant program.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12078 on: June 15, 2018, 09:03:27 pm »
tggzzz
JCB ?

Yep, sure did, brilliant program.
We still don't know what tggzzz had that did 54mph, had 16 fwd gears and was Perkins powered.  :-//
Tractor of some sorts is the first thing that comes to mind.
Otherwise some sort of truck but the 16 gears is an unusual # for a truck.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:15:40 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12079 on: June 15, 2018, 10:19:14 pm »
We still don't know what tggzzz had that did 54mph, had 16 fwd gears and was Perkins powered.  :-//
If I recall it correctly, it was some type of Land Rover, albeit I do not know of such a transmission used on any of them. Somewhere he did already talk about it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12080 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:01 pm »
4 speed, high/low, overdrive. Had one myself. Ate wheel bearings once a quarter.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12081 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:30 pm »
If I recall it correctly, it was some type of Land Rover, albeit I do not know of such a transmission used on any of them. Somewhere he did already talk about it.
Ah yes, a Perkins powered one with overdrive fitted could nearly fit the bill.
I had a SIII with Rover 90 4.3:1 diff heads and overdrive as well powered by a 2850cc 6cyl Holden motor and that went pretty well......for a Mechano built tank of a thing.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12082 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:06 pm »
I keep hovering over the bid button on yet another digital scope (combiscope) 400Mhz this time which will be wholly funded by my sales on Ebay can I justify it, NO, I want it just the same, I already have 1 combiscope, 3 analogues as well, can't move for them and yet I'm drawn to this other one.  Thought for the day, if I strap a multimeter to my arm, will it work in the same fashion as a nicotine patch?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12083 on: June 15, 2018, 10:28:23 pm »
4 speed, high/low, overdrive. Had one myself. Ate wheel bearings once a quarter.
Really ?  :-//
Never had any problems with mine, what series did you have ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12084 on: June 15, 2018, 10:29:23 pm »
Locked into four wheel drive?
Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12085 on: June 15, 2018, 10:31:25 pm »
Weren't the Disco's that were built on Range Rover running gear all constant 4WD ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12086 on: June 15, 2018, 10:34:46 pm »
I keep hovering over the bid button on yet another digital scope (combiscope) 400Mhz this time which will be wholly funded by my sales on Ebay can I justify it, NO, I want it just the same, I already have 1 combiscope, 3 analogues as well, can't move for them and yet I'm drawn to this other one.  Thought for the day, if I strap a multimeter to my arm, will it work in the same fashion as a nicotine patch?  :-DD

I am suffering from regret now after not snagging that nice Hp 6268a. Don’t be me :)

Really ?  :-//
Never had any problems with mine, what series did you have ?

3. I ragged the fuck out of it though. And it was already ragged when I got it.

Only 2WD worked on that gear box. Well I tell I lie, 4WD worked but made a nasty smell come out of the box.

Weren't the Disco's that were built on Range Rover running gear all constant 4WD ?

Unknown. My father had one and it ate tyres so possible.

Actually got my eye on a 110 at the moment. Can get a lot of scopes in the back of one of them :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12087 on: June 15, 2018, 10:36:33 pm »
Maybe, I'm not sure but I had a friend who had a Landie and there was a factory fitted label on his dash that stated that it shouldnt be driven far on the highway while in 4 wheel drive. From that I deduce that vehicles designed to be driven in 4 wheel drive all the time must have some special arrangement to allow that to happen without causing damage like another differential between front and real drive shafts.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12088 on: June 15, 2018, 10:42:37 pm »

I am suffering from regret now after not snagging that nice Hp 6268a. Don’t be me :)

I don't fancy sleeping in the shed because I don't have one or the garage to be honest and SWMBO was not impressed that I made her come with to Cambridge to get the last one in order to get her out of the house. So with that in mind I need to tread very carefully, because to sneak that one in, I'd need to get rid of at least 2 or else she would see them all lining up on the landing or some such place giving the game away that I had yet another
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:51:48 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12089 on: June 15, 2018, 10:48:26 pm »
Maybe, I'm not sure but I had a friend who had a Landie and there was a factory fitted label on his dash that stated that it shouldnt be driven far on the highway while in 4 wheel drive. From that I deduce that vehicles designed to be driven in 4 wheel drive all the time must have some special arrangement to allow that to happen without causing damage like another differential between front and real drive shafts.
Series 3 and earlier didn't have a slip clutch or 3rd diff so didn't like being driven on hard surfaces in 4WD.
They were pretty basic and relied on the driver knowing what they were doing.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12090 on: June 15, 2018, 11:08:20 pm »
Did someone here snag this?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/the-big-one-that-got-away-hp-3458a-for-$199-bin-(sob)/

I console myself with (1) there's no way I would've caught that within the 10 minutes it was online, and (2) the seller's feedback rating is significantly lower than my threshold for purchasing on eBay.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12091 on: June 15, 2018, 11:20:55 pm »
Actually got my eye on a 110 at the moment. Can get a lot of scopes in the back of one of them :D

Get a Landie 101FC, you can fit a whole workshop in the back of one of them. Back when I used to get out into the wilds rather more often I came this || close to getting one once with the intent of converting it into a 'goes anywhere' camper van , still kind of regret that I didn't.

"Radio Body" version pictured. There were also soft top and field ambulance versions.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12092 on: June 15, 2018, 11:32:23 pm »
My second car was a brown cortina. I had that for three weeks. It died. When I say died, I hit the brakes and the engine came out.  :-DD

Maybe it was the reincarnation of the brown one I had when I lived alongside Hackney Downs.  Got stolen twice.  The second time, we went to the really disreputable area where it had been found, sans many parts, took one look and got out of there ASAP.  Called the insurance and told them to go get it - if they dared.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12093 on: June 15, 2018, 11:35:47 pm »
My second car was a brown cortina. I had that for three weeks. It died. When I say died, I hit the brakes and the engine came out.  :-DD

Maybe it was the reincarnation of the brown one I had when I lived alongside Hackney Downs.  Got stolen twice.  The second time, we went to the really disreputable area where it had been found, sans many parts, took one look and got out of there ASAP.  Called the insurance and told them to go get it - if they dared.
What area would be then?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12094 on: June 15, 2018, 11:42:54 pm »
Pretty keen on your bench mat mnementh.  :)

Got a job for one just like that today to check a rifle......got a bambi hunt booked for tomorrow.

It's the Fiskars 24" x 36" version; $20 @ Wally World. These are nice in that the flip side has the same exact graph and scales printed on it, only the dark grey and light grey are inverted.   I caught mine on "we fucked up the inventory sale" for $8.00 last summer; somebody mixed it up in the online inventory with the SKU for the 12" x 18" version. When I was actually able to get mine for that price, I bought the other three they had; traded one to a friend for a $45 flight controller and ESCs and family claimed the other two.

A word of warning... just like the green ones, these things STINK. They reek of polymer and sulphur forever unless you lay them outside in the sun for a week (not exaggerating in the least bit here) before you bring them inside. Don't forget to flip it over sometime around Wednesday so the other side can pass outgas, BTW.  |O Seriously; the only thing I ever had on my bench that smelled worse was a 3D printer fire.   :scared:

mnem
*Currently rebuilding a Casio Watch while I wait for my new MisFit activity tracker*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12095 on: June 16, 2018, 12:06:26 am »
Good work on the light saber but what the hell do you yanks do to our British cars? Fords are very reliable over here, Hmm could it be that your grease monkeys don't know how to service small engines that extract a lot of HP from very few CC's?

Thanks for the props; that hack was one of those where things were just on a roll; everything just came together and I didn't want to step away from it and break the flow. I didn't really wake up today until around noon; I had free-range kids daughter  :scared: running around and jumping on my tits from about 8AM tho.    :palm:

A lot of HP out of small CCs? Not from the engine in THAT thing... This was the original Cortina motor, a 4-cyl iron-head/iron-block pushrod dinosaur designed in the '50s ( I think for the Anglia   :o ) that made about 85 HP in its prime. Add stone-age emissions control from the '80s and a Holley 5200 series electric carburetor... that thing barely made enough  :horse:  HP to get out of its own way.

The first thing we teenagers did on them was to deplumb the engine, core out the cat and bolt on a non-electric 5200; then the damn thing could be counted on to get you to & from work. When inspection time came around, we'd put the stock air cleaner with all it's hosiery & crap back on the non-electric carb so they couldn't tell it had been gutted unless they were willing to poke around a half an inch of grease and oil from all that crap.

I didn't do that to mine until it hit 80K and started sucking oil back through the EGR; what a stinking mess THAT made of things.   :-- I was SO relieved to be rid of the three of them when I bought my first Honda Civic, I tell you what.  :box: :palm: :phew:

mnem
*Veteran of a thousand psychic wars used cars*
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:21:40 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12096 on: June 16, 2018, 12:17:29 am »
Pretty keen on your bench mat mnementh.  :)

Got a job for one just like that today to check a rifle......got a bambi hunt booked for tomorrow.

It's the Fiskars 24" x 36" version; $20 @ Wally World. These are nice in that the flip side has the same exact graph and scales printed on it, only the dark grey and light grey are inverted.   I caught mine on "we fucked up the inventory sale" for $8.00 last summer; somebody mixed it up in the online inventory with the SKU for the 12" x 18" version. When I was actually able to get mine for that price, I bought the other three they had; traded one to a friend for a $45 flight controller and ESCs and family claimed the other two.

A word of warning... just like the green ones, these things STINK. They reek of polymer and sulphur forever unless you lay them outside in the sun for a week (not exaggerating in the least bit here) before you bring them inside. Don't forget to flip it over sometime around Wednesday so the other side can pass outgas, BTW.  |O Seriously; the only thing I ever had on my bench that smelled worse was a 3D printer fire.   :scared:

mnem
*Currently rebuilding a Casio Watch while I wait for my new MisFit activity tracker*
Seems too nice to put holes in.  :(

Done my checks, POI 12-14" down @ 300 yds and just where it should be.
We might get some looooong shots tomorrow so need to on my game.
Bambi...yum !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12097 on: June 16, 2018, 12:22:36 am »

Yup, a series 2 (not even 2a) Land Rover.

Didn't have any problems with wheel bearings, but...
  • engine half fell out in a campsite car park. No problem since I just happened to have the relevant spare engine mounting (Doesn't everybody?)
  • on the way home from that camping trip, the half shaft spider joint got distinctly "worn". That's still in my display cabinent (alongside the Tek 465 CRT), soon to be joined by bits of the front spring from my Madza 2
  • fuel tank half fell off on the way to work. No problem, I had some spare bolts on board, so that was fixed in the car park
  • the gear between the halfshaft and the rear axles disintegrated. Even the mechanics commented on the noise as that entered the workshop :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12098 on: June 16, 2018, 12:23:19 am »
Good work on the light saber but what the hell do you yanks do to our British cars? Fords are very reliable over here, Hmm could it be that your grease monkeys don't know how to service small engines that extract a lot of HP from very few CC's?

A lot of HP out of small CCs? Not from the engine in THAT thing... This was the original Cortina motor, a 4-cyl iron-head/iron-block pushrod dinosaur designed in the '50s that made about 85 HP in its prime. Add stone-age emissions control from the '80s and a Holley 5200 series electric carburetor... that thing barely made enough  :horse:  HP to get out of its own way.

The first thing we teenagers did on them was to deplumb the engine, core out the cat and bolt on a non-electric 5200; then the damn thing could be counted on to get you to & from work. When inspection time came around, we'd put the stock air cleaner with all it's hosiery & crap back on the non-electric carb so they couldn't tell it had been gutted unless they were willing to poke around a half an inch of grease and oil from all that crap.

I didn't do that to mine until it hit 80K and started sucking oil back through the EGR; what a stinking mess THAT made of things.  :palm: I was SO relieved to be rid of the three of them when I bought my first Honda Civic, I tell you what.  :box: :palm: :phew:

mnem
*Veteran of a thousand psychic wars used cars*
Sounds like you had a completely setup to us Brits then.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12099 on: June 16, 2018, 12:25:02 am »
I presume you bolted it back in, and continued the journey. That's what I did :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf