Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549757 times)

magicmastja, ProtonFox, powerflux, SashPlane and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12675 on: July 01, 2018, 08:00:04 pm »
I haven’t actually seen any window AC units. We rented some floor standing tentacle monsters once when the building AC blew up and the machine room hit 50oC. Had one left so it was pointed up my butt for the entire of summer. This was a now demolished block in Farringdon which took the sun all day :(

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12676 on: July 01, 2018, 08:33:16 pm »
Yes well aware of that. Was thinking the Mepal / Chatteris outback. There are a few houses above sea level there.

Possibly. But not above river / 100 ft drain level :) Seriously.

Nothing around means nothing to get in the way of my antennas and no one to complain about the masts. Plus I rather like cycling and foraging and generally avoiding the human race.

Well, you'll certainly feel that you are in the heyday of ham life, i.e. 40 years ago.

Avoiding the human race: that's a little harsh.
Cycling: are you sure you appreciate (in both senses of the word) the wind?
Foraging: not really. When I wanted to forage, I went far far away.

Better check SWMBO appreciates life in the fens.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12677 on: July 01, 2018, 08:46:33 pm »
Do not fear. This is a well planned venture. I lived in March for 3 years before moving south to outside stansted.

There’s plenty to forage out there. Suffolk is a little better however and that is on the shortlist too.

Edit: I actually I got 30kg of fruit just going off the A47 a few years back. Apples, blackberries, elderberries, Rowan, the lot.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:52:10 pm by bd139 »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12678 on: July 01, 2018, 09:22:03 pm »
Too bloody hot to be outside  :(

Too bloody hot to solder as well. Double :(

Same here, ironically I could install my own AC (if I had the equipment & gas) now I have a bit of paper from some five day intensive training course at work a few months ago, just need some experience as the job hasn't started yet & the course only included a couple of hours on brazing, etc. :blah:.
Keeping it TEA related, it would be very useful with all these vacuum bulb filled boat anchors here.  :-DD

Also these gears arrived yesterday, it could take a while to retrieve the item were bought for as the RAM has failed, may need to do some TETRIS.

David
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:31:23 pm by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12679 on: July 01, 2018, 10:04:48 pm »
Do not fear. This is a well planned venture. I lived in March for 3 years before moving south to outside stansted.

There’s plenty to forage out there. Suffolk is a little better however and that is on the shortlist too.

Edit: I actually I got 30kg of fruit just going off the A47 a few years back. Apples, blackberries, elderberries, Rowan, the lot.
Yep, all heavily contaminated with very high levels of lead for good measure.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12680 on: July 01, 2018, 10:05:42 pm »

No it's not. I'm with Bd on that one. In fact...see pix.

Perhaps the a hole is actually me. If that's the case then so be it.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12681 on: July 01, 2018, 10:33:07 pm »
Well what a lovely day in the garden of England but a eefing nightmare journey home. Left airfield at 17.40, road outside airfield closed due a major road accident. Got diverted by police onto a road wide enough for one car only, good job have sat nav, no route info on the road at all.

Coming up towards Dartford tunnel, road sign said slow moving traffic for 7 miles. Slow? Didn't effing move at all. Took detour though Dartford to access the tunnel close and save time. Got within sight of it that was all, tunnel sign said closed.

Diverted to Blackwell Tunnel it was gridlocked 6 miles away. Anyway got home 20 mins ago,  4 3/4 hours to do 102miles WTF?

during this TEA item I was watching on the bar went for £82 way over my budget.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12682 on: July 01, 2018, 10:34:19 pm »

It is if its close to a road that's for dammed sure[emoji16]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12683 on: July 01, 2018, 11:27:56 pm »
Don't they sell portable window A/C units over there? (See pix for example). They can be very effective and very efficient if sized properly.

That's what I have. It's either an 8K or 10K BTU unit (forget which). Installed in a bedroom window. I have a box fan on the floor between the bedroom and living room to circulate the cool air through out the apartment. Works perfectly.   :-+

Up to about 10K BTU you can operate it off 120V mains. Larger than that requires a 240V tap. You guys would certainly have the advantage here since you are 240V   

Got something like that too. 12k BTU and is cooling down the whole main floor. Its weird if they don't have windows or wall mount AC in UK. Here homedepot is full of those.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12684 on: July 01, 2018, 11:38:24 pm »
Well what a lovely day in the garden of England but a eefing nightmare journey home. Left airfield at 17.40, road outside airfield closed due a major road accident. Got diverted by police onto a road wide enough for one car only, good job have sat nav, no route info on the road at all.

Coming up towards Dartford tunnel, road sign said slow moving traffic for 7 miles. Slow? Didn't effing move at all. Took detour though Dartford to access the tunnel close and save time. Got within sight of it that was all, tunnel sign said closed.

Diverted to Blackwell Tunnel it was gridlocked 6 miles away. Anyway got home 20 mins ago,  4 3/4 hours to do 102miles WTF?

Next time consider the Woolwich Ferry or Rotherhithe Tunnel - for some reason they seem to be secrets unless you're a local. Last weekend there was a two mile, barely moving tailback north on the Blackwall Tunnel. I nipped across Greenwich to Rotherhithe and drove straight through. At Woolwich, on a good day you'll get onto the ferry in 10-15 minutes, on a bad one you'll have a 45 minute wait but at least you'll be parked, not crawling through stop-start traffic.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12685 on: July 02, 2018, 12:24:41 am »

I was thinking of fungi. What did you do with the rowan? I only know of one thing: rowan and crab apple jelly, which is delicious with game.

BTW, beware "going back", whether psychological, geographical, or financial. It rarely works because you are a different person, and everything else has changed.

In my ignorance, I would have thought Suffolk was less monotonous.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12686 on: July 02, 2018, 12:32:10 am »
Nice work. What holiday is it over there? This Wednesday is our Holiday (7/4) which is the day we celebrate our independence from....ahem....you guys!  :-DD

hmmmmm.  that independence thing isn't working out for me.  swmbo still considers herself a loyal subject of the queen.  ya' think there is a chance they would take her back?

watched fireworks over in Gettysburg last night from the front porch, but I think it was a battle reenactment event.  they should have another display on the 4th...….but swmbo will probably make me watch her recording of the royal wedding (again).

am thinking about breaking out a bottle of wild turkey hidden away since my retirement, and having a real TEA party on the 4th.

bought an hp 54504a last week advertised as "parts only, powers up" (45 bucks +shipping).  only wanted it to pull the ps as a spare for my 54502a.  only took half an hour of fiddling to get it working and 20 minutes to run the internal cal.  damn!  gotta' keep the pig now.  damn this disease!

free range primate

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12687 on: July 02, 2018, 12:39:22 am »
bought an hp 54504a last week advertised as "parts only, powers up" (45 bucks +shipping).  only wanted it to pull the ps as a spare for my 54502a.  only took half an hour of fiddling to get it working and 20 minutes to run the internal cal.  damn!  gotta' keep the pig now.  damn this disease!

LOL! Just when you thought you had some spare parts, the thing decides it isn't that broken. Yep, that's the TEA talking.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12688 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:13 am »

Next time consider the Woolwich Ferry or Rotherhithe Tunnel - for some reason they seem to be secrets unless you're a local. Last weekend there was a two mile, barely moving tailback north on the Blackwall Tunnel. I nipped across Greenwich to Rotherhithe and drove straight through. At Woolwich, on a good day you'll get onto the ferry in 10-15 minutes, on a bad one you'll have a 45 minute wait but at least you'll be parked, not crawling through stop-start traffic.
I agree, thing is though that I was trying to get back to Essex and was going further into London all the time  :palm: Also of course, I didn't know what time the ferry stopped, as it was 21.00 when I was at Blackwall.

Had they been more honest about the tunnel being closed on the overhead signs of the M2, instead they said "slow traffic", then I'd have stayed on the M2 /A2  and then again, traffic info about Blackwell tunnel would have been helpul then I'd have tried Woolwich Ferry.
Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12689 on: July 02, 2018, 01:10:59 am »
Not test equip. though, recent awesome scores, 3 bucks a piece.  >:D

One of them will be used to replace a TEA related equipment's power supply.

Nice converters and good recovery to the thread's topic.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #12690 on: July 02, 2018, 01:50:53 am »
Don't they sell portable window A/C units over there? (See pix for example). They can be very effective and very efficient if sized properly.

That's what I have. It's either an 8K or 10K BTU unit (forget which). Installed in a bedroom window. I have a box fan on the floor between the bedroom and living room to circulate the cool air through out the apartment. Works perfectly.   :-+

Up to about 10K BTU you can operate it off 120V mains. Larger than that requires a 240V tap. You guys would certainly have the advantage here since you are 240V   

Actually, GE makes a 14K BTU unit that runs on 120V @ 15A.  The blower motor failed and we got one of these to cool the main living areas for the furry family members for 3 days before we were able to get the house AC repaired.  It covered about 700 ft2
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12691 on: July 02, 2018, 05:31:41 am »

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog. BTW, my dog's a complete fuckwit." ~ me  :-DD

In other news... picked up a Pioneer VSX-917V DTS receiver today from CL for 30 clams with a eukered HDMI board... I didn't have the heart to try and dicker even a bit, as the remote's worth that on fleaBay and I can always just use it via TOSLINK. Got home, committed some Guugle-Fu; www.umlib.com FTW with Owners & Service Manuals, plus complete schizzmatics for FREE.

Suh-Weet!

Okies... past midnight, time for me to turn into a pumpkin as I have a work order tomorrow.

mnem
"Tuesday." That's as good a answer as any I could give you.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12692 on: July 02, 2018, 06:09:44 am »
Thanks for the manual repository link. Can never have enough sources for manuals.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12693 on: July 02, 2018, 06:51:27 am »

I was thinking of fungi. What did you do with the rowan? I only know of one thing: rowan and crab apple jelly, which is delicious with game.

BTW, beware "going back", whether psychological, geographical, or financial. It rarely works because you are a different person, and everything else has changed.

In my ignorance, I would have thought Suffolk was less monotonous.

Rowan wine. Stuff is like drinking tasty petrol.  Made it a few times. Also cider.

@specmaster: not literally off the side of the main road. About 500m off it.

I’m not “going back” with any memories as such. The plan is basically a retirement foothold measure. Suffolk, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire depending on what is available. There’s a sweet spot band across there where it’s less crap than the surrounding areas and allows me to expand floor space and land which allows the procurement of larger and probably more dangerous toys :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12694 on: July 02, 2018, 09:04:08 am »

In this case the hole is in my head.

I was attempting, and totally failing, to imply that many fenlanders don't come across as entirely human.

There's the infamous notation on doctors' notes: NFN, or "normal for norfolk" implying that the patient has a limited intellect. I'm sure there's the equivalent for the fens.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12695 on: July 02, 2018, 09:08:35 am »
Rowan wine. Stuff is like drinking tasty petrol.

Wow. Given its astringency, I'm surprised it is possible to drink it.

Mind you, a wine importer / hotelier was once quite candid about his product: the only generalisation about wine is that the more you drink the better it gets.

Now, where's that last misshapen Coke bottle of elderflower fizz? I'll have some when the sun's gon down :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12696 on: July 02, 2018, 09:46:58 am »

I was attempting, and totally failing, to imply that many fenlanders don't come across as entirely human.

There's the infamous notation on doctors' notes: NFN, or "normal for norfolk" implying that the patient has a limited intellect. I'm sure there's the equivalent for the fens.

I had to look up what "Fenlanders" are/is. Over here I can't think of any particular class or locale of folks that I would classify that way. In reality over here it cuts across all racial/ethnic boundaries. Some folks are just plain stupid.  :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12697 on: July 02, 2018, 09:58:27 am »
OK, let me bring us back to TEA. For a while I've been contemplating as to what to do with that space above the Flukes. It's just begging for something to occupy it. Ebay has come to the rescue and provided the answer. It should be here in a few days. I'm not going to say what it is just yet but of course when it arrives I will give full details as well as naughty pron.  :-+

I will provide a clue....I love the look of ruby red LED displays in the morning.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12698 on: July 02, 2018, 10:15:21 am »

I had to look up what "Fenlanders" are/is. Over here I can't think of any particular class or locale of folks that I would classify that way. In reality over here it cuts across all racial/ethnic boundaries. Some folks are just plain stupid.  :palm:

My apologies for the translation difficulties.

The Fens were until quite recently very marshy. They were a traditional place for those that wished to escape from justice/armies/etc to hide out for a long time. More recently the marshes have been drained and it is now prime agricultural land. However, it is still something of a backwater, with too much inbreeding and an overall atmosphere of never having moved out of the 1960s.

Another similar backwater is the Forest of Dean - where there are still "freeminers" that dig out coal with a pick and shovel (and possibly even pit ponies!).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12699 on: July 02, 2018, 11:21:14 am »
Check out this unexpected pron. What we have here are the internal structures of a 450 lumen LED bulb (left) and an 800 lumen LED bulb (right). And how did I get these plus 2 others? By simply installing them in the 2 gooseneck lamps I recently bought. For some reason the glass bulb spontaneously shatters at the base and falls off. I don't have to touch or move the lamps. I hear this “clink” and the bulb falls off. I have no idea why. And the LED's continue to function. It is really weird.

I haven't had this happen in any other lamps. And I'm not screwing them in real tight either. As I stated the bulbs continue to function so I'll be damned if I'm going to throw them away. Just don't go sticking your fingers up there with power on and possibly get a shock.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf